Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, I titled it jacking off to my Sark fantasy because Close to Jumping told me too when the morons were controlling the fall 22 thread saying we were going 5-7 again and 7-5 was our absolute apex and darkness going to get fired in 3 or 4 years. That was how that thread got titled what it did. 

Your thread was the voice of reason amongst a bunch of dumbass posts by people who are emotional idiots aka the football board. Good job.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thatguy in post 7987 gave a good example of why Ewers is better than he appears. Of course it was ignored.  

As to the hyperbolic, exaggerated statements that “everyone” is calling Ewers a Longhorn Legend, guaranteed NFL success, etc, that is a mischaracterization of most posters viewpoints and is a disingenuous attempt to start more fights and whine.  

In my read of this thread and of people’s views of Ewers in general, most people agree he hasn’t looked like one of the top rated QB’s in ratings history. He is not a guaranteed success in the NFL, but scouts do see enough in the arm and decision making to draft him pretty high. 

He has made a lot of good throws, and he definitely is running plays that require a lot from the QB. The patterns, the distance of throws, the progression of reads, etc. He is a major reason why this offense scores. 

He is also only a sophomore (reclassified). If you look at other sophomore college QB’s they will be inconsistent too. Most ncaa leaders are juniors or older.

Also, in this offense the running game is key, so he will never put up crazy stats. It’s a bit like Troy Aikman, whose stats were pedestrian. Under the logic being applied in this thread, Aikman sucked. He couldn’t run, had weak stats, etc. 

Overall, given his rating coming into Texas he’s underachieved so far, but not by a large amount. He’s just developing. It’s also why he’s probably coming back, when originally he was going to go. 

I’m thankful we have Ewers. I’d take him over most other sophomore QB’s out there. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 9
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

As to the hyperbolic, exaggerated statements that “everyone” is calling Ewers a Longhorn Legend, guaranteed NFL success, etc, that is a mischaracterization of most posters viewpoints and is a disingenuous attempt to start more fights and whine.  

Par for the course on that guy. I just scroll right past that drivel.

26 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Thatguy in post 7987 gave a good example of why Ewers is better than he appears. Of course it was ignored.  

In my read of this thread and of people’s views of Ewers in general, most people agree he hasn’t looked like one of the top rated QB’s in ratings history. He is not a guaranteed success in the NFL, but scouts do see enough in the arm and decision making to draft him pretty high. 

He has made a lot of good throws, and he definitely is running plays that require a lot from the QB. The patterns, the distance of throws, the progression of reads, etc. He is a major reason why this offense scores. 

He is also only a sophomore (reclassified). If you look at other sophomore college QB’s they will be inconsistent too. Most ncaa leaders are juniors or older.

Also, in this offense the running game is key, so he will never put up crazy stats. It’s a bit like Troy Aikman, whose stats were pedestrian. Under the logic being applied in this thread, Aikman sucked. He couldn’t run, had weak stats, etc. 

Overall, given his rating coming into Texas he’s underachieved so far, but not by a large amount. He’s just developing. It’s also why he’s probably coming back, when originally he was going to go. 

I’m thankful we have Ewers. I’d take him over most other sophomore QB’s out there. 

Most sophomore QB’s?  Name 3 you’d take over him. 
not being argumentative, genuinely curious. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

I think if Ewers were to be playing for an air raid team, his poor mechanics and inconsistencies reading the defense wouldn’t matter. Instead Sark runs a deeper playbook that utilizes more than simple reads and Ewers is having to actually learn how to be a complete quarterback. I’m not sure if Ewers will ever live up to his rating coming out of high school and that is fine imo. At least we are seeing him continually getting better even tho it may not be as fast as some would like. If he comes back next year, there’s no reason to think that he can’t turn the flashes we see this year into regulars in ‘24. 

Absolutely. I’d just add that he was starting from a pretty significant deficit relative to most RS FR when he arrived given his path, and it showed and still does to a lesser extent. But the process will benefit him in the long run. Beyond wanting a veteran QB next as a Texas fan, I think it’s very obvious another year in college working with Sark would benefit not just his draft stock but his full pro career greatly.
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Most sophomore QB’s?  Name 3 you’d take over him. 
not being argumentative, genuinely curious. 

That’s one of the amusing things about throwing out Nix and Penix, for instance, and arguing how inferior Ewers is to them. Go look at their numbers in their 3rd year in college (they both played as true freshmen, so have a leg up on Ewers in experience; Penix was injury plagued, but look at the completion percentage and ypa, for instance). Ewers is far ahead of where they were at that point, even with them getting an extra year of playing time. Of course guys in their 5th/6th year are better; Bo Nix was just this far above sucks for his first 3 seasons.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, immamac said:

This thread is so off the fucking rails it doesn’t even make sense. We are a defensive collapse and a game Quinn played significantly injured through away from Quinn being a top 3 heisman candidate and you morons are in here arguing about running backs in different conferences. 
I’m glad Texas is back in the national conversation and all, but seriously can we focus this fucking thread on Quinn and what he’s done and what he needs to do better? 

You must be new here

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, immamac said:

This thread is so off the fucking rails it doesn’t even make sense. We are a defensive collapse and a game Quinn played significantly injured through away from Quinn being a top 3 heisman candidate and you morons are in here arguing about running backs in different conferences. 
I’m glad Texas is back in the national conversation and all, but seriously can we focus this fucking thread on Quinn and what he’s done and what he needs to do better? 

He needs to get better in red zone and throwing deep balls.  He has been really good this year. I am glad he is likely returning.

22 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

He needs to get better in red zone and throwing deep balls.  He has been really good this year. I am glad he is likely returning.

I hope he fucking goes to the NFL just like I hope J Brooks still gets taken in the 2nd or 3rd. I’ll gladly have them both back, but if we want to see if Sark is really building an every year is a potential run year we need to see what it’s like to have the next men up go with it. He’s proven he can develop over an entire 4 year run, now show us you can reload on 1 year cycles. 

Quinn will have given us what we all wanted. A run at the CFP, getting back in the legitimate conversation for national contenders and hopefully a big XII championship. It’s a storybook ending to his time at Texas and one that would do well with Maalik or Arch coming after and leading the charge to continue where he left off. 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Derka’d

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

I hope he fucking goes to the NFL just like I hope J Brooks still gets taken in the 2nd or 3rd. I’ll gladly have them both back, but if we want to see if Sark is really building an every year is a potential run year we need to see what it’s like to have the next men up go with it. He’s proven he can develop over an entire 4 year run, now show us you can reload on 1 year cycles. 

Quinn will have given us what we all wanted. A run at the CFP, getting back in the legitimate conversation for national contenders and hopefully a big XII championship. It’s a storybook ending to his time at Texas and one that would do well with Maalik or Arch coming after and leading the charge to continue where he left off. 

Quinn could go off and definitely be gone.. I dont think Brooks has a chance.. 

latest RB mock I saw has him as the 9th RB on the board. Going right after Donovan Edwards. 

https://www.drafttek.com/2024-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-RBs-2024-NFL-Draft.asp

15 minutes ago, immamac said:

I hope both are back and kick ass next year at Texas.

I have zero desire to see Maalik Murphy play QB unless it's for one of our opponents.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Absolutely. I’d just add that he was starting from a pretty significant deficit relative to most RS FR when he arrived given his path, and it showed and still does to a lesser extent. But the process will benefit him in the long run. Beyond wanting a veteran QB next as a Texas fan, I think it’s very obvious another year in college working with Sark would benefit not just his draft stock but his full pro career greatly.

I feel like Penix/Nix and some of the covid guys are proving a valuable point about staying at the college level and developing. So many players are trying to take shortcuts to the league these days. 

I get that everyone is in a different situation, and there are financial concerns; but from a pure product quality standpoint, I miss the days when only the true elite guys left early. 

I personally hope like hell Quinn comes back, as it would be best for his long term career.  I would love to see him adding a little weight (muscle) to his frame.  He needed to lose weight for quickness and endurance last off season, and I think another season at UT would help his long term prospects.  That being said, the kids got a great arm and would be a great backup in the NFL.  But if he wants a fast track to actually being a starter?  Another year in burnt orange is a no brainer to me.  NIL helps a lot in all likelihood, in allowing some flexibility on this decision.  

I think add 10 pounds of muscle, stay healthy, and play to his potential, and I don't see how he's not on the Heisman short list?  What experience brings is consistency, and while Quinn has gone through 3 spring trainings (1 at OSU) and is finishing off his second year as a starter consistency is pretty much the only criticism.  I do think that NIL brings out more boobirds, which were already there to begin with.  But in both the Alabama and Tech game we saw what the top end of Ewers potential is.  And lucky for us it's really fucking high.  I must admit, I had hoped for more consistent consistency.  I also realize injury has hobbled him. But I am also concerned he may have played dinged and gotten himself into worse trouble?  That's what I thought at the time.  But I can't crap on a kid wanting to finish out a game, it's what all competitors want to do. 

My dream is that Quinn is healthy, plays another lights out game this weekend crushing Okie State, and we actually get a shot at playing two more games (prayers, fingers crossed, deals with the devil entertained). The only way that happens is if Quinn puts on a show!!!  I know he can do it, and if we can keep our defense fresh I think we can get some style points in the Championship game (prayers, fingers crossed, deals with the devil entertained).  If my prayers are answered it will be Ewers largely writing the sermon.

You have to think last week's game has given Ewers additional confidence, and likely made the whole team even more confident.  IMHO Ewers having a fantastic game is probably the most important style point, we can have beyond a lopsided score to get into the big dance.  Everything seems to be coming together at the right time as far as opportunity.  Now it's just time to go out there and fucking take it!

Hook'em

The only downside to my dream scenario is we likely lose Quinn. But that is a price I am willing to pay. ((prayers, fingers crossed, deals with the devil entertained)

Edited by horn4life

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

More likley you see Arch than Maalik next year... 

I'd love to see Arch get a lot of PT next year as the backup when we are beating the shit out of teams.

I wish Murphy well.  But he looked awful despite 1.5 years in the system.  He looked afraid of contact. And he is constantly hurt so you cannot count on him.

1 minute ago, Frank Drebin said:

I'd love to see Arch get a lot of PT next year as the backup when we are beating the shit out of teams.

I wish Murphy well.  But he looked awful despite 1.5 years in the system.  He looked afraid of contact. And he is constantly hurt so you cannot count on him.

I want to see Arch start next year.. I want Quinn to go in the 1st round.. The only way that happens is if Quinn goes off vs OSU and in the playoffs. 

• Like 2

I'm going to pretend i'm chatGTP and short circuit all of this. The DEFINITIVE statement on QE:

Quinn Ewers is an American football player for the University of Texas. He is 20 years old and a redshirt sophomore. He played the QB position as a freshmen leading the Longhorns to an 8-5 record, though he was injured for several games. He was heralded as the top QB recruit coming out of high school and even though he played well early in the season against Alabama and against Oklahoma, Ewers faced scrutiny for his play as a freshman, especially after coming back from an injury. As a sophomore he has led the Longhorns to an 11-1 record, though he was also injured in his sophomore year, technically achieving a 9-1 record, causing many to question his durability as a quarterback. Ewers is praised for making the throws others cannot but is criticized for mental lapses allowing teams to comeback and make games closer than they should be. It's unclear if those mental lapses are his fault, poor execution by some of the offensive line and/or others around him, or conservative play calling from the head coach when Texas has the lead. But his critics are adamant he does not have the footwork, pocket presence, or the ability to go through his progressions to be one of the best QB in college football at this time. These concerns have led to some wishing the back up quarterback, Arch Manning would be given an opportunity to play. Though a minority of opinions, this group is loud and insistent Manning be given an opportunity. Many acknowledge Ewers has improved in two years and that he's an excellent QB for Texas as just a sophomore. It is unknown if Ewers will return for his junior year, but the current expectation is that he will. Most believe Texas will be a top 5 or top 10 team entering next season. Only time will tell how good Ewers becomes.

Edited by troph
  • Haha 3

Just now, tbone_ said:

What does ChatGPT say about Manning portaling if Ewers comes back?

Currently there are many rumors regarding Arch Manning transferring from Texas. Many are clickbait articles quoting no one and listing also ran programs that need a quarterback and elite programs he's already said no to. These articles fail to address statements from the Manning jedi council consisting of grandpa, dad and two uncles. Manning says his "word is his bond" and is as "strong as oak" - undoubtedly a reference to the movie Jerry Maguire, so there's no chance he will transfer, none at all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I want Ewers, Arch, Owens to be our depth chart next year.  And I guess Charles Wright if he's still around.

As much as I want to keep as talent for next year, nothing is better for the program than guys leaving early and being high draft picks. 

Just now, formermav43 said:

Just working through that logically, it seems clear that guys staying and then being high draft picks is better for the program.

Being drafted is the biggest key, but havigng 5 stars leaving early regularly to be high draft picks is what gets recruits going. It is what Bama and Georgia get to talk about, that Texas can not.. Like I said if Quinn goes in the 1st round this year, it most likely means Texas won the Big 12 and played very well in the playoffs (likely 2 games).. Sign me up for that scenario

1 hour ago, immamac said:

if you want one year cycles then my view is Manning needs to be back up next year with meaningful playing time in the 4th quarter when we undoubtedly have the game in hand. that requires two things, one QE comes back, and two Texas puts games away. If Manning can throw the ball and manage real drives with no pressure next year then I think he would be ready for prime time his RS sophomore season. That gives himself 2-3 seasons to play and earn his contract. That gives another QB time to come in, RS and then get meaningful snaps (i.e. manage a few real drives) in garbage/no pressure time. Then the cycle can be 1 year reload. I'm afraid if Manning starts next year we will see a drop off, and I don't want that. So I hope QE comes back.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Being drafted is the biggest key, but havigng 5 stars leaving early regularly to be high draft picks is what gets recruits going. It is what Bama and Georgia get to talk about, that Texas can not.. Like I said if Quinn goes in the 1st round this year, it most likely means Texas won the Big 12 and played very well in the playoffs (likely 2 games).. Sign me up for that scenario

I will take this too. I think QE coming back and still leaving early as a junior gives us what you say and it's better for the program. but heck if he goes pro after a championship game appearance, so be it.

1 minute ago, utexas8 said:

That’s crazy. At the beginning of the year everyone was saying he would be TE 2 taken. What happened, his injury?

I think as we get closer to the draft, people are looking more in-depth at how Sanders looks when he does not have the ball. Like any player their draft stock can move wildly between now and the draft. 

I am torn. I have thought all year that Quinn isn't ready for the NFL. He still does things that make you say "not ready". I also think his experience will help a young WR corp next year. That being said, I really want to see what Arch can do when he is QB1. Love that he can run, I think that is a CRUCIAL quality to have for a college QB. When Quinn ran this year, he was even more dangerous. After his injury he hasn't run as much and you can tell. We are in a no lose situation really.

12 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

That’s crazy. At the beginning of the year everyone was saying he would be TE 2 taken. What happened, his injury?

He has some issues catching in traffic consistently, his blocking is not great, and Quinn doesn't seem to target him as often as he probably should. That's partly on sanders for not being physical enough and partly on Quinn for targeting worthy so damn much. I think mitchell's stats have been hampered by quinn focusing on worthy as much as he does also. 

I might be crazy but has everybody checked the 32 starting qb's in the nfl this week? Geno smith....josh dobbs....tommy devito....aidan oconnel.....tim boyle....I mean come the fuck on. Quinn won't be better than some of those fucking guys after he's spent an entire summer preparing with his nfl coaches/players? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dignan said:

I am torn. I have thought all year that Quinn isn't ready for the NFL. He still does things that make you say "not ready". I also think his experience will help a young WR corp next year. That being said, I really want to see what Arch can do when he is QB1. Love that he can run, I think that is a CRUCIAL quality to have for a college QB. When Quinn ran this year, he was even more dangerous. After his injury he hasn't run as much and you can tell. We are in a no lose situation really.

Yep.   About 100 other teams would love to have our QB issue(s).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

I feel like Penix/Nix and some of the covid guys are proving a valuable point about staying at the college level and developing. So many players are trying to take shortcuts to the league these days. 

I get that everyone is in a different situation, and there are financial concerns; but from a pure product quality standpoint, I miss the days when only the true elite guys left early. 

The thing is Penix/Nix staying in college 6 years helped them develop as COLLEGE quartebacks. In the Pac 12. There's nothing to guarantee the extra 2-3 years adjusting to the speed of the college game will help them in the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 1

At least we are back to talking about football and not pie. We are improving.
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

it’s hilarious that you believe your own bullshit like this. i have never once said or even hinted that “everyone” is saying  these things, in fact i’ve repeatedly referred to it as “one guy” calling him a longhorn legend. so swing and a miss there, followed by an even bigger swing and a miss with the idea that *I*, the one person in this thread who keeps being personally attacked and insulted over his football takes without ever responding in kind, is in here trying to start fights. you people and your self righteous bullshit never cease to amaze me. 10.0, even from the russian judge, on those mental gymnastics.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

it’s hilarious that you believe your own bullshit like this. i have never once said or even hinted that “everyone” is saying  these things, in fact i’ve repeatedly referred to it as “one guy” calling him a longhorn legend. so swing and a miss there, followed by an even bigger swing and a miss with the idea that *I*, the one person in this thread who keeps being personally attacked and insulted over his football takes without ever responding in kind, is in here trying to start fights. you people and your self righteous bullshit never cease to amaze me. 10.0, even from the russian judge, on those mental gymnastics.

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The next person to call me out in this thread, by actually quoting something specific, I said, and not making up some complete bullshit that i never said will be the first. i don’t know how many times we’re going to play this game in this thread, where you guys lose your minds over (insert your own wildly hyperbolic interpretation of what i said, or something that’s just flat out fiction) followed by me asking you to cite specific examples of you’re going to accuse me of these things, but so far you guys are batting 0.000 on that front. 

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I just don't think he has the upside that Arch does.  He has an arm but Arch is considerably more athletic.

He has some issues catching in traffic consistently, his blocking is not great, and Quinn doesn't seem to target him as often as he probably should. That's partly on sanders for not being physical enough and partly on Quinn for targeting worthy so damn much. I think mitchell's stats have been hampered by quinn focusing on worthy as much as he does also. 

Adonai is who “worthy” really is. AD is good. Catches Almost anything. Worthy is fast and can make moves but has he ever made an amazing catch? He drops more than he catches. I’m still glad he’s on my team but Adonai seems more consistent.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

it’s hilarious that you believe your own bullshit like this. i have never once said or even hinted that “everyone” is saying  these things, in fact i’ve repeatedly referred to it as “one guy” calling him a longhorn legend.

A direct quote.  Do you speak English?

and yet this thread is full of people talking about the heisman and calling him a Longhorn legend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

A direct quote.  Do you speak English?

^^^ THAT = me saying  “everyone”? in what world dude? i mean @Dbeasy even put “everyone” in quotes, as if it was a direct quote from me. and this is what you come up with as proof that i’ve said that “everyone” in here has called him a legend, predicted the heisman, and foretold of his nfl success? motherfucker do you speak english?

i’ll give it to you jj, your want-to when it comes to starting shit is off the charts. it’s your execution that so often leaves a lot to be desired.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

^^^ THAT = me saying  “everyone”? in what world dude? i mean @Dbeasy even put “everyone” in quotes, as if it was a direct quote from me. that’s what you come up with as proof that i’ve said that “everyone” in here has called him a legend, predicted the heisman, and foretold of his nfl success? motherfucker do you speak english?

i’ll give it to you jj, your want-to when it comes to starting shit is off the charts. it’s your execution that so often leaves a lot to be desired.

You literally just said you were referring to "one guy".  Is THAT your definition of referring to "one guy"?  It's your fucking quote!  "this thread is full of people talking about the heisman and calling him a Longhorn legend".

Your desire to start shit exceeds mine by an order of magnitude.  I wish the best for you, but man, you make it really hard sometimes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Currently there are many rumors regarding Arch Manning transferring from Texas. Many are clickbait articles quoting no one and listing also ran programs that need a quarterback and elite programs he's already said no to. These articles fail to address statements from the Manning jedi council consisting of grandpa, dad and two uncles. Manning says his "word is his bond" and is as "strong as oak" - undoubtedly a reference to the movie Jerry Maguire, so there's no chance he will transfer, none at all.

So he’s long gone if ewers stays. Got it.

33 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

The next person to call me out in this thread, by actually quoting something specific, I said, and not making up some complete bullshit that i never said will be the first. i don’t know how many times we’re going to play this game in this thread, where you guys lose your minds over (insert your own wildly hyperbolic interpretation of what  i said, or something that’s just flat out fiction) followed by me asking you to cite specific examples of you’re going to accuse me of these things, but so far you guys are batting 0.000 on that front. 

This thread is still about Ewers? 

• Haha 3
  • Prepare your anus 1