Texas Longhorns @ Kansas State Wildcats - 6pm on FS1

Pancho

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Ewers’ deep ball sucks.  As a matter of fact, Ewers might be…overrated.

This team still lacks an elite QB and dominant oline.

Ha!  I have been seriously negged for saying the same thing tonight.  I agree.  But more I think Ewers is playing his first year in major college football.  Not sure we can expect much more this year.  The hope is next year he makes the 2nd year jump.  But yeah, he isn't there yet.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bevoette said:

All I see was how shitty our play calling is in the 2nd half.  31 points 1st half only 3 2nd.  Just like Okie St game.  That fumble was a game winner 

The play calling was Godlike in the first half though. We were awesome.

That does count. The points you scored in the first half are still available to be used. We go through the rest of the season putting up 31 in the first half and 3 in the second, I like our chances.

It was concerning how KSU stacked the box and we didn't just throw over them. I am not sure what that was about. Maybe Sark just wanted the ball in Bijan's hands to win it, like he did in the Iowa State game. Just we are going to grind out the win regardless of how many guys they put up there. I kind of don't like that. I think Ewers is good enough to at least keep them honest. But hey, it worked. Throwing Ewers last week at Oklahoma State sure didn't.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ATXbronco said:

No, it's some stupid name now like Casual Eddie's or Table Top or something else dumb.
But the Management is still very cool.  

I've changed my my mind.
Next three game plans are going to be like this.

Is Commander Adama under contract to anyone? I'd take him as a HC or DC any day,

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Same as it’s been since Colt got hurt.

Holy shit you’re stupid. When you have your deep threat giving up on his route, not making a play at the ball, not tracking the ball, wtf do you expect. Every other game you see receivers laying out for oases making huge catches. Worthy is half assing and going through motions. It’s pathetic effort. Evan Stewart catches these types of balls from our QB 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Monahorns said:

Ha!  I have been seriously negged for saying the same thing tonight.  I agree.  But more I think Ewers is playing his first year in major college football.  Not sure we can expect much more this year.  The hope is next year he makes the 2nd year jump.  But yeah, he isn't there yet.

Yeah I mean, Ewers is good but he isn't an elite QB yet. The whole thing that he sucks and is over-rated is kind of ridiculous. I expect him to get better the longer he stays here.

However, it seemed like Sark didn't trust him with the game tonight. That when it came down to it, it was Bijan he wanted to have the ball and not Ewers no matter how many defenders K-State had ready for him. And Texas did something similar in the Iowa State game, they wanted Bijan and Roschon to win the game even though Ewers made the big 4th down play. And then Ewers had such a bad game against Oklahoma State. Those data points are interesting. I am not sure what it means. It could just mean Bijan Robinson is really fucking good and fair enough Sark, but not even Earl Campbell can run through 9 guys consistently.

Hopefully if TCU stacks 9 guys in the box next Saturday, Ewers can make them pay for it.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Holy shit you’re stupid. When you have your deep threat giving up on his route, not making a play at the ball, not tracking the ball, wtf do you expect. Every other game you see receivers laying out for oases making huge catches. Worthy is half assing and going through motions. It’s pathetic effort. Evan Stewart catches these types of balls from our QB 

I can’t recall him hitting a deep route all year.

Guess routes are always shitty.

I've never said he sucks or is over rated.  I have commented on performance to date and how it compared to QB performance last year.  Ewers makes throws that no other Texas QB can, at times, but that hasn't translated to a big step improvement in QB play.  Early on it looked like it would even with his inexperience because he was completing long passes.  I think this is where his injury hurt him.  Maybe everything clicks in the last 3 games and he reaches his potential.  But the last 3 games haven't been good overall.  They just haven't by any objective standard.

Edited by Monahorns

19 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Same as it’s been since Colt got hurt.

maybe Worthy sucks as a deep threat since we've had  3 different QBs that can't hit him deep.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Guess my drunk ass stands corrected.  He's hit 2-3 deep balls this year.  Guess that's all we need.

Tonight the deep ball really wasn't there. Worthy was pretty well covered each time, would have taken a perfect pass. I am glad Ewers overthrew him, because if he had tried to drop it in there it might have gotten picked.

1 minute ago, ousux said:
3 minutes ago, hookem48 said:
maybe Worthy sucks as a deep threat since we've had  3 different QBs that can't hit him deep.

Worthy usually doesn't dive for balls thrown a little out of his reach, I think some receivers out there actually catch some of those deep balls.

I think he gets slowed up because it doesn't take much to knock a 160 pound receiver off his route. In his defense the dude has got to get tired as much as we target him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

We don't know that. The guy we brought in to be the deep threat got hurt in fall camp. Hopefully he can recover and come back next year. Worthy is not a great route runner or does he have reliable hands. It also doesn't help that Worthy is the only WR on the roster right now that you have to worry about. Whittington is a good player, but he doesn't strike fear in opposing defenses. If Neyor was healthy, I bet we are looking at a lot more production from Worthy and Whittington.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

So we’re counting balls that were off target somewhat and not caught as “hits?”

I mean what you want to count is up to you. I think if they bounced off the receivers' hands, those are hardly on the QB...I mean unless he is firing rockets to guys 3 yards away or something.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

We don't know that. The guy we brought in to be the deep threat got hurt in fall camp. Hopefully he can recover and come back next year. Worthy is not a great route runner or does he have reliable hands.

In a perfect world Worthy would be a slot not our main outside guy but he does score a td every damn game. lol

We don't know that. The guy we brought in to be the deep threat got hurt in fall camp. Hopefully he can recover and come back next year. Worthy is not a great route runner or does he have reliable hands. It also doesn't help that Worthy is the only WR on the roster right now that you have to worry about. Whittington is a good player, but he doesn't strike fear in opposing defenses. If Neyor was healthy, I bet we are looking at a lot more production from Worthy and Whittington.
Agreed, if anyone is overrated it's Worthy. I still remember last years frog game where at least 3 balls bounced out of his hands..Bijan single handedly won that one for us. Outside of the Okie Lite game, (fingernail or no fingernail, that was bad) Quinn has ranged from average to really good. Even VY and Pistola had less than stellar games in their careers.
  • Like 1

I mean what you want to count is up to you. I think if they bounced off the receivers' hands, those are hardly on the QB...I mean unless he is firing rockets to guys 3 yards away or something.

I’d need to rewatch it, but thought he had to leave his feet to get his hands it. But still he should have caught it. Many do not give the same grace to other QBs however.

Worthy does seem to have some issues adjusting but Ewers deep ball has been subpar.

8 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

A freshman in his 5th (?) start is overrated. Uh, ok. I think he’s doing what most thought he would: flashes of brilliance mixed with freshman mistakes.

*a freshman who got a six figure NIL from Ohio State out of high school then got Texas to give him a seven figure NIL to transfer

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah I mean, Ewers is good but he isn't an elite QB yet. The whole thing that he sucks and is over-rated is kind of ridiculous. I expect him to get better the longer he stays here.

However, it seemed like Sark didn't trust him with the game tonight. That when it came down to it, it was Bijan he wanted to have the ball and not Ewers no matter how many defenders K-State had ready for him. And Texas did something similar in the Iowa State game, they wanted Bijan and Roschon to win the game even though Ewers made the big 4th down play. And then Ewers had such a bad game against Oklahoma State. Those data points are interesting. I am not sure what it means. It could just mean Bijan Robinson is really fucking good and fair enough Sark, but not even Earl Campbell can run through 9 guys consistently.

Hopefully if TCU stacks 9 guys in the box next Saturday, Ewers can make them pay for it.

Sark is not tipping his hand before playing Too Chity University. He wants them to believe that he will continue to run Bijan into the teeth of the defense all four downs, then BAM bootlegs and rollouts. 

Updated model:  Texas doesn't move, but the model is predicting a jump in CFP rank.

Tennessee lost but passed tOSU, because Ohio State played liked ass (there was a slight breeze as well).  Alabama slipped behind Michigan, but stays ahead of Texas.

TCU is predicted for the coveted #4 CFP slot, Kansas is shown to be sneaking in, Baylor has a shot.  The model had Ohio State #1 last week and again this week, but it's pretty safe to say they'll give it to UGA.

image.png.41b0b91d12e5e8ab897238f48cd7dcff.png

11 hours ago, ALexusTexus7 said:

Tom Herman was fine with scraping by too, in games that were easily winnable. It proved to be a losing recipe overall. It’s why the graphics are always poking at Texas losing 3 games by 11 points total. Trying to scrape by and not getting the job done. Like I said, enjoy the W, sure, but it doesn’t bode well for the future and you know I’m right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference between Sark and Herman is the difference between apples and road apples. Both have the word “coach” in their titles. Very different people. 

11 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Same for the one when Worthy got nailed just as he turned around after the catch.

OK, I will contradict myself here though. RJ could have held the ball to his chest instead of swinging the ball with his arm while trying to topspeed run. That was something Drayton coached and you noticed the backs doing it.

Likewise, Worthy could have had the ball wrapped with both arms as he turned to face forward. These are finer points that can be coached. It might have/or not, made a difference on the hit he got just as he turned up-field.

It’s not like this isn’t “coached”. Bijan’s long run 1sr half should have been TD but he wandered back left instead of heading for far goal line. Like Rojo’s fumble, they both thought they were faster than their pursuers.  It’s one thing to be a teacher. The student, however, must execute the learning. As I’ve said, love our players (well most of them) but they are young men who do make erroneous decisions. It’s costly. In games. I haven’t heard a lot of off field stuff by the players under this staff. Maybe our culture is getting better. Winning tough games breeds tough teams. I believe we’re getting there. Only time will tell. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Definitely significant areas to improve upon but a tough win against a ranked team playing a night game on their home field. I feel like this is a big mental hurdle for the team, and a huge confidence boost going into the TCU game.

Sark still has trouble with play calling in the 2nd half.

btw what did Jerrin Thompson do to draw that huge personal foul? I don't think tv ever showed it.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Definitely significant areas to improve upon but a tough win against a ranked team playing a night game on their home field. I feel like this is a big mental hurdle for the team, and a huge confidence boost going into the TCU game.

Sark still has trouble with play calling in the 2nd half.

btw what did Jerrin Thompson do to draw that huge personal foul? I don't think tv ever showed it.

Was at the game, and if you’re referencing the play I think you are, it just looked like two players continuing to go after the whistle, but the KSU guy ended up on the ground so Jerrin is hit with the penalty.

I stand by my drunk statement. Sark is a bad head football coach. He's a great OC. Not winning by 35 last night with the talent advantage is criminal. The fact that PK hasn't been reassigned or fired is criminal. The 2nd half only scoring 3 for the 2nd time in a row after scoring nearly every drive in the first half is criminal. The timeout on 3rd down when the snap gets off anyway because you don't trust your players and you decided to substitute late and you know that kstate does the late sub thing because klieman knows the fucking rules of football and has done it on film before is criminal. 

This team is built to and wants to win. They are the best football team we have had in a long while, but this coach is fucking dogshit. 

I am very happy we won. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Was at the game, and if you’re referencing the play I think you are, it just looked like two players continuing to go after the whistle, but the KSU guy ended up on the ground so Jerrin is hit with the penalty.

Yeah context would've helped. It was in the 4th q. I forget the down but maybe 2nd or 3rd and 35 to go for KSU from deep in their own territory. The penalty bailed them out.

24 minutes ago, immamac said:

I stand by my drunk statement. Sark is a bad head football coach. He's a great OC. Not winning by 35 last night with the talent advantage is criminal. The fact that PK hasn't been reassigned or fired is criminal. The 2nd half only scoring 3 for the 2nd time in a row after scoring nearly every drive in the first half is criminal. The timeout on 3rd down when the snap gets off anyway because you don't trust your players and you decided to substitute late and you know that kstate does the late sub thing because klieman knows the fucking rules of football and has done it on film before is criminal. 

This team is built to and wants to win. They are the best football team we have had in a long while, but this coach is fucking dogshit. 

I am very happy we won. 

That timeout on 3rd down cost us a TD. Bijan was gone to the house on that play. Ewers put his hands to his helmet in disbelief. The most frustrating win I've watched in awhile. Should have smoked 'em by 20-30.

1 minute ago, Okcool said:

That timeout on 3rd down cost us a TD. Bijan was gone to the house on that play. Ewers put his hands to his helmet in disbelief. The most frustrating win I've watched in awhile. Should have smoked 'em by 20-30.

Eh, the whistle clearly blew before the snap. Not all the K state players were trying. The timeout was the right move there given how little time was on the clock. If we end up with a delay of game, everyone is up Sark's ass for not calling a timeout. 

26 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Eh, the whistle clearly blew before the snap. Not all the K state players were trying. The timeout was the right move there given how little time was on the clock. If we end up with a delay of game, everyone is up Sark's ass for not calling a timeout. 

Except we know the results of the play and it was a first down easily. Sark not trusting Ewers to snap it is bullshit. He clearly got the snap off. That’s like saying it was a good bluff after seeing the river card in poker. No one is on his ass for the delay of game due to no timeout. Subbing late in the play clock against a coach who always subs his guys after just to fuck with the rhythm is the crime. He was guilty of it regardless. Fucking so stupid it’s incredible.