Matt Campbell is a little bitch-made pussy

ztejas

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If that’s the frame of reference you have, sure.

I think ISU fans view it more as a family member disowning you because they found a wealthier family to hang with. Specifically like if your wife left you for a wealthier guy, even though you guys were already very well off. And she told you, “hey - it’s just business”.

This isn’t where I’m at personally, I’m just explaining the lens through which this was viewed by many.

I can see that. Very different frame of reference, but it’s not like the conference was innocent. If Texas is the wife in the example, it would be the Gisele kind (just to fuel the hate).

College football has become increasingly transactional the last 20 years and is just continuing to escalate. Nebraska and aggy were transactional in spirit, relational in reality. Texas and OU were inevitable.

Yeah, Nebraska is clearly the worst. At least Texas and OU aren't bitching about unequal revenue sharing on the way out the door after voting against revenue sharing at every opportunity. I think the Texas people are just too far from Nebraska to realize how much everyone hates them. I don't like A&M but those guys are really weird and I can appreciate not playing them anymore. CU would have hurt a lot more if they hadn't turned themselves into KU before they left. Mizzou is more puzzling than anything. I get why they wanted to leave, but I don't get why they were wanted. 
Anyway, when the playoff expands and the Big 12 has an autobid, the left-behinds are going to be better positioned to make the playoffs and be in the national picture than they ever have been, so as a fan, it's hard to be all that upset.

I agree with all of this. The last part is a big reason I’m not angry at this point.

I understand the sentiment, but it really makes no sense. We have carried the conference financially for years. Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and A&M are the ones who stabbed the other schools in the back, including us, then blamed us for their actions. We could have abandoned the conference when A&M left, but instead we shared revenues more generously. We took into account how other schools were affected and helped out. For that, we have been blamed and hated much more vociferously than the schools that left then.
We are constantly mocked for doing less with more, so we are finally going to take advantage of our opportunities. Not sure why that makes other programs so mad. The upcoming reorganization is the biggest in history and other schools expect us to take it in the shorts? On top of that, the conference continually fucks us with officiating and refuses to ever admit their mistakes. Why should we have to put up with it?

To be fair, they fuck ALL of us with shitty officiating.

If we knew what we know today at the time OUT went down, there would have been much less anger.
I understand the sentiment, but it really makes no sense. We have carried the conference financially for years. Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and A&M are the ones who stabbed the other schools in the back, including us, then blamed us for their actions. We could have abandoned the conference when A&M left, but instead we shared revenues more generously. We took into account how other schools were affected and helped out. For that, we have been blamed and hated much more vociferously than the schools that left then.
We are constantly mocked for doing less with more, so we are finally going to take advantage of our opportunities. Not sure why that makes other programs so mad. The upcoming reorganization is the biggest in history and other schools expect us to take it in the shorts? On top of that, the conference continually fucks us with officiating and refuses to ever admit their mistakes. Why should we have to put up with it?

If we knew what we know today at the time OUT went down, there would have been much less anger.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Well, I do believe Iowa State and Texas get the short end of the stick with officiating more than any of the other schools. It has helped OU more than any other, but we get fucked on the regular. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Also, the officiating is terrible in every conference. It's a hard job and you have to work your way up with a whole lot of shitty jobs to even get to ref college games, which still isn't exactly hitting the big time. It's not going to get much better in another conference.

I have never seen other schools have routine plays reviewed the way we have, with uncalled penalties being called after review. Whatever season that was that we had several plays stopped for review and offensive pass interference called sucked ass. No other school in any conference has had that done to them multiple times. And the whole OU receiver going out of bounds last year, reviewed, and upheld? Fuck that.

• Hook 'Em 3

58 minutes ago, Nivek said:

This is very strange.  We are leaving the conference because we have a closer relationship with OU than any other school, and a package deal was arranged that would benefit both of us.  OU made the move and we decided to go along with it.    This is like hating your neighbor for taking a new job and moving away.  

We all have our issues with the conference from the leadership decision, to the blatant officiating fuckery that has been going on for over 2 decades, the shitty agreements, and petty squabbles.  Texas tried to get equal revenue sharing right from the start and everyone laughed.  Until Texas was the king revenue driver. 

