Orange White Spring Game, Sat. April 23rd (Gates Open 4pm. Game starts 6pm)

LTtxfan

Lol at everyone freaking out about a zero-sum spring “game” that was 1s vs 2s all game. 

My biggest takeaway is that our 2s suck compared to the 1s. They got dominated on both sides. Shocker. 

The OL was pretty weak on both sides. Another shocker. 

2nd string WRs like dropping passes.

Card made some good throws over the middle. Ewers had some nice throws and some bad ones. Kinda like a guy with tons of talent but who should be a high school senior (another shocker).

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The lower bowl ended up filling up to about 65-70% of capacity, I’d guess. The south end zone at the field level was packed with people as well. Suites were 30% full. I think that probably gets you decently north of 40,000. 

You certainly made the right choice to go in person, had you attempted to watch on LHN, you would have seen perhaps 50% of the on-field activity? I actually can’t really put a percentage on it, because you can’t know what you didn’t see. 

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Lol at everyone freaking out about a zero-sum spring “game” that was 1s vs 2s all game. 

My biggest takeaway is that our 2s suck compared to the 1s. They got dominated on both sides. Shocker. 

The OL was pretty weak on both sides. Another shocker. 

2nd string WRs like dropping passes.

Card made some good throws over the middle. Ewers had some nice throws and some bad ones. Kinda like a guy with tons of talent but who should be a high school senior (another shocker).

Wrong. He should be a true freshman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Decent 247 poster comments...

Credit to the beat reporters reporting on the team… I saw almost exactly what I expected to see based on reports.

• Card commands the offense, gets rid of the ball, but still uncomfortable sitting in the pocket and missing the big throws
  • Ewers looks better on the majority of snaps, then makes a WTF throw right to a defender he should’ve seen pre-snap
  • OL is a jumbled mess of a MASH unit. Need guys to get back healthy, the 6 newcomers can’t get here soon enough, and a transfer or two would be huge
  • Sanders and Helm both looking legit as blockers and receivers. Sanders had the better day receiving but solid blocking, and I saw Helm spring a couple good runs with seals on the edge
  • Billingsley was as reported. BUT, little difference here, I also saw some physicality I didn’t expect. He crunched an edge rusher coming free as he came across the pocket on pre-snap motion that gave the QB time to make a play.
  • More to come later

Pretty funny when Vacarro and Griff called out terrible coverage by Jamison on Xavier easy TD.

247 quote

"Our SENIOR cb in Jamison failing to recognize inside leverage in the red zone and getting beat on the touchdown to Worthy and being called out by Vacarro and Griffin on the LHN broadcast as a "Day 1 install"

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Some observations from in person viewing.  

Safeties look improved over last year, addition by subtraction, and some actual addition.  Allen looked great, and Crawford had one play to the flat that he overran badly, but his reaction time and speed are nice and overall looked great as well.  

Watts dominated Dixon, no contest at all.  Watts vs Neyor was a much better battle and I like what I saw from both of these guys.

Helm is hands down the best blocker and will see a lot of the field this season because of it.  

God help us if we ever have to field Washington, Dixon, and Harrison together in a real game.  

In person Ewers was underwhelming, but the few times he was given a not complete ass OL and WR targets he made good reads and good throws.  Card exhibited the sharpest arm and footwork, but since he can't hit the deep ball he's practically useless long term in a sark offense

Throw most everything else out regarding the offense, there really needs to be a lot more 1s v 1s in practice sessions

This hardly needs repeating but fuck Herb Hand

giphy.gif

55 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Ewers had some nice throws and some bad ones. Kinda like a guy with tons of talent but who should be a high school senior (another shocker).

Don’t be a dumb ass and parrot bullshit. 

Ewers had a fall camp, a fall season, a spring camp, and is 19 years. He is at the end of his freshman year in college just like he should be. 

Look in the mirror and repeat “Today I am going to try to not be a dumb ass.” every day until you stop posting shit like this. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

8CF8F652-F9CC-43C8-9E0B-45CD3B62F446.thumb.png.8a8dd2ba67454ff0969e5f4583214ef4.png

good takes, only other thing I’ll add I love that Crawford/Thompson battle at FS. I think it’ll bring the most out of each player. . 

I honestly think this defense can be decent but we need the ones who are suppose to be good to be “”Good” 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I’ll also add Jamison was really disappointing!!! I seen two missed tackles and he gave up the inside on a long TD, like come on your a Senior and 3 year starter . If Crawford can man that FS I would love to see Thompson at NB he looked (better) and Barron at the other CB spot opposite of Watts (also looked good) ( I don’t think Brooks is ready just yet) 

Quick takes from the Texas spring game

By. FUCK CHIP BROWN 57 minutes ago

AUSTIN, Texas — In Texas' Saturday night Orange-White spring finale, quarterbacks Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers both had some WOW plays and some not-so-wow plays.

The offensive line can’t get those talented six freshman arriving in June on campus soon enough.

Morice Blackwell needs to be on the field. He had three hits that stood out in the scrimmage, including a goal-line stuffing of Jaydon Blue that kept the offense out of the end zone during a red zone drill from the 25.

Wyoming transfer receiver Isaiah Neyor, who had a 62-yard touchdown reception on a perfect pass from Ewers, is going to help this team.

Texas' ultimate, whatever-it-takes football player Roschon Johnson delivered stiff-arms to Terrance Brooks and Devin Richardson that will give RoJo bragging rights through the off-season.

Receivers Jordan Whittington and Xavier Worthy seemed to pick up where they left off last season with Worthy catching a 25-yard touchdown pass from Ewers during red zone work.

Texas’ safety position, a melting pot of players who moved from other positions, showed up big in the scrimmage. Anthony Cook had an interception of Ewers. Blackwell and Kitan Crawford had big hits. So did nickel Jahdae Barron! And Jerrin Thompson probably had the defensive play of the game, ripping the ball out of tight end Ja'Tavion Sanders' hands as Sanders was attempting to bull his way into the end zone.

Let’s take a closer look:

Ewers showed off his arm talent on a perfectly thrown touchdown pass to Neyor off of play-action and used a three-quarter arm slot to connect with tight end Ja’Tavion Sanders as Ovie Oghoufo was closing in on Ewers.

But Ewers showed his inexperience on a deep pass thrown into traffic that was easily picked off by Cook.

Roschon Johnson showed why he’s one of the most valuable players on the Texas offense on a 56-yard touchdown run in which he cut through a line of defenders before stiff-arming Terrance Brooks, who had a clean shot at Johnson and whiffed.

Play of the two-minute drill:

At the 23-yard-line with 10 seconds left in two-minute drill in a battle of 1s-vs-1s, Hudson Card threw a perfect strike to tight end Ja’Tavion Sanders on an in-route at the 8, and Sanders bulled his way to the 2, where he was then met by three defenders and had the ball ripped out of his hands by safety Jerrin Thompson.

Ewers then attempted to run the two-minute drill with the second-team offense against the second-team defense, and it was basically a three-and-out.

Red zone work:

Ewers got the first chance at a red zone drill from the 25 with the first-team offense against the first-team defense but could manage only 2 yards before Bert Auburn came on to kick a 36-yard field goal that barely bent inside the right goal post.

Card then took the field with the second-team offense against the second-team defense from the 25 and hit Marcus Washington on a play-action pass, and Washington spun out of a tackle and ran for another 6 yards to the 8.

Jaydon Blue ran for 5 yards to the 3. Card missed Washington on a corner route in the end zone, and then Morice Blackwell came up big AGAIN with a huge hit on Blue on an inside handoff for no gain.

On the final play from the 3, Card couldn’t connect with Kelvontay Dixon on a slant route at the goal line.

Ewers then took the field with the 1s against the first-team defense from the 25, and on the second play, hit Xavier Worthy on a perfectly thrown skinny post for a 25-yard touchdown with D’Shawn Jamison in coverage.

Card returned for a final red zone drive from the 25 with the second-team offense and was called for intentional grounding after throwing the ball away to avoid a sack by Jett Bush.

On the next play, a screen pass from Card to Jaydon Blue was sniffed out and blown up by linebacker David Gbenda, setting up third-and-long.

Card hit Dixon on a pass to the original line of scrimmage, and Auburn missed a 43-yard field goal attempt from the left hash (badly) wide right.

And that wrapped up the scrimmage.

Ewers ran a series with the second-team offense with Junior Angilau at center.

