The Twitter Debate

Neonmoon

lulz

Eli Lilly CEO says insulin tweet flap “probably” signals need to bring down cost

In his first public remarks since a false tweet inflamed outrage over the cost of insulin in the US, Eli Lilly CEO David Ricks defended his company's pricing—but also conceded it could be lower.

"It probably highlights that we have more work to do to bring down the cost of insulin for more people,” Ricks said of the Twitter fury.

He made his comments at an event held by Stat News this week. Eli Lilly did not respond to Ars' request for more information about what work the company will do to lower prices.
Ricks' comments were made just a few days after a false tweet from a fake-but-blue-checkmarked account posing as Eli Lilly stated: "We are excited to announce insulin is free now."

The tweet quickly amassed thousands of likes and hundreds of retweets as Eli Lilly tried to get Twitter to remove it. According to a report from The Washington Post, there was panic within Eli Lilly as staff tried to contact Twitter employees but didn't get a response for hours. Ricks acknowledged this week that the company struggled to get the tweet removed and found the situation "disappointing."

"It misled people and we wanted to get that corrected quickly. It probably didn’t happen quickly enough to our liking," he said. "And it demonstrates some of the challenges on that platform."

With the false tweet up for many hours—and other spoof Eli Lilly accounts piling on—the real company took things into its own hands, tweeting from its verified account: "We apologize to those who have been served a misleading message from a fake Lilly account. Our official Twitter account is @LillyPad." But it did little to dampen the outcry, with Twitter users responding: "Apologize to diabetics for price gouging," and "Why don't you make affordable insulin instead of apologizing?"

The Twitter wrath stems from longstanding frustration with US drug pricing, which is uniquely high, particularly for insulin, which is a cheap drug to make. Many patients with diabetes in the US can easily see bills in the hundreds of dollars for a few vials a month, and a recent study found that 1.3 million Americans ration their insulin.

Pricing and profits
Eli Lilly's brand-name product, Humalog U-100, an insulin analogue (its generic name is insulin lispro), has a list price of $274.70 for a single 10 mL vial, for instance. The company also offers a cheaper, non-branded generic product, called Lispro Injection U-100, with a list price of $82.41.

But a study in 2018 published in BMJ Global Health found that the cost to make insulin, including the more modern analogue versions like lispro, generally ranged from around $2 to $6 for a 10mL vial. The study looked at the manufacturing costs of old and new insulin products, accounting for ingredients, formulation, transport, and regulatory costs. The cost of making a vial of regular human insulin ranged from $2.28 to $3.37. The cost of the newer analogue drugs ranged from $3.69 to $6.16. Insulin lispro, the analogue that Eli Lilly makes, had an estimated manufacturing cost of $4.52 to $6.16 per vial. Taking the higher end of that estimate, the list prices of Eli Lilly's branded and generic products are roughly 45-fold and 13-fold higher, respectively.

Another study in 2018, conducted by the RAND Corporation, found that such markups are unique to the US. The study compared the 2018 pricing of various insulin products in the US with the pricing in 32 other OECD countries (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development). The study found that US list prices were often set five to 10 times higher than those of other countries. In 2018, the average price for a standard unit of all types of insulin in the US stood at $98.70, while the average price among all the other OECD countries was $8.81.

The analysis focused on list prices, not patients' out-of-pocket costs, which can be lowered by co-pays, rebates, and other discounts. Still, the analysis suggested that even after rebates, US prices were still about four times higher than those of other countries.

Outcry over US insulin pricing—among pricing of other vital prescription drugs—has been raging for years, leading to some modest improvements. For instance, the current list price of Eli Lilly's generic Lispro Injection is 40 percent lower than it was in 2021. The company lowered it amid public backlash. And the new Inflation Reduction Act, signed into law in August, will cap insulin costs for people on Medicare to just $35 a month, starting in 2023.

“Tons of things”
But, the changes do little to help those without insurance, and there are no cost-capping measures for people on private health insurance. Yet, Eil Lilly's Ricks still defended the pricing, saying the company had made efforts to bring down the price in recent years and noted that other companies, such as Novo Nordisk and Sanofi, also sell insulin in the US. Ricks also blamed "federal rules" for keeping some people with health insurance from accessing financial assistance programs.