Texas tried to start a CONFERENCE NETWORK and everyone laughed, heck we even tried to start the Lonestar Network, and aggy laughed.  Then everyone lost their mind as Texas created the Longhorn Network.   When the conference offered a bribe to OU, Texas, and aggy to prevent the conference from splitting up, OU AND Texas declined the bribe, and aggy took it and still left.   

We have acted in the interest of the conference for a long fucking time.  But have you?  Has the rest of the conference?  No?  Why?   We wanted the conference to be better.  We wanted the conference to be stable.  We wanted the conference to do better and at nearly every turn the conference has rejected making the necessary improvements to improve the value.   

This.  Over and over.  Everybody loves to hate Texas after they refuse to work with us.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Well, I do believe Iowa State and Texas get the short end of the stick with officiating more than any of the other schools. It has helped OU more than any other, but we get fucked on the regular. 

Truth.  And for some reason, they seem to like ISU even less than us.  I don’t think the targeting was in question. Fumble seemed much more iffy, but was called in real time.  I was fucking shocked they didn’t call it targeting just because fuck UT and all that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Also, the officiating is terrible in every conference. It's a hard job and you have to work your way up with a whole lot of shitty jobs to even get to ref college games, which still isn't exactly hitting the big time. It's not going to get much better in another conference.

Iowa fans bitch about Big 10 refs every week.

Christ, the NFL is full of shitass officiating.
  • Hook 'Em 1

i have said this a few times...but if i was iowa state or okstate or whatever, i would seriously be happy with the way this shit is shaking out.  the new big 12 without texas and ou but with houston, cincy, ucf, and byu is going to be fun as hell.  wild shit every single week and no bullshit drama from the prima donnas at ou or texas.

also, @Al_4_ISU, while campbell did not say it out loud and the running back did, it would seem that the players disagree with your take.

https://ne-np.facebook.com/CycloneFB/videos/five-star-culture/1336158803550499/

also, he didn't exactly fail to embrace it - nor did the school. the below shirts are on the official fan store.  so if you are going to make it your whole motto, don't have a tantrum when you lose to extend to 0-4 in conference (which is what this is really about) and lose to five star players who throw it back into your face.  as pathetic as tom herman was, you didn't see him screaming at breece hall to "shut the fuck up, bitch."

FiveStarCulture-BreeceKids_480x.jpg?v=16

1009793_black_front_480x.png?v=161842625

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I never understood why all the fans of schools that always claim Texas is keeping them down, Texas runs the conference, haven’t been rejoicing and counting the days until Texas leaves and unshackles them. 

Campbell and the isu fanbase, if they are going to embrace the five star culture deal, should hold themselves to a standard of behavior. And that standard shouldn’t include his histrionics on the sidelines at times, not should it include continuing to argue for a penalty and/or non-fumble call that are at best toss ups. 

I personally believe the ball was out of his control before his knee hit and I think the replays on tv during the game show as much. The hit, well the biggest problem there is the rule is applied so inconsistently that we’ve all seen that guy called and not called, seen worse not called, and seen less called. So it kind of goes by what each fan has personally seen and knows to be targeting.  But at this point, days after the fact, it should be takes about calmly and not as declaratively as if it’s an indefensible no-call, if it’s talked about at all. 

if it’s any team other than isu, Texas gets called for targeting even though it’s not targeting. That’s my opinion on it. 

Since the thread is about Campbell, I’ll give my thoughts on him.

He’s an elite program builder and talent evaluator. He’s a shitty in-game coach. His talent evaluation has helped him build a really good staff.

His teams have always been bad at fundamentals and things like special teams.

He’s won at ISU by upgrading talent in a big way, and getting kids to buy into a winning culture. We didn’t win by doing the little things well. We got better players, and got mentally tougher, making more plays with games on the line, and not just folding in every moment.

By all accounts, Campbell really believes and lives his schtick. This will prevent him from ever reaching the highest levels of success, and I think it’s why he stays at ISU. He can treat his program with the same mind set as a high school, and accumulate generational wealth at the same time. Any bigger, wealthier school will demand more than he’s capable of. He’s got a pretty big ego, and likes being the hero, too. I think it would break him to get fired from a higher profile gig. He’s far more comfortable building an underdog team than managing a fully built squad with major expectations.

ISU and the new look Big 12 are a perfect fit for him. If he leaves for a bigger job with bigger expectations, it ain’t gonna be pretty.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He’s an elite program builder and talent evaluator. He’s a shitty in-game coach. His talent evaluation has helped him build a really good staff.

