Tell me about Aldi

RandomIdoit

I like Aldi pretty well.

My regular pickups include milk, butter, cheeses and other dairy products, potato chips, mustards and other condiments, chocolates, ice cream bars, fruits and veggies, plastic storage bags, canned goods, white chunk tuna, nuts, crackers, and lots of other stuff.

I couldn't shop there exclusively but it's worth hitting once a week.I usually go when I need milk, ($1.84/gal).

Since nobody is answering the questions:

Aldi is basically a one brand store.  They sell one brand of each item.  So you just get corn chips, either their in house brand, or Tostitos brand, but that's it. There's not 4 different brands of each item.  Most of their stuff is an in house brand, and it's all usually pretty good.  And it's almost laughably cheap.  LIke you can't believe how little money you spent cheap. But it's hard to do all your shopping exclusively at Aldi, because the selection is not huge.   The company is one half of a pair of secretive German brothers in the grocery business.  The other brother owns Trader Joe's.

You have to put a quarter in the cart to unhook it, you get your quarter back when you reconnect the chain.   They don't bag.  they just scan all your shit and dump it back in the cart.  Then you take your stuff over to the shelf behind the check out counters and bag/box it yourself after you pay.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 3

I have a few thoughts on Aldi, which is where I do most of my grocery shopping.

1) Their chocolate bars are very hard to beat in terms of price and quality.

2) Eggs and milk are among the lowest priced.

3) Frozen food is a great place to shop for one or two, but it is not cost competitive on family-sized portions, which they generally do not have.

4) They change their selection to match the location's clientele. The one I shop at has a selection of hummus, different cheeses, and even full-fat yogurt. The next closest one has ready-made sandwiches and similar deli items.

5) The pre-made pizzas cannot be beat in terms of quality and price. I can buy two for the cost of one from Walmart.

6) The fruits and veggies are priced well, but they're organic and do not keep as long.

7) Meat is hit-or-miss. They have some good stuff and some very average stuff.

8 ) Their soup selection is surprisingly good. No more Campbells or Progresso for me, I'll stick with Aldi's store brands.

To give you an idea about the prices, I bought a quart of full-fat yogurt, a large jar of peanut butter, a thing of cream cheese, a loaf of bread, a car container of chewing gum, and a gallon of milk for $11 yesterday. The chewing gum is $3-4 by itself at Walmart.

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

I like Aldi. But like others have said i cant do my complete shopping there.  Since i dont like going shopping more than once i usually just go to HEB

I like saving money as much as the next guy but fuck going to two different stores to buy groceries. That is some pretty dedicated penny pinching.

• Like 1

i buy whatever i can from Aldi's save meat and produce.  love that place, especially with 3 teenage boys.

and like someone said, their premade pizzas are the best deal going.  18 inch, 4 cheese pepperoni for $5.00...and it's pretty fucking good.  we usually add fresh tomatoes and garlic and grill up. 

feeding 3 teenagers and myself on $10.00 and some change?  that's what's up.

oh...even though i don't drink, Aldi's has some award winning wines that run $7.00, $8.00 that people i know rave about.

In excellent news for the wine-drinkers of the world, Aldi has done it again. The discount grocery chain has a $7 bottle of Shiraz from Australia that has been named one of the best wines in the world, and it just beat a $375 bottle in competition.

Aldi's One Road Shiraz is a medium-bodied red with a flavor that's described as "clean and fruit driven with no sign of wood. It retails for $6.99 in Australia, which is just about $5.35 in the U.S., but the budget wine just won gold in the Great Australian Shiraz Challenge, an exclusive, 23-year-old competition that compares only Shiraz wines from Australia. It's described as one of the most prestigious single-class wine competitions in the world.

The Aldi wine was ranked gold, which is the designation the competition awards to any wine rated 18.5 points or higher by its panel of six expert judges. That means Aldi's wine scored higher than over 200 other bottles of Australian Shiraz, including a 2013 vintage by Bird in Hand that sells for $375. (It might sell for a little less now that it's been beaten in a wine competition by a $7 bottle from Aldi.)

Other high-priced bottles that scored lower than Aldi's include a $250 bottle from Mount Pleasant Wines, and a $200 bottle from Wolf Blass Wines.

The average price of a bottle entered in the competition was $54. The Aldi wine was clearly one of the very cheapest wines in the whole competition.

"We pride ourselves on sourcing products of the highest quality, and these award wins are testament to the excellent calibre of the Australian suppliers we work with," ALDI buying director Jason Bowyer said to Daily Mail Australia. "A $10 wine at ALDI should drink like a $20 to $25 wine from elsewhere, and we consistently deliver on this formula."

This is not Aldi's first budget wine to win big in international competitions. Earlier this year Aldi's $8 Exquisite Collection Cotes de Provence Rosé 2016 was named the best value rosé at the prestigious International Wine Challenge.

At the moment, One Road Shiraz is only available at Aldi stores in Australia, unfortunately. But last year's prize-winning rosé was originally available only in the U.K., and it did eventually make it to the U.S. this fall, so there's still hope. In the meantime, Aldi just released their Soloist Pinot Noir in the U.S. It's $14.99 a bottle instead of $7, but it's still one of the best wines to pick up for Thanksgiving.

Aldi wine

On 6/11/2018 at 11:09 PM, Apep said:

I have a few thoughts on Aldi, which is where I do most of my grocery shopping.

1) Their chocolate bars are very hard to beat in terms of price and quality.

2) Eggs and milk are among the lowest priced.

3) Frozen food is a great place to shop for one or two, but it is not cost competitive on family-sized portions, which they generally do not have.

4) They change their selection to match the location's clientele. The one I shop at has a selection of hummus, different cheeses, and even full-fat yogurt. The next closest one has ready-made sandwiches and similar deli items.

5) The pre-made pizzas cannot be beat in terms of quality and price. I can buy two for the cost of one from Walmart.

6) The fruits and veggies are priced well, but they're organic and do not keep as long.

7) Meat is hit-or-miss. They have some good stuff and some very average stuff.

8 ) Their soup selection is surprisingly good. No more Campbells or Progresso for me, I'll stick with Aldi's store brands.

To give you an idea about the prices, I bought a quart of full-fat yogurt, a large jar of peanut butter, a thing of cream cheese, a loaf of bread, a car container of chewing gum, and a gallon of milk for $11 yesterday. The chewing gum is $3-4 by itself at Walmart.

Yah but do they sell Whataburger brand breakfast sausage and mustard?  I rest my case.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 6:51 AM, Post Oak said:

I like Aldi. But like others have said i cant do my complete shopping there.  Since i dont like going shopping more than once i usually just go to HEB

On 6/12/2018 at 8:47 AM, Kyrie Eleison said:

i buy whatever i can from Aldi's save meat and produce.  love that place, especially with 3 teenage boys.

and like someone said, their premade pizzas are the best deal going.  18 inch, 4 cheese pepperoni for $5.00...and it's pretty fucking good.  we usually add fresh tomatoes and garlic and grill up. 

feeding 3 teenagers and myself on $10.00 and some change?  that's what's up.

Is the Waco one that good? I remember going there after it first opening and I remember saying fuck this place. I don't even remember them having fruits and vegetables. 

On 6/10/2018 at 7:55 PM, Both Tacos said:

We cut our grocery bill in half by getting all the items we can there, rather than Kroger.

If it's not on sale at Kroger, you will almost certainly spend more than other places.  They are extremely into the "High/Low" game.

On 6/11/2018 at 11:05 AM, Bateshorn said:

Since nobody is answering the questions:

Aldi is basically a one brand store.  They sell one brand of each item.  So you just get corn chips, either their in house brand, or Tostitos brand, but that's it.

Aldi doesn't carry Tostitos... 

On 6/12/2018 at 8:23 AM, tokamak said:

I like saving money as much as the next guy but fuck going to two different stores to buy groceries. That is some pretty dedicated penny pinching.

Consumers average just below 2 trips to the grocery store per week with trends headed downward, due to e-commerce.

That doesn't mean you have to go to 2 places in the same day, though.

Aldi’s is the tits. Used to shop there all the time when we lived in Garland. It’s my go-to when I visit Germany to get my chocolate stash to bring back. It’s always funny when people knock Aldi’s and have a “Finkel is Einhorn” moment when they find out about Trader Joe’s.

My wife goes to no less than 4 stores every Saturday for our groceries. I quit shopping with her about 19 years ago. She is the extreme coupon counterpart to my travel hacking. We have enough shampoo, soap, razors and laundry detergent in her stash to last us into retirement.

