Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

I reckon CFP not needed. Win out, CCG, NY6 win... Gone.

If his dad or he wanted to maximize his early NFL earnings he'd 100% come back because of how loaded the QB position is this year. He's like 1 or 2 QB taken next years draft assuming he has a complete healthy season. That would put him in the top 5-15 guaranteed considering how teams draft. 

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

No offense to Major or Simms, they’re not even close to Vince and Colt, two of the best collegiate QB’s of all time.

Folks were really hard on Chris Simms when he was on campus but if he had Vince or Colt's offensive line from either of our national championship runs, he'd be right there with them.

Now go on and neg me.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If his dad or he wanted to maximize his early NFL earnings he'd 100% come back because of how loaded the QB position is this year. He's like 1 or 2 QB taken next years draft assuming he has a complete healthy season. That would put him in the top 5-15 guaranteed considering how teams draft. 

And he'll have another year with Banks protecting him plus the rest of a hopefully improved and healthy O line.  I have to think with NIL that more QBs are going to stick around for at least 3 years.

7 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Collegiately speaking, yes. But Simms would have had a better NFL career than Colt, IMO, had he not had his spleen ripped out during a game. I think he had what it took to be a very good NFL QB. He was really starting to come on when that happened. That 2005 game against the Redskins was something else. Chris was beginning to ball out.

Chris Simms was the #1 player in the country coming out of high school. He was very similar to Arch Manning in a lot of ways given his family pedigree and skills. 

If Mack had done with Simms what we are doing with Arch, everything would have been so much better.  Imagine the following:

• 1998 - Major Applewhite starts while Ricky wins Heisman
  • 1999 - Major Applewhite starts and earns Big 12 Offensive PoY.  Chris Simms redshirts
  • 2000 - Major Applewhite starts.  Simms gets mop up duty instead of splitting 1/3 the stats. Same 9-3 record but both QBs keep confidence. 
  • 2001 - Major Applewhite starts. We still barely lose to OU, but this time we beat Colorado and play Miami for the title. Simms gets a lot of run since we had nine blowouts. Major Applewhite graduates with two Big-12 titles and a National Title appearance.
  • 2002 - Chris Simms starts as a RS-JR - Maybe a more confident Simms improves on our 11-2 record, we beat Tech and play for another title?
  • 2003 - Chris Simms starts as a RS-SR - There is no Vince Young vs. Chance Mock debate.  Instead Vince backs up Simms and gets plenty of mop-up time. At this point Simms was a great QB. No way we lose to Arkansas. Instead of 10-3, we go 11-2 or 12-1 and likely win another BCS bowl.  
  • 2004 - Vince Young starts

Those teams were absolutely loaded and the QB mismanagement cost us at least one trip to the MNC game, maybe two.

Edited by HookEm
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

43 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

Folks were really hard on Chris Simms when he was on campus but if he had Vince or Colt's offensive line from either of our national championship runs, he'd be right there with them.

Now go on and neg me.

I’m not a Simms hater, but if he’d had the OL from Colt’s national championship run, he’d have ruptured his spleen before he made it to the NFL. 

With the 05 line, you have a point.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, formermav43 said:

I’m not a Simms hater, but if he’d had the OL from Colt’s national championship run, he’d have ruptured his spleen before he made it to the NFL. 

With the 05 line, you have a point.

Lol I was also scratching my head about the comment of the 09 OL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Chris Simms was the #1 player in the country coming out of high school. He was very similar to Arch Manning in a lot of ways given his family pedigree and skills. 

If Mack had done with Simms what we are doing with Arch, everything would have been so much better.  Imagine the following:

• 1998 - Major Applewhite starts while Ricky wins Heisman
  • 1999 - Major Applewhite starts and earns Big 12 Offensive PoY.  Chris Simms redshirts
  • 2000 - Major Applewhite starts.  Simms gets mop up duty instead of splitting 1/3 the stats. Same 9-3 record but both QBs keep confidence. 
  • 2001 - Major Applewhite starts. We still barely lose to OU, but this time we beat Colorado and play Miami for the title. Simms gets a lot of run since we had nine blowouts. Major Applewhite graduates with two Big-12 titles and a National Title appearance.
  • 2002 - Chris Simms starts as a RS-JR - Maybe a more confident Simms improves on our 11-2 record, we beat Tech and play for another title?
  • 2003 - Chris Simms starts as a RS-SR - There is no Vince Young vs. Chance Mock debate.  Instead Vince backs up Simms and gets plenty of mop-up time. At this point Simms was a great QB. No way we lose to Arkansas. Instead of 10-3, we go 11-2 or 12-1 and likely win another BCS bowl.  
  • 2004 - Vince Young starts

Those teams were absolutely loaded and the QB mismanagement cost us at least one trip to the MNC game, maybe two.

Somehow everyone always forgets about Applewhite’s major knee injuries.

• Hook 'Em 1

Quinn has made big improvements this year, but it hasn't made sense for me from a development standpoint that it was apparently set in stone that he was going to the NFL after this season (and I've posted as much in this thread) no matter what.  Would love to have him back next year and should he return, I think he'll show exactly why he was such a big time QB prospect/recruit.  Lets fucking go!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

I posted in the aggy thread that Penix and Nix are two of the oldest QBs in CFB.  