"Those are the cases that produce the outrage, and understandably," Ricks said. "We want to do our part and work with payers in the system to provide copay assistance. We’re open to feedback [on improving communications],” he said. “We’ve done tons of things, but it obviously hasn’t penetrated the clutter. We’re obviously not the only insulin company. But the tropes go on."

On Twitter, the tropes did go on. Hours after the initial fake tweet, US Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) chimed in, tweeting that "Eli Lilly should apologize for increasing the price of insulin by over 1,200% since 1996 to $275 while it costs less than $10 to manufacture. The inventors of insulin sold their patents in 1923 for $1 to save lives, not to make Eli Lilly's CEO obscenely rich." This prompted Elon Musk to come to Eli Lilly's defense, saying the "Full answer to insulin price question is complex."

The defense from Musk may have been too late to ease the minds of Eli Lilly executives, though. The Post reported that, by the next morning, the $330 billion company halted all of its Twitter ad campaigns and also paused its Twitter publishing plan for all corporate accounts around the world, potentially costing Twitter millions of dollars in much-needed advertising revenue.

People dying not worth our time.  Fake tweets though....

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/11/eli-lilly-ceo-says-insulin-tweet-flap-probably-signals-need-to-bring-down-cost/

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Cool.

As most people around here shared, no tears shed for Eli Lilly and the punch to its profiteering.  Just noting that having a platform that depends on revenue from source X also being a platform for damaging and false information about source X is probably not the best way to run a business.  But again, nobody is crying over Eli Lilly's particular ox getting gored here.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think shit is already starting to unravel. Just browsing this thread over the last half hour and clicking tweet links from Tapatalk, about half the time it would say the tweet was unavailable and I'd have to refresh the page 2-3 times before the tweet would load.

Comparing Elon to Charlie Strong is not the flex you think it is.

Yep. And you have to go down a few posts in that thread to get past all the knob-gobbling fanboys, but you get to the same adult posts that explain “actually, this take is proven bullshit.”

The desperation of the fanboys to characterize every instance of Elon shootist himself in the dick as “next level brilliance that we mere mortals just don’t understand” is fascinating to watch. No, guys, it’s just him shooting himself in the dick.
  • Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So true. God those early Charlie days were frustrating. “He’s running off the bad apples!” Uh no. He’s running off the offensive line. And we kind of need that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Why alienate and become adversarial with the fans to the degree they no longer attend your games or tune in at home and otherwise provide you with revenue?  That’s the sports analog to what he has done with advertisers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

i've read some lengthy threads on this, and the consensus seems to be (at least in the tech space) that the 50-75% that leave are the most talented with the softest landing spots at other top companies.  maybe he will try to "rebuild with the best performers", but it may not entirely be up to him.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Sigh, again, Elon is nuts, but these Tesla takes are just not true.  Massive recalls?  No.  Terrible workmanship?  No.  Years of govt subsidies?  ok.  Poor after market service?  Not in my experience.  Toyota has never come to my house to fix issues on my 4Runner.

i've read some lengthy threads on this, and the consensus seems to be (at least in the tech space) that the 50-75% that leave are the most talented with the softest landing spots at other top companies.  maybe he will try to "rebuild with the best performers", but it may not entirely be up to him.

300 of those left are H1B visa holders who can’t leave but probably would.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Sigh, again, Elon is nuts, but these Tesla takes are just not true.  Massive recalls?  No.  Terrible workmanship?  No.  Years of govt subsidies?  ok.  Poor after market service?  Not in my experience.  Toyota has never come to my house to fix issues on my 4Runner.

Tesla has had build quality issues: https://insideevs.com/news/595828/tesla-model-y-build-quality/

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Several new owners are reporting plenty of problems.

Several.  Of hundreds of thousands.  The same chicken littles were crowing about the Model 3.  They are fine.  

https://electrek.co/2022/08/05/tesla-model-y-on-track-worlds-best-selling-car/

Seriously. These aren’t amateur CFB players. They are people, who need a job to pay the bills. So, when you do a “run people off by making the workplace super unpleasant” maneuver, in the group that immediately leaves, they are either:
1) people with good options (meaning they are talented enough to easily get a comparable job elsewhere)…and this is a big group, likely the sizable majority; and
2) real losers and deadweight who are happy to get three months severance for doing nothing. These people exist, and there’s some number of them….but it isn’t as big a group as the fanboys would like to think. And, while they may not be great employees, many of them (not all, but many) still perform important functions. You may hate your IT guy, and think he’s lazy…but he’s still better than having NO IT guy.
None of this is to say that a targeted and planned-out downsizing/clean-out can’t be a very good business move, but the key is the “targeted and planned out” part. And there is zero evidence of that happening in Elon’s case.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Seriously. These aren’t amateur CFB players. They are people, who need a job to pay the bills. So, when you do a “run people off by making the workplace super unpleasant” maneuver, in the group that immediately leaves, they are either:
1) people with good options (meaning they are talented enough to easily get a comparable job elsewhere)…and this is a big group, likely the sizable majority; and
2) real losers and deadweight who are happy to get three months severance for doing nothing. These people exist, and there’s some number of them….but it isn’t as big a group as the fanboys would like to think. And, while they may not be great employees, many of them (not all, but many) still perform important functions. You may hate your IT guy, and think he’s lazy…but he’s still better than having NO IT guy.
None of this is to say that a targeted and planned-out downsizing/clean-out can’t be a very good business move, but the key is the “targeted and planned out” part. And there is zero evidence of that happening in Elon’s case.

I also think that this hyper aggressive "we're going to work crazy hours and never see your families" tactic works a little better when you have employees that believe (rightly or wrongly) that the work they are doing could change the world (Tesla, SpaceX).  Twitter?  Not so much.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Several.  Of hundreds of thousands.  The same chicken littles were crowing about the Model 3.  They are fine.  

Okay, but let’s not pretend Tesla models have been virtually problem free:

Like many Tesla recalls, the fix can be administered in an over-the-air update. NHTSA says letters informing owners are expected to go out January 14.

This is just the latest Tesla Model X recall, with other recalls covering issues with forward collision avoidance, seat belts, and pinchy windows, among other things. This recall also comes just a little bit over a week since Tesla recalled 40,000 Model Selectric sedans because of a power steering issue.

23 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Okay, but let’s not pretend Tesla models have been virtually problem free:

Like many Tesla recalls, the fix can be administered in an over-the-air update. NHTSA says letters informing owners are expected to go out January 14.

This is just the latest Tesla Model X recall, with other recalls covering issues with forward collision avoidance, seat belts, and pinchy windows, among other things. This recall also comes just a little bit over a week since Tesla recalled 40,000 Model Selectric sedans because of a power steering issue.

Agreed.  Are any car makers virtually problem free?  

Look, as I've said, Elon is a fucking nutbar and I hate that he has gone down the path he has.  I can also say that Teslas are amazing cars.  These are not contradictory statements.

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

I've also read some on this and from what I've read the general consensus in this Big Tech world with all these skillsets is that Twitter had at best the B-team of Silicon Valley and at worst was home to the most mediocre of big tech STEM/Developers/Tech people.

That doesn't bode well for competing against the 10k amazon folks and 13k meta folks who are already on the street due to RIF's with Google's cut incoming. 

Basically these Twitter folks are smart to quit and get in before the labor market is a mess with the job market being super tight for comparable compensation/jobs in big tech.

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Cults everywhere. I wish I knew the trick to it.

I see great potential in you. Potential that your employer, family, and friends never saw. I have selected you for a breakthrough role in a new organization. No longer will you be held back. If you knew you had a chance to turn 40 dollars into 824,000, would you take it? Or would you just walk back into the gray darkness of mediocrity?

OF COURSE YOU'LL TAKE THAT CHANCE!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

There is no question Tesla has build issues, the empirical evidence is overwhelming. Now that actual real car companies are making electric cars the Tesla moment in the sun is over. The company is obviously not going anywhere, but hope anyone who had Tesla stock got out last year.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

I've also read some on this and from what I've read the general consensus in this Big Tech world with all these skillsets is that Twitter had at best the B-team of Silicon Valley and at worst was home to the most mediocre of big tech STEM/Developers/Tech people.

And yet more than a few of them were being publicly recruited by top-tier companies, so yeah, no, you don’t seem to have a grasp on how this works.

Chrispy, you are telling us you’ve never worked at a tech company, without telling us you’ve never worked at a tech company.

If you are a good developer or good at whatever tech job you have, you are not worried about layoffs at other companies, because you have headhunters seeking you out and you are getting offers even before you hit the Silicon Valley version of the transfer portal.  When you are given a loyalty test by Elon to agree to work a lot more hours, you bail for greener pastures because you won’t have a problem getting a job that pays just as well without Elon’s bullshit hours.  A good developer is also not going to put up with stupid shit like emailing the CEO screenshots of your work (that really has to be fake because I can’t imagine Musk being that fucking stupid as to request screenshots of work from individual developers).

If you are mediocre, you are absolutely going to stay at Twitter and work those extra hours and promise to do whatever Elon wants because you are terrified of competing with a bunch of other people who were recently laid off at other companies.

Oh, and if you are paying attention to Elon killing the advertising revenue stream, even if you are mediocre, you may consider bailing anyways, because there will be more job cuts, more hours required, and probably pay cuts.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, G650 said:

There is no question Tesla has build issues, the empirical evidence is overwhelming. Now that actual real car companies are making electric cars the Tesla moment in the sun is over. The company is obviously not going anywhere, but hope anyone who had Tesla stock got out last year.

With his $44 billion that he raised, he could have bought Hyundai and still had $15 billion left over, and Kia would be even cheaper.  Or he could have even bought Honda.  

Technically I don’t know if he could have bought them, but that’s what they are worth.  So he could have put the equivalent of those companies into Tesla (or even acquired them and merged them) and expanded the product lines or done something with bringing in more customers rather than trying to stick to the niche that will be tapped out.

I know it’s a hybrid, but shit, if I wanted a small environmentally-conscious car, I’d get the 2023 Prius, as the redesign looks nice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

With his $44 billion that he raised, he could have bought Hyundai and still had $15 billion left over, and Kia would be even cheaper.  Or he could have even bought Honda.  

Technically I don’t know if he could have bought them, but that’s what they are worth.  So he could have put the equivalent of those companies into Tesla (or even acquired them and merged them) and expanded the product lines or done something with bringing in more customers rather than trying to stick to the niche that will be tapped out.

I know it’s a hybrid, but shit, if I wanted a small environmentally-conscious car, I’d get the 2023 Prius, as the redesign looks nice.

I mean, yeah. But I am not sure that actually solves anything unless they let Kia start building the cars. They just aren't made all that well. I just got a BMW IX M60, and having been in quite a few Teslas, there's just no comparison. The BMW is done better in every facet. Body panels, finish, electric motors, etc.... The only thing Tesla had in its favor was an over the top stock valuation, once serious people got into the market that's gone. Add in the dealership laws and Teslas market share is rapidly going away. I just saw GM actually forecasts half of the revenue will be from EVs in 2025, two years from now. And they are way lagging BMW, Volvo and Ford.

Tesla owners are like the new crossfitter/vegan/atheist. You like the car, awesome. Just say you like it or 'fuck you that's why' and move on. The minute you go into easily disproved facts, or just explaining in general you've lost the argument man.

• Hook 'Em 5

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And yet more than a few of them were being publicly recruited by top-tier companies, so yeah, no, you don’t seem to have a grasp on how this works.

Chrispy, you are telling us you’ve never worked at a tech company, without telling us you’ve never worked at a tech company.

If you are a good developer or good at whatever tech job you have, you are not worried about layoffs at other companies, because you have headhunters seeking you out and you are getting offers even before you hit the Silicon Valley version of the transfer portal.  When you are given a loyalty test by Elon to agree to work a lot more hours, you bail for greener pastures because you won’t have a problem getting a job that pays just as well without Elon’s bullshit hours.  A good developer is also not going to put up with stupid shit like emailing the CEO screenshots of your work (that really has to be fake because I can’t imagine Musk being that fucking stupid as to request screenshots of work from individual developers).

If you are mediocre, you are absolutely going to stay at Twitter and work those extra hours and promise to do whatever Elon wants because you are terrified of competing with a bunch of other people who were recently laid off at other companies.

Oh, and if you are paying attention to Elon killing the advertising revenue stream, even if you are mediocre, you may consider bailing anyways, because there will be more job cuts, more hours required, and probably pay cuts.

Yes, this.  The Elon fan boys seem to think he's just snapped his finger and all the shit bags are gone.  It's the good/connected ones that are leaving.  They have options.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

I mean, yeah. But I am not sure that actually solves anything unless they let Kia start building the cars. They just aren't made all that well. I just got a BMW IX M60, and having been in quite a few Teslas, there's just no comparison. The BMW is done better in every facet. Body panels, finish, electric motors, etc.... The only thing Tesla had in its favor was an over the top stock valuation, once serious people got into the market that's gone. Add in the dealership laws and Teslas market share is rapidly going away. I just saw GM actually forecasts half of the revenue will be from EVs in 2025, two years from now. And they are way lagging BMW, Volvo and Ford.

Tesla owners are like the new crossfitter/vegan/atheist. You like the car, awesome. Just say you like it or 'fuck you that's why' and move on. The minute you go into easily disproved facts, or just explaining in general you've lost the argument man.

Wait until rich liberals stop virtue signaling by driving a Tesla.  That will get Elon's attention.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

I just saw GM actually forecasts half of the revenue will be from EVs in 2025, two years from now. And they are way lagging BMW, Volvo and Ford.

The electric Silverados and F-150s feel like the ones to watch over the next year.

I appreciate what Tesla did, but they are kind of feeling like Palm Inc. circa 2007, with people wondering what’s going to succeed the Treo 680.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think you missed my point which was, on the whole, Twitter doesn't have "rockstar" or "ninja" or whatever cool prefix is used before "coder/techskill" that denotes an A+ player. They are a bunch of B & C team players to begin with. 

To put it as an analogy in my world. Twitter is like the tech world's KPMG of the Big 4. Sure there are some outlier all-stars and probably even a few departments that are great or practices that shine, but on the whole, it ain't housing the best in breed (and this is because of multiple reasons; compensation plan, RSU/stock options have sucked, mission-driven people roll their eyes, culture stuff, etc.).

All that said, B&C team players are better than an empty bench where there is work to be done, so in that we agree.

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The electric Silverados and F-150s feel like the ones to watch over the next year.

I appreciate what Tesla did, but they are kind of feeling like Palm Inc. circa 2007, with people wondering what’s going to succeed the Treo 680.

Tbh I kinda wanted a Lightning but they are super far out on orders. I ended up ordering the IX M and it took about 3 months to get. Mine came on the first shipment to the country.

BMW actually was way out in front on the EV thing, they just sat on the tech until the market was more mature. I'm more impressed by Ford's rate of development. They are going to blow everyone out soon. Their battery tech is going be amazing.

5 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

I think you missed my point which was, on the whole, Twitter doesn't have "rockstar" or "ninja" or whatever cool prefix is used before "coder/techskill" that denotes an A+ player. They are a bunch of B & C team players to begin with. 

To put it as an analogy in my world. Twitter is like the tech world's KPMG of the Big 4. Sure there are some outlier all-stars and probably even a few departments that are great or practices that shine, but on the whole, it ain't housing the best in breed (and this is because of multiple reasons; compensation plan, RSU/stock options have sucked, mission-driven people roll their eyes, culture stuff, etc.).

All that said, B&C team players are better than an empty bench where there is work to be done, so in that we agree.

You literally have no fucking idea what you are talking about

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

It is pretty amazing reading a middle managers assessment of Twitter programmers based on his reading of Elmo tweets.

It’s like you people don’t read Fishbowl or Blind or even Reddit or Quora. In fact this very point I think was made even here on a thread some years ago. It’s not even remotely controversial to state that, all things being equal, Twitter even before Elmo wasn’t a tier-1 destination compared to FAANG.

Edited by MeerkatBong

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m waiting for 2025 F-150 Lightning.  Assuming the reliable 1000 mile per charge batteries end up coming to fruition.

• Like 1