Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, American Swindle said:

Also, an armed population of informed citizens is a lot harder to control than an unarmed population. 

jenniferlawrencewow.gif

I guess you haven't seen any Trump rallies, or seen how easy the GOP is to control.  Republicans are bending over like pussy ass bitches for Trump.  And not to mention all of the armed Qtards that are blindly following mumbo-jumbo Q bullshit.

Oh wait, you said informed -  that probably doesn't include Fox News, Texas, Free Republic, reddit, etc does it?

Our country is insane 

There is now talk of a federal investigation into the dive boat fire. The news even said they may look at the possibility there are safety design flaws in the boat. 34 people died. 34 people died and they are talking about redesigning the fucking boat. But thousands are gunned down every year and we’re like, whoa, maybe we need more guns...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

More to the point, where are the data that support the idea that firearm deaths are reduced overall by having a fully-armed citizenry?

They aren't.  The data shows two things -- generally, the higher the number of guns, the higher the number of shootings.  And, Texas is the ultimate "good guy with a gun" state....and it ain't happening.  It tells me that in order to improve the odds of a "good guy with a gun" being around and able to shoot back....we effectively have to REQUIRE that everyone carry a gun.  Which creates a whole new level of risk.

Thoughts and prayers aren't working.  Allowing citizens to carry isn't working.  Data speaks.

jenniferlawrencewow.gif
I guess you haven't seen any Trump rallies, or seen how easy the GOP is to control.  Republicans are bending over like pussy ass bitches for Trump.  And not to mention all of the armed Qtards that are blindly following mumbo-jumbo Q bullshit.
Oh wait, you said informed -  that probably doesn't include Fox News, Texas, Free Republic, reddit, etc does it?

7f2e72057c3a37090c5364ace39aec33.jpg
  • Like 2

So my 11 year old just started middle school and is having school shooting nightmares because it’s a new school and she says she won’t know where to go when (she didn’t say if) there’s a shooting. 

Hard to listen to and reassure her without showing her how scary and heartbreaking it is that this is the reality we’ve created. 

• Like 3

So my 11 year old just started middle school and is having school shooting nightmares because it’s a new school and she says she won’t know where to go when (she didn’t say if) there’s a shooting. 
Hard to listen to and reassure her without showing her how scary and heartbreaking it is that this is the reality we’ve created. 

Why does your daughter hate freedoms and our beautiful second amendment?
  • Like 2

I was going thru that with my 6 yo last year.  I was happy to see the district installed some bad ass locks on the doors and made some safety improvements, but sad again when my now 7 yo pointed them out and told me what they are for.  We are a family that shoots, hunts etc. It had never crossed her mind people use guns to kill other people.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

i am very sorry to read this.  good luck. thats a hard job there my man. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I was about to post that. Finally, some fucking fire. Media needs to stop both siding - ONE PERSON is holding it up and he’s not a democrat. 

The problem with this argument is that it presupposes that 💯 of the population follows politics as closely as you do, when it's probably more like 15-20%.

What the Dem leadership fails to recognize, time and again, is that perception is greater than reality.  

You can do all the behind closed door maneuvering you want, but if the public is unaware of it, it doesn't matter.  They need to be much more vocal publicly, even if they're being methodical with their actual plan... assuming there is a plan, of course.

Need proof?  The GOP just won the NC race last night that had been decided earlier by less than 1,000 votes, with a candidate tying himself closely to a president with less than a 40% approval rating, who'd just invited the Taliban to Camp David a few days before the election.  That should have been low hanging fruit for the Dems yet they fucked it up.  If that doesn't give you pause about 2020, I don't know what will. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The problem with this argument is that it presupposes that 💯 of the population follows politics as closely as you do, when it's probably more like 15-20%.

What the Dem leadership fails to recognize, time and again, is that perception is greater than reality.  

