• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crash_davis

• nnm

• Armybrat

• Message Board User

8 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Weaver was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1996.

Yeah, but Haller got the last laugh. Weaver died in 2013 and Haller in 2022.

From Weaver's Wiki:

Weaver never got along well with umpires. Palmer described their relationship: "Earl Weaver hated umpires with every fiber of his win-or-die being. He yelled at them. He screamed in their faces. He kicked dirt on them. He tore up rule books. He taunted and tortured them."[20] Weaver was ejected from games at least 91 times during the regular season (98, according to one source)[21] and several more times during post-season play. He was ejected from both games in a doubleheader three times. He was twice ejected from games before they even started, both times by Ron Luciano.[22] Luciano alone ejected him from all four games of a minor-league series and eight games in the majors.[23] Sometimes, even after Weaver had been thrown out of a game, he would phone the Oriole dugout to tell the coaches what moves to make.[24]

He also received four multiple-game suspensions. He was well known for the humor that often accompanied his ejections. During one particular tirade with an umpire, Weaver headed to the dugout screaming, "I'm going to check the rule-book on that" to which the umpire replied, "Here, use mine." Weaver shot back, "That's no good—I can't read Braille."[25] He once told an umpire that he could appear on What's My Line? wearing his mask, chest protector, holding his ball/strike indicator and still nobody would guess he was an umpire.[21]

Weaver had a penchant for kicking dirt on umpires, and for turning his cap backwards whenever he sparred with umpires in order to get as close to them as possible without actually touching them.[26] His rivalry with Luciano was legendary, to the point where the AL rearranged umpiring schedules for an entire year so that Luciano would not work Orioles games. A year later on August 26, 1979, in the third inning of the opener of an Orioles-White Sox doubleheader at Comiskey Park, he ejected Weaver who then publicly questioned Luciano's "integrity" and received a three-game suspension.[22] Weaver once derisively called Luciano "one of the few umpires that people have paid their way into the park to see."[27]

Marty Springstead was one of Weaver's least favorite umpires. On September 15, 1977, in Toronto, Weaver asked Springstead to have a tarpaulin covering the Toronto Blue Jays bullpen area removed; the tarp was weighted down by bricks and Earl argued his left fielder could be injured if he ran into the bricks while chasing a foul ball. When the umpire refused to order the Blue Jays to move the tarp, Weaver pulled the Orioles off the field. The umpire declared a forfeit, the only forfeit in Orioles history. On another infamous occasion, in Cleveland, Weaver stormed to the dugout and returned to the field with a rulebook in his pocket. "Don't take that book out or you're outta here," Springstead warned. Weaver pulled it out anyway and was ejected.[28][29] After that game, Weaver said of Springstead, "He's a terrific guy...He's just not a very good umpire."[28]

One of Weaver's most infamous tirades came on September 17, 1980, in a game against the Detroit Tigers. First base umpire Bill Haller, who was wearing a microphone for a documentary on the daily life of an MLB umpire, called a balk on Oriole pitcher Mike Flanagan. Weaver charged out of the dugout and began screaming at Haller, who was already angry at Weaver for publicly questioning his integrity by suggesting he be prohibited from working Tigers games in 1972 because his brother was the Tigers' backup catcher at the time.[23] After Weaver was ejected, he launched into a profanity-filled argument in which he accused Haller of blatantly calling the game out of the Orioles' favor. He also accused Haller of poking him in the chest, and after Haller denied doing so they called each other liars.[30] Weaver's contempt for umpires was often mutual. One night in 1973 Weaver threw his cap to the ground and began a vehement argument with Luciano. Luciano's crew-mate Don Denkinger walked over to Weaver's cap, stepped on it with the sharp cleats of both shoes, and slowly twisted back and forth

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 1:49 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't travel enough on planes, but what happened to making the fatties buy 2 tickets?  Was that ever a thing or did it get quashed.  That should definitely be a thing if you can't contain your rolls withing the armrests.

I passed out on a plane from Dallas after a Red River game and woke up with the gigantic women sitting next to me/on me.  She was warm and moist. Never again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

15 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

I thought it was pretty funny.  If you can only afford to play on a course 10 yards from a major retail intersection, prepare for some honking.  And this whole "sanctity of the game" thing that's back on the front burner is total bullshit.  Half these guys are fucking cheating and looking up to other cheaters and it's bullshit.  Either the code of your sport means something or it doesn't.  You don't get to worship cheaters and then bitch to the foursome in front of you for taking an improper drop.  

