Dallas Cowboys 2022 Regular Season Thread: Fuck Jerry Jones

Vic Mackey

I think it was Spagnola who penned a column recently that basically advised stop trying to figure this Cowboys team out and just enjoy the ride for the fun parts.  Good advice, I think.

That's been my approach to all my favorite teams for quite some time, as I'm in my mid-50's.  Teen years into the 40's it was a pretty different story with my alcohol-infused fanaticism.  

I do think the best recipe for the Cowboys the rest of the way is to get behind a bit.  14-17 point leads has been a disaster.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I think it was Spagnola who penned a column recently that basically advised stop trying to figure this Cowboys team out and just enjoy the ride for the fun parts.  Good advice, I think.

That's been my approach to all my favorite teams for quite some time, as I'm in my mid-50's.  Teen years into the 40's it was a pretty different story with my alcohol-infused fanaticism.  

I do think the best recipe for the Cowboys the rest of the way is to get behind a bit.  14-17 point leads has been a disaster.

Suggested yesterday that Dak only runs when we are behind - that he needs to begin doing it when we are ahead to maintain those leads. He and Wonder Boy need to put their heads together and figure it out.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Suggested yesterday that Dak only runs when we are behind - that he needs to begin doing it when we are ahead to maintain those leads. He and Wonder Boy need to put their heads together and figure it out.

3-6 runs a game with only 2-3 being called runs. It really puts the defense in a bind.

• Like 1

The Eagles rolled out backups at QB, RT, Safety, nose tackle, they turn it over 4 times and we still barely beat them. Not a great game IMO and not confidence inspiring for a run in the playoffs. We look like a one-and-done.

Yea. And daks dumb turnovers continue to be a concern. Probably beat the Bucs. Then hopefully we get to play the 49ers and they can’t muster enough offense with Purdy and we sneak by. That gets us to the nfc championship game vs eagles where I’ve got us at a 25% chance to win.

If it plays out like that, I consider it a pretty successful season.
  • Hook 'Em 2

The defensive backfield has been so wrecked by injuries that any slim chance they had at a playoff run is pretty much shot.

Bland has been playing really well. We’re down brown and Lewis, but with bland stepping up and looking like he can hang it doesn’t seem so bad. Would be cool if we used some 3 sawfetu looks since we seem to be stronger at safety than corner. We can run a 3-3-3-2 lol

He needs to do it to keep him in an attacking mindset. When he is aggressive it’s good, when he is passive it’s bad.

4 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Yea. And daks dumb turnovers continue to be a concern. Probably beat the Bucs. Then hopefully we get to play the 49ers and they can’t muster enough offense with Purdy and we sneak by. That gets us to the nfc championship game vs eagles where I’ve got us at a 25% chance to win.

If it plays out like that, I consider it a pretty successful season.

Good logic, but I'm thinking 40-45% against the Fecals

• Like 1

I have followed the Cowboys since 64. That was back when men my dads age preferred college football though he became a big Cowboys fan with Roger.

I lost interest in the period following the Catch and didn’t reengage until Jerry bought the team. Some folks my mom works with at Mid Continent Oil with Cullen Davis later did a lot of biz with Jerry and loved that he bought the team. Bought my season tix in 89 as soon as they went on sale. I knew Jimmy Johnson would fix the team and win.

So my fandom was almost an obsession from 91 til Troy left. I was bad to be around after a loss and even an ugly win. I now am an ardent fan but I’m not having a tantrum with losses.
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, DougO said:

If Dallas plays the Bucs in the first round they better get off to a 35 point lead. I'm sick of Tampa looing like dog shit all day then scoring twice in the last 3 minutes to pull one out.

Brady puts also a Vulcan mind meld on the whole team in the last minutes of the 4th. I have never seen teams do more dumb shit to lose games than against Brady in the 4th. Just incredible. It’s not just that Brady’s time clock kicks in and he starts completing passes over ten yards. Even if the other team gets the ball back with a chance to end it they just fall apart. It’s not the same Brady this year. I get that. Statistically bad. They don’t look like a threat at all. And yet…

Yeah, the Cowboys have been better than a lot of the teams they've lost to in the playoffs since 1996.  I don't see them losing to Tamps, but there is no way they win a 2nd round playoff game.  They will get out coached and out executed.  They will lose the turnover and penalty battles.  Jerry will retreat to his yacht to count all of his money and the whole thing will begin anew again next year. 

10 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Brady puts also a Vulcan mind meld on the whole team in the last minutes of the 4th. I have never seen teams do more dumb shit to lose games than against Brady in the 4th. Just incredible. It’s not just that Brady’s time clock kicks in and he starts completing passes over ten yards. Even if the other team gets the ball back with a chance to end it they just fall apart. It’s not the same Brady this year. I get that. Statistically bad. They don’t look like a threat at all. And yet…

I bet his passer rating in the 4th quarter is still pretty Brady-esque.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yeah, the Cowboys have been better than a lot of the teams they've lost to in the playoffs since 1996.  I don't see them losing to Tamps, but there is no way they win a 2nd round playoff game.  They will get out coached and out executed.  They will lose the turnover and penalty battles.  Jerry will retreat to his yacht to count all of his money and the whole thing will begin anew again next year. 

No question. One playoff win would at least be some progress, if they could make that happen. Maybe they get really lucky and the top seeds stumble and get more favorable matchups...so they can blow it to lesser teams.

No question. One playoff win would at least be some progress, if they could make that happen. Maybe they get really lucky and the top seeds stumble and get more favorable matchups...so they can blow it to lesser teams.

One playoff win isn't real progress. It would be the Cowboys version of progress. Which is just the never ending cycle of mediocrity. This will be the first time since 2006 and 2007 we have made the playoffs in back to back years. That alone shows we never have any chance of progress.

I believe we can win on the road against whichever shit team comes out the South but after that, no clue. There's a clear dividing line of who are the top teams in the NFC. Philly, Dallas, Minnesota,SF. A big dropoff after those 4. Can we beat any of those teams on the road? I wouldn't have much faith. And it's a big possibility we blow the wild card game, especially if it's Brady, which it's looking like it will be.

Dallas has won 2 or 3 first round playoff games over the last 20 years. Didnt change perception. Hell the Cowboys could probably make it to the Super Bowl and lose and people will just make fun of them more not less. 

Seeing as 97% of teams never win shit at the end of the season I've learned to enjoy the journey like beating the Eagles on Christmas Eve.

Edited by Loch Ness Monster

47 minutes ago, DougO said:

OK, but last year Dallas played on the road against a team everyone here thought they should beat and they didn't. So I would say winning one would be progress. Then you try to win another.

Last year, Dallas played at home against a team that many on here believed to be the worst possible matchup in the first round of the playoffs, played horrifically, and still had a chance to tie the game up late.  

• Like 1

OK, but last year Dallas played on the road against a team everyone here thought they should beat and they didn't. So I would say winning one would be progress. Then you try to win another.

Dallas got beat at home last year by the 49ers.

5 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Brady is 7-0 against the Cowboys. Know everyone will have their doubts going into the game but ending Bradys career would be big. Even if Dallas doesn't advance far.

I actually would be glad if it ends up being Tampa just so they would have the opportunity to break that streak. Bust it or be damned. You gotta beat the other teams if you want to keep going. Can't avoid all of them, so better learn to beat them. If they lose, so be it. Nobody's going to be shocked.

4 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Dont the Panthers just have to beat Tampa next week? Theyve been pretty hot under Wilks

Making Rhule look like a total piece of shit as an NFL coach. Ditch Rhule and one of the best players in the league and suddenly they aren't a total dumpsterfire. LOL

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/26/2022 at 10:21 AM, fellside said:

Lane Johnson out the rest of the regular season. Division hopes not dead yet.

Not one to root for injuries normally, but Philly has gotten way too many breaks this year with their schedule and lack of injury luck. They were long over due for some adversity.

• Hook 'Em 1

one game at a time.  Cows should beat Tenn.  Saints facing elimination against the Eagles so they'll play their balls off.  
If that happens, then Giants playing for their playoff hopes in final game against eagles.  it ain't over yet
Those 2 losses against GB and Jax are fucking gut wrenching. Without those 2 disasters, we are in the 1 seed. Hell even just winning one, we still have a good shot.