Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

38 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This is a new one:

Oh boy.. this is something. Let's say it were true. TX/OU were so butthurt over the one great season by both of these schools that they ordered Bowlsby to not crown a champion? Doesn't that reflect more on Bowlsby as a beta cuck and as not acting in the interests of the B12 and could therefore be grounds for termination?

• Like 1

I've just watched bits and pieces of this but it's been an embarrassment for all involved.   Baylor and Bowlsby come off desperate.   The Texas lawmakers come off as completely unprepared rubes that don't know shit about college athletics.   Which of course, begs the question, why in the hell is anyone in government involved in this at all.   I can't watch anymore...

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

These schools are trying real hard to screw themselves

Can't pay your own bills ? Here's your options. 

1. We welcome you as UT-Waco / Lubbock / FW , and burn half your admin down to the ground 

2. You new conference will be all texas schools minus A&M and Texas from here on out 

3. All your non-conf games will be all texas directionals 

16 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I've just watched bits and pieces of this but it's been an embarrassment for all involved.   Baylor and Bowlsby come off desperate.   The Texas lawmakers come off as completely unprepared rubes that don't know shit about college athletics.   Which of course, begs the question, why in the hell is anyone in government involved in this at all.   I can't watch anymore...

Well, they are desperate.  The meeting and its accelerated timetable is based on desperation.  They desperately need Texas and OU to stay.  

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Well why not just take Michigan and Ohio State as well? Maybe USC is interested?

Exactly. This should start the negotiations for the top 24 or so universities to just break away from the NCAA and start their own league. Then the rest of FBS can reform conferences and have their own playoff and national champion and everything from FCS down stays the same. 

3 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Clemson and Florida State may not be Texas and ou, but there is a lot of value in blowing up the ACC if the SEC has grand visions in the long-term. Go to 20 with those two and North Carolina plus Virginia and you force Notre Dame into a decision. Pick off the BIG three to close the door on the rust belt option and Notre Dame has to come. Grab some PAC schools and select a couple more BIGs or ACCs to get to a national conference with four 8 or 9 team divisions.

All the realignment talk I've seen contemplates adding powerhouse teams who bring both streamers and TV's to the table. There's a practical limit to how many additional teams the power conferences--say, SEC for example--can add. The way around that, and the next logical (albeit tremendously painful) step in the evolutionary process, is to start jettisoning the deadwood teams in favor of "better" replacements. All the accepted Power-5 conferences could stand to shed a few figurative pounds. That's harsh, but in a world where money talks, bullshit . . . well, it walks. 

Gundy saying the right things. I swear he said he'd coach maybe 8-10 more years 5 years ago, which is why I've been thinking he might retire soon, but he said it again, so maybe he's having fun again. His presence has surely raised our national profile, people like to hear him talk, we're way past the rant, past the mullet now, but he's always sparked interest, and we have 15 straight winning seasons under him, including an outright conference championship, Fiesta Bowl win, 3rd place overall finish, two more NY6 appearances, good ratings, I hope it's enough.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Here is what should have happened several years ago in the Big 12: 

1.  The Big 12 should have looked at the landscape, known that the clock was ticking on the current arrangement and looked to aggressively expand.  By aggressively I mean gone after meatier schools then whatever that piss poor display they put on back in 2016.  Pac-12, Big 10 maybe even Arky, it all should have been thrown out there.

2.  They should have done all that knowing you don't put on a condom unless you're gonna fuck and if that plan didn't work there needed to be a lights out plan for the conference to start the very process that is now taking place where the outcome is getting its members into the best possible situation for the long term future.  Of course now it's a panicked clusterfuck.

That would have required a visionary leader who could coach his member schools.  It also would require member schools that were capable of being honest with themselves, who they were, what they were capable of.

This conference has a buffoon leader who probably spent a bunch of time telling a school like Baylor how great they were instead of praising them for their achievements but consistently having honest conversations with them about their perceived and real weaknesses that would mean that in the lights out plan they were never going to have the same opportunity as a Texas or OU but that they could still have the best opportunity for Baylor. 

The conference also has a bunch of C,D,F team players who can't look themselves in the mirror and be realistic about who they are, what they are actually capable of and what that most likely means for their future.  EVEN THOUGH doing that would certainly have helped them make a better, more thoughtful and less panicked plan on how they would pursue that future.

Why was Texas and OU not trusting and forthright and honest in this whole thing?  Because you can't have honest dealings with a person or entities that can't be honest with themselves.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Charles Perry is a Senator from Lubbock who claims to be a super conservative.  And yet he apparently believes that UT should be forced to share its wealth with Texas Tech and even private schools like Baylor and TCU. 

Ok Cool, Hook Em

• Like 1