Texas Longhorns @ Kansas State Wildcats - 6pm on FS1

Pancho

2 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

I didn't see any difference in the play calling. He tried to stick with the run. But we had repeated, drive killing false starts and player miscues. I know its very sexy to shit on him and he's deserved it in the past (OMG especially OSU), but I don't think the second half was a play calling problem.

I love Sark. But today's second half shitshow has been a problem almost every game. That's why we've lost so many fucking games in the second half. There's enough evidence to show he's the problem.

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

If the play isn’t working, stop calling it. That’s on Sark 

I'm beginning to think a lot of it is Ewers.  Worthy may be there as a decoy to stretch the field, but goddammit if Quinn thinks he's open, he's gonna throw it.

I notice on some of the intermediate complettions Worthy is not even on the field.

The number 8 moving at speed downfield is like a red cape to Ewers.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, sith_horn said:

They were getting held like no tomorrow for a lot of the game. But they played that last series like their hair was on fire and wouldn't be denied. Hard to maintain that intensity for four Q's with the refs ignoring holding.

"15 yard penalty for Texas forcing the game-winning turnover. First down at the 1 yard line,"

26 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Beat TCU and this gets real. 

I think TCU has at least one quarterback that can throw a ball and so long as they have at least one WR with one hand, I don’t like our chances.  It’s like our DBs playing zone are distracted kids trying to catch butterflies while the opposing WRs make wide open receptions, especially converting 3rd downs.

Edited by 89Horn
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, TXRed said:

3 forced fumbles and we only recovered one. Add jumping on loose balls to the laundry list of things the defense needs to work on.  

Ball security obviously needs to be a point of emphasis for the offense. 

The fumble by RJ was just a good play by Kansas State.  It happens 

• Hook 'Em 2

Sark always goes away from Keilan the 2nd half too loses creativity. I think he’s more kind-fucked than the players are in 2nd halves. The D actually saved his ass this game but can’t guarantee it the next 3. I’ll take the W but Sark ain’t learned shit. The players nutted up and played hard except for Jamison.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you say so man. I saw guys fighting their guts out, just psyched out from years of losing. But they overcame it. Is it progress? I don't know. We'll find out as the year plays out.
I also don't have this weird need for big style points. We need a Big 12 title. The polls don't matter. Optics don't matter. We just need wins. If we have to do that by doing all our scoring in the first half, well that's fine with me. Who the fuck cares if they need to SCRAPE BY to win? K-State and TCU were the two elite teams on our schedule. If we scrape by next week well that's fine with me.

It can be both.

The defense made a bona fide play to win the game. Texas beat a good conference opponent on the road. Scraping by with a win is better than dominating the box score but losing like what happened at Tech.

The second half offense is a mess on both the play calling and execution fronts, the defense legitimately looks like it has no idea what it’s doing in coverage, and even though they win it doesn’t inspire confidence that the road issue is resolved.

All are true.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

I saw running into a 9 man front with no audible or play call adjustment. I saw a pitch to the short side that looks like we notified the K state sideline with the playcall. I saw multiple 30 yard bombs two weeks ago with a qb that was struggling biggly.

A step up gutsy stop by the D doesn’t remove the warts off the second half offense. Pull the sunshine out of your butt. This is a concerning pattern from last year. 

When you have 9 in the box you pitch it outside the tackle box and tell your RT to block inside so Bijan can get outside vs DBs. All Jones has to do there is invite the rusher inside and Bijan walks to a first down. Like I said, players here make mental mistakes at the end of the game. We ran the same play and got big yards earlier when they stacked the box, but you must not have seen it. 

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

There were several plays where it seemed KSU knew exactly what play we were running. Sark often doesn’t cover his mouth on the play calls. Or I wonder if someone is tipping the plays. 

You may be on to something. In fact, I would almost prefer that explanation to the alternative. 

Which is that everyone in the stadium (and me at home) knew what plays he was running. 

The two 3rd down run calls are inexcusable. There were 9 in the box. They are selling out. Just throw a play action pass to Sanders!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 89Horn said:

I think TCU has at least one quarterback that can throw a ball and so long as they have at least one WR with one hand, I don’t like our chances.  It’s like our DBs playing zone are distracted kids trying to catch butterflies while the opposing DBs make wide open receptions, especially converting 3rd downs.

well they have one of the best receivers in the country if he's healthy

5 minutes ago, TXRed said:

3 forced fumbles and we only recovered one. Add jumping on loose balls to the laundry list of things the defense needs to work on.  

Ball security obviously needs to be a point of emphasis for the offense. 

You are right on both points.

There were 6 fumbles in the game. KSU recovered 5 of them. All football data ever proves that fumble recovery is plain luck. At least we came up aces on the 6th one. 

Edited by Llewelyn Moss
  • Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The guy makes a read on the ball in the air, decides whether he thinks he can catch and if no, just quits.  He's right some of the time, but not always and it's a bad look.

I know what you’re saying but I think that is just the way it appears from the couch. If there was any chance he was bailing on catchable balls QE, the coaches, etc would see it and he wouldn’t be getting looks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I disagree. Execution is our primary problem. Part of that is on Sark, but given that they can execute in the first, I'd say the vast majority is on the players. I just don't know why it happens. 

Bijan needs to run better into a 9 man front. Lol. I get your point but he got predictable again the 2nd half. He lost confidence very quickly in the pass game. He did make some nice calls early in the 3rd, won’t take that away from him. But turtled again as the pressure ramped up.

There were 6 fumbles in the game. KSU recovered 5 of them. All football data ever proves that fumble recovery is plain luck. At least we came up aces on the 6th one. 

KSU had a couple of ridiculous bounces. So it goes. The one at the end bounced Texas’s way and that’s the one that mattered the most.

The Jamison one was not luck though. Good lord.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

I'm beginning to think a lot of it is Ewers.  Worthy may be there as a decoy to stretch the field, but goddammit if Quinn thinks he's open, he's gonna throw it.
I notice on some of the intermediate complettions Worthy is not even on the field.
The number 8 moving at speed downfield is like a red cape to Ewers.

Yeah, Ewers has “Hero ball” tendencies. Improvement will come with experience and maturity (hopefully).

1 minute ago, Stunns38 said:

Bijan needs to run better into a 9 man front. Lol. I get your point but he got predictable again the 2nd half. He lost confidence very quickly in the pass game. He did make some nice calls early in the 3rd, won’t take that away from him. But turtled again as the pressure ramped up.

Worthy fumbled. Our oline gives up a free inside rusher. False starts by fucking wide receivers. It is 90% execution. And yes, once the team stops executing, the play calling gets more constrained. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

Technically the sideline recovered one of them. 

Worthy fumbled. Our oline gives up a free inside rusher. False starts by fucking wide receivers. It is 90% execution. And yes, once the team stops executing, the play calling gets more constrained. 

We’ll agree to disagree. We surely fucked up execution more than we should have (even in the first half), but constraining playcalling doesn’t mean becoming predictable. I don’t even remember overloading a side with an extra TE or tackle to counter the strong fronts.