2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

5 hours ago, horny_gunman said:

Maybe details on a Coleman tangent, but didn’t Sark say this about Coleman AFTER Wiggins was retained by Alabama and Simmons stayed at OU?

And fuck all, Raymond would have been excellent.

Sark fully intended to dump Coleman out on his ass but like ~7 people turned down the position. Eventually just reached a point where giving Coleman a one year shot without Herman's influence was a better option than scraping the bottom of the barrel for a replacement in that cycle. He said all kinds of dumb shit praising Coleman after the fact but it was/remains widely known he never wanted the guy. Nahlin was talking about that again just the other day that like six guys turned us down before Sark finally just accepted he had to stick with Coleman. 

Sark fully intended to dump Coleman out on his ass but like ~7 people turned down the position. Eventually just reached a point where giving Coleman a one year shot without Herman's influence was a better option than scraping the bottom of the barrel for a replacement in that cycle. He said all kinds of dumb shit praising Coleman after the fact but it was/remains widely known he never wanted the guy. Nahlin was talking about that again just the other day that like six guys turned us down before Sark finally just accepted he had to stick with Coleman. 

Appreciate that.

29 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Was there a collective conniption on Surly to hire Flood? I don't recall his name coming up every time we had an opening for OL coach.

IIRC, when Sark was hired there was a good deal of Flood wishcasting on the board. And great rejoicing when it came true. 

Edited by Junior Bonner
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So we know Filani can teach tracking a deep ball, but idk that the divos of his wr rooms are gonna rival ours who will literally be making more money than him. And legally to boot. 

Don’t worry, whenever those Puppet Boys in the wr room get an Uncontrollable Urge, he will Whip It until he has Satisfaction. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Haha 1

High school coach on IT who knows Joel Filani (Washington State WR coach who’s been mentioned as a candidate):

I think he would be great. He did a great job at UNT. As I said in a previous post he's a very relatable guy and very personable. Comes very natural to him. 

I was in Boise for a wedding when I met him. My FIL who is a Boise grad was showing me around the stadium while my wife was doing wedding BS and we decided to go into the football offices. It was late July so coaches were gone on vacation but Filani and another GA were there. We went into a meeting room and talked ball for another 2 hours. Exchanged numbers and have kept in touch since whether when it was when he was recruiting when he was at UNT and personally recruited some of my kids, Tech or since he's been at WSU which is only about 2 hours south of me. He's a tremendous guy. If Leach left a legacy with players its that when you talk to anyone that played for him you feel known and feel like you matter. That is not consistent across CFB. Most of those relationships are purely transactional. It has never been that way with him, Cumby, Harrell, Morris or any of those guys I have come to know.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

High school coach on IT who knows Joel Filani (Washington State WR coach who’s been mentioned as a candidate):

I think he would be great. He did a great job at UNT. As I said in a previous post he's a very relatable guy and very personable. Comes very natural to him. 

I was in Boise for a wedding when I met him. My FIL who is a Boise grad was showing me around the stadium while my wife was doing wedding BS and we decided to go into the football offices. It was late July so coaches were gone on vacation but Filani and another GA were there. We went into a meeting room and talked ball for another 2 hours. Exchanged numbers and have kept in touch since whether when it was when he was recruiting when he was at UNT and personally recruited some of my kids, Tech or since he's been at WSU which is only about 2 hours south of me. He's a tremendous guy. If Leach left a legacy with players its that when you talk to anyone that played for him you feel known and feel like you matter. That is not consistent across CFB. Most of those relationships are purely transactional. It has never been that way with him, Cumby, Harrell, Morris or any of those guys I have come to know.

He has come to know Sonny Cumbie so well that he'll spell his name right next time. 

• Haha 1

Bobby (IT) just put out an article about the WR coach candidates.  He says these are the 4 candidates Inside Texas is aware of:

Adam Henry WR coach & co-OC at Indiana.  Long-time NFL assistant, spent time with the Dallas Cowboys. WR coach & co-OC at LSU during Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry days.

Joel Filani WR coach at WSU, previously at Tech.  He is a former Texas Tech star. Filani was in Austin earlier this week, according to a source.

Chris Jackson WR coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Played juco ball for Orange Coast Community College at the same time Sark was playing QB for neighboring El Camino CC. Jackson played for Washington State, five years in the NFL, and then 11 more in the Arena League (with one season stop in the CFL).  Least experienced coach of this bunch with only a few years coaching experience.

Dallas Baker Baylor WR coach. Baker played his college ball at Florida and is from New Smyrna Beach. He played three years in the NFL and had previous stops as receivers coach at Marshall and Buffalo.

Bobby said the two biggest things Sark is looking for is someone who can 'be a technician' - wants a more polished WR room.  But also needs to be able to handle the attitudes and egos of a very diverse WR room.  NIL has made this doubly important.

Bobby said Keary Colbert and Holmon Wiggins had previously been considered.

*Just Wikipedia scouting - Adam Henry appears to have the best resume overall.   He's also the oldest and recruiting might be a question mark.   Chris Jackson is intriguing - long time professional player who made several Arena League All-Pro teams but is incredibly light on actual coaching experience - and recruiting is a complete unknown.  Is he going to want to put in the time required to be a recruiter? 

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Adam Henry WR coach & co-OC at Indiana.  Long-time NFL assistant, spent time with the Dallas Cowboys. WR coach & co-OC at LSU during Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry days.

Vito thinks, “I’d really like the LSU guy who coached Justin Jefferson, Ja’Marr Chase, etc…”

Looks it up…

”Oh fuck.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:
  • Adam Henry WR coach & co-OC at Indiana.
  •  Joel Filani WR coach WSU, previous Tech
  • Chris Jackson WR coach Jacksonville Jags
  • Dallas Baker Baylor WR coach 

This list seems like a smokescreen with the exception of Filani who worked with Coach Choice. 

39 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bobby (IT) just put out an article about the WR coach candidates.  He says these are the 4 candidates Inside Texas is aware of:

Joel Filani WR coach at WSU, previously at Tech.  He is a former Texas Tech star. Filani was in Austin earlier this week, according to a source.

Chris Jackson WR coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Played juco ball for Orange Coast Community College at the same time Sark was playing QB for neighboring El Camino CC. Jackson played for Washington State, five years in the NFL, and then 11 more in the Arena League (with one season stop in the CFL).  Least experienced coach of this bunch with only a few years coaching experience.

Dallas Baker Baylor WR coach. Baker played his college ball at Florida and is from New Smyrna Beach. He played three years in the NFL and had previous stops as receivers coach at Marshall and Buffalo.

Bobby said the two biggest things Sark is looking for is someone who can 'be a technician' - wants a more polished WR room.  But also needs to be able to handle the attitudes and egos of a very diverse WR room.  NIL has made this doubly important.

Bobby said Keary Colbert and Holmon Wiggins had previously been considered.

*Just Wikipedia scouting - Adam Henry appears to have the best resume overall.   He's also the oldest and recruiting might be a question mark.   Chris Jackson is intriguing - long time professional player who made several Arena League All-Pro teams but is incredibly light on actual coaching experience - and recruiting is a complete unknown.  Is he going to want to put in the time required to be a recruiter? 

Was baker the Florida wr that plowed jumbos wife?

Just to add to WR coach discussion...

The highest-paid wide receivers coaches in college football: 2022 edition

ZACH BARNETT      March 22nd, 2022

Here's how the full list breaks down:

1. Cortez Hankton, LSU -- $850,000+
2. Kasey Dunn, Oklahoma State -- $800,000*
3. Bryan McClendon, Georgia -- $700,000+
4. Dameyune Craig, Texas A&M -- $675,000
5. JaMarcus Shepard, Washington -- $650,000+
6. Cale Gundy, Oklahoma -- $610,000+
7. Brian Hartline, Ohio State -- $600,000+
7. Mickey Joseph, Nebraska -- $600,000+
9. Junior Adams, Oregon -- $575,000+
9. Holmon Wiggins, Alabama -- $575,000+
11. George McDonald, Illinois -- $550,000+
11. Derrick Nix, Ole Miss -- $500,000+
11. Nate Scheelhassee, Iowa State -- $500,000+
14. Justin Stepp, South Carolina -- $475,000
15. Ron Dugans, Florida State -- $450,000
15. Tyler Grisham, Clemson -- $450,000+
15. Emmett Jones, Texas Tech -- $450,000+
18. Lonnie Galloway, North Carolina -- $440,000+
19. Courtney Hawkins, Michigan State -- $425,000
20. Joker Phillips, NC State -- $415,000+
21. Alvis Whitted, Wisconsin -- $400,000
22. Matt Simon, Minnesota -- $395,000
23. Steve Spurrier, Jr., Mississippi State -- $390,000+

Additional notes: 

-- Notable names missing: Ike Hilliard (Auburn), Keary Colbert (Florida), Jacob Peeler (Missouri), Fontel Mines (Virginia Tech), Brennan Marion (Texas), Taylor Stubblefield (Penn State), Adam Henry (Indiana), Garrick McGee (Purdue), Joel Filani (Washington State)

-- Another notable name missing is Miami's Josh Gattis. It's unlikely we'll ever learn what he's making at The U, a private school, but we do know he was set to become college football's first $1 million wide receivers coach had he remained in Ann Arbor. (Obviously, Gattis is also an offensive coordinator.) He likely got more than that to leave for Miami. "In life I would never advise anyone to be where they are not wanted," he sent in a text to his players on his way to Coral Gables.

Michigan replaced Gattis by moving Ron Bellamy from safeties to wide receivers. He'll earn $250,000 in 2022, per the 2-year deal he signed upon joining the Wolverine staff from Michigan's West Bloomfield High School. 

-- Ron Dugans signed a new deal in January; the $450,000 salary was his 2021 figure. 

-- Nate Scheelhasse coaches Iowa State's running backs and wide receivers. 

-- Junior Adams was Washington's original wide receivers coach on Kalen DeBoer's new staff, at $500,000 per year. His move to rival Oregon was profitable for him and for his replacement, JaMarcus Shepard. 

• Hook 'Em 2