Qatar World Cup thread of off-the-pitch drama and debauchery

TexasHooch

17 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Sorry, back to 6,500 dead. But literally how? Like falling off of under construction buildings? If it's over 10 years, that averages to two a day. I just don't see how you can realistically have a count that high. Learn me.

The stats are from Amnesty International. It's not like Qatar government has an OSHA like agency to mandate workplace safety and track workplace injuries and death. 

My stupid guess is that AI gets notified or hears information probably from families of migrant workers not returning home from their jobs in Qatar. Did they die on the job? Are they in stuck in prison there? Were they forced into the sex trade? Prob no one outside of Qatar will ever know. These workers are just missing and didn't return home. They are presumed dead?

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Why the big flake out NOW?  Qatar has been this way since the beginning.  They were like this when they were competing to get the WC.  Why weren't people raising a big stink then?

They were.  FIFA's response: FUPM.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Sorry, back to 6,500 dead. But literally how? Like falling off of under construction buildings? If it's over 10 years, that averages to two a day. I just don't see how you can realistically have a count that high. Learn me.

No safety rules.  115 degree weather with 100 percent humidity.  No breaks.  No meals.  16 hour days

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Why the big flake out NOW?  Qatar has been this way since the beginning.  They were like this when they were competing to get the WC.  Why weren't people raising a big stink then?

Because everyone was being bribed.  Now that the money's been doled out, and most of the people on the take got away with it, the Qataris are left to fend for themselves.  To hell with all of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

I posted both the story that reports it, and the fact check that explains the context.

can you give a brother a TLDR summary? you expect all/any of us to actually read that????

Just now, HenryJames said:

Racist, imo.

yes, bats would like it if other races eat them too.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Yeah this mirrors my experience in Dubai. I vividly remember walking into the arrival hall, and there had to be like 2,000 plus people in line to get in the country with probably 20 lanes open. They had a few Emirati guys who would just cruising the hall looking for white people. One came by my area and asked any white person what their passport was, dude close to me was British, and they asked him to come with them, next me, same thing. Eventually we had like 4 or 5 people in tow and they took us to a side door, stamped out passport and said enjoy our time. Who knows how long it took those others to get through if they ever did.

same same in Saudi.  We walked right through the line for 'mericans/Europeans and there were hundreds of Indians sitting on the floor in lines.

• Hook 'Em 3

Oh fine.  The number basically refers to all immigrants who died in the 10 year period of World cup build out.  Qatar says that's pretty standard mortality rates, but it really isn't.  Qatar officially lists the deaths at about 37, which is widely regarded as bullshit, but we're never really going to know.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Oh fine.  The number basically refers to all immigrants who died in the 10 year period of World cup build out.  Qatar says that's pretty standard mortality rates, but it really isn't.  Qatar officially lists the deaths at about 37, which is widely regarded as bullshit, but we're never really going to know.

37 vs 6,500 is pretty fucking wide disparity. Even if it's somewhere in the middle, that's a shitton of people who have died building for the WC.

We can honor their memory by noting that none of their home countries will make the knock-out rounds.  

What a fucking disgrace this whole thing is (other than the top-notch football which I am really looking forward to).  

That this kinda fraudulent bullshit still happens in broad daylight in the 21st century with the whole world watching.  That women and gays and immigrant labor are still treated like fucking animals.  That people lean on religion to justify their barbaric behavior.  I cannot fucking believe where the region is at right now in this day and age.  And then there's Qatar.  Fuck them, fuck FIFA, let's go football...

• Hook 'Em 2

It all depends how you're cooking the books.  If you die from falling from scaffolding in the stadium onto the field, Qatar is going to count that.  But what about the Nepali who died building an access road?  Or all of the people who died of respiratory failure from the pollutants.  Or the people who died from the poor living conditions (bad water, shotty electrical, etc).  They die of those things in their own countries too, but they're only there because of the World Cup jobs.  So do you count those folks or not?  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Serious question, how did 6,500 die in the construction? 

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Add to it shitty living conditions, bad food, suicide. 

heard on NPR a lot of the deaths were heat related.

FIFA is the most corrupt sports organization in the world. They chose Russia last time, and now Qatar. Who hosts next time, Iran? North Korea? The answer of course is whatever country pays the highest bribes, regardless of how brutal or repressive the regime.

Fuck FIFA and fuck the world cup and fuck international soccer.

3 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

FIFA is the most corrupt sports organization in the world. They chose Russia last time, and now Qatar. Who hosts next time, Iran? North Korea? The answer of course is whatever country pays the highest bribes, regardless of how brutal or repressive the regime.

The Olympic committee: Are we a joke to you?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Detroit

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

We do. And we did. 

• Like 1

So if FIFA went away, or was modified, what would be the 5, 6 or 7 rotational and fixed locations for the Cup? Figure a location would have it every 20-30 years so new venues would be needed or modernized. Maybe a regional approach is best. 

1. North America can share. Every Rotation either the US or Mexico hosts the final. 
  2. Central EU (Germany, Poland, Czechs, etc.) 
  3. Western EU (France and UK)
  4. Southern EU (Spain, Portugal, Italy) 
  5. South America (both Brazil and Argentina or do they share?) 
  6. Japan and Korea. 
  7. Who else? Have a rotational wild card? South Africa, Australia, Scandinavia? Again rotational. 

Just curious. Would end the corruption a bit. 

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Aussies could handle one. South Africa did a good job. I think there will be a wild card and it is interesting to me. 

South Africa was only given due to bribes but I agree they did well and it was the cheapest world cup I think also. Australia would have to be some sort of joint bid I think. Well I say that as Qatar is hosting so who knows 

Well then I guess Mexico is out. Imagine an entire tournament of drunk brits trying to scream Puto!!!!

It was not only South African fans using the vuvuzelas. It is like me watching Germans in Frankfurt during their cup trying to swallow Budweiser at the fan zones. 

Just now, Zepol87 said:

South Africa was only given due to bribes but I agree they did well and it was the cheapest world cup I think also. Australia would have to be some sort of joint bid I think. Well I say that as Qatar is hosting so who knows 

OK, so let an early round be in New Zealand. Aussies have lots of venue's and a good transportation network. Those things matter. Plus it would be fun as shit. 

It all depends how you're cooking the books.  If you die from falling from scaffolding in the stadium onto the field, Qatar is going to count that.  But what about the Nepali who died building an access road?  Or all of the people who died of respiratory failure from the pollutants.  Or the people who died from the poor living conditions (bad water, shotty electrical, etc).  They die of those things in their own countries too, but they're only there because of the World Cup jobs.  So do you count those folks or not?  

The article homeboy posted upthread mentioned a lot about kidney failure due to shitty drinking water and shitty work conditions. People dropping dead later.

What an awful life and shitty way to go. Substandard drinking water, in the desert? Not hard to imagine those death tolls...

Soccer's moment to shine, lets move that to fall /winter when other sports are peaking instead of dead of summer when the sport gets a bit of attention and focus,

for the sake of ......Qatar.

So gross.
  • Rage+1 5

14 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

reminds me of this when we played qatar in the 2021 gold cup in austin lol

I went to that game and the native Qatari fans were massive douchebags (all male obviously). It was awesome watching them try to smuggle shit like vape pens and cigarettes into the stadium. Then trying to bribe security to let them bring it in. Oh and the cutting the security lines was cute too