15 hours ago, nnm said:

Yeah, i think "The Who" concert in Cincinnati in 1979 where 11 people died might be slightly more tragic than Nirvana and some fans getting into some light donnybrooks.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Golf needs to be like real sports and have the players just have to deal with the hecklers.   Fuck this shushing shit.  Sack up you pussies.

Fuck golf, golfers, and anyone who turns on golf at a bar. 

Just fuck you, you pretentious cunts.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Dick move. But maybe be less poor and go play at a better course that doesn’t have tee boxes 10 feet from a public road
Wife and I did this one Sunday whilst driving around Lakeway. We were laughing are asses off; sometimes you gotta rock the boat.

On 5/19/2024 at 11:55 AM, YGIFS said:

I don't know how in the hell he got in pre-internet, but in the 1980's...musta been some VHS tape with hyped up audio.  But my father showed me a similar clip of Earl Weaver going crazy on an umpire.  I didn't even realize the colorfulness of the vulgarity at the time.  I mean, I had seen Jim Frey get kicked out a couple of times in person at Wrigley or on WGN, but Weaver was in a class all of his own.  

And it's funny, this clip reminds of me of the one time I got to tour the dugout at Wrigley.  And I wondered why baseball was the one sport where the manager/coaches wear the same uniform as the players.  I had seen Ditka in a sweater, but too hot for summer.  I had seen Collins in a suit for the Bulls.  And wondered why coaches in baseball wear the uniform.  And I'm looking at short Weaver there with the fake stirrups on his socks.  And I remember going through the dugout and it was just absolutely disgusting.  Dip, chewed gum, spit, sweat, blood, probably some piss.  Nothing you'd want on a suit or a sweater.  

Anyway, Earl was one of a kind.  We post frequently of bygone eras and snowflakes and triggers.  But Earl crossed many epochs and meridians.  He was a throwback to a previous iteration of the game but could see ahead to where it was going.  We won't see any more like him anytime soon.

Added kicker-watch Eddie Murray's facial expression during clips like these.  He wants to restrain Earl.  He wants to bust out laughing.  He wants to join Earl in the tirade.  He wants to resume playing.  He wants to defend his team.  All at the same time.  It's Emmy-level shit  

Great post

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

fake as shit.

Yep. We’ve dissected the shit out of this one (and many, many others) before.

11 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, i think "The Who" concert in Cincinnati in 1979 where 11 people died might be slightly more tragic than Nirvana and some fans getting into some light donnybrooks.  

I’ll raise you GnR at Riverport in St Louis.

8 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Yep. We’ve dissected the shit out of this one (and many, many others) before.

I’ll raise you GnR at Riverport in St Louis.

Altamont laughs at your puny riot.

MER1528635f44e14ac2ac36cfc9dc901altamont

• Like 2

Well yeah, that was a very chaotic show all over photography of "Rocket Queen."  I'm sure many got hurt, but I don't think anybody died, did they?  

Our community radio show "covered the incident" when school started back up that Autumn.  By that I mean, Matt and I had a guy who drove down for the show from Chicago come into the studio to talk about what happened.  I think he was still stoned to the beejesus belt.  

I still remember a couple of shows over the years of various rock bands.  One in Jacksonville, Florida and another at Alpine Valley, WI that got weird and borderline riotous.  We've had massive rock concerts with drunken/high people for 60 years, but I think for a long while the security and logistics were just so lax that all kinda shit could break out.  I mean, Altamonte Springs taught the industry nothing until like 40 years later.  You go to ACL Music Festival or something similar and while it's crowded and people are fucked up, there's a marked presence and they are in constant communication with one another and law enforcement and paramedics.  i still remember a show at southpark meadows in the late 90's/maybe 2000.  And my date was dehydrated and fucked up and passed out.  And the security guy at the "med" tent basically told me, "Man, they don't pay me enough for this bullshit."  And I think he was the only guy working that whole venue.  thankfully, the woman sitting behind us was a nurse and helped revive her and we left.  

Anyway, either way...Guns 'n Roses or shitty show experiences in Austin...it's all Steve Adler's fault.  

8 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Can't be, there isn't any bizarre sexual fetish associated with that video.

Considering the star of the video, I thought bizarre sexual fetish was a foregone conclusion.

15 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I mean, Altamonte Springs taught the industry nothing until like 40 years later.  You go to ACL Music Festival or something similar and while it's crowded and people are fucked up, there's a marked presence and they are in constant communication with one another and law enforcement and paramedics. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/06/us/houston-astroworld-festival/index.html

At least 8 dead and many injured after crowd surge at Travis Scott’s Astroworld Festival in Houston, officials say

• Fuck You 1