You can do all the behind closed door maneuvering you want, but if the public is unaware of it, it doesn't matter.  They need to be much more vocal publicly, even if they're being methodical with their actual plan... assuming there is a plan, of course.

Need proof?  The GOP just won the NC race last night that had been decided earlier by less than 1,000 votes, with a candidate tying himself closely to a president with less than a 40% approval rating, who'd just invited the Taliban to Camp David a few days before the election.  That should have been low hanging fruit for the Dems yet they fucked it up.  If that doesn't give you pause about 2020, I don't know what will. 

This right here is why people give Pelosi shit.  She hasn’t adapted to our current environment and it’s why she’s losing.  We don’t just need legislation past, we need FIGHTERS and advocates to advance that legislation as well.  Pelosi is right that McConnell is the road block but he’s only blocking the road because there are no consequences to his bullshit.  

Pelosi needs to be livid 24/7 at McConnell, grab a microphone/camera, and put his shit on blast.  She needs to make enough noise to where everyone in the country can hear her.  Over and over again. She needs to act like a leader instead of a bystander.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 2

Good news everyone...looks like we're finally on the path to meaningful gun regulations!

The rise of the National African American Gun Association...300,000 members and growing.

"It's crime in our communities, but it's also a white nationalist," Davis said. "I mean, I do believe they're emboldened … And, yes, I wanna be armed. I'm not goin' down without a fight. So I look at it that way. And so by bein' able to protect ourselves, by training properly and getting our practice in, and learning how to defend ourselves, at least we will be able to fight back if we are attacked -- from white supremacists or white nationalists."

Link

Spoiler

As NRA membership wanes, America's largest black gun group is thriving
Share  Tweet  Reddit  Flipboard  Email

The country's largest and best known gun rights association, the NRA, is losing board members amid a spate of deadly mass shootings. But another, lesser-known gun organization is thriving: the National African American Gun Association, the largest minority gun group in the country.

The group was founded by Phillip Smith, who fondly remembers the first time he fired his 9 mm pistol at a gun range.

"I felt free," Smith said. "I had a chance to kind of have some power in my hands."

Smith formed the first chapter of the National African American Gun Association, or NAAGA, in Atlanta.

"I didn't think I'd get more than 30 people…" Smith said. But in just five years, NAAGA has started 75 chapters with more than 30,000 members, over 90% of whom are black.

"We have folks from every walk of life," Smith said. "Black doctors, gay, straight, Republicans, Democrats. You name it, we have it … We're not monolithic in why we're all here. We have different reasons."

When asked why the members didn't just join the NRA, Smith said that "the NRA is good for some people that are having that perspective. Our perspective is for black folks."

Nezida Davis joined NAAGA to learn how to protect herself. She's not alone: more than 60% of NAAGA members are black women.

"I'm usually looked at like I'm a Martian," Davis said. "I mean, literally, if I come in and I get ready to go into the gun range, people are looking at me like, 'Why is she here? Black women don't shoot.' But we shoot."

After black churchgoers were targeted in Charleston and Mexicans were targeted in El Paso, members say they're prepared to defend themselves.

"It's crime in our communities, but it's also a white nationalist," Davis said. "I mean, I do believe they're emboldened … And, yes, I wanna be armed. I'm not goin' down without a fight. So I look at it that way. And so by bein' able to protect ourselves, by training properly and getting our practice in, and learning how to defend ourselves, at least we will be able to fight back if we are attacked -- from white supremacists or white nationalists."

NAAGA promotes the Second Amendment and social justice. But Smith said he's aware of the dangers of being black and legally armed in America. He pointed to the Philando Castile case in Minnesota, in which Castile, who was licensed to carry a gun, was shot and killed by a police officer during a 2016 traffic stop.

NAAGA immediately condemned the shooting. Smith pointed out that other prominent gun rights groups, like the NRA, did not.

"Them not speaking up says more to us than anything. Are you in agreement with that? I couldn't be silent. Tears came outta my eyes, when I heard this brother got shot," Smith said. "If you're an organization that wants to get black folks to back you up, that's the best way. Speak out, when you see injustice. Don't sit there silently, like you don't know what's happening. 'Cause we're a very intelligent group of folks."

NAAGA is talking about endorsing candidates, which could make them a political force. But the group isn't yet ready, and plans to discuss the issue at their first national conference next year.  

On 9/11/2019 at 7:43 AM, Js1 said:

I was about to post that. Finally, some fucking fire. Media needs to stop both siding - ONE PERSON is holding it up and he’s not a democrat. 

IMO even this response is lacking.   McConnell is happy to take the public heat.  It's not one person; it's one party.  And in particular, it's 53 GOP Senators who chose McConnell to lead them.   He speaks for them when he refuses to bring legislation to the floor.  Dems need to make every GOP Senator own their vote for McConnell the same way the GOP makes Dem House reps own Pelosi, and tie it to everything he blocks. 

• Like 3

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/12/business/dealbook/gun-background-checks-business.html

Business Leaders Call on Congress to Act on Gun Violence

“Doing nothing about America’s gun violence crisis is simply unacceptable,” the heads of 145 companies wrote to senators.

In a direct and urgent call to address gun violence in America, the chief executives of some of the nation’s best-known companies sent a letter to Senate leaders on Thursday, urging an expansion of background checks to all firearms sales and stronger “red flag” laws.

“Doing nothing about America’s gun violence crisis is simply unacceptable and it is time to stand with the American public on gun safety,” the heads of 145 companies, including Levi Strauss, Twitter and Uber, say in the letter, which was shared with The New York Times.

More at link.

Friday the 13th

An armed teen and a second person have been taken into custody after reports of a gunman inside a school in northwest Harris County prompted a lockdown Friday, a source said.

According to authorities, reports came in around 10 a.m. that there were two possible gunmen inside Langham Creek High School in the Cy-Fair Independent School District.

Deputies said the high school was put into lockdown as authorities searched the premise, but the lock down was later lifted when authorities gave the all clear.

A Harris County Sheriff's office source told KPRC 2 reporter Joel Eisenbaum two people were taken into custody in connection with the incident.

The person who was taken into custody is a 17-year-old and he was found in possession of a weapon, according to the source.

Eisenbaum was told the incident started as a threat on social media that said the person was going to come to the school and do harm.

Cy-Fair ISD Police posted a tweet around 10:30 a.m. saying all students were safe. The school was lifting the lockdown and it will resume normal business, according to the tweet.

Deputies said students are being released for the day.

There were no reports of any shots fired and no injuries have been reported.

They got cold feet and we got lucky. Simple as that.

• Like 1

It's simple. If you display a weapon, I -- like most rational individuals -- will see you as a threat. Your display of a weapon is a manner of communicating you're ready, prepared, and able to use lethal force against those around you. The logical conclusion is to therefore deem that you are indeed a violent threat and should be treated as one.

Words I never thought I’d say -

Bravo to these officers!! And bravo to Walmart for actually enforcing the new ban.

And I love that the video this jerk made is being used against him to illustrate what a stubborn asshole he is.

What I love is that this guy is almost certainly also one of those folks who gets a coupla beers in him and rants about “private property rights”....and then promptly goes out and disregards the private property rights of wal-mart (which has every right to ban open carry on its PRIVATE property).
Seriously. Morons like this do more to hurt the issue of “gun rights” than any hurr durr librul. Fucking petulant children, and they’re going to keep this shit up and fucking kill gun ownership in this country. Just fucking stop.

15 hours ago, bolverk said:

It's simple. If you display a weapon, I -- like most rational individuals -- will see you as a threat. Your display of a weapon is a manner of communicating you're ready, prepared, and able to use lethal force against those around you. The logical conclusion is to therefore deem that you are indeed a violent threat and should be treated as one.

That's why you should never trust the police.

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread