Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

9 minutes ago, 89Horn said:

Shiner Bock was our go to cheap keg beer at UT in mid to late '80s.  No sweet tea for this native Texan.

Brewed with an Attitude. Took a banner from the Posse East and put it up at the US Marine House in Sarajevo in 1996. God I wish I had that picture. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

Gambrinus, the company that acquired the Spoetzel Brewery in the late '80s, used to be one of my clients. In early 1991, Shiner Bock was only distributed in Austin, San Antonio and towns in between. Within a year it was statewide and national a year after that.

We had two kids from Weimar on our hall in Moore-Hill in 1980-81 who drank Shiner like water. Good guys, completely inseparable. If they are still alive, I’m certain they are still best friends, probably live next door to one another.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Vito Andolini said:

We had two kids from Weimar on our hall in Moore-Hill in 1980-81 who drank Shiner like water. Good guys, completely inseparable. If they are still alive, I’m certain they are still best friends, probably live next door to one another.

I lived in the Hilton. Hyphen residents, holla !

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TeeDubya said:

Sociologists and anthropologists would point out both East TX and SE OK have a strong association with the DS.  Of course, there's a lot of the Southwest and Plains in both states too.

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

Yep.  My wife is from NC (I was such an a-hole I had to go out of state to find a wife).  Carolinians don’t consider Texas to be part of the South.  They consider us to be part of the West. 

The first time I heard Texas referred to as 'the South' it sounded just plain weird.  The South is where Mr Lincoln sent the main Union Army.  

And as the other guys said, in TX you can see your meat, it isn't drowning in vinegar sauce.

• Hook 'Em 3

Texas as a state is absolutely associated more with the Deep South than people like to admit. We’re basically Alabama with oil money and Mexican food.

The University of Texas as an institution, while it has some southern cultural elements, is generally not a peer of SECSECSEC schools and this gulf will only widen in coming years. Agree we’re not a particularly good culture fit as a school but it’s a no brainier move for revenue and football, which rules the day.

Hard to be upset as a fan if it means annual games with pig, OU, aggy, and LSU though.
The way I've always seen it is like this: everything east of I-35 (not including most of greater Houston) has more in common with the deep south, the rest ranges from Southwest to midwest, and a little Northern Mexico culture thrown in. Austin is its own thing, has elements of all of those cultures mixed with more than a little west coast these days.
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Texas as a state is absolutely associated more with the Deep South than people like to admit. We’re basically Alabama with oil money and Mexican food.

The University of Texas as an institution, while it has some southern cultural elements, is generally not a peer of SECSECSEC schools and this gulf will only widen in coming years. Agree we’re not a particularly good culture fit as a school but it’s a no brainier move for revenue and football, which rules the day.

Hard to be upset as a fan if it means annual games with pig, OU, aggy, and LSU though.

The way I've always seen it is like this: everything east of I-35 (not including most of greater Houston) has more in common with the deep south, the rest ranges from Southwest to midwest, and a little Northern Mexico culture thrown in. Austin is its own thing, has elements of all of those cultures mixed with more than a little west coast these days.

https://fb.watch/75XYaXVcm4/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

We will email them beforehand directions, tell them what tow truck drivers to call, make sure a stray collie does not knock up their bulldog, and nah, we are gonna fucking fleece them on their taxes, push it all into our general ed fund and use it to buy bad ass running backs from Florida. Ya know, psyops. we have McRaven to advise. Aggy has this dude. 

image.png.5c2283a59ec2c2c745670ee281421055.png

We are Texas. We are the Empire. 

8A350008-9C1F-40D2-BE89-5C348E25DA51.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Fuck Alabama. Fuck Oklahoma. Fuck the SEC. 
We're Texas.

You got assimilated by the Borg my man. How you deal with that - in whatever manner that gives you the most comfort - we good with that.

7be6d1fcde23a295909fb28eda401d2e.jpg

I want to see a parody billboard of the one Aggy put in Gainesville put in College Station by you bastards. Is it too much to ask?

9 hours ago, bullet said:

Not only that, but most SEC fans, including my Georgia wife, insist Texas is NOT the South.

The fact that we don't insist on sweet tea is a clear signal!  And to top that off, we have our unsweetened tea or Shiner bock with beef BBQ, not pork.

I always thought Texas wasn't the South too.  When I lived in San Antonio the girl I dated there truly believed that Texas was the South. Always felt that Texas is more of its own identity the longer I lived there.

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

You got assimilated by the Borg my man. How you deal with that - in whatever manner that gives you the most comfort - we good with that.

I want to see a parody billboard of the one Aggy put in Gainesville put in College Station by you bastards. Is it too much to ask?

Our ‘howdy’ bill board should just be proper burnt orange and say in white lettering 

“You’re welcome”

<Longhorns sign>

10 hours ago, TeeDubya said:

Sociologists and anthropologists would point out both East TX and SE OK have a strong association with the DS.  Of course, there's a lot of the Southwest and Plains in both states too.

Texas is a state all its own. Its deep south, midwest, southwest and basically northern mexico. I wouldnt call anything west of i45 (including college station) deep south. I wouldnt call anything east of san angelo, southwest. I wouldnt call anything south of waco midwest and i wouldnt call anything north of san antonio really mexican

Im all for bashing aggy and sec, but you cant really simplify texas that easily

• Hook 'Em 6

7 hours ago, ousux said:
11 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Lol dammit, didnt see this post but basically thia

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

I think it will be interesting when the SEC fans make their way to Austin and are blown away by how enjoyable a trip it is and how we're not the massive shitbags aggy, Arkie, and Mizzou have made us out to be. 

I'm a little curious how they're going to react when they discover all of Austin's budget hotels are on a 12 lane highway (with frontage roads) and the Motel 6 is 2 or 3 times more expensive per night than their favorite one near gramma's house.

Gayest fucking shit in the history of gay fucking shit. You’ll get no billboard.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/30/2021 at 1:41 PM, Lidig8r said:

Boys, I can't help but feel a seismic shift in "who has hand."

When aggy was accepted into the SEC, I imagine the thinking was long these lines, " Ok boys, there is a recruiting rich environment in the State of Texas and we are not getting enough of them. There are a lot of television sets in Houston too. Let's go after them. 

So, they naturally look at aggy. And the SEC knows that aggy has not finished in the top 4 in football, basketball nor baseball since before the North Koreans poured over the 38th parallel. aggy has a massive inferiority complex and will be just the type of cuckold puppet we need. They won't challenge our national power programs and they will put the conference above their own needs. And... we can screw with Texas a little bit. And so .... aggy gets the invitation. And it works out exactly like the SEC thought it would.  aggy trumpets the conference, doesn't even win their own division, and they don't see that the SEC is humping their wife every time aggy goes out into the sheep fields.

With Texas ... there is a different narrative. Texas brings to the SEC a national brand. It bolsters the SEC's bankroll and makes negotiations with the SEC's Sith Lord and Master, the Mouse, a bit easier. BUT, for the mighty SEC there is a downside. Whereas, aggy wasn't much of a threat to go into Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia to poach recruits... we are... and will. After all, "How ya gonna keep 'em down on the Farm after they've seen Paree? (or Austin)" They are bringing the wealthiest and now, most successful athletic program into the SEC.

Undoubtedly, there have been talks about conference championship games rotating with some being played in Texas.... something the SEC did not even have to consider when the cuckold puppet joined.

As Japanese Admiral Yamamoto wrote in his diary, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant ... and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Did someone say Sleeping Giant?  I'm about ready wake up and start slapping bitches.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Billboards are for cheap aggy. We prefer airplane banners here. 

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This is pretty good analysis. 

2 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

So maybe I missed it somewhere, everything I read says we are going into the SEC in 2025, please tell me we are goin in 2022?

All of that is per current contracts. If the big xii dissolves that doesn't matter. If the buyout is paid that doesn't matter. 

On 7/30/2021 at 12:51 PM, mchookem said:

my beef with 11am games, at least the past decade, is that i drown my football sorrows, so i'm drunk as shit by 2pm, passed out by 3, and hungover with a massive headache by 6pm on a saturday night! 

one of the Maryland games...my niece decided to 'drop in' unexpectedly at about 2:30pm...and found me naked in the pool unable to talk without slurring and i couldnt even explain why 😄

not my finest moment as her stalwart role model aunt 😳😜

curiosity GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

All of that is per current contracts. If the big xii dissolves that doesn't matter. If the buyout is paid that doesn't matter. 

So does it seem likely we will be int he SEC in 2022, whether it comes by dissolution or by us paying the buyout? Or is there a chance we go independent for a few years?

10 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Well, good for you.

When I was a kid, if you wanted sweet tea in Texas in a restaurant you had to add the sugar yourself. Unlike the South, presweetened tea was not a thing in the overwhelming majority of restaurants in Texas.  That has changed over time.

And sweet tea is shit.

And when I ordered iced tea I didn't have to answer a dumbass followup question.  It's the dismal tide.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

So does it seem likely we will be int he SEC in 2022, whether it comes by dissolution or by us paying the buyout? Or is there a chance we go independent for a few years?

2022 is very likely 2023 is 100% likely. There will be no independent for a few years in this cycle. 

6 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

What would going independent do? We either stick around or we leave. Leaving to be independent doesn't make money owed magically disappear. If we leave, we leave and enter the SEC immediately. 

8 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

We are not going independent for a few years. 

We are most likely playing a SEC schedule in all sports starting Fall 2022.  The chances of us actually staying in the Big 12 after this year are slim, but your definitely can’t say it’s 0%

7 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

If only aggy had been the one to actually put it there and not ahem cough.....ShaggyBevo.

Which means the good news is, there are a few shall we say qualified individuals around here who could fulfill your request.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Born Burnt said:

Gambrinus, the company that acquired the Spoetzel Brewery in the late '80s, used to be one of my clients. In early 1991, Shiner Bock was only distributed in Austin, San Antonio and towns in between. Within a year it was statewide and national a year after that.

Shiner Bock was considered horse piss 60 years ago by us knowledgeable high school kids. Lone Star longnecks were the preferred brew of choice by the young’uns.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I’m starting to think the Big10 and Pac aren’t going to do anything wrt Big 12 teams, leaving the Ir8 8 nowhere left to go. So they will announce adding Houston, Cincy and maybe two others for 2025 in a desperation move. If that happens, the current TV contracts get played out and OU and Texas will have to go the buyout route? 

8 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

Y'all unsweet tea drinkers are fucking high. I want my tea to make my dentist cry when he takes a sip. And I want a whole lemon slice in that motherfucker. No exceptions.

I like my tea sweet, too, but I rarely order sweet tea because 'sweet tea' is usually wayyyy too sweet & I have no idea what the restaurant uses to sweeten it. I want control over what & how much stuff goes into my tea. No lemon for me though ....

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m starting to think the Big10 and Pac aren’t going to do anything wrt Big 12 teams, leaving the Ir8 8 nowhere left to go. So they will announce adding Houston, Cincy and maybe two others for 2025 in a desperation move. If that happens, the current TV contracts get played out and OU and Texas will have to go the buyout route? 

That's our plan it seems and I'd bet BYU is the first team offered.

2 hours ago, The Grassy Nole said:

I always thought Texas wasn't the South too.  When I lived in San Antonio the girl I dated there truly believed that Texas was the South. Always felt that Texas is more of its own identity the longer I lived there.

I've lived a big chunk of my life in the South (Tennessee, Florida, Virginia), and a bigger chunk in Texas. Texas has it's own distinct culture & subcultures, etc. In 'the South', it's all intertwined & the culture is basically the same throughout. Most of Texas is not the south. East Texas does have a more 'southern' feel.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, wood said:

'Course I left out the panhandle. A lotta people do ...'

Kills me every time.

When he does the double-take to the camera after "where the Tex meets and the Mex"...he pauses and then says "like the food?" in this kinda smirky tone like "You know, Tex-Mex food, dumbass?"  But he's so sweet about it.  That's the part that gets me.  It's one of the best 60 seconds in any movie of the last 20 years.  

On 7/22/2021 at 7:11 AM, JohnnyRage said:

With our media rights being through 2025, I don't think that this is happening. This is just propaganda. If it happens it's not the smartest game theory to a championship, but it also has some recruiting and revenue benefits.

So just came back to tell you guys, "I Told You So!"

Game theory in regards to championships is going to be a tough row to hoe, but it's doable and sustainable. The short term revenue benefits are negligible. We could've bilked the rest of the Big 12 to stick around, still had the LHN for a decade, and not paid exit fees. But the long term premier conference leverage outlook requires shades.

With our lack of winning on the field and the draft development that takes place in the SEC it seems that it has been a tough sell to elite recruits even when their dream school used to be Texas. That narrative by A&M can now go fuck itself. Interesting point on the Surly Podcast that this does not happen without N.I.L and other legal changes. The paying, for now, will be out in the open and we can partake. All the other inherent qualities of The University, the city, and the state can be added to the pile. These our recruits now, and we'll also have some of yours too.

I could not even fathom being apart of this and the other threads for 12 years, but I was wrong. You guys made it through to the other side. May I please come aboard? I'm on regardless. Never ever chant SEC unless it's immediately followed by a mocking 'SUCKS!'

Fuck'em

Hook'em

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1