Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

40 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

Whitmire is the only one who seems to have a brain or any critical thinking capabilities.  +1 University of Houston.  I think....  

Bowlsby is going to use Whitmire as an example when they finally get around to inviting UH.

”A man so sharp and well spoken speaksnvolumes about the quality of his education. We must absolutely pursue The University of Houston for membership in the big12.”

15 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

So we're saying politicians aren't necessarily intelligent nor critical thinkers?

I believe there were many people today who have now “removed all doubt”, so they say. 

Absolutely fucking comical to watch all the flailing and back peddling from this act of the circus. You’s think some of these jerk offs got their degree from FSU’s circus school. 

I swear if we were told 2 weeks ago all of this shit was going to go down, we would have negged the fuck out of the messenger.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

TCU was the only one I felt bad about. Wish we had taken them instead of Baylor in 1996.

Ah well they are all screwed now.

I don't feel bad for TCU.   I hope they get stuck back in the MWC or in the AAC when this is all said and done.  The irony is rich and delicious.  

Edited by SwAss
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, SwAss said:

I don't feel bad for TCU.   I hope they get stuck back in the MWC or in the AAC when this is all said and done.  The irony is rich and delicious.  

I felt bad for them in 1996 because they actually had a fanbase who gave a damn, which is more than I could say for SMU, UH, and Rice.

I thought they deserved better, but hey they ended up winning the Rose Bowl so it worked out alright for them.

Edited by Valmy77

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

TCU was the only one I felt bad about. Wish we had taken them instead of Baylor in 1996.

Ah well they are all screwed now.

Literally any school in the SWC would have been better than Baylor.

The Waco market is a non factor, Houston or DFW would have been better.  Baylor’s academics were far behind SMU and Rice.  And competitively they fucking sucked too.

Seriously, the lege forcing Baylor on the Big 12 was asinine.  Why force a small market private school only 90 miles away from UT/aggy versus getting another public like UH, or a private school in a major metro?  Nepotism at its finest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Assman said:

Just so I have this straight:

-aggy leaves, no one cares.

-We leave, and there’s a god damn conga line of Senators begging us to stay.

If that doesn’t paint a clear enough picture of how both schools are viewed, I don’t know what will.  Go get your fucking shine box aggy.

Begging?  More like threatening and scolding.  Damn losers

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Literally any school in the SWC would have been better than Baylor.

The Waco market is a non factor, Houston or DFW would have been better.  Baylor’s academics were far behind SMU and Rice.  And competitively they fucking sucked too.

Seriously, the lege forcing Baylor on the Big 12 was asinine.  Why force a small market private school only 90 miles away from UT/aggy versus getting another public like UH, or a private school in a major metro?  Nepotism at its finest.

At the time (1994), Baylor's program was heads above the other 4 in competitiveness and fan support.  They just quickly sunk into the gutter in more ways than one.  And they are much bigger than SMU, TCU and Rice.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, sdm said:

After agreeing to marry the Big East, didn't TCU leave them at the altar before the ceremony could be completed? TCU has no room to talk!

Yeah, as an Old Big East guy, I was waiting for someone to mention that. 

I also didn't remember the Del Conte fellow being the TCU Athletic Director when that happened.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-college-big12/tcu-spurns-big-east-and-joins-big-12-conference-idUSTRE79A03E20111011

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - Texas Christian University, which had already pledged to join the Big East conference, will instead join the Big 12 athletic conference, officials announced Monday, latest in a series of college sports realignments.

“I am fired up,” said an emotional Chris Del Conte, TCU athletic director, addressing student athletes in a boisterous news conference on the TCU campus in Fort Worth, Texas, on Monday night. “Today is living proof that dreams do come true because of your efforts.”

Trustees voted unanimously on Monday afternoon to accept the invitation, which comes just weeks after Texas A&M announced plans to leave the Big 12 and join the SEC.

The schools will make the switch before the start of the 2012-13 season.

“Joining the Big 12 brings us back to share a rich tradition with a lot of schools we already have natural rivalries with,” said TCU chancellor Victor Boschini. “It connects us also with schools that are committed to the same academic success that we are.”

The move comes after the Horned Frogs had already committed to joining the Big East conference for next year. By bolting from the Big East before officially joining, TCU owes a $5 million exit fee, Del Conte said, though they will not have to wait the required 27 months before leaving. TCU was scheduled to join the Big East on July 1.

A former member of the Southwest conference in the days before it disbanded in 1996, TCU had been a member of the Mountain West conference for the past six years. When the Big 12 was formed in 1996 with several former SWC members, TCU was not among them.

“I’d like to welcome you home,” Big 12 interim Commissioner Chuck Neinas told TCU leaders on Monday.

Though the basketball and baseball programs were celebrated as instrumental to the Big 12 invitation, Del Conte gave most of the credit to the success of the football team. It was the only one in the nation to be ranked in the top 10 by the Associated Press and USA Today for three years in a row, officials said.

The school is also completing a $164 million renovation of the Amon G. Carter Stadium in time for next season, with a new seating capacity of 50,000.

“The Mountain West has been a great home to TCU, enabling our athletics program to grow and be in position to receive and accept an invitation to join the Big 12,” Del Conte said. “We are also appreciative of the Big East for providing an opportunity for TCU.”

As is the case with several conferences, the Big 12 has been dealing with a shake-up in recent weeks. The Big 12 is still waiting for a commitment from the University of Missouri as to whether it will stay in the conference.

Colleges are scrambling in pursuit of lucrative television broadcast contracts. At stake are billions of dollars of royalties from networks such as ESPN and FOX Sports for broadcasting popular college football games.

Sports economists say being part of a powerful conference is vital to a university, which is why colleges across the nation are nervously watching the musical chairs.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

SIAP

This is the classic make up a position to argue against. Unless I missed something, I’m pretty sure it’s not the official position of Texas that we are moving to the SEC because of how “great” we are. Then throwing out the record of us vs TCU proves what exactly? These politicians suck at debate. 

6 minutes ago, bullet said:

At the time (1994), Baylor's program was heads above the other 4 in competitiveness and fan support.  They just quickly sunk into the gutter in more ways than one.  And they are much bigger than SMU, TCU and Rice.

I remember 1994. TCU packed Amon Carter when Texas went there, it was actually a really good atmosphere...you know for a SWC game.

Bigger crowd than we saw at Baylor but granted we played them at 10am on Thanksgiving for some reason.

7 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Reportedly UNC/Duke/UVA don’t want the SEC due to academics.  

I'm way behind, and probably won't try to catch up, but an SEC with Vandy, UT, UF, UNC, Duke, UVA, UGA and A&M kinda starts to take the sting out of the anti-academic argument.  At some point the "academic" schools need to understand they are going to be in sports conferences with some undesirables, regardless of where they end up.  (Not that it should matter.)

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I felt bad for them in 1996 because they actually had a fanbase who gave a damn, which is more than I could say for SMU, UH, and Rice.

I thought they deserved better, but hey they ended up winning the Rose Bowl so it worked out alright for them.

Considering how they left the Big East at the alter after Gary Patterson bitched about us going Independent beforehand and the classless behavior of their fanbase towards us, I don't feel bad for them one bit.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, SwAss said:

Considering how they left the Big East at the alter after Gary Patterson bitched about us going Independent beforehand and the classless behavior of their fanbase towards us, I don't feel bad for them one bit.  

I gotcha. I was talking about 1996. It isn't like the SEC is going to take half our league like the Big 8 did.

9 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

This is the classic make up a position to argue against. Unless I missed something, I’m pretty sure it’s not the official position of Texas that we are moving to the SEC because of how “great” we are. Then throwing out the record of us vs TCU proves what exactly? These politicians suck at debate. 

Those who lack sufficient debating skill always resort to logical fallacies.  In this case an appeal to insults, which clearly indicates they have lost the debate without even realizing it.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

That one loss to TCU in 1992 and the one to Rice in 1994 sure sucked though. One cost Texas a bowl bid and the other cost us winning the conference outright. Thanks Mackovic.

He’s the second best football coach our school has employed in the last 30 years.  Let that sink in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm way behind, and probably won't try to catch up, but an SEC with Vandy, UT, UF, UNC, Duke, UVA, UGA and A&M kinda starts to take the sting out of the anti-academic argument.  At some point the "academic" schools need to understand they are going to be in sports conferences with some undesirables, regardless of where they end up.  (Not that it should matter.)

I agree, and you also left out Mizzou.  It would be nice if they could be that forward thinking but the Deep South redneck ideology from Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama is hard to see past (we were in the same mind set for years too).

13 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Unless you are in the Ivy League or Big 10 academics has nothing to do with your athletic conference.

You are right in that there is a steep dropoff after the Big 10, but the Pac-12 is still somewhat concerned with it (Arizona State is really the only clown college in the whole league).  After that though, it's a complete afterthought.  It goes from being something that sounds kinda nice (Big XII/ACC) to something that's taken about as seriously as avoiding felonies (SEC).  

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You are right in that there is a steep dropoff after the Big 10, but the Pac-12 is still somewhat concerned with it (Arizona State is really the only clown college in the whole league).  After that though, it's a complete afterthought.  It goes from being something that sounds kinda nice (Big XII/ACC) to something that's taken about as seriously as avoiding felonies (SEC).  

Washington State, Oregon State, and Utah aren't exactly academic powerhouses either.  

Edited by SwAss
  • Fuck You 2

47 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why the fuck would you put aggy in that list? Jesus. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SwAss said:

Washington State, Oregon State, and Utah aren't academic powerhouses either.  

Utah is at least an AAU member institution.  WSU and OSU are a fair point but both outpunch their weight on the conference research consortium given the preferences to the core 8.  But yeah, they are barely ahead of our own lagging institutions.  

I can't believe people are in here engaging smitty and pos repping him. What the fuck happened to Surly?   He's been crowd sourced 7, 8, 9 times?  "Fuck texas". That's a quote from smitty or window coug or swass  or whatever he's calling himself now. Fuck byu today and forever. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Utah is at least an AAU member institution.  WSU and OSU are a fair point but both outpunch their weight on the conference research consortium given the preferences to the core 8.  But yeah, they are barely ahead of our own lagging institutions.  

Geezus fuck,  they all have better academics than byu. Utah is a research 1. Byu won't let you grow a beard. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pops said:

I can't believe people are in here engaging smitty and pos repping him. What the fuck happened to Surly?   He's been crowd sourced 7, 8, 9 times?  "Fuck texas". That's a quote from smitty or window coug or swass  or whatever he's calling himself now. Fuck byu today and forever. 

Most of us make use of the ignore feature.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, pops said:

Geezus fuck,  they all have better academics than byu. Utah is a research 1. Byu won't let you grow a beard. 

No, but they will let you marry one.  

1 minute ago, pops said:

No they don't and its not even close.  Utah has the admission standards of a commuter school and always serves as backup to those who don't have the 3.9 GPA plus high ACT scores needed to get into BYU.  

• Fuck You 6

Just now, SwAss said:

No they don't and its not even close.  Utah has the admission standards of a commuter school and always serves as backup to those who don't have the 3.9 GPA plus high ACT scores needed to get into BYU.  

hqdefault.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, SwAss said:

omni1.png

If you are going to do it... do it right...

I feel we have come full circle..

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Required courses for a degree at byu. Get the fuck out of here with your academics. You have a 10m member core all wanting to send their kids their. Of course they can be selective. Let me know the next time you get cancer and want to be treated in provo. 

Screenshot_20210802-204151_Chrome.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, pops said:

Required courses for a degree at byu. Get the fuck out of here with your academics. You have a 10m member core all wanting to send their kids their. Of course they can be selective. Let me know the next time you get cancer and want to be treated in provo. 

Screenshot_20210802-204151_Chrome.jpg

Or want to get a Tier 1 law degree or an elite MBA or even a JDMBA for starters....

Edited by SwAss
  • Fuck You 5

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

SIAP

What a buncha fucking asshats. Polticial grandstanding & nothing more. Look at me, look at me!!! 

"You should have made the Big 12 as good as the SEC"? With fucking Rapelor, Tortilla Tech, and TCU as the next biggest Texas powers in the conference?

Fucking POS moron.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1