Hudson Card

Neonmoon

47 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yea nobody is saying he’s fucking John elway out there but certainly not the only reason we lost and maybe not even the main reason.   

When you lose by just a FG, you can argue that just one aspect of the team playing better would have own the game. This includes our shitty defense and Card's inability to make deep or quicker throws. There is no "main" reason for the loss. Everything was "a" reason.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

I'm sorry, but no, you do not have to take deep shots based on how they're covering.  And you really don't have to do it with a 14-point lead and a backup quarterback when you have two excellent running backs.

Again, this game was not lost by Hudson Card.  It was lost by shitty offensive playcalling and a really bad secondary (who were exhausted partly by our shitty offensive playcalling's inability to sustain a drive).

So the deep shots are what the defense is giving you, are something this offense majors in, but you say no to that, cool. They are loading the box with their coverage by default to further help the run against an OL that struggles to run block against honest fronts. Throwing into the flats doesn't work if they are already covering shallow. So I guess you're saying we should consistently throw into coverage then. Sounds like a winner.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

So the deep shots are what the defense is giving you, are something this offense majors in, but you say no to that, cool. They are loading the box with their coverage by default to further help the run against an OL that struggles to run block against honest fronts. Throwing into the flats doesn't work if they are already covering shallow. So I guess you're saying we should consistently throw into coverage then. Sounds like a winner.

Look.  Their defensive coordinator basically said hey, they're killing us with quick hitters over the middle and their RB's are their best weapons, so we're gonna stack the box and take away the quick hitters and between-the-tackles runs, and if this backup QB can beat us with WR screens and deep balls, we'll tip our cap.

They know Hudson can't hit a deep ball.  They've seen the film.

So, what do we do?  We start chucking deep and make them look like a bunch geniuses and the offense grinds to a halt.

And we had to throw deep, you say?  Why?  You're pretty much saying we had no choice by to run the plays they wanted us to run.  But...  Where were the WR screens?  The HB screens?  The outside runs?  The end arounds?  There were other things available besides between-the-tackles runs into an 8-man front and chucked prayers by a backup quarterback on a bad ankle.

We.  Got.  Out.  Coached.  Period.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

13 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

Now do the 3 and outs cause Card the Tard can’t throw more than 5 yards or read past his first option 

In the Second half here were our drives:

4 Plays 8 yards.  Turnover on Downs: 8 yards (After one of our 4 down stops on Tech)  1 pass attempt: Complete 5 yards.  We ran up the middle on 3rd and 4th down.

8 Plays 75 yards 40 yard TD by Bijan. Card was 2 of 3 on the drive for 23 yards and a 22 yard scramble.

3 Plays 2 yards Punt.  Card was 1 of 2 for 0 yards.

3 Plays -1 yard Punt.  Card was 0 for 2.

5 Plays - 17 yards Punt.  Card was 0-2 and we only got a first down because of a pass interference call, otherwise another 3 and out.

5 Plays - 46 yards FG.  Card was 3 for 3 for 46 yards.

• Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Look.  Their defensive coordinator basically said hey, they're killing us with quick hitters over the middle and their RB's are their best weapons, so we're gonna stack the box and take away the quick hitters and between-the-tackles runs, and if this backup QB can beat us with WR screens and deep balls, we'll tip our cap.

They know Hudson can't hit a deep ball.  They've seen the film.

So, what do we do?  We start chucking deep and make them look like a bunch geniuses and the offense grinds to a halt.

And we had to throw deep, you say?  Why?  Where were the WR screens?  The HB screens?  The outside runs?  The end arounds?  

We.  Got.  Out.  Coached.  Period.

Outside runs got stonewalled, outleveraged, or penetrated fairly consistently in the 2nd half. You don't want to run a screen into shallow coverage. High risk/low reward

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Outside runs got stonewalled, outleveraged, or penetrated fairly consistently in the 2nd half. You don't want to run a screen into shallow coverage. High risk/low reward

Okay, so you're saying that Texas Tech was perfectly positioned to take away our entire playbook except for the deep ball.  Texas Tech.  The same Texas Tech who gave up 30 points to a U of H team who could barely beat Rice.

And somehow that's an argument that we didn't get outcoached?  Because Card is so limiting?  The same Card who had 301 all-purpose yards and 2 touchdowns?

We can just go ahead and agree to disagree here.

• Hook 'Em 2

First play of the game is a 22 yard catch & run by Bijan. That was also his last reception.  At worst, he is always the last option on any passing play when he is on the field, and to not be able to get him the ball is unforgivable.  Tied for the worst utilization of talent in the history of football.

We scored on 4 of 5 first half possessions, with an interception being the outlier.  Quick hitters on short passes worked. We did executed none of that in the second half. That is basic 7 on 7 stuff, pre snap reads, short quick throws. 

1 hour ago, UTEX90 said:

In the Second half here were our drives possessions:

4 Plays 8 yards.  Turnover on Downs: 8 yards (After one of our 4 down stops on Tech)  1 pass attempt: Complete 5 yards.  We ran up the middle on 3rd and 4th down.

8 Plays 75 yards 40 yard TD by Bijan. Card was 2 of 3 on the drive for 23 yards and a 22 yard scramble.

3 Plays 2 yards Punt.  Card was 1 of 2 for 0 yards.

3 Plays -1 yard Punt.  Card was 0 for 2.

5 Plays - 17 yards Punt.  Card was 0-2 and we only got a first down because of a pass interference call, otherwise another 3 and out.

5 Plays - 46 yards FG.  Card was 3 for 3 for 46 yards.

Ball game. In 3 possessions, when moving the ball and running some clock was paramount, Card was 1 for 6 for 0 yards. Speed and athleticism all over the field nets ZERO yards. Beyond pathetic. As Abe Lemons would say, "... you got 1 more yard then a dead man...". Oops! No, you didn't!!!

There was a lot of bad coaching and bad plays to go around.

1 for 6 for zero yards doesn't need much context.

Edited by PTINS
typo. text.
  • Hook 'Em 3

This game is who card is, has all the obvious things you think you’d need to be a qb, will look good enough at times to make you think he could be a good qb, but then at key moments will absolutely stall and kill drives which will play a big part in losing the game.

The qb and offense impacts the field position and defense .

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

This game is who card is, has all the obvious things you think you’d need to be a qb, will look good enough at times to make you think he could be a good qb, but then at key moments will absolutely stall and kill drives which will play a big part in losing the game.

People are right when they say Hudson Card didn't lose this game. But he wasn't good enough for a team that needs its offense to be really good to win the game. 

He's not horrible, but he's just not the guy. Ewers, in three quarters of football has shown more than Card in about 8 or so games.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Didn’t tech go 17 plays on their first drive?  I guess Card should’ve held off on that touchdown pass?

Card definitely can’t deliver us to the promise land. He hesitates too much and it's obvious that the coaching staff doesn't trust him with all these run plays and conservative style throws. He's very inaccurate or rushes his passes. Nice to see he can run and step up in the pocket, but that's not enough to win games. With Card at the controls we look just like last year's team.  

• Like 1

Didn’t tech go 17 plays on their first drive?  I guess Card should’ve held off on that touchdown pass?

Card went stone cold in the 4th quarter. He couldn’t move the ball when we desperately needed him to. Cards shortcomings in the 4th had their defense disrespecting our passing game which shut down the running game bc we aren’t good enough a run blocking team to run without advantage.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/24/2022 at 6:47 PM, Neonmoon said:

Lol. Card is exactly the reason our defense was on the field for a lot of time. You have to have drives to give the D breaks 

This is idiotic.

Do you think Card is who was calling inside zone runs and RoCat plays for -4 to 2 yard gains to start most of our 2nd half drives?

Was Card missing the tackles on 4th down? Was card leaving Wr After WR open in the milled of the field?

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

This is idiotic.