I'm not a huge fan. I dislike the lack of selection, customer service and store layout. However, my wife does most of the shopping and she buys a bunch of stuff from Aldi's. So I get the best of both worlds. I don't have to deal with the store itself and I save money.

5 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Is the Waco one that good? I remember going there after it first opening and I remember saying fuck this place. I don't even remember them having fruits and vegetables. 

This is how I remember it too.  Not the one in Waco but the only one I’ve ever been in was walk in, see a really limited selection of some brands I’ve never heard of, almost all a bunch of products I didn’t want/need, said fuck this place I’m not that poor, turned around and left.

And now this...

Aldi, the discount supermarket chain with stores in more than 20 countries, just won an award for best whisky in the world. Your great-grandpappy's moss-covered distillery nestled in the Scottish highlands can suck it. 

At the Spirits Business Scotch Whisky Masters, judges bestowed two gold medals on the Aldi brand—one for its Highland Black Scotch Whisky, and another for its Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky. (They share the gold with other entrants.) The Highland Black has hints of heather, strawberry leaf, and lemon oil, and retails for $17. The Islay Single Malt is "fresh and zesty," and retails for $23.

Pretty sure Aldi's in Texas don't sell booze, but maybe that is around the corner.

Esquire Article

Building one near our house across the street from a Price Chopper and Hannaford’s(2 chains that are prevelant in USNY), went to another that’s a few miles away a while back and remember not being too impressed with it, may have to give it another shot. 

3 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

And now this...

Pretty sure Aldi's in Texas don't sell booze, but maybe that is around the corner.

Esquire Article

Aldi's in Carrollton sells beer & wine.  They sell some Dutch made beer under store brands that are close to other beers.  Broegel is their bock beer, the label looks like Shiner Bock.  It's not bad, tastes like an Euro version of SB.  They also have beers similar to Pilsner Urquell, Heineken, and maybe Becks.  

5 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

The Albrecht family are perhaps the wealthiest family in Germany. In summer I get their sausages that are packaged ina Bavarian flag motif. They are pretty good, made in Germany with a better texture than something from a Johnsonville, which are also good.

There was a time those two brothers were actually the wealthiest people in the world.  Bezos, Buffet, Gates, et. al.  They aren't really worth that amount due to liquidity issues.  You can't sell $30bn in stock and not accidentally tank it on the way down, rendering it worth half that.  Hans and Theo, at one point (during life), were 10x more liquid than anybody else on the Forbes list.  

Also, Aldi is the largest grocery store on the face of the Earth.  I prefer HEB, but considering they can't even break into DFW, I doubt Aldi is worried.  

13 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

The Albrecht family are perhaps the wealthiest family in Germany. In summer I get their sausages that are packaged ina Bavarian flag motif. They are pretty good, made in Germany with a better texture than something from a Johnsonville, which are also good.

Johnsonville doesn't count.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

On 6/16/2018 at 7:11 AM, SimonBolivar said:

I havent tried the pizza Kyrie recs.  One thing ive noticed the handful of times ive been is a few times its been relatively busy and theres only one cashier.  I cant stand that.

Just go and see what you think.  It serves a niche

• Like 1

I have nothing personally against Aldi, but I sure as hell am not going to two different grocery stores to get shit. Those that do to save a few bucks, good for them but not going to happen. Fuck we already go to Costco once a week in addition to the grocery store. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I have nothing personally against Aldi, but I sure as hell am not going to two different grocery stores to get shit. Those that do to save a few bucks, good for them but not going to happen. Fuck we already go to Costco once a week in addition to the grocery store. 

This is the one acceptable exception.

Aldi has heard "i'm not going to two different grocery stores every week" everywhere they've gone.  And they have penetrated thousands of markets.  Not dozens like HEB.  Not hundreds like Kroger or Safeway.  THOUSANDS.  Texans' loyalty to getting paper towels and soap at HEB is not going to stop these people.  

On 6/16/2018 at 11:48 AM, immortal13 said:

It's for the poors

This is kinda true.  We have one that is the closest market to our house.  But I don't like having to shop at multiple stores, so I typically default to Vons.  But the prices can be amazing.  You can get a case of 16oz bottled water for $2.  But you'd be hard pressed to do all of your shopping there.

54 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I'm not sure anyone here is trying to stop them. I think it's more - different strokes. God bless us, every one. 

This. 

It's like sure I could save a few bucks going to WalMart but the cost savings isn't worth the trip there (for me).