5 year QBs are rare (thanks COVID), but the moral of the story is still the longer you're in college and the more games you start, the better you are by the end of your career.  Nix and Penix in year 5, Carson Beck in year 4 and JJ McCarthy in year 3 (a full 3 years of playing, unlike Ewers' showing up late to Fall camp at Ohio State and redshirting). 

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lol I was also scratching my head about the comment of the 09 OL. 

It was a long time ago but I don't remember them being that terrible. They gave up one notable injury to Colt against Bama, but that was also due to one of the stupidest play calls of Mack's career. 

Honest question, was the 09 OL worse than the OL that gave up the Roy Williams Superman safety?

11 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

It was a long time ago but I don't remember them being that terrible. They gave up one notable injury to Colt against Bama, but that was also due to one of the stupidest play calls of Mack's career. 

Honest question, was the 09 OL worse than the OL that gave up the Roy Williams Superman safety?

Yeah. There were draft picks back in the old days. 

2 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

Dear God, yes. It was our worst oline in Mack's tenure. Actually, it may have been out worst oline since as well. It was really bad. That superman safety oline had at least 2 future NFLers in Mike Williams and Derrick Dockery. Jonathan Scott was also on the team, but I don't believe he played as a freshman. 

Fact: no OL from the 2009 roster were drafted--none, not even the freshmen who rode the bench. I don't even remember any signing as UDFA, but I don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, so. That roster of OL in 2009 was so bad that the next OL to sniff the NFL was Trey Hopkins, who was a freshman in 2010 and caught on with the Bengals as UDFA in 2014.

If that 2009 team had even one NFL-caliber OL...Jesus Christ that season could have been up there with 2005. Instead, it was 5 dudes leaning on other dudes before shouting "Olé!" and ushering pass rushers in Colt's direction.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Collegiately speaking, yes. But Simms would have had a better NFL career than Colt, IMO, had he not had his spleen ripped out during a game. I think he had what it took to be a very good NFL QB. He was really starting to come on when that happened. That 2005 game against the Redskins was something else. Chris was beginning to ball out.

I was only considering collegiate production. In Vince, then Colt, we had two of the best back-to-back starting quarterbacks in the history of college football. One should've won the Heisman and the other was in the top three in back-to-back seasons. Yes, I know we had a couple of years while Colt matured into the juggernaut he was in 2008 and 2009 but let's be honest, if he hadn't gotten hurt his freshman year, the Longhorns would've won the Big 12 title and gone into the bowl season with just the one loss to Ohio State.

OU went from Baker Mayfield to Kyler Murray to Jalen Hurts, then Spencer Rattler before Caleb Williams, which is pretty remarkable. I'm sure there are other examples but I'm having a hard time coming up with them.

2 hours ago, LonghornBreeder said:

Now go on and neg me.

He was also hamstrung by Mack and GDGD's pussy tendencies. It took Vince to break that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Idk what to believe. I really didn't think QE would be back until these reports started coming out this week. But now the Ewers fam mouthpiece is throwing water on them. Probably will come down to NIL I guess

Just now, kevwun said:

And how the rest of the season goes.

If you were a talented QB this year it would make sense to look at staying. Williams, Penix, Nix, Sanders, and some other guys we aren't thinking about. This is a strong QB class and you are the only one who was injured. Now, if he balls out the rest of the way plus some very visible bowl game? He is just looking for a 1st rd grade. As he should. He is better than a couple of those guys but the NFL likes shiny objects so.

40 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

The cliff we fell off of as soon as Colt and Shipley left should illustrate the state of the oline during that time period. Weren't we starting a youth minister at tackle or something? 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I was only considering collegiate production. In Vince, then Colt, we had two of the best back-to-back starting quarterbacks in the history of college football. One should've won the Heisman and the other was in the top three in back-to-back seasons. Yes, I know we had a couple of years while Colt matured into the juggernaut he was in 2008 and 2009 but let's be honest, if he hadn't gotten hurt his freshman year, the Longhorns would've won the Big 12 title and gone into the bowl season with just the one loss to Ohio State.

OU went from Baker Mayfield to Kyler Murray to Jalen Hurts, then Spencer Rattler before Caleb Williams, which is pretty remarkable. I'm sure there are other examples but I'm having a hard time coming up with them.

Carson Palmer to Matt Leinart wasn't a bad stretch for USC.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, LonghornBreeder said:

Now go on and neg me.

Watch film. Chris Simms, really nice guy, stared down receivers like a bad h. s. QB. Simple fix but he couldn’t/wouldn’t do it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Dumbest question in the world: Could Ewers potentially be beat out by Manning next year?

Every fiber in my being says no, of course not. But would be interesting if he did

No. Next question.  Zero chance outside of injury.

4 minutes ago, Bobby Layne said:

Watch film. Chris Simms, really nice guy, stared down receivers like a bad h. s. QB. Simple fix but he couldn’t/wouldn’t do it. 

Chris is a cool guy, I met him at a couple parties back in the day and he was always willing to chat with the regular folk like myself.  

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Quinn comes back, makes another jump in production, is a guaranteed first round pick if he stays healthy with possibly Brooks at his side, Cook, Evan Stewart (thanks Jimbo) and a 3 year returning line essentially (swap out Jones for Big Cam).  

You think Brooks will come back?