2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

11 minutes ago, Scraps said:

If Meyers is actually starting today I may drop 2 bills on him hitting a homer.  I am guessing on the site I use he will be like +800 

Supposed to start in CF.  Him hitting a HR off Castillo seems.......optimistic

36 minutes ago, Scraps said:

If Meyers is actually starting today I may drop 2 bills on him hitting a homer.  I am guessing on the site I use he will be like +800 

+800 doesn't seem like very good odds to me. He has been so shitty this year I'd think his true odds were something like 1 in 20 to hit a HR in any particular game, but I don't know shit about fuck with that kind of bet. 

Supposed to start in CF.  Him hitting a HR off Castillo seems.......optimistic
Well i don't have a hard on for Dusty like most here. He makes the right move waaaay more than he makes the wrong one since he had been Astros mgr but haters gonna hate
+800 doesn't seem like very good odds to me. He has been so shitty this year I'd think his true odds were something like 1 in 20 to hit a HR in any particular game, but I don't know shit about fuck with that kind of bet. 
No one is over +900
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yordan doesn't have to prove shit to anybody, he's already been an ALCS MVP and hit a Lidgian walkoff in a huge moment, but wouldn't it be fuckin awesome if he went ballistic like Beltran in '04? That was the most insane hot streak I've ever seen from a hitter in the postseason.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

55 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Tell Rob Manfred to suck it by giving him the finger and bring the GOAT back to the H. 

22 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Miss that dude and wish him all the best.  I'll always be a fan.  But he was the man in charge, and that is who has to take the fall - even if it was all MLB kabuki..

He was suspended for one year, he has been gone for three. Bring him back, hire Espada before anyone can steal him away, and make the Death Stros fully operational.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Somebody go for it:

Blue Crow Data Engineer

Full Job Description

We are seeking several full-time Data Engineers to join Blue Crow Analytics in helping sporting organizations make better decisions and drive on-field performance. As a Data Engineer you’ll be responsible for helping build v1 of our data platform which will be foundational to our success. In addition to making sure our data is centralized, unified and accurate, you will be working alongside our Data Science team to collaborate on feature engineering and model productionization.

This position is based in Houston, Texas. There are no remote options available.

8 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I agree, but I’d like to see him in left if that’s the case. Hate to lose his versatility by making him DH.

I guess the Stros agree with the general sentiment (aka the numbers fully support) Yordan being a better hitter when playing LF rather than DH. Certainly with our home park dimensions. I’d give that up over using his versatility to get him in the lineup for 4 ABs. 

5 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

I guess the Stros agree with the general sentiment (aka the numbers fully support) Yordan being a better hitter when playing LF rather than DH. Certainly with our home park dimensions. I’d give that up over using his versatility to get him in the lineup for 4 ABs. 

I can see that side as well…my only counterpoint would be this brings Dubon into play for Dusty, and I’m really not a fan of that.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Damn they need to move the game time 

I very selfishly want it to stay where it is.  I'm a WFH guy, so it's easy to keep a window open with the game.  Plus, it's my anniversary, and I can take my wife out to dinner without getting in trouble for checking the score every 5 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Guadaloopy said:

I very selfishly want it to stay where it is.  I'm a WFH guy, so it's easy to keep a window open with the game.  Plus, it's my anniversary, and I can take my wife out to dinner without getting in trouble for checking the score every 5 minutes.

Your mistake (getting married in October) shouldn’t result in the rest of us getting punished

(says the guy who chose a significant other with a birthday tomorrow so I’m usually right there with you on mid-oct balancing act between first love and the person chosen to spend rest of life with)

On 10/12/2022 at 10:20 AM, Slacks said:

I'm going to have to say this again...

Do y'all remember 6 months ago? Do you remember April?

The Mariners beat the Astros in Seattle a couple of times...  badly. 

SurlyMonkeys started flinging poo against the glass...  

"OmG, DuStY cAnT eVn Fi11 oUt a LiNEup CarD!"

"ThIs tEAm NEVER hiTs for VeRLAnder!!!!"

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHhhhh, I want my Mommy...."

SnacksInSlacks: Chill, Honey Bunny.

Surly: NO MOTHAFUCKER, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!! WE'RE TWO WEEKS IN AND WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!

Slacks: These dudes are going to run away with the AL.  Chill. There was no preseason.

SURLY: GOTDAAMIT!!!! PRESEASON DOESNT MATTER! ONLY DUSTY! KILL HIM!

October 11: "Yaaaaaaaaaaay!"

and with your crushed spirit.

That’s a pretty long winded way to say “we are going to win”

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Your mistake (getting married in October) shouldn’t result in the rest of us getting punished

(says the guy who chose a significant other with a birthday tomorrow so I’m usually right there with you on mid-oct balancing act between first love and the person chosen to spend rest of life with)

I was active duty at the time, so we didn't have a very large window of opportunity where I had leave between duty stations.  It worked out fine, because she is an OU grad and our anniversary always falls within a week or so of TX/OU weekend, which is fun.  It also happens to be the Navy's Birthday, so for years we had a built in fancy event where we could celebrate.

One of the biggest fights we ever had was during our first anniversary actually being together (missed the first two because of deployments) when I "went to the bathroom" during dinner and popped into the restaurant bar to check on game 1 of the 2004 NLCS.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

that's cool but in the interest of accuracy he didn't actually catch that ball, the seat behind him caught it.

eh, he didn't make money off it, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

54 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

there was a whole thing on twitter on tuesday where guys were texting their wives/gf "hey, i'm skipping the football game tonight so we can watch one of our shows!"

then people posted screenshots.  a few were like, "oh, that's so sweet, let's try that netflix period piece blah blah".  a lot of them were like, "there is no football on tuesday night you mother fucker".  then some of them were like, "no no, covid pushed some games around, it's crazy!"  which really didn't work either.  it was all pretty amusing.

• Like 1