Do you think Card is who was calling inside zone runs and RoCat plays for -4 to 2 yard gains to start most of our 2nd half drives?

Was Card missing the tackles on 4th down? Was card leaving Wr After WR open in the milled of the field?

Was Card throwing late and into double coverage which allowed Tech to stop Texas on some key 3rd downs, it says something that you have to use some specialty package at all because you don't trust your QB on 3rd and short.

Look, Card is a nice enough kid that threw a few nice passes on that last drive.  But he is in the bottom half of QBs that have played at UT since Colt graduated, probably on par with GG, and better than Swoopes, and probably Case and Heard (notwithstanding that one Cal game).  Casey, Ash, Sam, Buechele were all better than him.  And outside Sam, none of those guys were much above mediocre (although I'll always wonder what Ash could have done).  

So we are stuck with a medicore QB until Ewers is back.  I don't love the play calling either, but Card is simply limited in what he can do on the field.  He won't throw his receivers open or let them make plays, and he holds the ball too long.  The game is too fast for him and he never had to throw to covered receivers before.  I hope Quinn is back for OU because the conference is still salvageable even with one more loss if we can get that game.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

If Quinn can't play this weekend, then play Wright.

If Card is holding Sark's play calling back thus causing defensive collapses then what's the point in rolling him out there for Tech? Do we really need to see the same ugly game plan?

Maybe Wright is a game day producer, not a practice guy. Either way you know what Card is and what he does. So if he is the problem, why keep playing him?

• Hook 'Em 2

Was Card throwing late and into double coverage which allowed Tech to stop Texas on some key 3rd downs, it says something that you have to use some specialty package at all because you don't trust your QB on 3rd and short.

Threw into double coverage how many times? Once I think. He didn’t really throw late much either. But that happens to every damn QB in every damn game ever played.

It’s pretty standard to run on 3rd and short. Sark does run play fakes on short yardage situations.

If Card's first option is covered he cannot make it to a secondary target. There were so many plays where the TE was wide open for example but Card either held the ball too long waiting for his first target to get open or made a bad throw to the first target/threw ball away.

He is just so limiting as a QB. I would just fucking load the box, and send a MLB to blitz every play, you will 100% rattle him and get pressure etc, especially with as poor as the interior OL is doing in blocking.

I get he is not as mobile but he has had the inability to see the field the entire time he has been at UT

• Hook 'Em 1

You can get by with a one read qb when you run the option and he's built like a running back.  For every other offense, it's rather crippling.  When you have to rely on outscoring people because you have a suspect defense, it makes it even worse.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

Card does well if you allow a simple one or two read pattern with both options on the same side of the formation. That worked well enough early to the backs and WRs for shorter dumps.

The problem with that is Tech keyed on it as well and now they are flooding the zones on the shorter route trees and daring him to go deep, which he/the WRs/the OL did not execute well.

As an added bonus to Tech, this allowed them to keep 8 in the box regardless of the situation and keep the running game in check.

Yes, the interior OL sucked at blocking in the run game, but when it is consistently outmanned then it is going to take amazing runs to break even.

The other thing Card just seems unable/unwilling to do is to look at the TE in the middle of the field.

19 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I just don't see how anyone can put this L on Card and not the D.  Yeah he could have played better but we got his literal best start he's ever had against a P5 team.  The D allowing 6 of 8 on 4th down tells the story on this game.

29 plays for 147 yards in the 2nd half is pure shit.  It was a total collapse reminiscent of last year.

43 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

The other thing Card just seems unable/unwilling to do is to look at the TE in the middle of the field.

Helm was so fucking wide open on the 2nd drive, even the announcers were joking about it. I'm not sure if it's a walk-in TD, but it sure as shit was a 1st down. Instead, Card throws a late jump ball to Bijan who was well covered. 

Holy shit, I just rewatched that play, it was worse than I thought. 1st down, Helm wide open over the middle, he either scores or sets up 1st and goal inside the 5. Card only sees Bijan, and overthrows him on purpose because he's covered. Didn't even know to look 5 yards in front of him to see the secondary read.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So we are stuck with a medicore QB until Ewers is back.  I don't love the play calling either, but Card is simply limited in what he can do on the field.  He won't throw his receivers open or let them make plays, and he holds the ball too long.  The game is too fast for him and he never had to throw to covered receivers before.  I hope Quinn is back for OU because the conference is still salvageable even with one more loss if we can get that game.  

Go back and watch our 3rd quarter TD drive. Do it. I dare you. On 3rd down, he anticipates an unblocked edge rusher, steps up into the pocket and delivers a very good ball (one could probably say throws him open). A hold gets him in a long yardage situation later in the drive. He calmly takes half that back on one play. Then decisively decides to run and actually out runs the defense to convert the first down. We then score. He created that drive with his head, his arm and his legs.

The throw to Worthy? The ball traveled roughly 55 yards in the air. He’s got the arm for probably 65. If that’s not enough for Sarks offense, that’s a shitty offense.

Yesterday, he gave Whittington and Worthy two plays each over and above the catches they made. Drive 2. He threw it quick in great anticipation to Worthy. Threw him open maybe. There is only a middle safety between Worthy and the EZ. Right in the damn hands. Dropped it. Both had deep balls right in their hands. Certainly not perfect balls but you see college dudes catching those all day long. Not a catch.

He’s started 4 damn games on a crappy team. No shit he ain’t processing like a veteran. And I hate to tell you Quinn isn’t either. So that addresses two of your points. The games too fast and he’s never had to throw to covered dudes. 4 starts and one of those we don’t even know how much he practiced during the week. He’s never had a spring or a fall as the full time starter. He’s still young. He got pulled after one loss last year. A loss in which on offensive play #2 of the game we had four olinemen blocking each other while Bijan was getting mauled. Kinda set the tone. A good team on the road. At night. In game 2 of a new system as a new starter with virtually no game experience. With a buncha dudes that ultimately went 5-7 or rather 4-6 in games that he did not start. Imagine that.

In spite of all that he’s improved a great deal. He is processing faster. He’s never been allowed to play and screw up without repercussions. Think that impacts how he plays? Sure as hell does. He is way down the list of reasons we lost. I’m not even saying he’s the answer. But realize players improve. All the time. And I sure as hell hope Quinn leads us to the promised land because that means I win. But get off the other guys ass and quit making up shit to fit your narrative.

He was 20-30. At least 4 others were catchable. At least two were throwaways. One the pass catcher got bumped off his route. There was one other in which I’m not sure the route runner adjusted well. In 3 games, he’s thrown what, 1 ball that was anywhere near picked. He’s run for firsts. He’s outrun some defenders. He’s led drives at the end of each half. He’s actually thrown some good deep balls this year. He’s thrown others that could have been caught.

If you’ve read this, thanks for indulging me. And thanks to all of you punks for reminding me I do care and that I’ve still got some fighting spirit.
  • Hook 'Em 3

22 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I've been saying this for 10 years. 

Our defensive Head Coach couldn't put an offense together... enter Sterlin Gilbert for a season and we seem to be able to run the ball, even with no QB.

Our two offensive guru Head Coaches couldn't put an offense together, because they didn't put an OL together (whether recruiting or portal or coaching) and relied solely on the QB to pull plays out of his ass... or not.

Then, our defense defends all fucking day, and finally falls apart in Q4.

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Go back and watch our 3rd quarter TD drive. Do it. I dare you. On 3rd down, he anticipates an unblocked edge rusher, steps up into the pocket and delivers a very good ball (one could probably say throws him open). A hold gets him in a long yardage situation later in the drive. He calmly takes half that back on one play. Then decisively decides to run and actually out runs the defense to convert the first down. We then score. He created that drive with his head, his arm and his legs.

The throw to Worthy? The ball traveled roughly 55 yards in the air. He’s got the arm for probably 65. If that’s not enough for Sarks offense, that’s a shitty offense.

Yesterday, he gave Whittington and Worthy two plays each over and above the catches they made. Drive 2. He threw it quick in great anticipation to Worthy. Threw him open maybe. There is only a middle safety between Worthy and the EZ. Right in the damn hands. Dropped it. Both had deep balls right in their hands. Certainly not perfect balls but you see college dudes catching those all day long. Not a catch.

He’s started 4 damn games on a crappy team. No shit he ain’t processing like a veteran. And I hate to tell you Quinn isn’t either. So that addresses two of your points. The games too fast and he’s never had to throw to covered dudes. 4 starts and one of those we don’t even know how much he practiced during the week. He’s never had a spring or a fall as the full time starter. He’s still young. He got pulled after one loss last year. A loss in which on offensive play #2 of the game we had four olinemen blocking each other while Bijan was getting mauled. Kinda set the tone. A good team on the road. At night. In game 2 of a new system as a new starter with virtually no game experience. With a buncha dudes that ultimately went 5-7 or rather 4-6 in games that he did not start. Imagine that.

In spite of all that he’s improved a great deal. He is processing faster. He’s never been allowed to play and screw up without repercussions. Think that impacts how he plays? Sure as hell does. He is way down the list of reasons we lost. I’m not even saying he’s the answer. But realize players improve. All the time. And I sure as hell hope Quinn leads us to the promised land because that means I win. But get off the other guys ass and quit making up shit to fit your narrative.

He was 20-30. At least 4 others were catchable. At least two were throwaways. One the pass catcher got bumped off his route. There was one other in which I’m not sure the route runner adjusted well. In 3 games, he’s thrown what, 1 ball that was anywhere near picked. He’s run for firsts. He’s outrun some defenders. He’s led drives at the end of each half. He’s actually thrown some good deep balls this year. He’s thrown others that could have been caught.

If you’ve read this, thanks for indulging me. And thanks to all of you punks for reminding me I do care and that I’ve still got some fighting spirit.

I’ve always thought the thing about Sark is he could turn trash into treasure?  

I don’t think Card is a good qb but I’m not sure where the arm strength thing comes from.  I think he was measured as having the strongest arm at one of those qb camps. 

14 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Your son’s a decent QB Mr. Card but he’s just overrated and not the answer here. He’s been a college QB for 3 years at this point. The whole team sucks, not just him to be fair. 

Edited by Helobious
  • Haha 2

Helm was so fucking wide open on the 2nd drive, even the announcers were joking about it. I'm not sure if it's a walk-in TD, but it sure as shit was a 1st down. Instead, Card throws a late jump ball to Bijan who was well covered. 

You’re wrong on the late jump ball. It wasn’t late, quite the opposite actually. It wasn’t a jump ball. The defender had no chance at it.

QBs miss guys. All the time. Quinn’s first pass play. Helm was wide open. It happens. QBs are looking deep to short most likely so if you like what you see deep you probably won’t work back underneath.

The call most likely was Bijan as the primary. That ball is going about the time Bijan is even with the defender. If he’s even, he’s leaving right? I’m pretty sure on deep balls that’s the philosophy right? Don’t wait until he’s open open to throw it.

QB sees the look he wants. He sees Bijan about to get loose. But you see the defender bumps Bijan from just inside the numbers, almost to the sideline. The numbers are 7 yards from the sideline. That is what disrupts the play. Oddly enough, if Card doesn’t process as quick, maybe he sees Bijan bumped off the route and adjusts his throw or comes off him.

I’d like him to take Helm because it’s an easy throw, but the decision is understandable given the circumstances. Also part of that decision may have been that Bijan has been open often on that play. I trust him to be again. Helm also was open on the 3rd and 3. We really don’t look at Helm. We need to do so.

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I’ve always thought the thing about Sark is he could turn trash into treasure?  

I don’t think Card is a good qb but I’m not sure where the arm strength thing comes from.  I think he was measured as having the strongest arm at one of those qb camps. 

Didn’t the aggy qb (king) get tapped as having the strongest arm out there at a similar camp?  Now, he’s riding pine in a very ho-hum, 90’s throwback offense.

Maybe, just maybe, these “camps” are run by dudes that don’t know a fucking thing about assessing talent?

5 minutes ago, turtlepond said:

Didn’t the aggy qb (king) get tapped as having the strongest arm out there at a similar camp?  Now, he’s riding pine in a very ho-hum, 90’s throwback offense.

Maybe, just maybe, these “camps” are run by dudes that don’t know a fucking thing about assessing talent?

And maybe king does have a strong arm?  Doesn’t make him a good qb.  My point is while card isn’t very good I’m not sure his arm strength is the main issue

Really the only thing holding Card back is that he is consistently late on throws. He has to see something develop and then waits a tick to be sure.  We can cherry pick plays where he executed well, but the vast majority of his throws are late... even the positive plays. For example, the Whittington catch on the sideline. Was it a toe drag? Maybe. That throw was also a count late. You know the route, you see the coverage throw the damn ball, and that is an NFL catch with zero question.

He has plenty of arm, he is obviously a good athlete. He just doesn't have anticipation... that is something that I am not sure can ever be taught.

The idea that the offense is not limited with him the game is absurd. With the addition of Worthy going out, that played right in to the strength of Tech's defense.

Three and out definitely have an affect on the defense, but at some point somebody has to be the "guy." Somebody has to make a play when no one else will. We stared at the ball on the ground twice yesterday... we gave up 6/7 4th downs, we were awful on 3rd. Several of those instances we had players, even our "best" players sometimes, in position to make a play, and they didn't do it.

When they say winning is hard, this is what they mean. At some point, as a player, you have to stop being a fucking loser. Who cares if it wasn't the perfect play call, who cares if you had played 100 snaps? If winning was easy, everyone would be able to do it.

Make a play(s), win the game. It is as simple as that.

Edited by Fico
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

And maybe king does have a strong arm?  Doesn’t make him a good qb.  My point is while card isn’t very good I’m not sure his arm strength is the main issue

I wasn’t disagreeing with you, more the point that these camps are too often taken as gospel 

Mechanics or whatever (I’ll never claim to be knowledgeable on it), neither Card nor King have any proven ability to accurately and hastily move the ball with more than a short pass. Just from a rube watching the games, it’s easy to tell Card waits until the passing window begins closing before he winds up. That’s definitely not a mechanical problem in his game

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

Here, I'll make it easier for you, let me remove the 8 play 75 yard TD drive from the equation.

21 plays for 72 yards...that's PRETTY FUCKING SHIT!

so.... you want to do stats and choose which stats matter...  another 75 yard TD play would have lead to a different outcome... but 21 plays for 72 yards would still be fucking shit.

next time, go ahead and hit me with the standard deviation instead.

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I never said Card was perfect, or even pretty good, I was simply pointing out the fallacy of blaming him for the D being in the field in the entire 2nd half. I don’t give a single fuck who the QB is, when he’s in 3rd and longs repeatedly it’s a bad situation… unless you’re playing the Texas defense, then it doesn’t really matter.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/25/2022 at 2:42 PM, KeysPhoneWallet said:

and momentum

Momentum is real contrary to what turtle used to say

Fire Sark he's a dumb fuck for starting Card and keeping him in there limping around with no real backup plan

I never said Card was perfect, or even pretty good, I was simply pointing out the fallacy of blaming him for the D being in the field in the entire 2nd half. I don’t give a single fuck who the QB is, when he’s in 3rd and longs repeatedly it’s a bad situation… unless you’re playing the Texas defense, then it doesn’t really matter.

Card was pretty good for many plays. But not the ones that ended up mattering in the 4th qtr

12 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

🙄

He took Texas right down the field for the game tying FG with under 30 seconds on the clock.

Tech fucked up by changing their defensive strategy there. Good on Sark/Card for taking advantage. We get more of those looks with Worthy on the field