Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ultimately, I'd suggest gun proponents seek out people like me who are willing to compromise on the issue.

That is why I always tried to engage you specifically, when you’d ask a question to the board. I’m not a gunsmith, and I’m not in brats realm, but I would be considered a gun proponent...probably. I have views that many “stronger proponents” would not like. 

27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I find it ludicrous that one should be expected to have an encyclopedic knowledge of (currently) legal weaponry in order to have an opinion

I would agree, but like anything else, the more you know, the better you can formulate an opinion.  Do you feel better prepared to argue your points now as opposed to 2-3 years ago? I do, and unfortunately my views are trending some towards yours in this regard. 

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I support your right to own handguns, shotguns, most rifles, w/o many exceptions.  Try not to diminish my perspective or that of others like me because the alternative could be a whole lot worse.

There is exactly one (1) firearm in my safe that I believe you would have an issue with (M1 Carbine) and even then, you might not.   I believe that statement for everything else I own, from reading your other posts.   

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Try not to diminish my perspective or that of others like me because the alternative could be a whole lot worse.

I don’t believe I diminish your viewpoint, but maybe that’s the vibe I have given off and should work on that.   I have much bigger issues with Johnny come lately politicians than I do with folks in your position,  who have been voicing concerns and trying to educate yourself/others on it for years now  

31 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

There are exactly zero material objects that are worth dying over

I agree. But people die all the time not wanting to give up their keys/wallet.  Doesn’t make sense to me, was just spitballing why he might have been thinking. He may have just been on a retaliation mission. I think either way it’s been well established he fucked up, and he and his family are now paying for it. 

The reporter's (Philip Caputo) story from the Kent State shootings is a haunting read. I haven't read his book, Thirteen Seconds, but I remember reading a published excerpt from NPR. Beto was born two years after those shootings. Many Americans have a very fuzzy idea of what that was all about and thus become easy prey to the various twitter interpretations of the event.

The twitter posters who argue that if the students had been carrying guns none of it (the shootings) would have happened have a very odd view of history IMO.

On 9/25/2019 at 9:08 AM, BNB said:

I think the best solution would be to just stop selling ar type weapons to the public and a voluntary buy back.

I don't know how you would ever accomplish a mandatory buy back.

You can't have machine guns, just admit we fucked up allowing these type of weapons .  I get the "opening the floodgates" to take away other weapons, but I don't think you could ever enforce another bill to take away any other type of weapon.

they could do mandatory but not enforced, and after that window a)buyback is over b)some procedure exists for turning in a gun that is "found" or whatever after the fact c)if you wear it out in public or otherwise do something stupid that allows people to know you possess one, fpmita prison.

35 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The reporter's (Philip Caputo) story from the Kent State shootings is a haunting read. I haven't read his book, Thirteen Seconds, but I remember reading a published excerpt from NPR. Beto was born two years after those shootings. Many Americans have a very fuzzy idea of what that was all about and thus become easy prey to the various twitter interpretations of the event.

Recently I saw an interview with Joe Walsh (guitarist for The Eagles, etc.) and was surprised to learn that he was a student at Kent State when the shootings happened, and was there on the scene.  Two of those who died were his friends, and I believe he said another was one of the injured.  That's gotta leave a pretty serious emotional mark on a guy.

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Recently I saw an interview with Joe Walsh (guitarist for The Eagles, etc.) and was surprised to learn that he was a student at Kent State when the shootings happened, and was there on the scene.  Two of those who died were his friends, and I believe he said another was one of the injured.  That's gotta leave a pretty serious emotional mark on a guy.

Can't imagine going through that.  Must have been thinking to himself that this could be heaven or this could be hell.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The twitter posters who argue that if the students had been carrying guns none of it (the shootings) would have happened have a very odd view of history IMO.

Yeah, I'm thinking that there would have been more than 4 dead students if the students had started firing at the National Guard troops.

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Anyone that has "Patriot" or "Liberty" in their twitter  handle is a douche...prove me wrong. 

If you have to use those words to describe yourself, it generally means that you think others won't.  I've also found those folks to be the least interesting people you'll ever meet.

Edited by Loco

Note to self, yelling out to Briscoe Cain, "Hey, there's Chris Hayes!" is met with a scowl from DPS officials.  He's the sheHayes that threatened the life of an active Presidential candidate with a firearm...but I'm the asshole?  Mmmkay.  

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Forgive me for first assuming it was Joe Walsh who was surprised to later discover he actually attended Kent State, was there at the time of the shootings and actually knew some of the victims. I doubt he was “present” for much of the 60’s and 70’s.

Not really active shooter but I don’t know where else to put this...makes me really sad.  

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/09/27/us/texas-deputy-sikh-shot-and-killed/index.html

First Sikh cop in Houston was straight up murdered from behind after a traffic stop.  I’ve run across a lot of Sikhs and they are just about the calmest, nicest and polite people...who can look badass if they’re carrying around the traditional sword on their belt.  

Dude wanted to take the chance to educate people about Sikhism whole serving as a cop, I bet they saw that turban and blasted him...I know a lot of cops are ‘heroes’ like Guyger or other asshole/dumbasses, but I bet the Sikh dude was one of the good ones.  

Edited by Homercles

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

Note to self, yelling out to Briscoe Cain, "Hey, there's Chris Hayes!" is met with a scowl from DPS officials.  He's the sheHayes that threatened the life of an active Presidential candidate with a firearm...but I'm the asshole?  Mmmkay.  

Yelling “hey, there’s Chris Gaines” may lead to fisticuffs.

I noticed something different about the KC bar shooting in that the stories mention the police returning the next morning with a search warrant to continue the investigation.  Is that normal? Or does that occur when the owner of the establishment isn’t voluntarily allowing the police into the building?

in all of the other shootings, I don’t recall reading about the police requiring a search warrant to get into the crime scene.

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

German shooter apparently filmed himself in the act.

Sigh.

Pick up your books of "History of all the Horribly Bad and Stupid Shit Humanity did in the 20th Century" -- we're doing them all again.

Y'all ask why I am a pessimist, out on the ledge and whatnot.  There is a global movement.  Its signatures include:

- hunting and murdering jews

- hunting and murdering muslims

- hunting and murdering mexicans

And American leadership actually committing to stand and act AGAINST those things is.......crickets.  Instead, our governing movement offers tacit support to (and depends upon support from) this sort of shitbag.  We actually de-fund or don't spend funds on defending against this sort of thing.

The 20th century fully committed to its descent into horror the 14th year after the turn of the century.  Looks like we waited until the 16th year after the turn of the next century before the reprise.  Yay, progress!

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh.

Pick up your books of "History of all the Horribly Bad and Stupid Shit Humanity did in the 20th Century" -- we're doing them all again.

Y'all ask why I am a pessimist, out on the ledge and whatnot.  There is a global movement.  Its signatures include:

- hunting and murdering jews

- hunting and murdering muslims

- hunting and murdering mexicans

And American leadership actually committing to stand and act AGAINST those things is.......crickets.  Instead, our governing movement offers tacit support to (and depends upon support from) this sort of shitbag.  We actually de-fund or don't spend funds on defending against this sort of thing.

The 20th century fully committed to its descent into horror the 14th year after the turn of the century.  Looks like we waited until the 16th year after the turn of the next century before the reprise.  Yay, progress!

I think the worst kind of racism is making fun of me cause I am a pudgy graying white dude.  You owe me an apology.  

Just now, Nivek said:

I think the worst kind of racism is making fun of me cause I am a pudgy graying white dude.  You owe me an apology.  

What if I make fun of you for totally race-neutral reasons?  Like, the only way you've ever satisfied a woman is by leaving her alone? Or, you put beans in your chili?  Cuz I can totally go that route.

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread