Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

26 minutes ago, farmersnotfighting said:

Oh damn. Yeah looks like he wasn't expecting it but definitely should have caught that. I haven't seen the whole game yet. Only got to see the first quarter. I thought you were talking about the opening drive when the DL got a hand on the ball and the ball went straight to the ground by Whitt's feet and the dumbass announcers were like "and Whittington just drops that ball" lmao. I was pissed. Trash ass announcers saying he dropped it and the ball never even got to his hands. But yeah it sounds like everyone had the drops this game. 

No. As @jw4381 said this was the second of two drops in a row, which lead to us being in 3rd and 10. Both balls hit guys in the hands uncontested, but they dropped them anyway. Big time drive killers, as well as pre-snap penalties. People here expect Quinn to "VY" us out of bad yardage situations and he isn't that guy. Especially when you add drops to the mix. A lot of pressure to put on your QB to consistently ask him to throw you out of long yardage situations.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This is good stuff. When we struggle, it’s a little bit of everything. A free rusher. A penalty. A throw that’s a little off. A catchable ball but not caught ball.

Versus Wyoming, there’s a lot of talk about drops, but that’s overplayed in my opinion. The throw to Helm is not a drop. It wasn’t a bad pass either.

Here’s what needs to be remembered about Worthy. He’s never going to be the best hands guy, but we’ve also never had anyone that gets open like he does. He’s not Tyreek Hill, Jerry Rice and Bo Jackson all rolled into 1. Go figure. As best I can tell versus Wyoming play one, that defender impacted things.

The first pass to Worthy was a poor throw. Hard to tell but defender probably got hand on it. It being a drop is a reach.

The first throw to Mitchell is on the QB. Yes, Mitchell could have and maybe should catch it. The defender that people are claiming is a threat should never be a threat on that throw.

The throw to Whittington was a drop mostly due to confusion. He basically stops running . That’s his fault but not sure he gets anything anyway.

Cooks first ever pass? A drop no doubt. I’ve read that was a TD. Yeah, I guess if he can shake two unblocked defenders.

9 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

This is good stuff. When we struggle, it’s a little bit of everything. A free rusher. A penalty. A throw that’s a little off. A catchable ball but not caught ball.

Versus Wyoming, there’s a lot of talk about drops, but that’s overplayed in my opinion. The throw to Helm is not a drop. It wasn’t a bad pass either.

Here’s what needs to be remembered about Worthy. He’s never going to be the best hands guy, but we’ve also never had anyone that gets open like he does. He’s not Tyreek Hill, Jerry Rice and Bo Jackson all rolled into 1. Go figure. As best I can tell versus Wyoming play one, that defender impacted things.

The first pass to Worthy was a poor throw. Hard to tell but defender probably got hand on it. It being a drop is a reach.

The first throw to Mitchell is on the QB. Yes, Mitchell could have and maybe should catch it. The defender that people are claiming is a threat should never be a threat on that throw.

The throw to Whittington was a drop mostly due to confusion. He basically stops running . That’s his fault but not sure he gets anything anyway.

Cooks first ever pass? A drop no doubt. I’ve read that was a TD. Yeah, I guess if he can shake two unblocked defenders.

The first throw to Worthy is off by a foot or so. Def catchable. Why does he drop it? Because he tries to basket-catch it instead of using his hands. I know you are paying attention, but those that aren't we almost never win any of these. AD is the only one. The throw in the EZ vs Bama to Worthy slides through everyone and we drop it. The throw vs Rice to Sanders in the EZ Whitt knocks it out of his hands when both receivers end up in the same area. Other school's receivers seem to never drop balls at least when we are playing them. Our guys drop a few every game. When we are focused we look like we do vs Bama. When we are not we look like we did on Sat. We have chances to make great catches every week and continuously drop them, and have been for the last few years.

My issue is when a ball is just a little off but the receiver drops it we blame the QB. They call it a catch radius for a reason. You should be able to catch any ball that hits you in both hands if there is no immediate contact. We routinely drop a large percentage of "Not Perfect" balls.

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Why do people respond to comment and mention a single play? A play that Quinn made an excellent read on, he could of just handed it off. I am guessing you didnt notice that. 

I can mention numerous plays. Brooks ran for 160 on 20 carries. Worthy had a huge punt return. I don't know what the YAC/through the air breakdown was but I'd be shocked if we got more than 40% through the air. 

I just rewatched every play. The Worthy TD was not a read it was a designed screen. Ewers instantly looks off the handoff - there's no PA - and Brooks sets his feet to block.

I counted 4 drops - all in the first half - all behind the 1st down marker. There were probably 7 or so plays where Quinn threw a bad pass or threw it to a guy that was covered. 

It wasn't an egregiously bad game from Quinn but saying he isn't getting much help is ridiculous. He's getting help all over the field and guys are making his job really easy. Yes we can drop fewer passes but as a college QB you are never going to get a perfect game from your teammates. He needs to more consistently elevate the offense with his play instead of just running it in 2nd gear most of the game. 

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I can mention numerous plays. Brooks ran for 160 on 20 carries. Worthy had a huge punt return. I don't know what the YAC/through the air breakdown was but I'd be shocked if we got more than 40% through the air. 

I just rewatched every play. The Worthy TD was not a read it was a designed screen. Ewers instantly looks off the handoff - there's no PA - and Brooks sets his feet to block.

I counted 4 drops - all in the first half - all behind the 1st down marker. There were probably 7 or so plays where Quinn threw a bad pass or threw it to a guy that was covered. 

It wasn't an egregiously bad game from Quinn but saying he isn't getting much help is ridiculous. He's getting help all over the field and guys are making his job really easy. Yes we can drop fewer passes but as a college QB you are never going to get a perfect game from your teammates. He needs to more consistently elevate the offense with his play instead of just running it in 2nd gear most of the game. 

You understand that 4 dropped passes in 20 attempts is dropping 20% of all attempts correct? You know that is egregious right. That isn't helping your quarterback enough......not near enough. People get cut from NFL teams for that shit.

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

You understand that 4 dropped passes in 20 attempts is dropping 20% of all attempts correct? You know that is egregious right. That isn't helping your quarterback enough......not near enough. People get cut from NFL teams for that shit.

4/20 dropped passes from multiple receivers is not good. And it’s not the same guy dropping passes, it’s different players. So if different guys are dropping passes from the same QB, the QB seems to be the common thread here.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

You have 8 guys blocking. AD Mitchell is even blocking, that is kind of a give away that he doesn’t know X is getting the ball. Campbell is 5 yards downfield looking confused. 8 guys are blocking. Worthy is the only receiver on the play. It’s either a very simplistic RPO or a check that Sark put in for this game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MrBig said:

4/20 dropped passes from multiple receivers is not good. And it’s not the same guy dropping passes, it’s different players. So if different guys are dropping passes from the same QB, the QB seems to be the common thread here.

So it's the QB's fault the receivers are dropping passes. QE throws a catchable ball bro, that ain't it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

You have 8 guys blocking. AD Mitchell is even blocking, that is kind of a give away that he doesn’t know X is getting the ball. Campbell is 5 yards downfield looking confused. 8 guys are blocking. Worthy is the only receiver on the play. It’s either a very simplistic RPO or a check that Sark put in for this game. 

Sark said in his PC that was a matchup they were waiting on but I didn't notice if it was a check or not.

5 hours ago, Hard Times said:

Even ignoring the poor reads, throws, protection, other, there's a stat done by someone that says Texas is 6th worst in the country in dropped passes. We hired a new WR coach and former NFL player who not only is supposed to know how to catch a football, but is probably in the top 6 of highest paid WR coaches in the country. Why in the hell can't he teach our WR's how to catch a football???  I learned how to catch a football playing flag football when I was 9 years old playing flag football and have caught passes much more difficult than our WR's are dropping. And now way could I ever even be a walk on at Texas. WTF is up with this Chris Jackson???

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Even ignoring the poor reads, throws, protection, other, there's a stat done by someone that says Texas is 6th worst in the country in dropped passes. We hired a new WR coach and former NFL player who not only is supposed to know how to catch a football, but is probably in the top 6 of highest paid WR coaches in the country. Why in the hell can't he teach our WR's how to catch a football???  I learned how to catch a football playing flag football when I was 9 years old playing flag football and have caught passes much more difficult than our WR's are dropping. And now way could I ever even be a walk on at Texas. WTF is up with this Chris Jackson???

My take that Bama receivers outplayed ours was not popular, as was my opinion that 2018 Texas receivers (Collin Johnson, Lil Jordan, Duvernay and the tight end Beck) over current group.

Receivers do more than make big plays. They need to catch the ball, block, get open, make themselves a target, and make difficult catches. Our guys arent doing that consistently.

At the same time, Ewers has also been inconsistent. But being surrounded by consistency would help.
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

Bro X and Whit were dropping passes before QE got here. It's just we were so trash that it didn't matter on the wins and losses.

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

My take that Bama receivers outplayed ours was not popular, as was my opinion that 2018 Texas receivers (Collin Johnson, Lil Jordan, Duvernay and the tight end Beck) over current group.

Receivers do more than make big plays. They need to catch the ball, block, get open, make themselves a target, and make difficult catches. Our guys arent doing that consistently.

At the same time, Ewers has also been inconsistent. But being surrounded by consistency would help.

Your Bama receiver take is still not popular for good reasons. 

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

4:55 here

I'm 95% sure it's a pre-snap RPO that Wyoming wasn't ready for that Worthy broke 40 yards for a TD. Im giving the credit there to Worthy, Sark and Quinn in that order. Every QB on the roster should be able to make that read and throw that ball.

3 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

And QE would get benched in the NFL for throwing some of the passes he is. Some of the drops are killing drives or leaving points on the board, some of the passes we are throwing are killing drives or leaving points on the board. 

We need the guy that showed up against Bama every week or at least most of the time. Not once every three games. It would also be nice if our receivers made some difficult catches - but outside of that they are playing at an extremely high level with and without the ball in their hands. Go back and watch some of the blocks that were thrown against Wyoming. 

The first throw to Worthy is off by a foot or so. Def catchable. Why does he drop it? Because he tries to basket-catch it instead of using his hands. I know you are paying attention, but those that aren't we almost never win any of these. AD is the only one. The throw in the EZ vs Bama to Worthy slides through everyone and we drop it. The throw vs Rice to Sanders in the EZ Whitt knocks it out of his hands when both receivers end up in the same area. Other school's receivers seem to never drop balls at least when we are playing them. Our guys drop a few every game. When we are focused we look like we do vs Bama. When we are not we look like we did on Sat. We have chances to make great catches every week and continuously drop them, and have been for the last few years.
 My issue is when a ball is just a little off but the receiver drops it we blame the QB. They call it a catch radius for a reason. You should be able to catch any ball that hits you in both hands if there is no immediate contact. We routinely drop a large percentage of "Not Perfect" balls.

Yes, we’re terrible at 50/50 balls. Probably since 2018 although I think Eagles brought in a few. We make those about 3/97 balls.

As to the Worthy throw versus Wyoming, I think the DB raked his arms. Pretty decent coverage made better by the behind the WR throw.

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Go back and watch some of the blocks that were thrown against Wyoming. 

Great, awesome, they stepped up their blocking game where AD has been miserable and last year X was lazy at. A WR that doesn't catch the ball is worthless. You might as well play Casey Cain and bring back Marcus Washington if you want blocking receivers. I never said Quinn was great, he wasn't. I would say the WRs and QE were equally bad along with the offensive game plan.

Reading this thread, we are addressing so much the receivers dropping passes, or Ewers not hitting open receivers, and so many other corporeal, tangible issues.

Perhaps it is something else.

When VY was playing, and game was on the line, we knew ... we knew that his freakish athletic ability would kick in and pull out the game. But, it was more than that. Itwas something intangible... that quality, for lack of a better word, he had "its."

With Colt, when the game was on the line, it was his incredible accuracy, this coolness under fire. When we had to rely on a last minute drive, the vast majority of times ... Colt delivered.  Was he ever a great athlete? NO. But, there was just something intangible about him... he had "It."

With Ewers? A million dollar arm. But, some of the decisions he has made in his life, both big and small, makes us wonder. Makes us question. When Ewers comes into the game, and the game is on the line ... do we get that VY  feeling? Do we get that Colt feeling? Do we really sit back and with great confidence think, "he's got this. We are about to see greatness?"

I can't tell you how much I hope I am wrong on this.. and I am typing this after about 4, 1792 whiskey neats, but I just have never seen that "intangible quality" with Ewers. Yes, last year's Ou game was magical. Same at Bama.

So Ewers ... show us all that I am filled with pablum and smegma from my second ex-wife's vagina.

Show us.

I always was amazed at some of the catches made by Tech receivers under Mike Leach. The results made it seem that the QBs were doing incredibly well... even with overthrown underthrown long short balls, those fuckers went after the ball and got it. Was it the tennis ball juggs guns or what? I dunno, but it'd be swell if our guys would show some of that.

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

kinda wild how many excuses people are making for 5*, perfect-rated, unanimous #1, 'generational' qb recruit, playing with a top 10 class.  the kind of shit that should be saved for a shane buechele type recruit.

Shane Buechele would be dropping dimes to players in this offense, hitting them in stride on the deep ball. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Your Bama receiver take is still not popular for good reasons. 

Bama receivers made several tough catches (while getting popped) and torched our secondary a couple of times. Had Milroe had time to pass, we’d been in trouble. Meanwhile, we dropped multiple passes. And now are bottom 10 on the year in drops apparently.

Conversely, the 2022 Bama game, their receivers were terrible and should have cost them the game.

I’ll hear your reasons now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Codaxx said:

It is usually more about concentration, than anything else. Lot of drops are guys thinking about the next move, instead of concentrating on the catch. Its like asking how can a hall of Fame WR like Terrell Owens make amazing highlight catches all the time and still be known for dropping the occasional easy pass. The big knock on Quinten Johnson comign out of college was his 11.8% drop rate and he still went in the 1st round. Some guys just dont have great hands. 

1. The coach is supposed to teach them how to concentrate.

2. The coach is supposed to teach them proper hand positioning.

3. The coach is supposed to ingrain the thought, "it doesn't do you any good to make a move if you don't first catch the ball".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

So the receivers were overhyped in the off-season?  Huh. 

possibly the most insightful post in this whole thread.

16 hours ago, Wishbone said:

I’d rather our guys drop a few than their guys catch a few. Quinn may have some inconsistency issues but he doesn’t throw picks.

Goddammit!....now you have done it!

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Bama receivers made several tough catches (while getting popped) and torched our secondary a couple of times. Had Milroe had time to pass, we’d been in trouble. Meanwhile, we dropped multiple passes. And now are bottom 10 on the year in drops apparently.

Conversely, the 2022 Bama game, their receivers were terrible and should have cost them the game.

Again, you ignore the times Millroe had some time but had to hold onto the ball because his receivers couldn’t get open. 

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

The reasons are the same as they were when you first made the claim. There was really only one throw where a bama receiver made a catch while getting popped, and that was the two point conversion. Milroes first read was hardly ever there so that says something about their inability to get open. And you’re right, the offensive line never really gave him a clean pocket most of the night, but he still scrambled and his receivers could not get open down field. how many times has Texas lost to a quarterback, scrambling out of the pocket and hitting receivers wide-open down field, especially with less talented receivers than Alabama? You are so hung up on what Texas receivers didn’t do while ignoring what the Texas defense did do. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This thread is such a beating but at least we've moved past the bitching about the long ball. Can't wait to see what the complaints are after Baylor.

There was some poor woman in the stands who was getting molested by a Baylor student. Quinn saw it happening, threw the ball into the stands at the dude to make him stop, but he hit the woman in the head and knocked her out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2023 at 10:39 AM, Sir Ulrich said:

Quinn is currently sitting at 204 passes in a row without a pick dating back to the TCU game. That's 6 games without a INT and a 63% completion percentage. The completion percentage should be higher but that's 50% his fault and 50% drops. He's had 3+ TDs in every game and just won at Alabama. Let's pump the brakes (again) on the Murphy talk. 

People are acting like Quinn is a 5th year senior instead of a 20-year playing his 2nd full season in college football. Granted there are things that he needs to clean up, but he's still a young player learning as he gets more game reps.

• Hook 'Em 7

19 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Next play, 3rd and 7 terrible read and throw off his back foot to Sanders that should have been picked off. Worthy appeared wide open but I'm pretty sure the safety was just playing center field. Regardless, that would have put Worthy 1v1 against a safety, that is the throw to attempt. Quinn 1 for 6.

I thought Worthy was wide open too when I saw it live, but there were 2 Wyoming defenders playing zone where Worthy was running. The middle safety broke on the ball to Sanders and would have broken on the ball to Worthy just the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This thread is such a beating but at least we've moved past the bitching about the long ball. Can't wait to see what the complaints are after Baylor.

I have a bitch for the rest of the year. If Quinn Ewers continues to be so damn inconsistent he is going to ruin our plans for next year. He will not go to the NFL and then we will for sure lose Maalik in December. If Quinn wins out versus Arch due to experience, I do not see it getting any better next year. Ewers has failed to improve his mechanics and he has had two off-seasons to do it. We have seen QBs like Burrow, Young, Jones and others get into a grove by the number of games Ewers has played. This stupid excuse that Gerry keeps using that he is a inexperienced QB does not cut it anymore. Come on Steve are you not the QB whisperer or does he no longer have the time. If that is the case then Milwee has failed to do the job of fixing Ewers. Steve may need to hire the next QB whisperer in a man named Colt.

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

People are acting like Quinn is a 5th year senior instead of a 20-year playing his 2nd full season in college football. Granted there are things that he needs to clean up, but he's still a young player learning as he gets more game reps.

It's not fair, but that's the price of being an ultra-hyped prospect. Quinn wasn't just a 5 star. He was sold as a king of kings with the whole perfect rating thing. The fact that VY is the other player we've had with that type of rating and patience among this battered fanbase was always gonna be thin. 

Edited by LateAughtsHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I have a bitch for the rest of the year. If Quinn Ewers continues to be so damn inconsistent he is going to ruin our plans for next year. He will not go to the NFL and then we will for sure lose Maalik in December. If Quinn wins out versus Arch due to experience, I do not see it getting any better next year. Ewers has failed to improve his mechanics and he has had two off-seasons to do it. We have seen QBs like Burrow, Young, Jones and others get into a grove by the number of games Ewers has played. This stupid excuse that Gerry keeps using that he is a inexperienced QB does not cut it anymore. Come on Steve are you not the QB whisperer or does he no longer have the time. If that is the case then Milwee has failed to do the job of fixing Ewers. Steve may need to hire the next QB whisperer in a man named Colt.

Joe Burrow was a 5th year Senior by the time he 'got in a grove'.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

It's not fair, but that's the price of being an ultra-hyped prospect. Quinn wasn't just a 5 star. He was sold as a king among kings with the whole perfect rating thing. The fact that VY is the other player we've had with that type of rating and patience among this battered fanbase was always gonna be thin. 

The “perfect rating” is not even relative to all of the other QBs who have ever come out of HS. It is only relative to how they were perceived compared to all of the other prospects in their respective recruiting class. 

People take data and make it mean whatever suits their narrative though. News at 6. 

14 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Comparing a fifth year guy to a second year guy seems pretty disingenuous to me. 

Quinn is a third year guy who is in his second year starting. And yes, going to OSU still counts as a year of college football even if he didn’t do shit there. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tex Long said:

I always was amazed at some of the catches made by Tech receivers under Mike Leach. The results made it seem that the QBs were doing incredibly well... even with overthrown underthrown long short balls, those fuckers went after the ball and got it. Was it the tennis ball juggs guns or what? I dunno, but it'd be swell if our guys would show some of that.

When Jarett Dillard was breaking NCAA TD records with freakshow catches at Rice he credited his hands to tons of tennis ball and juggling work in the offseason. I assume they all do that though?

23 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Comparing a fifth year guy to a second year guy seems pretty disingenuous to me. 

Quinn is a 3rd year guy. And has had 2 full offseasons with his current team like Burrow had had. 

Not that anyone here is expecting him to be 2019 Joe Burrow. 

Edited by ztejas

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet