Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

45 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

the next domino to watch to see if it falls is Penn St to the ACC.  If the ACC can find a way to make to help get them a disproportionate amount of the athletics revenue to make up for the research trust dollars they leave behind by leaving the B1G, then we could see them exit the B1G for the ACC.

The B1G really covets North Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech and Virginia, but they may not be proactive going after them unless someone else makes a move.  If Penn St leaves to go to a conference where they could be THE BRAND - the ACC, then the B1G will probably go hard for the four ACC schools. and the B1G may also kick Nebraska to the curb in the process.

That would then leave the remainder of the ACC up for the pickings, Clemson, Florida St. Penn St suddenly become part of the SEC.

While Penn St isn't happy in the B1G, I don't think it makes any sense for them to move.  But this is what is being talked about in B1G circles

Culturally State Pen belongs in the ACC. I would think that if The Nambly Lions were to join the ACC then that would keep Clemson and FSU in the ACC. It could also shuffle the money for TV and that would benefit the ACC schools. At least in a sane world I would think that.

7 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Here ya go 2 different setups where B1G raids PAC: I figure WVU goes to ACC in both models/ Kansas goes B1G (with either Colorado or Missouri) -

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

You think Arizona State, Oregon State, and Wazzu would leave the PAC for this? I am not sure you have been paying attention. 

Edited by Vertigo

55 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The only team Mackovic had that was good was 1995. The Nebraska game makes people forget all the horrible underachieving that team did in 1996.

And this despite having tons of future NFL players at every position on offense. In fact Mackovic's teams were probably more talented than Mack's last 4. He left the cupboard full for Mack...at least on offense.

That team that beat Nebraska had 2 future NFL rushing leaders as its 2nd and 3rd running backs (Ricky and Priest).  Shon Mitchell (#1) might have been great if he hadn't gotten hurt.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Mackovic had his faults, but talent identification was not one of them, particularly on both sides of the line.

Yes, Mackovic had some absolute studs that he recruited along the lines: Blake Brockermeyer, Dan Neil, Leonard Davis, Casey Hampton, Sean Rodgers  among others. 

Edited by Vertigo

40 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

What happened in that game is exactly what underdogs face in the SEC. The SEC doesn't have favorite teams like lots of them complain about, they have a consistent pattern of making terrible calls in favor of the higher ranked team, I'm sure purely by coincidence.

This is true.  My concern with the SEC is that they don't protect the players.  Late hits out of bounds are ok.  And they allow some late hits on QBs, let alone RBs.

In fairness to the Big 12, nobody is as bad as the Pac refs.  Their calls are so bad you can't even link it to corruption.  You can't figure out why they call what they do!

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Yes, Mackovic had some absolute studs that he recruited along the lines: Blake Brockermeyer, Dan Neil, Leonard Davis, Casey Hampton, Sean Rodgers  among others. 

Mike Williams as well.  Mack inherited bookend tackles that were both drafted in the top 10.

18 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Culturally State Pen belongs in the ACC. I would think that if The Nambly Lions were to join the ACC then that would keep Clemson and FSU in the ACC. It could also shuffle the money for TV and that would benefit the ACC schools. At least in a sane world I would think that.

You can get good, pork BBQ in PA with vinegar sauce? Who knew?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You or someone else is going to have to explain the "Culturally Penn State belongs in the ACC thing to me." Because State College is in the middle of fucking Pennsyltucky nowhere, and they were at the early adoption forefront of systemic and malicious child rape and general sexual assault which has become the hallmark of everything Big 10. Culturally I'd say their in prettaaaaay much perfect alignment with the Big 10. The only else they could do is erect a Sandusky statute next to Larry Nasser and call it "Conference Builders."

I just mean by the kids who go to the school. Administration allowing rape is a different story, and yeah, in that they belong in the Fat 10.

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

You think Arizona State, Oregon State, and Wazzu would leave the PAC for this? I am not sure you have been paying attention. 

I think it's implied that those are the Pac leftovers after the B1G raids USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, UW, and UO.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If best of the current PAC join the B1G, the PAC leftovers would be left with no choice but to merge with the Ir8 and maybe add some others. Of course that's a huge "IF"

4 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I just mean by the kids who go to the school. Administration allowing rape is a different story, and yeah, in that they belong in the Fat 10.

You shouldn't blame it on the admin. Because when it happened all the alums and fucking students rushed straight to the "witch hunt" defense and denied wrongdoing and got all bitchy and pissy, just like fucking Baylor fans. I didn't meet or see a single Penn State fan say "Yeah, this is beyond fucked up and I'm embarrassed." No, I saw Franco Harris getting on TV and yelling to anyone who would listen that JoPa was a great man. Sorry, that's systemic. 

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

You shouldn't blame it on the admin. Because when it happened all the alums and fucking students rushed straight to the "witch hunt" defense and denied wrongdoing and got all bitchy and pissy, just like fucking Baylor fans. I didn't meet or see a single Penn State fan say "Yeah, this is beyond fucked up and I'm embarrassed." No, I saw Franco Harris getting on TV and yelling to anyone who would listen that JoPa was a great man. Sorry, that's systemic. 

You will NEVER get me to defend that place. I hate it with every fiber of my body. If it would blow up I'd be fine. I'm not a fan of the GodPaCult.

To me, and most of us around here, they are an eastern school. Not a midwestern school. That's all I was saying.

You can search any of my posts here and see that I harbor no good feelings towards that place. I have only two Nitter friends. And they are the only sane ones I know.

State Pen isn't any more nor less goofy than aggy or tu or mythigan or any of the other stupid things fan bases use in attempts to denigrate their rivals.

But State Pen is also not as biting or accurate as Pedo State, so that's the one I choose to go with.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well well, Bowlsby may not be a total inept moron after all

It seems to me, his best bet is to stick with a scheduling alliance and try to sell the content to Fox or CBS while keeping the conferences separate and the big iix intact until Texas and blowu settle. 

Regardless, SEC insiders are planning on our arrival next year, so let’s move on with all the extraneous conference realignment details and move on to gossiping about divisions and schedules. 

34 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Unless there's a promised change to the ACC contract with a move there's no way that Penn State leaves the B10

This. It would be a massive pay cut plus the academic side would rebel because of the CIC and its research dollars in the billions. 

Nobody is leaving the B1G for anywhere. 

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

State Pen isn't any more nor less goofy than aggy or tu or mythigan or any of the other stupid things fan bases use in attempts to denigrate their rivals.

But State Pen is also not as biting or accurate as Pedo State, so that's the one I choose to go with.

Wrong! It is about contempt.

den·i·grate - criticize unfairly; disparage. (All aggy criticism is more than fair and deserved.)

con·tempt - the feeling that a person or a thing is beneath consideration, worthless, or deserving scorn.

I say the second is why I use aggy

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Yep.

You smile, wait until she's done, and then leave quietly.

You also reach into your pocket, peel a couple of C notes, and toss them on the floor in front of her as you leave.  

Post script:  she quickly drops to her knees to gather the cash as you leave.

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I am sure no shenanigans of any kind will ever happen in the SEC. Straight honest dealing all the time.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

What happened in that game is exactly what underdogs face in the SEC. The SEC doesn't have favorite teams like lots of them complain about, they have a consistent pattern of making terrible calls in favor of the higher ranked team, I'm sure purely by coincidence.

Hey, I get the calls issues, we got that shit too in the Big XII against Kansas, but NO ONE has seen a ref run up to the ball while the chain is being pulled and rock the ball backwards to make it 4th down. The ref literally runs to the ball as the chain is being pulled and dropped to move the ball. The Big XII is awful and known for shitty refereeing but that was mind bottling.

Someone walk me through the economics of a "scheduling alliance".   Is the theory that you bundle 4 games for each remaining big 12 team against a PAC team (2 home and home with some neutral sites sprinkled in) and sell rights to those 32 games?  It's not a bad idea if the numbers work although how many of those are "marquee" enough to drive revenue when split that many ways.  Also just don't see how this works for the irat8 long term.   I don't see how an 8 team league with no marquee name retains power 5 status. 

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Someone walk me through the economics of a "scheduling alliance".   Is the theory that you bundle 4 games for each remaining big 12 team against a PAC team (2 home and home with some neutral sites sprinkled in) and sell rights to those 32 games?  It's not a bad idea if the numbers work although how many of those are "marquee" enough to drive revenue when split that many ways.  Also just don't see how this works for the irat8 long term.   I don't see how an 8 team league with no marquee name retains power 5 status. 

I think it's more like the conference "challenges" in basketball.  If the Big 12 and Pac 12 agree to it, then each conference would get a few marquee games out of conference guaranteed to sell to the TV executives.  

9 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Hey, I get the calls issues, we got that shit too in the Big XII against Kansas, but NO ONE has seen a ref run up to the ball while the chain is being pulled and rock the ball backwards to make it 4th down. The ref literally runs to the ball as the chain is being pulled and dropped to move the ball. The Big XII is awful and known for shitty refereeing but that was mind bottling.

https://youtu.be/x5X1cElgBo4

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well I believe that exact thing also happened in the 1992 Baylor-Texas game when Grant Teaff needed to go out a winner. So maybe they were just SWC refs acting out their old traditions.

Just another reason to leave Baylor behind.