Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yeah... The final big 12 championship game really needs to be TX v Oklahoma. I think the sec chants are lame, but having 80,000 people or however many people fit in Jerry world, chanting sec while bowlsby hands over the trophy to Riley or Sark would be hilarious. 

I agree. SEC chants are super lame. However, if one is going on while the championship trophy is presented to Texas or OU, I'm all for it. It would be a great fuck you to the Big12.

• Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

ok hes bob bowlsby's mouthpiece

Dodd is a pile of shit in general but in this case he has even less credibility than usual. He has a conflict of interest here because the SEC gave the finger to CBS and signed their next tv contract with the mouse. That's a result of, back in 2011, CBS saying aggy and mizzoo weren't worth any additional dollars for their existing tv contract back. The value of adding aggy to the sec was 0.0 per CBS. Dodd is just the spurned bitch acting out.

Edited by Chopper

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Prolonging the fight doesn’t keep Texas or OU in the Big 12 or make the Big 12 more money. It just means all parties involved will have a nasty lawsuit hanging over them. They’re still leaving either way. This is all just posturing to arrive at a dollar amount for the settlement. 

When the hell did I say Texas and OU are not leaving? Implied or otherwise? Even with lawsuits IR8 still pocket money they otherwise would not get unless they land in a power 5. Free money is worth every ir8 efforts.

Edited by DanTheHorn

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Prolonging the fight doesn’t keep Texas or OU in the Big 12 or increase the Big 12’s revenue. It just means all parties involved will have a nasty lawsuit hanging over them. They’re still leaving either way. This is all just posturing to arrive at a dollar amount for the settlement. 

Oh so his argument is that "prolonging the fight" would keep Texas and OU so the revenue would stay at $37 million.

Yeah, that's not happening. 

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

And are you willing to fuck up your future over 20 million?

They are all mad because all the schools of the ir8te hover at break even or are at a loss.  Imagine having to find another 20-30 million on the fly.  Realizing you were living above your means and took on major debt, Baylor/Tech, makes people do crazy things.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 1

Everyone else - "Texas is so arrogant.  Those sips are nowhere near as important as they think they are."

Same everyone else - "Texas cannot leave or our local economies will need FEMA-levels of assistance."

By the way, if I was a Sooner, I might be a bit annoyed that no one seems to give a shit about them leaving.  All these articles read like Texas is leaving alone.

Question I just thought of - couldn't Texas drop football if it decided to?  Isn't that its right?  Or would they say we have a duty to continue to play football, and do so against them, even if we don't want to?  I don't see how this argument is different.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

And are you willing to fuck up your future over 20 million?

It's not going to be 20 million either. 

The only play for the Big 12 is to try and keep Texas and Oklahoma through the entirety of the contract. That isn't happening. 

Once Texas and Oklahoma are gone the Big 12 TV contracts are taking a massive hit and then they have to wiggle a few million out of the buyouts. Sticking around in the Big 12 is not going to be any more lucrative for the irate 8 than leaving for the AAC who will be reworking TV contracts with new additions. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

When the hell did I say Texas and OU are not leaving? Implied or otherwise? Even with lawsuits IR8 still pocket money they otherwise would not get unless they land in a power 5. Free money is worth every ir8 efforts.

You think they’ll get the Full payout and great landing spots?   Good to start high I guess but I don’t think espn is someone I’d mess with

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The number I've seen is $37 million to $9 million without Oklahoma and Texas. 

The buyout of $160 million (or $20 million for each irate 8 member) is also a big assumption. I would say their best hope is to get half that amount. There's a lot of things that have to go in favor of the irate 8 to pocket $50 million. 

This seems to be the most important point - do the TV networks have the right to renegotiate their deals if the Big 12 loses members?  I've seen it reported both ways.  If the TV netowrks do not have the right to renegotiate - then it makes sense for the IR8 to stick together and collect full payouts until 2025.

