Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

Yeah, I couldn't quite make that out.  There was 2-3 "boo" outbursts but with the sound lag, it was hard to tell to whom it was directed.  

Oh wait, obligatory, "Meh feelings, noCR!"  

I could sorta see it go either way considering how much Brisket and others on here only hate two things, Politicians intolerant of other people's culture.  AND THE DUTCH!

• Like 1

Ya COTA sucks, the other 10000 posts about it have let us know already.

But as far as a track that produces some great races (outside the sprint, which was unexpected given how exciting most sprints have been), this was another great one. Different strategies, tight racing throughout, highly entertaining. I love this track layout.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Leclerc was 3 second ahead of Sainz in the firsts stint and extended about 6 laps further. Leclerc would easily be in P3 if he ran the same strategy. Nice of Ferrari to fuck him out of a podium today. 

They’ve done that with regularity the past two seasons. LeClerc might benefit from a different seat at some point. 

38 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Looks like Charles and Lewis will probably be DSQ due to plank wear. They checked 4 cars and those two were out of spec. That’s what a bumpy track and one practice session gets you.

Yay sprint weekend

• Rage+1 1

In looking into planks in race car, I found this from last year. Oh the irony. 

FIA rules state the wooden plank which runs along the bottom of the car must have a limit of 2mm of flexibility, but there was suspicion some in the paddock had found a grey area which allowed them to hit up to 6mm of flexibility.

Mercedes’ Toto Wolff was the most vocal in his criticism of the FIA’s slowness to act, saying it should have been policed as soon the FIA had caught suspicion it was going on, but the Austrian now has his wish with the governing body set to inspect the cars more closely.

• Haha 1

Someone explain this to me like I was a 5th grader

The cars have had a plank on the bottom made from Jabroc (a beechwood and resin material) ever since Senna’s accident to prevent them from running too low, which can cause sudden loss of downforce and therefore a crash.

This plank is supposed to be a minimum of like 9mm. If it’s less than that, it fails the technical regs. Because of only having one practice session and a bumpy track, it looks like some teams were a little too aggressive with the ride height, and the planks wore too much. Only 4 cars were checked and 2 failed, from different teams, so it’s likely there were several others, but we won’t know.

Example of plank:

Zhou-Silverstone-2022-3-1.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

If 2 out of 4 fail, why don’t they check all 20?
Exactly. If you have a 50% fail rate, check everyone.

They probably should, but these are just part of the random post race checks, so . I’d bet the other cars have already started to be torn down anyway.
Starting with the planks.

Well, well, well.... turns out Lewis SHAMilton and Charles LeCHEAT can't play by the rules. Both them are ruining the sport with their consistent and flagrant use of thin planks. Max Verstappen is a true champion of the sport and life. He would never stoop to the level of these willful cheaters. There's a stain on the sport and these two cheating drivers that will never be erased no matter how thick they run their "rear skid area."

Lewis should be stripped of all titles and Charles should be relegated to racing for Ferrari.

Charles is relegated to racing for Ferrari.

Would more practice sessions help to make sure this doesn’t happen? 2/4 cars, on different teams failed. Seems like the rules should be changed to allow for adjustments from FP1 to the race on sprint weekends.

Man that's tough.  On a day when likely a lot more would have failed, and on the sprint weekend, seems like it should be all or nothing.  You either check everyone or you let it go. 

Anyway, at least the race was pretty fun, poor strategy from Ferrari aside.  Oh and the crappy performance of Aston Martin and Fred's retirement aside.

Actually, turns out all my guys struggled.  Eff that race. :)

Well, well, well.... turns out Lewis SHAMilton and Charles LeCHEAT can't play by the rules. Both them are ruining the sport with their consistent and flagrant use of thin planks. Max Verstappen is a true champion of the sport and life. He would never stoop to the level of these willful cheaters. There's a stain on the sport and these two cheating drivers that will never be erased no matter how thick they run their "rear skid area."
 Lewis should be stripped of all titles and Charles should be relegated to racing for Ferrari.

This is top tier Instagram commenting.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wish we could know how much of an advantage this provided. I mean, you have to have rules and restrictions to keep the competition in check, but the vibe I'm getting is that they are getting a disqualification for something that's minor. Then again, I'm just a guy on the internet reading from other guys on the internet.

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Man that's tough.  On a day when likely a lot more would have failed, and on the sprint weekend, seems like it should be all or nothing.  You either check everyone or you let it go. 

Anyway, at least the race was pretty fun, poor strategy from Ferrari aside.  Oh and the crappy performance of Aston Martin and Fred's retirement aside.

Actually, turns out all my guys struggled.  Eff that race. :)

Orange team P2. 

Betty White Dab GIF

• Hook 'Em 1