Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

In Austin in the last 70s, a 12 pack of Pearl beer was about $1.89. Pearl at that time, also had the Beer Cap puzzles. The first few were easy. For some reason, the more you drank the more difficult they became.
image.png.06d5f958d6688b2ad2df23bdd7c1fbf4.png

In Gainesville you could buy Old Mil long necks for .88 a six-pack. At the ATO house we had a coke machine that sold them for a quarter.

Getting shit faced playing Spades while waiting for the DG sloots social to start in an hour - and sending a pledge with a quarter to bring me a cold one will be one of my happy nursing home memories.
  • Hook 'Em 8

6 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

So maybe I missed it somewhere, everything I read says we are going into the SEC in 2025, please tell me we are goin in 2022?

We will be playing SEC in 2022.  All the statements put out by UT and OU were legal spin to satisfy the Legal Beagles.  It will probably all be set in motion sometime in fall as the football season progresses. 

15 hours ago, ousux said:
19 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Texas as a state is absolutely associated more with the Deep South than people like to admit. We’re basically Alabama with oil money and Mexican food.

The University of Texas as an institution, while it has some southern cultural elements, is generally not a peer of SECSECSEC schools and this gulf will only widen in coming years. Agree we’re not a particularly good culture fit as a school but it’s a no brainier move for revenue and football, which rules the day.

Hard to be upset as a fan if it means annual games with pig, OU, aggy, and LSU though.

The way I've always seen it is like this: everything east of I-35 (not including most of greater Houston) has more in common with the deep south, the rest ranges from Southwest to midwest, and a little Northern Mexico culture thrown in. Austin is its own thing, has elements of all of those cultures mixed with more than a little west coast these days.

Correct…… the closer you get to Louisiana you definitely have a more of a connection to the Deep South, aka Dixie……If you study Texas history, although Texas was very much part of the Confederacy during the Civil War era and unfortunately maintained some of the cultural division such as segregation, it never really adopted the feel of the Old South.   For example our rich didn’t own plantations, but ranches and would function just fine living out in  the sticks vs the society you see portrayed about the Old South like Cotillions, etc . Stuff that  carried over to the last century and kind of reminisced at the colleges such as dressing up for Football games.    I mean I might have missed it, but I don’t think I’ve seen too many folks really being out their Sunday best in Austin unless they are top tier 1 %er . And they are probably watching the game in the suites vs us sweating slugs in the stands. I’ll give those Frat Boys credit in the SEC land wearing a jacket and tie sitting in the stands for a 2 PM kick in Sept.   I don’t even go to a funeral dressed like that anymore.  

Let’s put it  in simple language our new SEC friends can  understand.  Our Rednecks would rather drive with a big Texas flag rather than a Confederate flag hoisted on  the bed of their lifted pickup truck.    Their attachment to Texas is hack of a lot more deep than the confederacy.    

2 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

In Austin in the last 70s, a 12 pack of Pearl beer was about $1.89. Pearl at that time, also had the Beer Cap puzzles. The first few were easy. For some reason, the more you drank the more difficult they became.

There’s a blast from the past. I filled a big old Ragu spaghetti sauce jar with these in law school. Wish I could find it 

2 hours ago, bullet said:

The Shiner bock reference was for the young ones, especially since I don't really drink Lone Star.  I'm old enough to remember when Coors was new to Texas (think it hit Dallas in the 70s).  And was on the 40 acres when Earl and DKR were still there.

As for the sweet tea, your people must be from East Texas.  Further west, we like it straight or prefer to sweeten it ourselves.  In the Deep South they put a little tea in their sugar bowl and serve it as tea.

Speaking of Lone Star and maybe you or someone can answer this for me….  A couple of years ago, we went to a bar in Austin ( forgot the name right now) and it was probably filled with folks from their 20s to the 40s, maybe older….  Anyhow they had huge beer selection, leaning heavily on Crafts and brands  from Texas , but also your  typical domestic (piss waters)  and well known international beers from Mexico, etc.    But the majority of the folks walking around with a bottle  had a Lone Star.  I’m like what the heck with all the brands available on tap, can, or bottle are they drinking Lone Star.  I mean that was our cheap go to instead of The Beast ( Milwaukee’s Best) or it was easily accessible because many of parents kept some in stock back in the day.  If you want to show your Texas, Shiner Bock is much better choice, IMO.    

2 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

Glad I wasn't around for these. Would've sprouted a beer gut for the ages.

Edited by Bevo14

Let’s put it  in simple language our new SEC friends can  understand.  Our Rednecks would rather drive with a big Texas flag rather than a Confederate flag hoisted on  the bed of their lifted pickup truck.    Their attachment to Texas is heck of a lot more deep than almost anything.

fify

30 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Speaking of Lone Star and maybe you or someone can answer this for me….  A couple of years ago, we went to a bar in Austin ( forgot the name right now) and it was probably filled with folks from their 20s to the 40s, maybe older….  Anyhow they had huge beer selection, leaning heavily on Crafts and brands  from Texas , but also your  typical domestic (piss waters)  and well known international beers from Mexico, etc.    But the majority of the folks walking around with a bottle  had a Lone Star.  I’m like what the heck with all the brands available on tap, can, or bottle are they drinking Lone Star.  I mean that was our cheap go to instead of The Beast ( Milwaukee’s Best) or it was easily accessible because many of parents kept some in stock back in the day.  If you want to show your Texas, Shiner Bock is much better choice, IMO.    

My son says a lot drink PBR here in the Deep South-the cheap go to.  Maybe Lone Star is still the cheap go to even for 20 somethings in Texas.

4 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

I wonder why espn wouldnt tell the leftovers to merge with the aac and they will give 10 to 15 mil per team and a 10 year deal. Only condition let OU and UT go without penalty. 

The Big 12 is one of the autonomous 5 conferences so the thought of the Big12 schools joining the AAC is dumb.  Plus the AAC has some teams that aren’t good realignment candidates so adding the Big 12 schools to them doesn’t fix that.  Basically if the Big12 doesn’t get dissolved they will expand.
Best options:

Texas schools: Houston or SMU

Western schools: BYU or Boise St

Florida schools: UCF or USF

Others: Cincy or Memphis

Tulane is a small private school in a good market with great academics but can’t complete in this new age of college football with a 30k seat stadium.  The Big12 needs more WVU’s and less Baylor/TCU’s.

Tulsa is very similar to Tulane, but remove the great academics and good market (#3 in Oklahoma < #2 in Louisiana) plus they are REALLY small with only 3k enrollment. 

East Carolina is competing for 5th place in North Carolina and is losing that battle to Appalachian State and Charlotte little by little.

Temple just doesn’t move the needle.  Philly is a pro town, they won’t drive TV money.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

The Big 12 is one of the autonomous 5 conferences so the thought of the Big12 schools joining the AAC is dumb.  Plus the AAC has some teams that aren’t good realignment candidates so adding the Big 12 schools to them doesn’t fix that.  Basically if the Big12 doesn’t get dissolved they will expand.
Best options:

Tulane is a small private school in a good market with great academics but can’t complete in this new age of college football with a 30k seat stadium.  The Big12 needs more WVU’s and less Baylor/TCU’s.

Tulsa is very similar to Tulane, but remove the great academics and good market (#3 in Oklahoma < #2 in Louisiana) plus they are REALLY small with only 3k enrollment. 

East Carolina is competing for 5th place in North Carolina and is losing that battle to Appalachian State and Charlotte little by little.

Temple just doesn’t move the needle.  Philly is a pro town, they won’t drive TV money.

I don't think the A5 thing is going to matter soon, the NCAA is calling a constitutional convention and appears to be waving the white flag as a regulatory body.

10 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

I don't think the A5 thing is going to matter soon, the NCAA is calling a constitutional convention and appears to be waving the white flag as a regulatory body.

Yeah, and if the CFP schools split it wouldn’t matter anyways, but until that happens, there is more value in the Big12 as an organization than the AAC because they are autonomous and also because they have better bowl deals including the Sugar bowl through 2025, sponsorships, name recognition, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

When I was in high school my friends and I used to drive to Marble falls to buy it and bring it back to Houston to sell at a profit

Glad to hear that.  I thought I was the only one that was 21 and still in high school. 🤘

54 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Yeah, and if the CFP schools split it wouldn’t matter anyways, but until that happens, there is more value in the Big12 as an organization than the AAC because they are autonomous and also because they have better bowl deals including the Sugar bowl through 2025, sponsorships, name recognition, etc.

Sugar Bowl execs are like wait, through 2025??

spacer.png

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Best options:

This is one of the rosiest interpretations of Big 12’s future I think I’ve read so far 

• Haha 1

Now that the ink has dried, here's an article that ran on SI in 2016:  An oral history of the formation of the Big 12.

https://www.si.com/college/2016/08/16/big-12-expansion-oral-history-big-8-swc-merger

Slocum: I remember one meeting in particular, when they were talking about scheduling. We'd had the traditional game of A&M-Texas on Thanksgiving and the Nebraska-OU game that weekend. Some of the other coaches were saying, "You all say all of this is going to be done with a computer. How come is it that A&M and Texas and OU and Nebraska all still have their games?" Donnie Duncan said, "I'm going to be frank about it to you: The only inventory that we really have that the networks are really excited about and want is the A&M-Texas game and the OU-Nebraska game." I'm not sure if everybody appreciated that.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Best options:

Why would AAC schools jump ship when they have a dedicated deal through 2031 with ESPN that pays each 10 million a year versus the Big 12 that will have to renegotiate its deal in 2025 and be at the mercy of what Fox wants to pay because I'd imagine the well has been poisoned with ESPN? They're not getting a playoff spot when Texas and OU leave in 2022 unless there's an increase in the number of teams which now seems to be screeching to a halt because the other conference want to get lapped by the SEC some more. Depending on what you get from ESPN, Texas, and OU, there's some money there but not beyond 2025. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Why would AAC schools jump ship when they have a dedicated deal through 2031 with ESPN that pays each 10 million a year versus the Big 12 that will have to renegotiate its deal in 2025 and be at the mercy of what Fox wants to pay because I'd imagine the well has been poisoned with ESPN? They're not getting a playoff spot when Texas and OU leave in 2022 unless there's an increase in the number of teams which now seems to be screeching to a halt because the other conference want to get lapped by the SEC some more. Depending on what you get from ESPN, Texas, and OU, there's some money there but not beyond 2025. 

Even if ESPN doesn't bid on the Big 12's inventory, someone is going to (FOX, CBS's cable/streaming platform, Big Tech company, etc.) and you're likely to make more than you would have in the American.  It's still a seller's market for live inventory right now and the Irate8 + 2 have some relatively high quality inventory.    

Beyond that, if you're Houston, which schedule sells more tickets and drives the most donations... Tech, Baylor, TCU, OSU... or Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, etc.?  UH basketball can host Kansas and Baylor or Wichita State and Tulsa?  That's not close.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

If the AAC is worth 10 million a year the Big 12 with the best of the AAC would be worth more.  We shit on the remaining Big 12 schools for their lack of value compared to Texas and Oklahoma but it’s obvious that they are worth more than the majority of the AAC:

Okie St > Tulsa

Kansas > Wichita St

Tech > UH

TCU > SMU

Baylor > Tulane

West Virginia > Cincy

Iowa St > Temple

K State > East Carolina

If the Big12 adds the best of the AAC (UH, UCF, Memphis, Cincy) their floor would be getting the same TV deal but it should be even better when you swap out schools like Tulsa for Okie St.

Bowl line up, including the Sugar Bowl (even if it’s only for a few years), and being part of the autonomous 5 all still mean something…for now.

Edited by TKthunder2
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

When I was in high school my friends and I used to drive to Marble falls to buy it and bring it back to Houston to sell at a profit

Yep, roommate of mine at SWT and I used to go load his Vega down in San Angelo and bring it back to San Marcos to make money 💰

17 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

-Cheer for the home team

-Strike while the irons hot

-United we stand

-Be a ______ spot (stumped on this one)

-Prevent forest fires

-May the force be with you

-Count to ten

-Going places

-Your'e on the right tack

-Dont Play with matches

• Hook 'Em 2