Fake Paper Plates (License Plates, the Vic Food Thread is in Lulz)

Jimbaround

On 6/13/2018 at 8:31 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

And still, i can print my insurance card from home.  I could easily edit the dates ,names and vins.  

I was thinking eventually the powerful insurance companies would get tired of covering uninsured drivers and lobby the state  to be able to xyz said.  Or at least garnish their wages.

The powerful insurance companies don't cover uninsured drivers.  We suckers who pay for insurance pay for uninsured drivers.

Someone referenced 25% not having coverage.  In New Mexico that number is closer to 75%.  It's fucking nuts.

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

https://abc13.com/tag-youre-it-the-harris-county-toll-road-authority-fake-tags-paper-plates/11681357/

The Harris County Toll Road Authority has issued more than 1,100 citations to drivers with fraudulent paper plates in March.

In January, they launched the "Tag You're It" campaign targeting those drivers.

Man I bet they're lining right up to pay those ominous citations so they don't get in trouble! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 8:30 PM, Auto Driller said:

Car sales incur state tax. Therefore, a paper plate should never exist without a corresponding tax transaction.

In order to generate a temporary paper plate, you need a tax confirmation generated when the payment is made to the state.

My consulting fee is negotiable.

How about Tree Fiddy?

During the ice storm I slid off the road in my newer car and the damage was worse than I thought. Shit actually started falling off and it was undrivable. So yesterday I was scrambling to get my old car back on the road. Got a new battery, got it inspected and when I went to the Bridgeport Tax Office they were gone to lunch and it was an hour before they got back. I had to get to bed, so I registered it online. Hitch is you have to wait on the mail for the sticker. But my registration was paid.
OK, scene set.
I'm driving the old car to work last night and when I go past the old Yesterday's restaurant I see 2 DPS sitting in the dark parking lot. I knew what was coming even though there was no way they could see my sticker, much less read my plates at random with the naked eye. Sure enough by the time I got to James Wood one of them was trailing me. I got pulled over at NRS. First question, "Do you know your registration is expired?"
Fortunately, I always prepare for the worst (Semper Paratus) and had my inspection receipt and a copy of my online payment. It didn't hurt I'm a 60 year old white guy with short hair wearing a suit. He let me go without a warning, but I wasn't the fish they were trolling for.
Point of the whole story is a plate reader snagged me from 80 yards away, in the dark, while I was going 55. We're doomed.
Figured a guy with the name RPM would be hauling ass, not put putting along.

55 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
On 2/10/2022 at 11:56 AM, RPM said:
During the ice storm I slid off the road in my newer car and the damage was worse than I thought. Shit actually started falling off and it was undrivable. So yesterday I was scrambling to get my old car back on the road. Got a new battery, got it inspected and when I went to the Bridgeport Tax Office they were gone to lunch and it was an hour before they got back. I had to get to bed, so I registered it online. Hitch is you have to wait on the mail for the sticker. But my registration was paid.
OK, scene set.
I'm driving the old car to work last night and when I go past the old Yesterday's restaurant I see 2 DPS sitting in the dark parking lot. I knew what was coming even though there was no way they could see my sticker, much less read my plates at random with the naked eye. Sure enough by the time I got to James Wood one of them was trailing me. I got pulled over at NRS. First question, "Do you know your registration is expired?"
Fortunately, I always prepare for the worst (Semper Paratus) and had my inspection receipt and a copy of my online payment. It didn't hurt I'm a 60 year old white guy with short hair wearing a suit. He let me go without a warning, but I wasn't the fish they were trolling for.
Point of the whole story is a plate reader snagged me from 80 yards away, in the dark, while I was going 55. We're doomed.

Figured a guy with the name RPM would be hauling ass, not put putting along.

Not my first time through Decatur.

• Like 1

The cops can tell online whether your inspection is current and if your insurance is active. Actually got pulled over on TX 14 in one of the speed trap towns for going 20 over. I hadn’t put my new window sticker on yet because I was waiting to replace the windshield. Cop gave me a ticket for expired registration instead of speeding and told me to email the court a pic of the current sticker and they would waive it /csb

eta if you renew online even though they accept your money right away it may not show as “renewed” in the system for a few days. 

Edited by Sawbonz

I have some experience with this from several years back when the changes away from the tags that dealers had to color in the boxes to the printed ones....including contacting state legislators offices (and the administrator at one realizing she had the same exact issues I was facing, but she had never put it together until talking to me) and contacting the county, state DMV, and talking with a retired DPS officer that contracted with the DMV to investigate dealer tag fraud (he was only empowered to enforce against dealers not individuals)

here was the first issue when the original printed plates came out they either did not have an expiration date (I think at first it was none) on them at all or it was printed in size 4 print and using wing dings as a font.....so there was not a chance in hell the police could see the tag was expired (I think the second iteration of plates had the small expiration date printed in wing dings)....of course there was no make, model, or even paint color on the tag either

the cops do have ALPRs that can scan tags automatically, but of course that does not work on printed paper tags

the next issue was that counties were only suppose to issue one tag and one extension no matter what......but no one enforced that so crack heads ect would ride a tag (with no expiration date or an illegible one) for 5 or 6 months until it was faded garbage and then go in and get a new one......so while getting a plate for a year was $70 dollars or whatever the temp tag was $25 or something like that......normal people math says well $25 X 2 a year is $50 dollars why not cough up the extra $20 and just get the full year.....crack head mats says when you get $70 dollars and you HAVE TO get a new tag because your old one is totally destroyed why not spend $25 right then on the tag and spend the other $45 on crack......all the more so when the wrecked out and beat to fuck bucket of shit you are driving might not even be still drive-able in 3 months much less 5 or 6.....that is how you knew so many of these tags were fake because they were on piles of shit that even the least reputable dealer on earth would not sell because of the massive liability.....I mean does any car dealer anywhere have a car on the lot with the front fascia scraping the tires and the muffler dragging the ground and the side view mirror hanging by the wires and 85 dents in it and a cracked out taillight

so the state never enforced that some counties were just taking whatever money they could get and giving paper tag extensions for months or years....I believe they TRY and enforce that now

the next issue was that of course people can just print their own by taking a photo on their phone and printing it at home.....the first series of plates I believe had no make or model on them (not hard to change in paint anyway) and I believe no VIN number (again not hard to change) and of course no bar code or QC code that could be scanned and not easily faked in paint

the retired DPS officer I talked to told me a story of a father in Kansas that had a daughter that was dating a loser that had a silver Dodge Ram truck with paper Texas plates and the dad was doing anything and everything to run the guy off......every 4 or 5 months the loser would go back to Amarillo and come home with a new paper tag so the dad was asking him WTF what is Texas doing.....the officer got the tag number and it went to a dealer in Amarillo so he rolled up to the dealership one day......in Texas to have a dealers license you need a lot that can hold X number of cars, a physical building that cannot be a part of a home or residence, the lot cannot be part of a residential lot, you need a desk, two chairs, a phone on that desk, and when you dial the dealers number that phone has to ring at that desk and there has to be someone there to answer that phone at that desk all the hours you are stated that you are open (yes the details are that specific and Texas does enforce them though some of them might have changed a bit over time)

the officer went to that dealership on like a Tuesday and rolled up and there was no one there so he called the number and he could tell the call was being forwarded and someone answered on a cell phone and he told them who he was and what he was doing and ask them why there was no one at their lot during posted business hours and they gave him some BS about "being at the auction" which he explained to them was not a valid excuse and that he would be turning them in for that violation and then ask if they had a silver Dodge Ram with that plate number on the lot and where is it and they said they did and it it was not on the lot it was stolen and they would be right over.....well he went and looked and it was on the lot....so the loser guy was simply going by that lot every time he was in town and making sure that truck was still there and then printing a new plate and of course Kansas had no real way to track those pile of shit plates because even Texas could no do it.....the good news is for the dad when the officer called back and said yes the loser is just printing a new plate for a truck that matches his and there is nothing I can do other than tell his police contacts because it was individual fraud not dealer related the dad said the loser had been arrested for something else and his jail time would be longer than his daughter would wait for a guy.....the officer said glad it worked out and thanks and I did get some dealer fraud from your tip thanks form that

that officer did run some plates for me and said that all of them were 6 months out of date or longer or did not match the cars they were on or both and he would tell his connections where I was living, but it was out of his hands from there because not dealer related

shortly after that the issues I was having were alleviated another way and I kind of forgot about it, but I did see a decrease in paper tags in my area overall (I think my county cracked down more) and I did see clear and legible expiration dates on the tags and bar codes and make and model and year.....but of course all but the bar code can be fake

I am not sure when I was having the issue if individuals could log on themselves and print a legal tag I think a dealer had to do it or the county not surprising the fuckwits that kicked all this off let people start logging on themselves and screwed up the verification process where it was meaningless....but lets be honest most crack smokers and meth heads are just taking a photo of a tag on a car similar to their sand printing that they are not logging in to shit

which gets to the last issue and that is cops that just do not want to fuck with junk cars that should not be on the road no matter what tag they have legal or not and that do not want to deal with no insurance, no registration, no license, and no inspection (probably more than one of those at a time if not all 4).....it is just too much hassle and too much paper work for no "payoff" and of course as exclaimed in this thread some cities have a "what about the poor" attitude as if being poor means you just get to fuck off all responsibility and go around in piles of unsafe shit smashing into others with no liability and no care or responsibility

I would imaging in some suburbs of DFW it is well known to not even drive in them with a paper tag unless it is legit because you will get pulled over and your shit taken while in places like Houston (much less surrounded by suburbs), Austin, dallas proper, El Paso, and San Antonio the cops are told to mostly leave that shit alone and concentrate on "real crimes".....while ignoring the fact that it is rarely "just a good hard working poor person down on their luck this week" in those piles of shit it si mostly hard core addicts and thieves driving wasted out of their mind (which is why the car has 85 dents and shit torn off of it left and right) and dealing, stealing, robbing, and just in general causing mayhem and crime

as best I can tell it ebbs and flows they make changes and then the hard core trash figures it out or the cops just get tired of dealing with it or they are told to leave it alone again until it gets out of hand again and someone gets killed in a bad wreck or killed in a purse snatching and it gets out the drivers are habitual offenders and the vehicle was well known and no one was going after them even though they were all over the roads at all hours of the day and night

I never even looked as much into what the dealers are doing with all of this, but I can only imagine that is equally out of control and costing millions a month in lost sales taxes and dealer frees and registrations....."curb stoning" which is the act of not transferring title into your name (or your dealership name) and instead keeping it in the name of the person you bought the car from and then flipping the car for a profit is getting way out of hand I know and often it is someone that has a "relative" with a dealership or dealers license, but this car is "such a good deal" that they want to sell it on facebook and meet you at a walmart to do the transaction instead of at the dealer lot.....and of course title washing for salvage vehicles (something Texas used to be good about enforcing) is much easier now if you curb stone as if vin changing and mileage fraud...and of course tax and registration fee fraud

Texas does now have the option to keep the plates when you sell a car and they have the option (but not sure a requirement yet) to log on and take the vehicle out of your name after you sell it even if you do not keep the plates....I would recommend doing both to anyone and everyone unless you want issues......this goes double for a commercial vehicle that Texas taxes as business property otherwise it will be on you to prove you no longer own the car and I do not think lack of current registration is proof enough to get you out of being taxed on it if the car is still registered in your name.....I had this happen many years ago when I sold a truck that is now retired in Mexico (Ojinaga).....I got a tax bill a year or two later, but at that time because the system to notify a sale was only just established and was not even in place when I sold it telling them it was in Mexico now and they could see there was no registration and no tickets on that truck for over 2 years and I could sign a form and get out of the taxes....I do not think that works now

Edited by ButtFumble

Saw a shitty driver yesterday, noticed he had a paper plate, and thought of this thread.  As he exited, I noticed the vehicle in front of him also had a paper plate.  Laughed at fucking Houston. Few minutes later, I pass that guy and the third vehicle…paper plates.  Fuck outta here man.  Feel like I’m the only one paying registration up in here. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 2:33 AM, ButtFumble said:

I have some experience with this from several years back when the changes away from the tags that dealers had to color in the boxes to the printed ones....including contacting state legislators offices (and the administrator at one realizing she had the same exact issues I was facing, but she had never put it together until talking to me) and contacting the county, state DMV, and talking with a retired DPS officer that contracted with the DMV to investigate dealer tag fraud (he was only empowered to enforce against dealers not individuals)

here was the first issue when the original printed plates came out they either did not have an expiration date (I think at first it was none) on them at all or it was printed in size 4 print and using wing dings as a font.....so there was not a chance in hell the police could see the tag was expired (I think the second iteration of plates had the small expiration date printed in wing dings)....of course there was no make, model, or even paint color on the tag either

the cops do have ALPRs that can scan tags automatically, but of course that does not work on printed paper tags

the next issue was that counties were only suppose to issue one tag and one extension no matter what......but no one enforced that so crack heads ect would ride a tag (with no expiration date or an illegible one) for 5 or 6 months until it was faded garbage and then go in and get a new one......so while getting a plate for a year was $70 dollars or whatever the temp tag was $25 or something like that......normal people math says well $25 X 2 a year is $50 dollars why not cough up the extra $20 and just get the full year.....crack head mats says when you get $70 dollars and you HAVE TO get a new tag because your old one is totally destroyed why not spend $25 right then on the tag and spend the other $45 on crack......all the more so when the wrecked out and beat to fuck bucket of shit you are driving might not even be still drive-able in 3 months much less 5 or 6.....that is how you knew so many of these tags were fake because they were on piles of shit that even the least reputable dealer on earth would not sell because of the massive liability.....I mean does any car dealer anywhere have a car on the lot with the front fascia scraping the tires and the muffler dragging the ground and the side view mirror hanging by the wires and 85 dents in it and a cracked out taillight

so the state never enforced that some counties were just taking whatever money they could get and giving paper tag extensions for months or years....I believe they TRY and enforce that now

the next issue was that of course people can just print their own by taking a photo on their phone and printing it at home.....the first series of plates I believe had no make or model on them (not hard to change in paint anyway) and I believe no VIN number (again not hard to change) and of course no bar code or QC code that could be scanned and not easily faked in paint

the retired DPS officer I talked to told me a story of a father in Kansas that had a daughter that was dating a loser that had a silver Dodge Ram truck with paper Texas plates and the dad was doing anything and everything to run the guy off......every 4 or 5 months the loser would go back to Amarillo and come home with a new paper tag so the dad was asking him WTF what is Texas doing.....the officer got the tag number and it went to a dealer in Amarillo so he rolled up to the dealership one day......in Texas to have a dealers license you need a lot that can hold X number of cars, a physical building that cannot be a part of a home or residence, the lot cannot be part of a residential lot, you need a desk, two chairs, a phone on that desk, and when you dial the dealers number that phone has to ring at that desk and there has to be someone there to answer that phone at that desk all the hours you are stated that you are open (yes the details are that specific and Texas does enforce them though some of them might have changed a bit over time)

the officer went to that dealership on like a Tuesday and rolled up and there was no one there so he called the number and he could tell the call was being forwarded and someone answered on a cell phone and he told them who he was and what he was doing and ask them why there was no one at their lot during posted business hours and they gave him some BS about "being at the auction" which he explained to them was not a valid excuse and that he would be turning them in for that violation and then ask if they had a silver Dodge Ram with that plate number on the lot and where is it and they said they did and it it was not on the lot it was stolen and they would be right over.....well he went and looked and it was on the lot....so the loser guy was simply going by that lot every time he was in town and making sure that truck was still there and then printing a new plate and of course Kansas had no real way to track those pile of shit plates because even Texas could no do it.....the good news is for the dad when the officer called back and said yes the loser is just printing a new plate for a truck that matches his and there is nothing I can do other than tell his police contacts because it was individual fraud not dealer related the dad said the loser had been arrested for something else and his jail time would be longer than his daughter would wait for a guy.....the officer said glad it worked out and thanks and I did get some dealer fraud from your tip thanks form that

that officer did run some plates for me and said that all of them were 6 months out of date or longer or did not match the cars they were on or both and he would tell his connections where I was living, but it was out of his hands from there because not dealer related

shortly after that the issues I was having were alleviated another way and I kind of forgot about it, but I did see a decrease in paper tags in my area overall (I think my county cracked down more) and I did see clear and legible expiration dates on the tags and bar codes and make and model and year.....but of course all but the bar code can be fake

I am not sure when I was having the issue if individuals could log on themselves and print a legal tag I think a dealer had to do it or the county not surprising the fuckwits that kicked all this off let people start logging on themselves and screwed up the verification process where it was meaningless....but lets be honest most crack smokers and meth heads are just taking a photo of a tag on a car similar to their sand printing that they are not logging in to shit

which gets to the last issue and that is cops that just do not want to fuck with junk cars that should not be on the road no matter what tag they have legal or not and that do not want to deal with no insurance, no registration, no license, and no inspection (probably more than one of those at a time if not all 4).....it is just too much hassle and too much paper work for no "payoff" and of course as exclaimed in this thread some cities have a "what about the poor" attitude as if being poor means you just get to fuck off all responsibility and go around in piles of unsafe shit smashing into others with no liability and no care or responsibility

I would imaging in some suburbs of DFW it is well known to not even drive in them with a paper tag unless it is legit because you will get pulled over and your shit taken while in places like Houston (much less surrounded by suburbs), Austin, dallas proper, El Paso, and San Antonio the cops are told to mostly leave that shit alone and concentrate on "real crimes".....while ignoring the fact that it is rarely "just a good hard working poor person down on their luck this week" in those piles of shit it si mostly hard core addicts and thieves driving wasted out of their mind (which is why the car has 85 dents and shit torn off of it left and right) and dealing, stealing, robbing, and just in general causing mayhem and crime

as best I can tell it ebbs and flows they make changes and then the hard core trash figures it out or the cops just get tired of dealing with it or they are told to leave it alone again until it gets out of hand again and someone gets killed in a bad wreck or killed in a purse snatching and it gets out the drivers are habitual offenders and the vehicle was well known and no one was going after them even though they were all over the roads at all hours of the day and night

I never even looked as much into what the dealers are doing with all of this, but I can only imagine that is equally out of control and costing millions a month in lost sales taxes and dealer frees and registrations....."curb stoning" which is the act of not transferring title into your name (or your dealership name) and instead keeping it in the name of the person you bought the car from and then flipping the car for a profit is getting way out of hand I know and often it is someone that has a "relative" with a dealership or dealers license, but this car is "such a good deal" that they want to sell it on facebook and meet you at a walmart to do the transaction instead of at the dealer lot.....and of course title washing for salvage vehicles (something Texas used to be good about enforcing) is much easier now if you curb stone as if vin changing and mileage fraud...and of course tax and registration fee fraud

Texas does now have the option to keep the plates when you sell a car and they have the option (but not sure a requirement yet) to log on and take the vehicle out of your name after you sell it even if you do not keep the plates....I would recommend doing both to anyone and everyone unless you want issues......this goes double for a commercial vehicle that Texas taxes as business property otherwise it will be on you to prove you no longer own the car and I do not think lack of current registration is proof enough to get you out of being taxed on it if the car is still registered in your name.....I had this happen many years ago when I sold a truck that is now retired in Mexico (Ojinaga).....I got a tax bill a year or two later, but at that time because the system to notify a sale was only just established and was not even in place when I sold it telling them it was in Mexico now and they could see there was no registration and no tickets on that truck for over 2 years and I could sign a form and get out of the taxes....I do not think that works now

How much cocaine did you snort?

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Saw a shitty driver yesterday, noticed he had a paper plate, and thought of this thread.  As he exited, I noticed the vehicle in front of him also had a paper plate.  Laughed at fucking Houston. Few minutes later, I pass that guy and the third vehicle…paper plates.  Fuck outta here man.  Feel like I’m the only one paying registration up in here. 

Don't forget about insurance...not a chance they're paying insurance on that 2009 Corolla with 326,475 miles rolling on 2 spares and the back window shot out

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Don't forget about insurance...not a chance they're paying insurance on that 2009 Corolla with 326,475 miles rolling on 2 spares and the back window shot out

Much like healthcare and ER costs, if you're paying for car insurance you're subsidizing all the folks who aren't paying for it. I know my plan has a $25 "uninsured driver coverage" optional flier on my monthly rate, and I've got no choice but to pay for it because all the worst drivers seem to be in old clapped out Camrys and Nissans with paper tags 

• Like 1

Saw this joke yesterday on 34th between Ella/TC Jester… that’s a whole year out. Amazing that nothing can be done about this  

1B12559F-F3E4-4A22-BBA5-DB23667E5DC9.thumb.jpeg.bfdf60904ed37b28472447bd339b8939.jpeg

That beats mine today. I saw an f150 with expiration June 2021 and I thought that was insane. Single cab. 2005ish and I am sure he had full coverage.

On 3/28/2022 at 2:33 AM, ButtFumble said:

Bob Sturm is that you?

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...
On 3/30/2022 at 3:45 PM, Deej said:

Wouldn't that be nice? Talk about solving some of the traffic issues. 

Impound vehicles with no registration and/or insurance and require actual driving tests once every couple of years, and you'd have Austin streets damn near empty.  One in every three (maybe two) vehicles on the road are being driven by someone with absolutely no business behind the wheel. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...