What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston? Non-CR thread

crash_davis

On 8/8/2023 at 2:21 PM, Brothahorn said:

Traffic. More people equal more cars. Traffic in Houston is crazy already. And it's not like we have any realistic public transportation.

And if they did attempt public transportation, it would be another useless train that circles downtown.

We'll just end up with a 20 lane Katy Freeway and more toll roads. All of which won't be finished until 2150, at the earliest.

I’ve ridden Metro a couple times. A lot of international students and people going to restaurant jobs. Some homeless. Always homeless. But it serves a purpose. 

I don’t know if there’s a good solution. People need to run errands during their lunch break. They need to go to dental/medical appointments during work hours. Cars allow you to do that on your schedule. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ve ridden Metro a couple times. A lot of international students and people going to restaurant jobs. Some homeless. Always homeless. But it serves a purpose. 

I don’t know if there’s a good solution. People need to run errands during their lunch break. They need to go to dental/medical appointments during work hours. Cars allow you to do that on your schedule. 

Metro is just too slow. I looked into MetroRail for my work commute, even understanding that it would require a park n ride and some walking. Altogether it was more than double the time to just drive my car. No thanks.  You need elevated or underground options to make it worthwhile.

For Houston, the die was cast when they removed the electrified streetcars over 100 years ago. The car won. I imagine that integrated seating in the 50s and 60s didn't help with bus ridership. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Metro is just too slow. I looked into MetroRail for my work commute, even understanding that it would require a park n ride and some walking. Altogether it was more than double the time to just drive my car. No thanks.  You need elevated or underground options to make it worthwhile.

For Houston, the die was cast when they removed the electrified streetcars over 100 years ago. The car won. I imagine that integrated seating in the 50s and 60s didn't help with bus ridership. 

Yep. Metro is slow. If they ran within a 10 minute range of on time, I think more people would use it. If I’m not in a hurry and I don’t want to Uber I’ll ride Metro. It’s really not bad if you have noise canceling AirPods. 

On 8/11/2023 at 12:39 PM, Foosters said:

Didn't know where else to put this, and I thought some of you native Houstonians would appreciate this. My father, in his 70s, has one of the more remarkable memories of any person I've ever encountered. He remembers the smallest of details from his childhood. As a gift, we got him a "subscription" to "StoryWorth," a company that sends out journaling prompts, and inspires the recipient to respond. In a way, its to memorialize his memories. Anyway, in response to "tell us about your grandparents" he responded with the below. A look at Houston in the 1950's and 60's. Its almost unrecognizable. 

Man, I love this especially since I know that area well.  What's funny is I read it and envisioned Briagrove Park and then realized he was talking about Briagrove which is four miles closer to town.  Reminds me of a conversation I had with someone about our old neighborhood in Houston... when they bought a house there in the 50s, people thought they were crazy because it was past what was then called Camp Hudson... a boy scout camp which is where areas like Hudson Oaks and Hudson Bend are now located.

This is before my time but https://www.hudsonoakstownhomessection2.com/remembering-camp-hudson/ 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Apparently we've got gypsies in Garden Oaks. Saw a post on FB today of some Roma ladies stealing shit from a clothing store on 34th. 

A few years back, some Garden Oaks elderly residents got ripped off by some door-to-door contractors who got cash upfront to go buy constructions materials, and they never returned. I can't speak to their ethnicity but that has been noted as a common scam Roma con artists pull.

On 8/11/2023 at 12:39 PM, Foosters said:

Didn't know where else to put this, and I thought some of you native Houstonians would appreciate this. My father, in his 70s, has one of the more remarkable memories of any person I've ever encountered. He remembers the smallest of details from his childhood. As a gift, we got him a "subscription" to "StoryWorth," a company that sends out journaling prompts, and inspires the recipient to respond. In a way, its to memorialize his memories. Anyway, in response to "tell us about your grandparents" he responded with the below. A look at Houston in the 1950's and 60's. Its almost unrecognizable. 

What could have been for Westheimer west of the Galleria. If they had built single family homes instead of a million apartments there would be much nicer neighborhoods and businesses. 

Also, no zoning sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

And you only smell your farts.

I remember riding Metro with one of my aunts back in the late 70's. I thought it would be cool. Boy was I wrong.

But I guess it depends on your route. Taking that Woodlands express is going to be wholly different than riding from Lockwood to Mesa.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

As mentioned in this thread or another about Houston drivers:

Just because you have a green light doesn’t mean go. You need to pay attention to all the other crazy fucks.

