Texas vs oklahoma state - 2:30pm on ABC

Pancho

Just now, Longhornstampede said:

And now KSU is getting it done with a backup qb

It's almost as if Ewers was intentionally tanking his play, throwing the ball away at the drop of a hat, the ridiculous inaccuracy and not seeming to check down or telegraphing his intended target. That was just so bad it was unbelievable.

inconceivable-princessbride.gif

17 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I will say on most of the pass interference calls, our guys had their heads turned toward the ball.  Basically the B12 is saying if you touch a receiver and you’re a Longhorn, penalty.   Half their yards were PI.  That’s some bullshit.  

That early call against Watts was a bad call IMO and likewise I thought the one in the endzone where they said he climbed the WR. It didn't look like he pressed him at all. Thought it was a great play.

I thought a couple of the PI calls were valid. One against Barron where he stiff-armed his WR into the turf going towards the sideline. I think another where I believe it was Jamier Johnson pushed the WR. It was the one near the endzone where they thought the ball wasn't catchable. It was a dumb push. Have to time that right as the ball is caught and it was too far.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

That early call against Watts was a bad call IMO and likewise I thought the one in the endzone where they said he climbed the WR. It didn't look like he pressed him at all. Thought it was a great play.

I thought a couple of the PI calls were valid. One against Barron where he stiff-armed his WR into the turf going towards the sideline. I think another where I believe it was Jamier Johnson pushed the WR. It was the one near the endzone where they thought the ball wasn't catchable. It was a dumb push. Have to time that right as the ball is caught and it was too far.

Yeah the push was legit, even though he couldn’t have caught the ball.  But most of the others were crap.  

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Didn't Sark say *every player* would be singing the The Eyes of Texas after every game?

Ewers didn't play well, Sark didn't call a good game at all. For the life of me however, I can't understand why they didn't at least try putting Card out on field. This was a must win game for us to even sniff a Big 12 Championship, nothing should have been left off the table. If anything, give Ewers a chance to look at the game with a different perspective from the sideline. This look after the game is bad, it is starting to feel like perhaps the players are loosing trust in the coaching.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

There must be a lot of disfunction with the players and staff. That scuffle in the Horns' bench and skipping the eyes by quite a few of them is telling. You can't win much if you are not on the same page. Shit is going to be tough going the rest of the season. Fuck.

So much for that new culture. Same shit different year.

• Rage+1 1

This was one of those days that makes you long for the days of Case McCoy when you had a QB who could at least hit short passes.

Sark proved he is no Saban or Dabo.  Saban replaced his QB in the title game a few years back to come back against Georgia.  Dabo replaced his QB today to come back against Syracuse.  Ewers was having one of the worst days any Texas QB had ever had and Sark stuck with him.  He just didn't have it today.  And Sark showed why he is 7 win Sark.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, sith_horn said:

Had a chance, but couldn't hold it together. Really though, Texas didn't deserve to win today. Yeah, the refs screwed us, but way too sloppy today. We knew the refs would be against us. If we hadn't fucked the dog, they wouldn't have mattered. Sark should have pulled Ewers in the third and for most of the 4th. But since he didn't, I think it was appropriate to ride him on the last two possessions and see if he could pull it out. Card would have come in cold without being able to establish any rhythm at that point.

As bad as Ewers was and as porous as the defense was at that point, I had a bad feeling in the 1st half even at 31-17.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, bullet said:

As bad as Ewers was and as porous as the defense was at that point, I had a bad feeling in the 1st half even at 31-17.

Ironically, I was worried when RoJo broke off the 50 yard TD with 4:00 remaining. I was hoping we’d run 5-6 yards at a time so we could score and end the half without them getting another possession.

Little did I know that not only would they score a TD, but we were a couple of terrible Gundy clock management decisions away from them scoring TWICE in those 4 minutes.

We are really just the opposite of clutch.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, DreadHead said:

Didn't Sark say *every player* would be singing the The Eyes of Texas after every game?

Ewers didn't play well, Sark didn't call a good game at all. For the life of me however, I can't understand why they didn't at least try putting Card out on field. This was a must win game for us to even sniff a Big 12 Championship, nothing should have been left off the table. If anything, give Ewers a chance to look at the game with a different perspective from the sideline. This look after the game is bad, it is starting to feel like perhaps the players are loosing trust in the coaching.

I don't think Sark called the game badly. I think execution sucked and royally so. I highly agree with everything else you say. Ewers should have been pulled once it was evident he wasn't going to change his level of play and still have time enough to possibly salvage the game with Card. All those consecutive scoreless possessions broke the D. I think they would have played better with even a couple of sustained and scoring drives. I don't pretend to know what has been up with Ewers. He played off early against ISU and eventually steadied some, but he was way off today.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Thing is, within the context of the game, sanders could either just run or throw a ball downfield and get a guaranteed first down. 

1 minute ago, Jersey Man10 said:

I just don’t understand why? We fucked up ousux, finally beat Iowa state at home, and now we play on the road and it’s a complete shit show. Good teams battle through adversary. Ever since the first interception the whole team looked way off.

I don't know. But we kind of do this all the time. One step forward, two steps back. 

Last year we thought beating TCU on the road meant we had turned some kind of corner. Nope.

And who knows why this keeps happening? As you say it looked like a disaster out there. Everybody looked out of synch. Why? One would think crushing OU and gutting out a game we could have easily lost against Iowa State would have brought everybody together and lit a fire in there. Eyes on the prize and all that.

Instead they puckered. And I get it to some extent. I was neurotic all week all about this game just because of what had happened before.

1 hour ago, sith_horn said:

Card hasn't played worse this season than Ewers did today. And let's be clear. I'm not saying Card should be the starting QB, but he has certainly showed himself to play serviceably as a backup. Dabo stated his case perfectly after the game today. His starting QB just wasn't playing well and a change was needed.

I can't think of a time a Texas QB played worse and, well, let's just say I got to see Earl play as a student, so its been a long time.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

I don't think Sark called the game badly. I think execution sucked and royally so. I highly agree with everything else you say. Ewers should have been pulled once it was evident he wasn't going to change his level of play and still have time enough to possibly salvage the game with Card. All those consecutive scoreless possessions broke the D. I think they would have played better with even a couple of sustained and scoring drives. I don't pretend to know what has been up with Ewers. He played off early against ISU and eventually steadied some, but he was way off today.

What frustrates me about Sark play calling, is that he seems to be so inconsistent with his play calling. It feels like long stretches of the same few plays, then brief flashes of something new. The new works, then back to the stuff that isn't. Seems like things are opposite. Instead of continuing to call the types of plays that work, and do that until they stop us. He seems to keep calling the same plays that don't work, in hopes that it will eventually work. If that makes sense.

We have too may play makers on offense, and aren't spreading the ball around enough. That's my bad take from the couch. heh

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Fuck these cocksucking refs. We still win with any other crew on the fucking planet. I’ve never seen such discrepancy in calls in my life.

I mean I kind of disagree. I think we find a way to lose regardless.

But certainly the fact that they didn't penalize OSU once is bullshit.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

There must be a lot of disfunction with the players and staff. That scuffle in the Horns' bench and skipping the eyes by quite a few of them is telling. You can't win much if you are not on the same page. Shit is going to be tough going the rest of the season. Fuck.

Hopefully we hire a winning coach after next season. This was a terrible hire. 

48 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

The crazy thing is we may have actually been able to win with a 14/49 3 INT Qb if we didn’t also have refs that called a 14/0 penalty game.

seriously - if you’re that quick to pull out the flag there is no way the other team has ZERO penalties the entire game. Give me a fucking break.

At least somebody was out to get us.  They have to huddle and wave off at least 3 penalties against us.  Those were just too egregiously bad to call.

Opponents know that our identity (before Sark and certainly now) is to turtle, choke, whatever you want to call it and lose games.  You look at Bama or Texas back in the halcycon Mack days and you get up 14-20 points and you can see the opponent quit. 

We are covered in the stench of being chokers. To the point I would say we are the least likely team for an opponent to give up against. 

Sark will either unfuck it (and it will take time and multiple closeout wins to do it) or he’ll find himself back in Nick Saban rehab. 

All evidence indicates he cannot unfuck it. Brilliant designer of offenses. Horrible gameday coaching execution. 

Back at my hotel from the game. Tired, so I'll keep it brief.

1. Stillwater - pretty cool place. OSU fans were largely good-natured, not much of the inferiority complex you can taste w aggy and tech. They've got a good and fun thing going.

2. It is going to take a while until we see the problems with Ewers' game fixed.

3. There are distinct problems with the way Sark runs the offense when it goes up against decent competition. The defense didn't play an excellent game, but it played good enough that we should have won. Turnovers, failure to convert in the red zone, moving away from working strategies (why do we forget we can run screens past the 2nd quarter??) are all on Sark. The offense was the reason he was hired, it has all the skill in the world, and it simply is not performing well.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Nah refs would’ve kept us out of the end zone some way somehow. BS holding call on Ewers run proves that.

Exactly. We were putting on a drive. Ewers on a huge run and about to get into hurry up and let him rip to the mojo back and called back on a fucking horseshit holding call on Jones. That had the potential to be the Ewers pick himself up of the ground. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Sark better be learning from this game, along  with all the games where we look awful.  He has to be able to find and fix mistakes…teach and coach the players to also fix their mistakes…pretty sure we didn’t all seem to be on the same page…and, of course, the refs screwing us really piled on our shitty performance.

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

Casey Cain last week + Worthy this weeks forms a pattern. Our WR fucking quit on the play when they think it’s not coming their way.

ding

ding

ding

ding

Every fucking one of them but #4

I swear to God....look at it.

#4 is balling out for his fucking life

Redd is fighting with our coaches and the Alabama transfers are shit so far.

The QB's deserve the derision, but these cats don't get a fucking 'pass' 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Half the calls were legit, stupid offside or false start.  The real issue was that somehow there were 0 vs. Oklahoma St.

And there were 3 total bullshit calls that were so bad the refs had to huddle and call off the flag.  I've never seen so many picked up in a game.  At least one of the refs was determined to let OSU win for whatever reason.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

45 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Ironically, I was worried when RoJo broke off the 50 yard TD with 4:00 remaining. I was hoping we’d run 5-6 yards at a time so we could score and end the half without them getting another possession.

Little did I know that not only would they score a TD, but we were a couple of terrible Gundy clock management decisions away from them scoring TWICE in those 4 minutes.

We are really just the opposite of clutch.

I was hoping the Iowa St. game was a sign we had gotten over that.