2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

13 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

So did we make it through yesterday without anyone jumping in? I know there’s a 48 hour lag time to make them public, but has anyone gotten the “all clear” from behind the scenes?

According to Bobby/Gerry as of the recording of their video yesterday all remains quiet on the 40 in that regards but who knows if anything changed since the recording and shut off time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

According to Bobby/Gerry as of the recording of their video yesterday all remains quiet on the 40 in that regards but who knows if anything changed since the recording and shut off time. 

Yeah, I just listened to that this morning. They sounded cautiously optimistic but hinted there were still a few situations they were still monitoring. Thanks

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If something happened, the player is keeping it very, very quiet and so is the program. That’s not the way it usually works and not the way UT players have acted for the last month, so I’d be blown away if someone “quietly” submitted their info. 

That’s great to read, thanks. I may have read too much into Bobby’s “duck” comment (it’s quiet on the surface but paddling furiously underneath). 

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

That’s great to read, thanks. I may have read too much into Bobby’s “duck” comment (it’s quiet on the surface but paddling furiously underneath). 

I took that as the NIL side being ready to move if a player requested more NIL or wanted to hit the portal. Essentially that they're ready to act if need be to retain a player.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Transfer Portal On Fire - Monday Whispers & Intel (Late Kick Cut)

1 hour ago 

(Michigan State is hemorrhaging)

Not sure what they’re mentioning, but Rittenberg on XM84 this morning said that Auburn and UF were “aggressive” with regard to the Michigan State transfers. 

21 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm sure he has no interest in backing up Sanders - but this is a good one:

Probably not a TE of interest - I doubt he can block:

• Height     6-4
  • Weight    210

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

There goes the Cincinnati LB aggy was trying to get in on

Pittman has added a pretty good portal class.  Hopefully he can beat aggy again after giving it away last year.  Auburn has a pretty salty portal class as well.

37 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Pittman has added a pretty good portal class.  Hopefully he can beat aggy again after giving it away last year.  Auburn has a pretty salty portal class as well.

@closetojumping  could probably answer this best, but...  Going forward, it will be interesting to see whether putting NIL towards signing and then keeping guys will be a better use of limited funds verses poaching other teams' players. We pretty much do both but focus more on signing and keeping guys. USC does both but focuses more on enticing guys into the portal. Auburn and Arkansas have focused more on bringing guys in from the portal than on recruiting.

Observation- a lot of the players that, as HSers, wanted to stay away from big programs and/or big cities, are more willing as junior or senior transfers to appreciate the big program and city. 
It’s like it’s not even a factor. You don’t hear a portal entrant say, “It wasn’t working out for me here. I want to try a different situation, but…I prefer to find a school with that ‘small town’ feel”. At this point, the guys aren’t shy about bigger ponds and are just looking for the best competitive situation. Hell, the big city may even be a plus. 

Edited by statsman

5 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Didn't Ewers torch this guy for about 17  TDs last year?

He came in and played really well as a freshman, then got steadily worse and less confident as things progressed.  If Miami is able to undo some of the damage done, they'll have a really talented guy to work with.  They were able to do it with Farooq at WR, so it's definitely possible in some cases.

6 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

He came in and played really well as a freshman, then got steadily worse and less confident as things progressed.  If Miami is able to undo some of the damage done, they'll have a really talented guy to work with.  They were able to do it with Farooq at WR, so it's definitely possible in some cases.

????  Farooq is a receiver for Oklahoma.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

They’ll get the continued hype for guys like this but he’s as jaggerish as any JAG who has ever jagged. PK was on him in high school and didn’t even lob a phone call in this time. In HS, Texas had some interest and I asked one of my buddies about him and he said, simply: “you don’t want him and I have no idea why he is rated so highly.” Okay then. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

“you don’t want him and I have no idea why he is rated so highly.” Okay then. 

This is the case about many of these guys. People get so caught up in measureables and "potential" that they often don't see the glaringly obvious that's staring them in their faces.