Driving in Houston is a life or death endeavor. Don’t fuck around and find out.

especially at 2am on a weekend 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/12/2023 at 12:00 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

As mentioned in this thread or another about Houston drivers:

Just because you have a green light doesn’t mean go. You need to pay attention to all the other crazy fucks.

Driving in Houston is a life or death endeavor. Don’t fuck around and find out.

On 11/12/2023 at 1:03 AM, Mez2 said:

Sad to say, but when I got the green light and I'm at the front of the line, I pause maybe 1 or 2 secs before I actually drive. I just don't trust others to catch a light when they don't have to

On 11/12/2023 at 6:07 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Anyone who doesn’t do that in Houston has a death wish.

Always, always look both ways on green when in Houston.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 8:09 PM, royiv said:

First Crackdonald's and now the Greyhound station. Where are people going to go to get their drugs and videos of bum fights?

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/transportation/2023/11/29/470896/midtown-greyhound-bus-services-to-end-thursday-property-still-listed-for-sale/

keep this shit out of my neighborhood 

First Crackdonald's and now the Greyhound station. Where are people going to go to get their drugs and videos of bum fights?

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/transportation/2023/11/29/470896/midtown-greyhound-bus-services-to-end-thursday-property-still-listed-for-sale/

I pass this on the way to my menudo spot, damn it's already sketch city. lot of people just hanging around, sitting around. zero hpd, metro pd was at the station that's right there. 

Is nothing sacred?

About 20 years ago right after law school, I lived in a townhouse right off Caroline and Webster near the bus stop.  Thank God the little 3-plex was gated.  It was a New Orleans style place with 3 levels and balconies on the top 2 floors.

My roommate and I used to sit out on the balcony drinking and watch the drug deals go down.  Was a really nice building in the heart of Hamsterdam.

• 4 weeks later...

The light rail could have been so sweet, but in the end, the COH fucked it all up. Fares are on the honor system, so naturally the unhoused take full advantage of free climate controlled transportation. You're supposed to pay on the platform, but there's no way to verify or enforce it. Imagine the worst subway car you've ever been in New York City. That's every single ride on the light rail. Homeless guy walking up and down the car asking people for money or a cigarette? Check. Homeless guy asleep (?). Check. Homeless guy beat boxing to himself? Check. 

I feel bad for nurses and hospital support staff that have to ride this turd to get to work. I think visitors to the national championship game are in for an eye opening experience. 

I don't know what a good solution is. A NYC/DC Metro turnstile won't work as the platforms on street level. It would be like herding cats and extremely expensive to check everybody's ticket like an Amtrak. Maybe one Metro cop on each train might be doable. That wouldn't be a fun job kicking bums off of the train all day. 

I do like the layout and functionality. It runs along the main arteries of the city, and there's usually a train every 6 minutes during normal hours. Downtown and Medical Center workers desperately need mass transit to work. So do the Texans and the Rodeo. I hope they can figure this out. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The light rail could have been so sweet, but in the end, the COH fucked it all up. Fares are on the honor system, so naturally the unhoused take full advantage of free climate controlled transportation. You're supposed to pay on the platform, but there's no way to verify or enforce it. Imagine the worst subway car you've ever been in New York City. That's every single ride on the light rail. Homeless guy walking up and down the car asking people for money or a cigarette? Check. Homeless guy asleep (?). Check. Homeless guy beat boxing to himself? Check. 

I feel bad for nurses and hospital support staff that have to ride this turd to get to work. I think visitors to the national championship game are in for an eye opening experience. 

I don't know what a good solution is. A NYC/DC Metro turnstile won't work as the platforms on street level. It would be like herding cats and extremely expensive to check everybody's ticket like an Amtrak. Maybe one Metro cop on each train might be doable. That wouldn't be a fun job kicking bums off of the train all day. 

I do like the layout and functionality. It runs along the main arteries of the city, and there's usually a train every 6 minutes during normal hours. Downtown and Medical Center workers desperately need mass transit to work. So do the Texans and the Rodeo. I hope they can figure this out. 

what about an app like they do for concert tickets.

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

what about an app like they do for concert tickets.

Sure anything would be better than they now. I think the easiest solution would probably be an app. If your phone is on the train, it bills you for a ride. Probably gets a vast majority of riders to pay which increases funding for enforcement/bum control. Offer monthly and annual passes/discounts for subscriptions like NYC and DC. 

It would solve a lot of problems on the buses too. The drivers have so much shit going on in rush hour that they can't yell at people to scan their Metro cards. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Apple Wallet and Google Play will work soon. Looks like you can also tap your credit card.

"Officials considered removing cash […] but relented after an analysis determined many riders still use dollar bills and coins to board buses"

https://www.nfcw.com/transit-ticketing-today/houston-to-expand-mobile-ticketing-options/

Edited by mycox

The I45 rebuild is starting this year and the overall project won't be complete until 2042. The downtown area will be complete by 2035. I'm already turning into an old man but I may be moving into an old folks' home by 2042 when this is over.  And I bet 2042 is best case.

IH45 rebuild - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The I45 rebuild is starting this year and the overall project won't be complete until 2042. The downtown area will be complete by 2035. I'm already turning into an old man but I may be moving into an old folks' home by 2042 when this is over.  And I bet 2042 is best case.

IH45 rebuild - Copy.JPG

More lanes for which Houstonians can road rage and shoot each other. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

IH45 rebuild - Copy.JPG

most cold blooded

On 11/16/2023 at 4:45 PM, gmr548 said:

Always, always look both ways on green when in Houston. any metro Texas area.

FIFM. Houston is not the only city I've almost been thankful I was second in line at the traffic light.

On 11/16/2023 at 5:11 PM, Brothahorn said:

Saw a scene today, where the driver who had the green light got tired of waiting on the drivers turning left and he basically said F it. The dude squeezed through maybe a 6-inch gap between a diesel truck and a car. Hell of a way to prove a point.

I don't drive daily in Houston but I'm there frequently along with the Austin and Dallas metro areas as well. I eventually got used to lane splitting (with motorcycles) driving in LA traffic but sure has given me a startle when it's happened here in Texas. The last time it happened I was certain I was going to see a brain stain on the pavement because that rider was not only helmet-less, he did it in the stupidest way possible. ( I know it isn't supposed to happen here but it do, it sure sure do)

16 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

FIFM. Houston is not the only city I've almost been thankful I was second in line at the traffic light.

I don't drive daily in Houston but I'm there frequently along with the Austin and Dallas metro areas as well. I eventually got used to lane splitting (with motorcycles) driving in LA traffic but sure has given me a startle when it's happened here in Texas. The last time it happened I was certain I was going to see a brain stain on the pavement because that rider was not only helmet-less, he did it in the stupidest way possible. ( I know it isn't supposed to happen here but it do, it sure sure do)

They only recently (September I think) made lane splitting formally illegal in Texas.  I ride myself, and have never lane split in Texas as cops would nail you for reckless driving even before they formally outlawed lane splitting.  In Austin, we have a ton of California transplants.  You combine that with a complete lack of traffic policing (none at all) and you get a ton of lane splitting happening here.  I don't really blame the transplants, it's what they're used to.  The way moron car and truck drivers around here can't stay in their lane even when they're not staring at their phone, I wouldn't risk it personally. 

If I were king for a day, I'd have unmarked enforcement driving up and down 2222 between Mopac and 360, noting every single person who ventures outside of their lane.  They would all lose their driving privileges for life.  If you can't keep a truck between the lines, much less a sedan, you don't deserve to drive.  I drive or ride that stretch of road daily and can't believe how shitty most drivers are.  If we properly tested people before giving them a license, half the drivers, at least, would be off the road (traffic congestion solved)!  If you see an angry man leaning out of his window trying to give another driver a piece of his mind on that stretch of road, it's probably me.  Too many assholes have damn near killed my kids on the way to school because they can't be bothered to pay attention while they drive (or simply lack the basic driving skills necessary to maintain control of a vehicle on a slightly curvy road).  I would also take out the assholes on motorcycles generating all the noise pollution late at night racing up and down that same stretch of road.  They make the rest of us look bad.

EDIT TO ADD: And to get back on topic -  Houston drivers suck too.

Edited by Samson's Wig
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, your reasoning for not doing it makes sense. Houston and its metro, Austin etc I see the cars that can't follow the curve of the road and a good percentage of the time they're on their phone. Worst one I saw this past year was 290 eastbound near Cypress and the guy was driving his truck with no hands on the steering wheel--he was holding his phone and typing something (lol, probably on a message board having to get the last word). Hit the pedal and got as far away as I could.

• Hook 'Em 2