He’s won at ISU by upgrading talent in a big way, and getting kids to buy into a winning culture. We didn’t win by doing the little things well. We got better players, and got mentally tougher, making more plays with games on the line, and not just folding in every moment.

By all accounts, Campbell really believes and lives his schtick. This will prevent him from ever reaching the highest levels of success, and I think it’s why he stays at ISU. He can treat his program with the same mind set as a high school, and accumulate generational wealth at the same time. Any bigger, wealthier school will demand more than he’s capable of. He’s got a pretty big ego, and likes being the hero, too. I think it would break him to get fired from a higher profile gig. He’s far more comfortable building an underdog team than managing a fully built squad with major expectations.

ISU and the new look Big 12 are a perfect fit for him. If he leaves for a bigger job with bigger expectations, it ain’t gonna be pretty.

I agree with most of this. People assume his ceiling is higher at a bigger program, but I really don't think it is. He would be a huge improvement over Frost at Nebraska, but he still would be fired after 4 or 5 years because he's not going to compete for conference championships.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Lots of similarities to Tom Herman.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, sidis said:

i have said this a few times...but if i was iowa state or okstate or whatever, i would seriously be happy with the way this shit is shaking out.  the new big 12 without texas and ou but with houston, cincy, ucf, and byu is going to be fun as hell.  wild shit every single week and no bullshit drama from the prima donnas at ou or texas.

also, @Al_4_ISU, while campbell did not say it out loud and the running back did, it would seem that the players disagree with your take.

https://ne-np.facebook.com/CycloneFB/videos/five-star-culture/1336158803550499/

also, he didn't exactly fail to embrace it - nor did the school. the below shirts are on the official fan store.  so if you are going to make it your whole motto, don't have a tantrum when you lose to extend to 0-4 in conference (which is what this is really about) and lose to five star players who throw it back into your face.  as pathetic as tom herman was, you didn't see him screaming at breece hall to "shut the fuck up, bitch."

FiveStarCulture-BreeceKids_480x.jpg?v=16

1009793_black_front_480x.png?v=161842625

If they lose to Oklahoma then the "0-5 star culture" talk will start. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think there's a lot to that.  If he's comfortable in Ames, then just stick around and make bank.  Lord knows ~ $4M annual goes a really long way in that part of the country.

One might think he could become the victim of his own success, but I think Kirk Ferentz is a good lesson on how happy Iowans are to settle for "pretty good".

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I like Campbell, and I hope y'all keep him. He's a blue collar coach and your program is much tougher because of him. Don't even really have a problem with his comments or actions. Just don't hold us and our players or coaches to a standard yours aren't also held to.

I am glad Iowa State is a much better program than it was 10 years ago. I hope to see y'all compete for championships for decades to come. I harbor no ill will whatsoever, and I think most other Texas folks agree.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Campbell really believes his schtick. This will prevent him from ever reaching the highest levels of success, and why he stays.  ISU and the new look Big 12 are a perfect fit for him. If he leaves for a bigger job with bigger expectations, it ain’t gonna be pretty.

Campbell has hit his ceiling at Iowa State.  If he tries to move up to a bigger job, it will be an epic failure... 

I think there's a lot to that.  If he's comfortable in Ames, then just stick around and make bank.  Lord knows ~ $4M annual goes a really long way in that part of the country.
One might think he could become the victim of his own success, but I think Kirk Ferentz is a good lesson on how happy Iowans are to settle for "pretty good".

Kirk Ferentz has the best job in football.

He’s never won an outright conference championship and is a Top 10 paid coach, or at least very close to that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Counterpoint: He has to live in College Station and deal with the aggy sheep fucking weirdo fanbase.

If he decided to go full FUPM, I suppose he could start "working from home" in another state. I know a PI lawyer who, as far as I know, has good enough help that he hasn't been in-state for about 2 years. He could argue that being present didn't really end up making a difference against App State and that many of his most important mistakes have always been on the road anyway.

9 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You all would have lost your fucking minds if that was Ewers and the same no call was made. It’s hilarious how you guys think you’re above it. Shouldn’t expect anything less, I guess. It’s human nature.

No we wouldn’t have. Ehlinger took 10 hits worse than that per game and we accepted it because that’s how we used him. Don’t want your QB to get rocked? Don’t use him as a RB. Blame your HC and QB.

But you’re correct that it wasn’t targeting.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The biggest reason we lost was because our All American WR dropped a well thrown wide open TD.

That was a big play sure. I would submit several calls that went against Texas made a bigger cumulative  impact (calls that I haven’t seen a single ISU fan even acknowledge much less your bitchass HC):

2 blatant uncalled PIs on ISU that kept us out of the end zone 

2 weakass holding calls on Texas that took away big gains especially on the kick

Blatant “missed” facemask call vs ISU

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Scholz said:

No we wouldn’t have. Ehlinger took 10 hits worse than that per game and we accepted it because that’s how we used him. Don’t want your QB to get rocked? Don’t use him as a RB. Blame your HC and QB.

But you’re correct that it wasn’t targeting.

Believe me I did. Fatal fucking flaw of his whole offense.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think Iowa has just accepted their place in the order of things. They aren't winning the Big 10. They aren't eclipsing Ohio State or Michigan. Their ceiling is a Florida NYD bowl game and they're okay with that. The alternative is worse. 

Absolutely. And that applies strongly to us as well.

Reasonable expectations combined with a passionate fanbase are getting more recognition as good jobs.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I just get tired if people acting like UT is THE ONLY school to ever move conferences or act in their own best interest. Nary a peep when Colorado, ATM, Nebraska did it. It's all just conveniently ignored that Texas made their decision based on what others had already done.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Texas left because of mean ol’ Texas?

Cyclones did get hosed by the B12 Refs in this game...

Iowa State’s Matt Campbell calls timeout just to yell at ref in loss to Baylor

OMZOVP52RRDLRKO52AZ6A7YAAI.jpg

Published: Sep. 24, 2022

Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell was so upset Saturday about a first-half call by the officials, he called timeout just to scream at the officiating crew.

Campbell, 42, made it a point to stop play in the Big 12 matchup against Baylor. At the point of the eruption, the Cyclones had twice the penalties that Baylor did.

• Haha 1

Matt Campbell irate with Clemson band during bowl loss

December 29, 2021

matt-campbell-upset-768x503.jpg 

Matt Campbell had a moment of great frustration during the Cheez-It Bowl in Orlando, Fla. on Wednesday night.

Campbell’s Iowa State Cyclones were trailing Clemson 13-3 in the third quarter. They had a 1st-and-10 at their 15 and got called for a false start penalty, which set off the Iowa State coach.

Campbell was irate on the sidelines. He was seen signaling to the officials and complaining about the Clemson band.

“The f—ing band!” Campbell was seen saying to the officials as he raised his hand to the band. “That’s f—ing bulls—,” he could be seen saying.

ESPN’s announcers later confirmed that Campbell’s issue was with the band.

“He was upset,” announcer Dave Pasch said of Campbell. “He thought the Clemson band was continuing to play during the cadence. Because they were backed up right in front of the band, that that was throwing off the offense.”

Campbell apparently thought the noise from the band was interfering with his players’ ability to hear the snap count. If that were the case, then Clemson’s band would have been responsible for a penalty.

The NCAA college football rulebook says “Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals (Rule 1-1-6).” Such an action is subject to a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Iowa State was already deep in their own territory before the penalty, which helps explain Campbell’s frustration. By his argument, Iowa State should have had the ball at their 30 instead of their 10. Two plays after the penalty, Clemson got a pick-six to make it 20-3.

The Tigers ended up winning the game 20-13.

College football has made a point of cracking down on things that could interfere with the offense’s signals. Campbell apparently wants the officials to start enforcing the band rule too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The refs are preventing his players from becoming their best version of themselves. 

This guy is going to burn out.  Don't kid yourself, he wants a championship badly and is failing miserably. It's eating him up.  He will be having mental health issues, soon 

That was a big play sure. I would submit several calls that went against Texas made a bigger cumulative  impact (calls that I haven’t seen a single ISU fan even acknowledge much less your bitchass HC):
2 blatant uncalled PIs on ISU that kept us out of the end zone 
2 weakass holding calls on Texas that took away big gains especially on the kick
Blatant “missed” facemask call vs ISU

I can only imagine the reaction if a non UT fan made this post.
  • Fuck You 3