🤘Big Bertha

Celery Man

7 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

So what was wrong with the old drum? this is the aggiest thing ever...  lol. 

I don’t think they said explicitly but I expect it is related to OG Bertha having been built when A&M was on the cusp of winning a few national championships

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

We are the University of Texas.  We should be the best at anything we choose to do.  If that means having the biggest drum in the world then so be it.

Aggy would claim it without it being true or would embarrass our great State along the way.  Don't confuse us with them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Buncha frikin non LHB nerds up in here! Bertha was bought from University of Chicago for $1 in the 50's and quickly became an icon of UT and LHB. Fun trivia about Bertha - she was probably under Chicago's stadium when they were first splitting the atom with CP-1, also under the stadium lol.

This year marked Bertha's 100th birthday and retirement, because she had a load of miles on her (multiple presidential inauguration parades, rose parades, etc etc) and was a hundred year old drum lol. Bertha II has a much more robust build and is made from modern materials with travel and football games in mind, and will proudly count out our touchdowns for generations to come 🤘

Did you put Big Bertha in your ass at band camp?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I clicked on the Fox tweet because I was wondering g who would reply to such a tweet- and the answer is apparently trombone players.  Talking about the trombones. 

Why the fuck would their social media people tweet that and not a video of someone, you know, actually hitting the fucking drum? That's all we want to see.

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

I was at the game, and it sounds like BB original was just getting too hard to maintain. Ie if you have to replace so much, is it even the same drum anymore? And no, the Aggiest thing ever is Purdue claiming theirs is the biggest because it’s the “tallest” when you include the carriage

• Hook 'Em 3

Big Bertha will have a permanent spot in the Frank Denius Family University of Texas Athletics Hall of Fame after the game on Saturday

Links with more info:

https://news.utexas.edu/2022/10/15/big-bertha-ii-largest-bass-drum-in-the-world-to-make-debut-at-texas-iowa-state-game/

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/longhorn-band-big-bertha-17509567.php

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

I thought I heard the Bertha I will go in the hall of fame just like Smokey II, but haven’t seen that published anywhere.

If they were gonna set it out on the curb during bulk pickup I was going to volunteer to come pick it up. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, OrangEngr said:

I was at the game, and it sounds like BB original was just getting too hard to maintain. Ie if you have to replace so much, is it even the same drum anymore? And no, the Aggiest thing ever is Purdue claiming theirs is the biggest because it’s the “tallest” when you include the carriage

The Big Ass Drum of Theseus

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

They made a nice little history booklet on Bertha and gave it out to LHAB members, there's some pretty cool photography and stories from shipping it to London in 2015 for the New Year's Day parade, Bertha's featured role in the John Philip Sousa biopic "Star and Stripes Forever", and her many many refurbishments that were funded by selling the old parts that fell off over the years.

20221016_164529.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7

9 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

This is the dumbest post ever.

8 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I don’t think they said explicitly but I expect it is related to OG Bertha having been built when A&M was on the cusp of winning their only national championship

Fify.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I really want like 10+ of them encircling the field and banging in concert to raise intensity like drums of war.

My wife has heard me mumble to myself, “Keys, Phone, Wallet, Ring” when I’m taking inventory before leaving the house. Been doing it for years since TOS. You’ve saved my ass more than once, kind sir. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Oakbrook said:

Big Bertha will have a permanent spot in the Frank Denius Family University of Texas Athletics Hall of Fame after the game on Saturday

Links with more info:

https://news.utexas.edu/2022/10/15/big-bertha-ii-largest-bass-drum-in-the-world-to-make-debut-at-texas-iowa-state-game/

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/longhorn-band-big-bertha-17509567.php

“The drum was manufactured with a proprietary material with aluminum, and it will be wired with an internal mic system that will allow it to wirelessly connect to the stadium sound system.”

Why don’t they just name it Big Bob Cole. 

On 10/16/2022 at 8:55 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

My wife has heard me mumble to myself, “Keys, Phone, Wallet, Ring” when I’m taking inventory before leaving the house. Been doing it for years since TOS. You’ve saved my ass more than once, kind sir. 

LOL, I thought I was the only one who did that. 
And yes, I think of @KeysPhoneWallet every time.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, SlingeroGuitaro said:

Is it just me or is this just not good? The beginning looks and sounds like a high school band.

I can assure you, it went better then it did during rehearsal at 6:45 on Saturday morning lol. That halftime performance was the second end to end run through, and the first to actually play combined with LHB - AND - that old dude talked so long we didn't get to play the Eyes as we had rehearsed that morning. There was a real "fuck it, we'll do it live" vibe lol. Everything was running behind schedule and not smoothly during the rehearsal and moving from A to B throughout the day, but it was a blast and fun and nostalgic as hell to be on DKR again. 

Real talk though, COVID was rough on LHB as an institution. They basically had two years of no games for upperclassmen to pass traditions down, so everything is a little off as they get the flywheel spinning again. 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1