Hudson Card

Neonmoon

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

Not gonna burn Arch redshirt

Murphy backs up Ewers, Arch plays it smart and takes a whole year to improve and be ready

What the fuck? This isn’t 1993. 5 star QBs that win 10+ games per year don’t stay in college 5 years. If he is as advertised, he’ll go pro in 3 years whether it’s after he’s a Junior or RS-Soph. It’s not just QBs…redshirting Earl Thomas was awesome wasn’t it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

We win by atleast two scores with Ewers starting instead of Card.  Play calling is limited, he can’t hit receivers in stride deep ever, he holds the ball forever, he can’t move the chains consistently, the offense just doesn’t gel with him, so that causes the defense to be on the field all day so the other team scores more point with Card playing and finally the team doesn’t believe in him so the momentum and feel to the team is different.  

And yet he got Texas a 14 point cushion in Lubbock that the defense couldn't hold.

I'd cut him some slack.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

Blaming Hudson Card for this loss is lazy.

Very. Complete lack of imagination in the second half by the play caller was horrendous. Running inside against loaded boxes, rojo cat, not figuring out a way to utilize cards best asset (speed) to keep the defense on their heels…just setup everyone for failure.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

And yet he got Texas a 14 point cushion in Lubbock that the defense couldn't hold.

I'd cut him some slack.

Jesus. The defense sucks, but in the second half, they need some points or at least some first downs. Everyone doesn’t realize how bad repetitive 3 and outs are on defense 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Jesus. The defense sucks, but in the second half, they need some points or at least some first downs. Everyone doesn’t realize how bad repetitive 3 and outs are on defense 

I hope that 'everyone' includes the head coach who did  a shitty job of play calling when his defense(and team) needed some help.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Lol. Card is exactly the reason our defense was on the field for a lot of time. You have to have drives to give the D breaks 

57 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The D was on the field for (literally) 100 plays because they couldn’t stop 4th down. That kept them on the field for 30-35 extra snaps. 

Now do the 3 and outs cause Card the Tard can’t throw more than 5 yards or read past his first option 

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Brothahorn said:

I hope that 'everyone' includes the head coach who did  a shitty job of play calling when his defense(and team) needed some help.

Yes, the head coach sucks. He sucks because he kept calling a game like Ewers in the game. He didn’t call to Card strengths. Sark is a dumb HC and OC

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Lol. Card is exactly the reason our defense was on the field for a lot of time. You have to have drives to give the D breaks 

Was Card playing safety on that opening 17 play drive by tech?   Oh wait we scored too quickly 

19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And just bitter.   Sark apologists.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, utexas8 said:

This is probably the best Card has played which is saying a lot lol. I only say that because receivers caught more balls than normal it seemed.

This is on the 1. Coaches 2. Defense 3. Offense.

Texas could have won with a better QB but it shouldn't have even mattered. 

Terrible OL play, terrible defensive scheme, and terrible offensive play calling in the 2nd half. If Texas gets average in one of those areas it's a win. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hozz said:

31-17, biggest comeback for Tech in the series.  That's not on Card.  He could be a lot better but he didn't lose that game for us.

We aren’t a good enough team for the slim margin of error that we have with Card at QB. He can win games if the rest of the team doesn’t screw up too many things though.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Nope said:

We aren’t a good enough team for the slim margin of error that we have with Card at QB. He can win games if the rest of the team doesn’t screw up too many things though.

That's about as well as it can be said.  No, he didn't lose the game, but he contributed, or the limitations he imposes on the offense contributed.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's about as well as it can be said.  No, he didn't lose the game, but he contributed, or the limitations he imposes on the offense contributed.

Yea nobody is saying he’s fucking John elway out there but certainly not the only reason we lost and maybe not even the main reason.   

13 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Actually its kind of stupid.  He made one bad play on the INT.  He missed an open guy in the end zone.  Guess what, Bijan fumbled in OT.

Card is better than most (if not all) of the QBs we have had except for Major/Chris/Vince/Colt going back to Robert Brewer in the early 80s and he's playing on a gimpy ankle.

Sure, Ewers is better.  But Card is plenty good enough.  Our receivers and RBs are good enough.  Our O line, play calling and defense are not.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, David Dennison said:

It really is.  He played pretty well overall.  301 all-purpose yards, 2 TDs, 1 pick.  If anyone is expecting more from him, they're nuts.

The point is that we stopped doing the stuff that was working.  Card was picking them apart on quick hitters over the middle.  That was helping to open space for the RB's.  We took a 31-17 lead.  We looked like we were gonna get a nice 21-point road win.

Then we stopped doing everything that was working.  It reminded me of Tom Herman trying to be the smartest guy in the room and get on SportsCenter with some creative shit when A-B-C football was winning the god damned game.

Sark and our abortion of a secondary lost that game.  Card played a B+ game, at least.  I was proud of his effort and he deserved a W.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

It really is.  He played pretty well overall.  301 all-purpose yards, 2 TDs, 1 pick.  If anyone is expecting more from him, they're nuts.

The point is that we stopped doing the stuff that was working.  Card was picking them apart on quick hitters over the middle.  That was helping to open space for the RB's.  We took a 31-17 lead.  We looked like we were gonna get a nice 21-point road win.

Then we stopped doing everything that was working.  It reminded me of Tom Herman trying to be the smartest guy in the room and get on SportsCenter with some creative shit when A-B-C football was winning the god damned game.

Sark and our abortion of a secondary lost that game.  Card played a B+ game, at least.  I was proud of his effort and he deserved a W.

Worthy went out and the underneath stuff quit working. shocking

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

One receiver going out should not make our offense just fucking crumble. I mean my goodness, we were actually forced to play the guy who, the last time we saw him, was running open downfield against Georgia in the National Championship game. How are we supposed to complete with Texas Tech with that?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I’ll blame Card because on multiple plays he continues to throw to guys with double or triple coverage while a wide open receiver is ignored or a receiver is wide open and he hesitates so long that said wide open receiver is already out of bounds by the time the ball gets there.  I really like Card and think he is a good kid but he is awful. This was a total team loss but when we are up 2 TDs we know we need to at minimum process the ball on extended drives to shorten the game for our defense but instead the offense totally shuts down.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

18 minutes ago, bullet said:

Actually its kind of stupid.  He made one bad play on the INT.  He missed an open guy in the end zone.  Guess what, Bijan fumbled in OT.

Card is better than most (if not all) of the QBs we have had except for Major/Chris/Vince/Colt going back to Robert Brewer in the early 80s and he's playing on a gimpy ankle.

Sure, Ewers is better.  But Card is plenty good enough.  Our receivers and RBs are good enough.  Our O line, play calling and defense are not.

This.  I can’t wait for Ewers to get in as it opens up the playbook for Sark. But I don’t get Card being the whipping boy for this game.  He was ok, not spectacular but he was ok.  Also his numbers would’ve looked a lot better if worthy could catch the ball

and we threw like zero screens.  Sark did not give him a lot of easy yards.  

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 2

Tech was living around the LOS and muddying up much of the 5-15 yard area.

Card definitely doesn't trust his arm enough to throw into tight windows, he has to see it clearly before pulling the trigger.

We also weren't getting consistent protection to challenge deep, and Tech's slow DBs were keeping stride with everyone downfield not named Worthy.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

One receiver going out should not make our offense just fucking crumble. I mean my goodness, we were actually forced to play the guy who, the last time we saw him, was running open downfield against Georgia in the National Championship game. How are we supposed to complete with Texas Tech with that?

he averaged 19 yards a catch on 4 catches of which one was about 40 on a 5 yard pass, what he did most vs Georgia was drop passes.

7 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Whittington and sanders never didn’t work. They are better receivers than worthy anyway. Trying to rewatch now bc I was so drunk yesterday

But, they aren't the deep ball threat (considering Card's deep ball limitations) that Worthy or Neyor (theoretically) is.  No one was getting separation.  Made it too easy for TTU to essentially abandon deep coverage and clog up the middle so Card has to throw into traffic (another of his limitations).

But, it certainly seems we could have/should have worked the backs and TEs into some stuff to the outside.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, TexArcher said:

Fair, but also: our best deep threat went out so we started chucking it deep a bunch of times.

We had to take deep shots because of the way they were covering. The idea there is that they will back off of their shallow coverage. They didn't, and it probably even reinforced the idea

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Fair, but also: our best deep threat went out so we started chucking it deep a bunch of times.

Well, trying to stretch them out and thereby proving that Worthy is the only credible deep threat with Card at the trigger.

McGuire did a lot of gambling in this game, and it paid off for him.  Also means he got lucky.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

We had to take deep shots because of the way they were covering. The idea there is that they will back off of their shallow coverage. They didn't, and it probably even reinforced the idea

I'm sorry, but no, you do not have to take deep shots based on how they're covering.  And you really don't have to do it with a 14-point lead and a backup quarterback when you have two excellent running backs.

Again, this game was not lost by Hudson Card.  It was lost by shitty offensive playcalling and a really bad secondary (who were exhausted partly by our shitty offensive playcalling's inability to sustain a drive).

• Hook 'Em 3