Longhorn Network

TXs

33 minutes ago, texaslong said:

Absolutely this. I laugh when I hear aggys talk shit about LHN ( a channel that is 100% UT), and then claims SECnetwork (a channel that is maybe 5% aggy coverage, and probably more than 50% Bama coverage) is great for them. 

Funny that you mentioned this, because last week, I believe, aggy was talking about their 12 hours dedicated to them on secn and the games that were gonna be shown.  Winning, whoop!

16 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Funny that you mentioned this, because last week, I believe, aggy was talking about their 12 hours dedicated to them on secn and the games that were gonna be shown.  Winning, whoop!

Didn't they show Big 12 aggy games during those 12 hours, or was that Missouri. 

There are 2 main reasons for the LHN for me: to broadcast non revenue sports and to showcase the University of Texas and it's students.  Because of this I would love to see these changes...

1. Student run broadcast of some live sport events throughout the year.  This includes student announcers.  Yes the games would not be broadcast at as high of quality as normal.  I think it would be awesome to have a couple of students practicing their broadcasting skills live on the LHN.  Maybe have them when basketball plays against some very shitty team.  I'm talking about maybe 10 games spread throughout the men and women sports during the year, football excluded.

2. Spotlight shows on extraordinary students.  There are 50,000 students on campus, many of whom are doing absolutely remarkable things outside of academics or sports.

3. Alumni spotlight shows.  Get people like Michael Dell to sit down and talk about life at UT, how the University had an impact of their lives, life after school, and whatever else they are experts.

4. Show off the City of Austin.  The city has so much to offer and going on at all times.  Show it.  Show why Austin is such an amazing city from the concerts to restaurants to everything else.

5. Remove the coaches shows for football, basketball and baseball.  Replace them with similar shows but using former players.  I'd love to watch Studdard break down the last week's game, Royal Ivey with basketball or Huston Street in baseball.

6.  Add a show centered around the Pom Squad tryouts, stretching with the volleyball team, and softball scissoring lessons. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

My favorite criticism is that they replay a lot of shit or that a lot of the content sucks so you can't watch it all day.  No fucking shit sherlock.  What cable channel do you watch all day?  I have 600 channels or so.  I record the shit I want to watch.  So when the LHN provides me 5-10 things a month I want to watch, that is a good thing for me.

It is..... I agree.... and trust me, I love watching VY score on 4th and 9, but not every night. 

• Fuck You 4

13 hours ago, txhorns said:

Go fuck yourself if you have a problem with the LHN.  I don't live close to Austin so it allows me to watch a ton of sports I normally wouldn't get to see.  I get 30 baseball games a year, 10-15 basketball games, women's basketball, volleyball with tight shorts and great asses, and softball.  I would see none of that without the LHN.  No other school in the country can say that.

Every school in the Big Ten can say that. I don't watch a lot of baseball so I'm not sure about the numbers but it gets good coverage. I saw Alex Wimmers pitch a no-hitter against Michigan. And some of the football games are actually good games. If memory serves, the commitment is for each team to play one non-conference and one conference game on BTN each year so that's 21 games in a season. 

There probably wouldn't be such a thing as Big Ten hockey if not for BTN. Minnesota and Wisconsin used to play in a separate conference from Michigan, MSU, and OSU. PSU only played at the club level. Rutgers is talking about stepping up. Whether Nebraska-Lincoln will eventually screw Nebraska-Omaha and join in is anybody's guess. 

In addition to the big four sports we also get softball, lacrosse, field hockey, soccer, wrestling, volleyball, track & field, and gymnastics (off the top of my head). (Edit: Ooh! Also rowing.) We also get NCAA tournament coverage for non-revenue sports.

All that and I still feel completely satisfied by their coverage of my team. I've wondered what it would be like to have a Buckeye-only sports network and I don't think I'd like it as much. What are they going to show me that I'm not already seeing? BTN even covered the memorial service for Earle Bruce (RIP).

What happens with LHN when the initial contract is up?

Edited by WhatTheBuck

On 7/30/2018 at 11:25 PM, Goo Punch said:

Lowell Galindo is *literally* the worst pxp/cc man in the business. The absolute worst. He's apparently a nice guy but he is a traveshamockery doing in-game broadcasts. He treats games like studio shows, asking long, rambling, inane questions, starting and persisting with trivial conversations and arguments during game play, and insisting on using modern slang and asinine nicknames for all of the players. I can't describe how much I hate him when he's on my TV. This is goddamn Texas; the bar has been set: Ron Franklin, Bill Schoening, Craig Way; these are standard at Texas. Lowell Galindo is a fucking clown, a milquetoast yes man, and a reported jock sniffer who brags about the people he knows irl. He is the absolute worst, and the people who've decided to make him the face of the network need to be exiled to a desert island filled with hundreds of TV's, incessantly blaring Lowell Galindo programs 24/7, no commercials. A punishment that fits the crime. I'd rather watch Ric Renner and Dave South announce a meat judging contest than listen to another second of Lowell Galindo.

I could have just hit the “like” button, but it deserves to be QFT.  I wouldn’t miss one second of the LHN until baseball season rolled around. 

The evidence backs it up in multiple sports at multiple levels. We've been unable to establish winning programs in basketball and football with it through multiple coaches, and in the NFL almost 20 years of Hard Knocks has consistently produced worse results than expectation for almost every team that has done it. 

There are other variables at play but with the overwhelming correlation coming into focus you have to consider it may negatively impact team performance. 

LHN has absolutely nothing to do with this whatsoever.

Edited by Steamboat1874

On 7/31/2018 at 12:11 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Vic Mackey special getting married at each commercial break hasn't exactly helped matters.

On a serious note, why can't they show old UT games 24/7? I'm not talking about the Rose Bowl, OU, Arky, or aggy games... just random stuff like the "75 Tech game or something.  Or '92 TX v Utah bball game? Just random stuff.  I'd watch this before I'd watch 

9/27/1975 vs. *Texas Tech (6-5) W 42 18

Allow Bullneck to help out.  That's as good as it's going to get.  Pictures at 11.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, AnTiM said:

I am still pissed off about the guitar picker who sings in the ad and  does not know the difference between "escape" and "eckscape".  I mute it or change the channel every time it starts.  That's just fkn embarrassing.

You are an idiot.

That is Dale fucking Watson.

Plenty of Texans say it just like that.

• Like 5

It is underutilized and a b12 anchor baby at this point. I’d rather not have it and move to the Sec where we would have no network, but have watchable conference home games that might make me want to go through the hassle of driving over from Houston.  That’s said, I love it for baseball. 

Edited by pepper brooks

Another bad sign for any hope for carriage expansion?  Comcast has always been a holdout, but not adding to streaming is a whole nother thing...maybe. 

Variety: Comcast X1

We had some discussion on the previous board that is seems that there is no longer any effort by the Mouse to get LHN additional carriage.  I'd happily pay to stream it a la carte if it were cheaper than my current option.

I have to admit...I finally cancelled the DirecTV Sports Pack, which killed LHN.  I feel bad as I should have it as a loyal Longhorn, but I never watched it.  The original content seemed to be waning.  I will turn it back on for the 2 football games I can't get...maybe for baseball.

I might have watched it more if I could get alerts on my phone when live sports were coming up.  Otherwise, I'd just enjoy the surprise euphoria when some Olympic sport was on when I passed by LHN on the dial.

I'd also prefer if they'd package things is such a way that I know what's coming.  Old football games on Monday, Educational content/graduations on Tuesday, etc...They may actually do this, but I could never pick up a trend beyond seeing it all many times (which is fine).

I deeply love the idea of the LHN.  In practice though, it's that much a factor in my daily life.  I wish it were.  Hell, I'd watch it all day if it had more content (which is a tall order for any school specific channel).  I always wondered why they didn't simulcast ESPN News a couple hours a day...or SportsCenter...I'd watch those two things more on the LHN than on the home channels. Or let the LHN crew do their own SportsCenter.

P.S. Unrelated/sorta related:  I had a chance to visit BYU TV.  They are completely changing their format to be more like the Hallmark Channel with "uplifting" family content without, so they say, any overt LDS themes.  They will still show sports, but much more original content...dramas and game shows.  And their facilities are unbelievable.  Nicest network facility I've ever visited.  They own a broadcast channel, two radio stations, and the cable channel.  They just ended their deal with PBS on the OTA channel and now simulcast the cable channel onto the OTA channel.  One of the two radio channels is on XM...talk radio.  The other is a classical music channel (or was when I heard it...maybe they do more.) Since a company would be barred from owning this much cross platform media in the same market, it's a unique situation...like all things LDS.

On 7/31/2018 at 9:11 PM, txhorns said:

There are 2 main reasons for the LHN for me: to broadcast non revenue sports and to showcase the University of Texas and it's students.  Because of this I would love to see these changes...

1. Student run broadcast of some live sport events throughout the year.  This includes student announcers.  Yes the games would not be broadcast at as high of quality as normal.  I think it would be awesome to have a couple of students practicing their broadcasting skills live on the LHN.  Maybe have them when basketball plays against some very shitty team.  I'm talking about maybe 10 games spread throughout the men and women sports during the year, football excluded.

2. Spotlight shows on extraordinary students.  There are 50,000 students on campus, many of whom are doing absolutely remarkable things outside of academics or sports.

3. Alumni spotlight shows.  Get people like Michael Dell to sit down and talk about life at UT, how the University had an impact of their lives, life after school, and whatever else they are experts.

4. Show off the City of Austin.  The city has so much to offer and going on at all times.  Show it.  Show why Austin is such an amazing city from the concerts to restaurants to everything else.

5. Remove the coaches shows for football, basketball and baseball.  Replace them with similar shows but using former players.  I'd love to watch Studdard break down the last week's game, Royal Ivey with basketball or Huston Street in baseball.

6.  Add a show centered around the Pom Squad tryouts, stretching with the volleyball team, and softball scissoring lessons. 

If the coaches shows take too much time from focusing of game plan for the team, I would say I'd be cool with all the above (especially #2 & #6)..!

On 9/1/2018 at 7:23 AM, pepper brooks said:

move to the Sec where we would have no network

Ag's and Arkansas would veto it.  They (SEC) also just re-negotiated their contract and added the Texas market with the Ag's (which is why they let them in the first place).  Adding Texas does nothing to help them at this point.  If they ever do expand, they are going for the East Coast market.  

On 9/7/2018 at 11:20 AM, BabaYaga said:

Ag's and Arkansas would veto it.  They (SEC) also just re-negotiated their contract and added the Texas market with the Ag's (which is why they let them in the first place).  Adding Texas does nothing to help them at this point.  If they ever do expand, they are going for the East Coast market.  

Yeah, no.  The SEC and the B1G are involved in a massive arms race, and adding Texas (to either conference) would end that race decisively.  Arkansas and A&M will do whatever the SEC tells them, and the SEC would immediately add Texas if the Horns came calling.  

I honestly can't say enough fuck yous to this horrible fucking vomit fest. Fuck all these fucking fucks who've ever had any fucking thing to do with this disgusting bucket of human shit. Fuck DeLoss, fuck Mack, fuck president whoever the fuck, fuck every regent and their shitty fucking offspring, fuck every little tiny thing about espn, fuck abc, fuck Walt fuckwad Disney, fuck mikky fucking rat faced fuck. The whole goddamn thing is a filthy exercise in disgusting fuckery and fuck anyone who had any inkling it might actually come to fucking fruition and didn't blow the whole fucking thing into the stratosphere.

Oh, and fuck Tom Herman, and fuck every fucking fuckwad who hired him and thought this was the fucking direction we needed to go. Fuckers.

Fuck.

• Like 4