If Fox/ESPN can significantly reduce payouts post OU/Texas departure - then I would expect whatever schools are left in the Big12 to try and get out as soon as possible.  And in that case a move to the AAC might not be so bad - the AAC already has a decent TV deal for the G5 and would be in pretty good bargaining position if they added the Big12 rejects.

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Prolonging the fight doesn’t keep Texas or OU in the Big 12 or increase the Big 12’s revenue. It just means all parties involved will have a nasty lawsuit hanging over them. They’re still leaving either way. This is all just posturing to arrive at a dollar amount for the settlement. 

Yup.  Texas and OU risk doing more damage to their prospects the longer they stay as lame ducks in the B12.  They know this.  They're not going to stick around.  

This is all just the posturing leading up to the negotiations and the settlements.  It's playing out exactly the same way as every other school that's left a conference in the past decade.

Nebraska said they're leaving, lots of B12 posturing, lots of threats of lawsuits, lots of talk of huge exit penalties, ultimately Nebraska settles for a fraction of the contractual exit penalty.

Texas A&M said they're leaving, lots of B12 posturing, lots of claims of TI from the B12 about the SEC, Baylor lawyers up and threatens lawsuits, articles are written about the terrible economic impact to the state of Texas if the ags leave, ultimately A&M settles for a fraction of the contractual exit penalty.

And then there was Maryland exiting the ACC.  That one got REALLY nasty.  The ACC actually did sue Maryland.  And Maryland countersued the ACC.  But the end result?  Maryland settles for a bit over half of the contractual exit penalty.  

This is the dance and it's 100% expected.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alphahorn said:

OU and Texas need to beat Iowa St this year, it would be pretty embarrassing to limp into the SEC after Iowa St wins the conference

Lets get one thing straight. I don't give a shit what OU does now or in the SEC. There will be no rooting for ou. Ever. 

No shot I'm rooting for them against any SEC opponent, including a&m. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

How are they getting this free money exactly? 

43 minutes ago, htownjd said:

Ray Perryman is an economist in Waco. Find more details of his athletics conference analysis at www.perrymangroup.com. He wrote this column for The Dallas Morning News.

Maybe delete your cookies and you can read the article. No paywall showing for me

edit: he has his analysis posted on his website below which looks freely accessible

https://www.perrymangroup.com/publications/report/2021/07/28/potential-economic-consequences-of-texas-and-ou-leaving-the-big-12-conference/

So many questions about this Perryman Group study.  Here's two:

First, I'm skeptical of how accurate the underlying research and data are given that the work started sometime within the past week.  In other words, we have to assume that this firm only started this "analysis" after news broke about Texas and Oklahoma leaving the SEC.  There's no reason it would've started earlier.  And, this isn't like preparing a family budget after one spouse loses a job.  This involves much more complicated analysis covering several economic markets.  Even with pulling all-nighters (doubtful), the speed at which this report was produced is one of many red flags.

Second, who requested and/or funded this report?  After a quick glance, there's no mention.  I guess it's possible this firm prepared the work on its own with no funding as a favor to an alma mater.  But I doubt they decided to do this just for shits and giggles or because their work is slow.  But omitting this information indicates they know it would reveal the bias driving the report.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You think they’ll get the Full payout and great landing spots?   Good to start high I guess but I don’t think espn is someone I’d mess with

No I think they are not likely of landing in a good place and that is is why if you make Texas and OU leave in 2023 or 2024 instead of 2022 via roadblocks it is worth the effort since every year is worth 25M to your institution because payouts stay st 38M. Prolonging to me is not about saving or buyout it is about keeping the TV money flowing as long as possible. Now if your Kansas or WVU  and get a Power 4 invite they will be out of the BIG 12 and will want to be out ASAP like Texas and OU. 

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This seems to be the most important point - do the TV networks have the right to renegotiate their deals if the Big 12 loses members?  I've seen it reported both ways.  If the TV netowrks do not have the right to renegotiate - then it makes sense for the IR8 to stick together and collect full payouts until 2025.

If Fox/ESPN can significantly reduce payouts post OU/Texas departure - then I would expect whatever schools are left in the Big12 to try and get out as soon as possible.  And in that case a move to the AAC might not be so bad - the AAC already has a decent TV deal for the G5 and would be in pretty good bargaining position if they added the Big12 rejects.

The AAC merger is nuts, though, because of the 19 schools involved. Would make more sense to just reorganize the two conferences

America East Conference:

Cincinnati
East Carolina
Memphis
Navy
Temple
Tulane
UCF
USF
West Virginia

America West Conference:

Baylor
Houston
Iowa St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Oklahoma St.
SMU
TCU
Texas Tech
Tulsa

With some kind of scheduling agreement or something. Essentially West Virginia moves to the American and the other remaining 7 from the Big 12 bring in Houston, SMU, and Tulsa. And if they want to keep them even because of scheduling then as I've noted above, just banish Baylor.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yup.  Texas and OU risk doing more damage to their prospects the longer they stay as lame ducks in the B12.  They know this.  They're not going to stick around.  

This is all just the posturing leading up to the negotiations and the settlements.  It's playing out exactly the same way as every other school that's left a conference in the past decade.

Nebraska said they're leaving, lots of B12 posturing, lots of threats of lawsuits, lots of talk of huge exit penalties, ultimately Nebraska settles for a fraction of the contractual exit penalty.

Texas A&M said they're leaving, lots of B12 posturing, lots of claims of TI from the B12 about the SEC, Baylor lawyers up and threatens lawsuits, articles are written about the terrible economic impact to the state of Texas if the ags leave, ultimately A&M settles for a fraction of the contractual exit penalty.

And then there was Maryland exiting the ACC.  That one got REALLY nasty.  The ACC actually did sue Maryland.  And Maryland countersued the ACC.  But the end result?  Maryland settles for a bit over half of the contractual exit penalty.  

This is the dance and it's 100% expected.

Correct, and in this case the stakes are higher as the deadbeat 8 has no Power 5 conference to stay in and Bowlsby's career is about over.  This was expected, but the tortious interference stuff is a bit much.  Also, goal 1B is to stop Kansas and the 1 or 2 other desirable schools from leaving.  It's ugly.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I can’t imagine that ESPN agreed without some language allowing altering the payout if teams leave, but it all depends on the language in the contract.

I saw that ESPN has about $500 million left in its Big 12 contract, so again, you’d think it might not be smart for the Big 12 to piss them off, but when has the Big 12 ever made the smart choice? 

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

First, I'm skeptical of how accurate the underlying research and data are given that the work started sometime within the past week.  In other words, we have to assume that this firm only started this "analysis" after news broke about Texas and Oklahoma leaving the SEC.  There's no reason it would've started earlier.  And, this isn't like preparing a family budget after one spouse loses a job.  This involves much more complicated analysis covering several economic markets.  Even with pulling all-nighters (doubtful), the speed at which this report was produced is one of many red flags.

Second, who requested and/or funded this report?  After a quick glance, there's no mention.  I guess it's possible this firm prepared the work on its own with no funding as a favor to an alma mater.  But I doubt they decided to do this just for shits and giggles or because their work is slow.  But omitting this information indicates they know it would reveal the bias driving the report.

So you want to take the first half of the expert depo and I’ll do the second or vice versa? This would be a fun one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

my reaction is - well yeah those communities might suffer - but what about the other side of the coin? the economic activity lost from the UT and aggy is coming back (and UT vs all those other SEC schools which will now be visiting austin) may very well be a net benefit to the state economy. shit, people are going to tune into texas tamu on thanksgiving/watch it in bars if not thanksgiving all over the state. wouldn't that be in a balanced report?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

No I think they are not likely of landing in a good place and that is is why if you make Texas and OU leave in 2023 or 2024 instead of 2022 via roadblocks it is worth the effort since every year is worth 25M to your institution because payouts stay st 38M. Prolonging to me is not about saving or buyout it is about keeping the TV money flowing as long as possible. Now if your Kansas or WVU  and get a Power 4 invite they will be out of the BIG 12 and will want to be out ASAP like Texas and OU. 

The Big 12 doesn’t have the power to control when Texas and OU leave, so you’re still way off here. They can try to fight it all they want, but Texas and OU can still leave after next year. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 hour ago, demos said:

Waco based hack has a study that - surprise - shows:

A UT move to SEC could cost the Waco, Lubbock and Fort Worth economies $500M

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2021/07/28/a-ut-move-to-sec-could-cost-the-waco-lubbock-and-ft-worth-economies-500m/

In my experience Perryman is well known for coming up with "economic forecasts" with either huge windfalls or scare numbers. Need some numbers showing a big tax break will generate a million jobs and amazing economic boost? Call Perryman. Whatever numbers the client may wish is what Perryman magically comes up with. In my experience.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

This makes no sense to me. The schools are the conference. They would know what conversations are happening. Is Bowlsby acting alone?

Bowlsby's job description is to carry out the grant of rights. In this instance though the GOR is possibly contrary to the individual best interests of what some, if not all, of the Ir8te signed.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

If by successfully delaying Texas and OU leaving in 2022 to 2023 for a place like KST it is an extra 25m at a minimum they are not getting in any other way.

They can’t delay Texas and OU moving. They can only sue for the damages that’s it. The Big12 can not force OU or Texas to remain in the conference at all.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The Big 12 doesn’t have the power to control when Texas and OU leave, so you’re still way off here. They can try to fight it all they want, but Texas and OU can still leave after next year. 

I understand this point. I am just saying that there is a ton of money involved that makes the tactic of possible delay worth the effort. The strategy for all these guys is to find a soft landing if at all possible.

11 hours ago, camel at sea said:

Let's say that the best case for the Big 12 minus OU and Texas is that they get a new contract for about $20M each.  If that's true, then the revenue gap for every one of "the other 8" for the '22-'25 seasons is around $20M per season compared to status quo.  $80M per school over four years, $640M conference total.  

Maybe you could get the Big 12 to negotiate that down if you give them a new deal at $20-25M per and sign off on the league raiding the AAC (rather than the other way around.)  But given those dollar amounts, it makes perfect sense why everyone on the Big 12 side is going to fight as hard as they can on this. 

I'm interested in the math of all this too.

Since letter sent asking admittance to SEC July 1st, 2025 -- and 2021 season all 10 teams will participate in B12 -- isn't it only 3yrs worth of B12 money that is really in question for the "Irate Eight" assuming that they somehow hold the B12 together

That's 3 football seasons -- 2022, 2023, and 2024.

And approximately $80mil buyouts each for Texas and blOU.

Found this info that includes history of some previous departures:

How much will it cost Texas to leave the Big 12?

According to Big 12 bylaws, the buyout amount is equal to the last two years of distributions from the conference during the final two years of its membership, a number that is likely close to $80 million each.

But that’s where the lawyers come in — in previous instances of conference realignment, the conference typically settled on exit fees significantly lower than dictated by the conference bylaws. In the case of Maryland leaving the ACC for the Big Ten, the legal process drew out for close to two years, included lawsuits from both sides and resulted in the Terrapins forfeiting $31.4 million in distributions instead of paying the $52.2 million the school owed. When Missouri and Texas A&M left the Big 12, the estimated total of around $30 million resulted in settlements for $12.4 million.

In other words, those schools settled for between 40 and 60 percent of what they owed, putting a potential exit fee for Texas at somewhere between $32 million and $48 million, but that’s just a rough guess based on previous settlements.

54 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Is Baylor going to stop playing home games?  A sold out home game every other year isn't generating 100's of millions of dollars.

Plus if they join the AAC, they'd have more visiting fans playing for hotel rooms for home games.  Right now, you have 2 schools (UT, TCU) who only come in for the game and leave immediately.  Lubbock/Stillwater are only 5.5 hours and Norman is 4.5 hours, so there's no guarantee those fans are even staying in Waco (yuck). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Texas and OU are leaving and playing in SEC 2022. Their games will be broadcast by ESPN. 

The rest is just determining how much TX/OU/ESPN have to pay. And this becomes dynamic because ESPN currently owns 50% of Big 12 GOR. So will GOR contract allow a reduction in payment if members leave? (I believe it does). So IR8 reduced from 37.7 to 9 in 2022. (Total guess). So the IR8 thinks that they can force TX/OU to stay? They can’t. Force them to give them money from games broadcast in 2022-2025 (lawyers come in here). And pay a penalty (this is possible, but will be reduced because lawyers). All the while they expect to renegotiate with ESPN for better rights by adding new Big 12 members?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

If by successfully delaying Texas and OU leaving in 2022 to 2023 for a place like KST it is an extra 25m at a minimum they are not getting in any other way.

It's all part of the negotiations. The Big 12 currently owns the GOR for Texas and Oklahoma through the summer of 2025. If the two schools leave earlier that doesn't change anything.

The negotiation is going to be what they can get if they let them leave earlier. They can more quickly negotiate a new (possibly favorable hint hint) contract based on their new conferences while still getting the buyout money from Texas and Oklahoma. In exchange the buyout money would be lower, but the remaining 8 of course have no incentive to receive less in the long run than they would by holding the GOR until 2025.

The funny business comes when ESPN says we'll give the new American Athletic Big 12-2-2+2-2 Conference a sweeter deal if you let Texas and OU pay less and leave for 2022. We'll make you a little bit more than whole. UT has run the analysis and said well we can make that work considering we're still owed over $150MM for the next decade so ESPN can give us that to help buy out the Big 12 because we'll start making bonkers money in the SEC to more than cover it. And then if that doesn't work the real fireworks start when UT and OU say "well I'd hate for y'all to get absolutely nothing considering sovereign immunity means that could happen in a really unfortunate scenario."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Perryman's numbers don't include the economic boost to Texas from Texas and Ousux joining the SEC. By the same methodology Perryman used, the economic benefit to Texas is exactly One Billion Dollars. That is according to Chopper Economic Forecasting Group.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

This is fantasy and not happening. 

Just now, Chopper said:

Perryman's numbers don't include the economic boost to Texas from Texas and Ousux joining the SEC. By the same methodology Perryman used, the economic benefit to Texas is exactly One Billion Dollars. That is according to Chopper Economic Forecasting Group.

You need better branding. Chopper Office of Conference Knowledge.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Perryman is a Baylor grad and absolute loon who gets called on by the locals to make shit up anytime there's something going on that may impact the Baylor/Waco economy. Ignore the fool. 

9 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I understand this point. I am just saying that there is a ton of money involved that makes the tactic of possible delay worth the effort. The strategy for all these guys is to find a soft landing if at all possible.

By inhibiting their ability to find landing spots?  Right now, a few of the freeloaders may have landing spots, but Bowlsby doesn't give a shit about that.  This is his league to save.  There's a conflict of interest obviously.  

18 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My experience over the years of seeing their work for municipal governments and business entities that want to locate something like a destination shopping venue which  will get some sort of tax incentive, they usually will compose a study that fits the desired outcome.   Something like if you don't spend two dollars today,  YOU MIGHT miss the additional five YOU MIGHT get next year.   That's all these studies are and it  makes great headline material for a media driven on headlines.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

By inhibiting their ability to find landing spots?  Right now, a few of the freeloaders may have landing spots, but Bowlsby doesn't give a shit about that.  This is his league to save.  There's a conflict of interest obviously.  

Freeloaders? Wtf? Texas and OU cant play themselves every week. Texas and OU certainly joined the Big 12 willingly. Nobody made them sign contracts or the GOR. In fact, Texas is the school that insisted this be done after Aggy torched their asses to join the Klan.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 9