[News/Updates] Mass Shooting at Robb Elementary Uvalde - 5/24/2022

Ghost of LL

On 7/22/2022 at 10:15 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Bo Jackson, yes that Bo Jackson, paid for all of the Uvalde funeral expenses.  

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/22/us/bo-jackson-uvalde-funeral-expenses/index.html

I had heard a couple days after the shootings that the Uvalde funeral homes were not charging the families for the funerals. Maybe the money started flowing in from other sources and they took that money. But the families were never going to be the ones paying.

Great thing for Bo to do though.

TXDPS sued by major news organizations for public records on Uvalde shooting

New York (CNN Business)More than a dozen major news organizations have filed a lawsuit against the Texas Department of Public Safety to obtain public records relating to the Robb Elementary School massacre.

The coalition includes CNN, the Texas Tribune, and many of the state and the country's biggest news outlets.
The news organizations have been fighting for weeks to obtain information on behalf of the public amid serial falsehoods and stonewalling from Texas officials in the aftermath of the mass shooting.
The lawsuit, filed in state court in Austin, arises under the Texas Public Information Act, which enables news outlets and members of the public to pursue litigation to obtain records. The news outlets cited many previous requests for information and an "ensuing failure to disclose public records concerning this abhorrent tragedy."
"The Texas Department of Public Safety has offered inconsistent accounts of how law enforcement responded to the Uvalde tragedy, and its lack of transparency has stirred suspicion and frustration in a community that is still struggling with grief and shock," said Laura Lee Prather, a First Amendment lawyer at Haynes Boone who represents the plaintiffs. "DPS has refused numerous requests by these news organizations even though it's clear under Texas law that the public is entitled to have access to these important public records. We ask that the court grant our petition so that the people of Texas can understand the truth about what happened."
The suit notes that the public safety department has "selectively disclosed" information, but has dismissed more thorough records requests. Thus the news outlets want the court to order the department "to produce all responsive records."
The other participating news organizations are ABC, CBS, NBC, The New York Times, Wall Street Journal owner Dow Jones, The Washington Post, and ProPublica; local TV and media companies Gannett, Graham Media, Scripps and TEGNA
Nicole Carroll, the editor in chief of Gannett's USA Today, said on CNN's "Reliable Sources" last month that the coalition is necessary because "we need to get to the truth. And we're fighting for these records so we can get the truth."
Officials have "been stonewalling us" and changing their stories, she pointed out. "We've been misled, documents have been withheld."
  • Rage+1 1

Wow it gets worse!

Texas DPS trooper arrived on scene of Uvalde school shooting earlier than previously known, body cam shows

(CNN)Body camera footage released by the city of Uvalde last month shows a Texas Department of Public Safety trooper was on the scene outside Robb Elementary School just 2 minutes and 28 seconds after the gunman entered, a timeline earlier than previously known.

The department had only disclosed, in timelines and testimony, that the first state trooper entered the school hallway at 11:42 a.m., nine minutes after the gunman entered the school. But DPS had not stated when the trooper first arrived at the school itself.
The more specific timeline raises further questions about DPS's own transparency and role in the botched police response, even as the department leads the investigation into what happened. The body camera video was provided to CNN by Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin, who has expressed his frustration with the department's investigation and accused DPS of a "cover-up."

The head of the largest police union in Texas said the new timeline raised serious questions about the department's trustworthiness.

"I don't know that we can trust them to do an internal investigation," Charley Wilkison, the executive director of the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas, which represents some law enforcement officers in Uvalde, told CNN on Tuesday. "It would be best if the investigation were headed up by an outside independent source that the public can have total confidence in.

TLDR - the cops have been lying through their fucking teeth, as is tradition. It's only going to get worse and uglier as we uncover more of their lies. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Wow it gets worse!
Texas DPS trooper arrived on scene of Uvalde school shooting earlier than previously known, body cam shows

(CNN)Body camera footage released by the city of Uvalde last month shows a Texas Department of Public Safety trooper was on the scene outside Robb Elementary School just 2 minutes and 28 seconds after the gunman entered, a timeline earlier than previously known.

The department had only disclosed, in timelines and testimony, that the first state trooper entered the school hallway at 11:42 a.m., nine minutes after the gunman entered the school. But DPS had not stated when the trooper first arrived at the school itself. The more specific timeline raises further questions about DPS's own transparency and role in the botched police response, even as the department leads the investigation into what happened. The body camera video was provided to CNN by Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin, who has expressed his frustration with the department's investigation and accused DPS of a "cover-up."     The head of the largest police union in Texas said the new timeline raised serious questions about the department's trustworthiness.     "I don't know that we can trust them to do an internal investigation," Charley Wilkison, the executive director of the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas, which represents some law enforcement officers in Uvalde, told CNN on Tuesday. "It would be best if the investigation were headed up by an outside independent source that the public can have total confidence in.
TLDR - the cops have been lying through their fucking teeth, as is tradition. It's only going to get worse and uglier as we uncover more of their lies. 

They lie. It’s what they do, as easily and naturally as breathing.

• 3 weeks later...
After a billion dollar lawsuit was announced.

What are the claims? Every govt entity involved has immunity. And as much as I wish the law allowed one to sue the cops for refusing to protect us, taking this case to this SCOTUS is a good way to get that turned into something that actually gets chiseled into stone of a brand new “fuck you, peons!” Monument on the national mall.
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What are the claims? Every govt entity involved has immunity. And as much as I wish the law allowed one to sue the cops for refusing to protect us, taking this case to this SCOTUS is a good way to get that turned into something that actually gets chiseled into stone of a brand new “fuck you, peons!” Monument on the national mall.

$27 billion.  Too much of a story to quote

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/08/23/uvalde-shooting-27-billion-lawsuit/

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Does immunity extend to failing to follow your own training?  Just have to prove it, I know immunity is not carte blanche since settlements are meted out fairly frequently. 

Anybody else just baffled by the fact that more of these guys haven't done the honorable thing and eaten a bullet?  That many guys and nobody decided to go out with some valor?  Or have there been some convenient obituaries that stated some of these guys just happened to have had terminal cancer that was diagnosed the day after the shootings?  

I get what you're saying.  But statistically speaking, one of these 400 folks should've eaten a round by now.  Just stats man.  Even as an outlier, somebody should just be sitting alone, drinking whiskey with a service weapon hoping the new school year doesn't bring new scrutiny.  Not the hyperbolic bullshit called for on the rest of this site, but 19 dead kids?  400 law enforcement dudes and not one suicide?  That's impossible. 

If we had 400 grown men, in any line of work---plumbers or drivers or cooks, look at the mutilated bodies of 19 dead kids and said, "Here's two buttons.  Press 1 to help the rest of the kids at your own safety risk or Press 2 to hang back and listen to gunfire."  And then shut off the deal...one of them would still statistically, due to PTSD go outside and shoot themselves.  It's not possible, in any human realm, that one of these guys hasn't offed himself yet.  just wait...

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 9:04 PM, YGIFS said:

Anybody else just baffled by the fact that more of these guys haven't done the honorable thing and eaten a bullet?  That many guys and nobody decided to go out with some valor?  Or have there been some convenient obituaries that stated some of these guys just happened to have had terminal cancer that was diagnosed the day after the shootings?  

Same.  I thought it would had nearly immediately after.  Now, can't fathom it hasn't.  I don't think all 400 are as affected, but those first 50 guys, I figured we'd have seen a half dozen already.  

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Same.  I thought it would had nearly immediately after.  Now, can't fathom it hasn't.  I don't think all 400 are as affected, but those first 50 guys, I figured we'd have seen a half dozen already.  

You assume those wretched pukes have a scintilla of shame or self respect to begin with. Honestly I’m ok with them being tortured by the screams of dying babies for the rest of their lives. FAC. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Yeah, I know it’s a morbid thing to think about but my mind wanders these days.  
but everything we know now about PTSD, either listening to the murders happen or seeing the bodies mutilated beyond literal recognition, or for several dozen officers both.  I would think that’d be enough.  Add to the public shame and embarrassment And vitriol of the community.  

that’s is insane potent cocktail of suicidal tendencies.  Far stronger people have taken their life for far less than that recipe.  I agree they can live long and suffer, I’m just genuinely shocked it hasn’t happened yet.  

The real cause for concern should be this question, “it is 100% certain that several, if not a majority, of these 400 will eventually ‘snap’ one day.  If not themselves, who else are they gonna hurt when that moment happens?”

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

but everything we know now about PTSD, either listening to the murders happen or seeing the bodies mutilated beyond literal recognition, or for several dozen officers both.  I would think that’d be enough.  Add to the public shame and embarrassment And vitriol of the community.  

that’s is insane potent cocktail of suicidal tendencies.  Far stronger people have taken their life for far less than that recipe.  I agree they can live long and suffer, I’m just genuinely shocked it hasn’t happened yet.  

The real cause for concern should be this question, “it is 100% certain that several, if not a majority, of these 400 will eventually ‘snap’ one day.  If not themselves, who else are they gonna hurt when that moment happens?”

Instead of offing themselves, those cops will just take out their rage on innocent citizens and people jay-walking.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

19 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Saw some survivors online yesterday complaining about how the open of dove season threw them off. A ton of pop pop pops going on. Sad. 

In positive news some of the Texans came out to visit. 

A big game locally as they’re also honoring the 50th anniversary of the state championship team. 

Edited by Humble Beast
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

Saw some survivors online yesterday complaining about how the open of dove season threw them off. A ton of pop pop pops going on. Sad. 

Yeah I was thru there 6 weeks ago or so, and it was as you’d expect; banners and signs on every other fence listing pastures for lease and outfitters to call. 

DPS head announces each officer on site, regardless of agency, will be investigated for conduct/lack thereof.  Just 3.5 months later, they may ask some police some questions and handful of folks go on leave with pay.  So this is pretty much all wrapped up.  Well done folks.  I know I feel better. 

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

DPS head announces each officer on site, regardless of agency, will be investigated for conduct/lack thereof.  Just 3.5 months later, they may ask some police some questions and handful of folks go on leave with pay.  So this is pretty much all wrapped up.  Well done folks.  I know I feel better. 

No, it's not all wrapped up.  Stop with that bullshit.

You know well that there are NUMEROUS medals for valor and bravery still to be handed out.

• Rage+1 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
More and more evidence that the DPS were also cowards during the Uvalde shooting. Important to remember that the DPS chief is on the record that he will resign if his troopers contributed to the lack of action.
https://www.texastribune.org/2022/10/21/dps-state-trooper-uvalde-response-fired/

Cowardice is their brand. To the exclusion of everything else.
It’s why they don’t help children in danger.
It’s why the beat and shoot unarmed people.
It’s behind everything they do. The slogan should be “back the yellow.”
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

More and more evidence that the DPS were also cowards during the Uvalde shooting. Important to remember that the DPS chief is on the record that he will resign if his troopers contributed to the lack of action.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/10/21/dps-state-trooper-uvalde-response-fired/

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for his resignation.