After a short completion, Ewers threw behind Casey Cain and then had a 10-yard pass dropped by Dajon Harrison, who got popped by Jahdae Barron on the play.

Ewers then got a series with the first-team offense, but that series was dominated by hard hits from the second-team defense delivered by Kitan Crawford, Morice Blackwell and Jamier Johnson.

After a poor snap by Angilau that rolled back to Hudson Card, forcing Card to pick up the ball off the turf, Card was sacked by D.J. Harris.

Hudson Card delivered a perfect strike to Jordan Whittington on a 15-yard slant at the 5 against the second-team defense. Card ran it in for a touchdown on the next play.

It looked like the offense was going for two points after the TD, and freshman defensive tackle Aaron Bryant knifed into the backfield and dropped Jonathon Brooks for a 2-yard loss.

In what appeared to be a do-over from the 5, Card dropped back to pass but ended up running for the two-point conversion.

The second drive of the scrimmage was the second-team offense against the first-team offense.

Ewers barely overthrew Dajon Harrison on a deep ball, but followed that up with a nice play-action pass to Neyor for a nice gain.

Jonathon Brooks took a handoff around right end and stepped through a missed tackle by cornerback Ryan Watts into the defense’s territory.

With Ovie Oghoufo bearing down on him, Ewers used a three-quarters arm angle to get the ball around Oghoufo to Ja’Tavion Sanders for a pickup to the defense’s 26.

Marcus Washington had Ewers’ pass go through his hands on first down. Ewers threw it away on second down, and Ewers barely missed Kelvontay Dixon in the end zone against physical coverage by Ryan Watts.

That set up a 44-yard field goal attempt by Bert Auburn, and Auburn nailed it.

The opening drive of the scrimmage saw Hudson Card work with the first-team offense against the second-team defense, and Card came out hot with completions to Xavier Worthy, Roschon Johnson and Isaiah Neyor as the offense moved into defense’s side of the field.

Johnson had a nice run behind pulling Jake Majors and Junior Angilau, and Jordan Whittington caught a screen and picked up a nice block from Gunnar Helm.

Keilan Robinson bounced a handoff to the outside from the 7 but Kitan Crawford knocked him out of bounds just before the goal line. Roschon Johnson scored on a 1-yard counter play on the next play.

Hit of the scrimmage candidate came on the third drive on a sideline blast of Xavier Worthy by safety Morice Blackwell. Whap!!

Weakside linebacker and last year's leading tackler DeMarvion Overshown played in the first couple series Saturday and then spent the rest of the scrimmage on the sideline in sunglasses.

When the third-team offense got some run late in the scrimmage, quarterback Charles Wright’s series came to a quick end when he fumbled the ball at the mesh point with running back Jaden Hullaby, and it was recovered by David Abiara.

Ben Ballard replaced Wright and completed a couple passes before Cole Lourd came in for a few reps.

In special teams drills, Bert Auburn booted three straight kickoffs into the end zone, including two touchbacks. His fourth kickoff appeared to be a pooch kick (it landed at the 10). Freshman Will Stone, a member of UT's top-five 2022 recruiting class, arrives on campus in June.

In one-on-ones between the offensive and defensive line in pre-scrimmage drills, Byron Murphy continues to be the unofficial champ.

Murphy got by center Jake Majors and made quick work of D-lineman-turned-O-lineman Sawyer Goram-Welch.

Majors battled Keondre Coburn to a draw; as did Hayden Conner in his battle with Ovie Oghoufo.

In one of the better matchups, freshman guard Cole Hutson battled to a draw with Vernon Broughton.

Jerrin Thompson finished the second half of spring really well at field safety, according to team sources, edging out Kitan Crawford, who got most of the first-team reps at field safety (along with boundary safety Anthony Cook) in the first half of spring. That battle will continue into fall camp.

Sophomore JD Coffey missed the last week of spring with a right knee injury, and every rep matters in the battle at safety, where Morice Blackwell made big strides at boundary safety.

During pre-game drills, the first-team defense had a four-man line of Alfred Collins, Keondre Coburn, T'Vondre Sweat and Barryn Sorrell.

Ovie Oghoufo was at outside linebacker; Jaylan Ford at middle linebacker and DeMarvion Overshown at weak side linebacker.

Anthony Cook and Jerrin Thompson were at safety, and D'Shawn Jamison was the field cornerback while Ryan Watts was the boundary cornerback.

The first-team offensive line on Saturday was Hayden Conner at left tackle, Junior Angilau at left guard, Jake Majors at center, Cole Hutson at right guard and Christian Jones at right tackle.

The second-team O-line was: Michael Balis at left tackle, Sawyer Goram-Welch at left guard, Logan Parr at center, Max Merril at right guard and Jaylen Garth at right tackle.

In warm-ups, Isaac Pearson punted from the 42 of the south end and showed an array of punts: rugby style, a punt with backspin that landed inside the 5 and bounced backward in addition to a standard “boom” punt.

Sarkisian said this week he’s pleased with how both Pearson and long snapper Zach Edwards, who is replacing graduated snapper Justin Mader.

my observations from being there.

after the first few drives, the D looked to be going through the motions. i think it was on purpose. when it was the 2 mins drill, you can see that they were actually trying.

the Oline looked really tired which I think led to the decision of the first point above.

card is still missing too many open receivers. on one play, card scrambled to his right. X streaking down the sideline with the db 10 yards behind. no way card should've missed that. easy touchdown.

on another play, card simply missed sanders running open between the LBs and the safeties for an easy 25 yard throw.

billingsley looked disinterested. the one pass that i remember him catching, he was lollygagging running a crossing route. i think he was surprised as shit that ewers threw to him.

neyor is going to score a lot of touchdowns if our QBs don't suck at throwing deep balls. he has no problem getting behind dbs.

christian jones still sucks. i'm convinced if the d were trying, our qbs would not have any time to throw the ball. 

crowd was bigger than last year. weather was perfect. nice cool breeze blowing through the stadium.

edit:

there were a few times when the defenders had clean shots at ball carriers and receivers and didn't take them. they definitely weren't going 100%. the O looked much better than they should've.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I really didn't like the practice format today -- neither QB was able to build a whole lot of confidence tonight.  This team still makes too many mistakes.  Not sure how SARK runs his practices, but these current players need tons of reps to better learn their responsibilities.

Also there are lots of changes and inexperience at several positions on this team -- these damn D-linemen need to really step up and be more dominant.  

Ewars was clearly better and was a breath of fresh air at the position. He doesn’t have scared feet, and he looks to make plays, not solely hitting dump offs and stuff underneath. He still needs to get better, but the things he needs to improve look like things that will get better with repAs/coaching/practice. The stuff that’s inherent to the player all looked great to me. Natural passer that stays calm in the pocket.

And card is a lot better than whoever we got after him. So there is that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I feel like people are being overly negative because they don’t want to get hurt again. I saw some good things out of both sides of the ball. Both sides of the ball dominated the 2nd strings for stretches of the game. That’s what you want to see realistically. Other than that you can’t tell much except the game was fairly evenly matched. Could mean we suck, we are average, or show me a loss. 

I get it, going with we suck is the easiest because we have for so long and Sark hasn’t shown he can be anything more than average as a head coach. But it’s also a really lazy take based off this spring game. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Ewars was clearly better and was a breath of fresh air at the position. He doesn’t have scared feet, and he looks to make plays, not solely hitting dump offs and stuff underneath. He still needs to get better, but the things he needs to improve look like things that will get better with repAs/coaching/practice. The stuff that’s inherent to the player all looked great to me. Natural passer that stays calm in the pocket.

And card is a lot better than whoever we got after him. So there is that.

I didn’t look after Texas season ended, but last year Texas had a QB that led the Big 12 in Ints per attempt (in a bad way). Ewers is a gunslinger, the difference did he can make the great throws also

7 minutes ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

I feel like people are being overly negative because they don’t want to get hurt again. I saw some good things out of both sides of the ball. Both sides of the ball dominated the 2nd strings for stretches of the game. That’s what you want to see realistically. Other than that you can’t tell much except the game was fairly evenly matched. Could mean we suck, we are average, or show me a loss. 

I get it, going with we suck is the easiest because we have for so long and Sark hasn’t shown he can be anything more than average as a head coach. But it’s also a really lazy take based off this spring game. 

Edited by Ghost of Shag