2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

Lol. Remember that El Nino thing that will bring all the rain? Well, about that...

https://www.kxan.com/weather/weather-blog/could-pdo-mess-with-our-wet-el-nino/

El Niño has the greatest impact on our weather during the winter (December-February) in Central Texas. That’s when we’re most likely to see wetter than normal conditions. In some years a strong El Niño has made for a very wet fall, but in those years (like in 2015) PDO was positive.

This fall, El Niño and PDO may just work to balance each other out.

Of course. 

• 2 weeks later...

What a time to be alive!  No rain in sight for us for a few more days.  But at least this morning as I'm watching highlights of the game with the kids, isn't sweat soaking miserable.  But man, the rain chances, while something has to happen physically, aren't looking as great later this week as we'd hoped.  And Thursday looks like it's gonna touch 100 degrees just for shits 'n giggles.  I gotta go out and handwater tonight, we're in the last water tier of billing for another 5 days and I thought we could coast through but too many dying spots.  And I got a Monterrey Oak that needs some extra care.  

If anybody already has it easily on call, pos rep for posting a comparision.  But while 2011 was hotter than this overall, I think we at least had more rain thanks to a coulpe of little drenches we had in August.  

I'm afraid its another "complicated setup." The official 7-day precip forecast shows us on the edge (as usual). Officially, this shows 1-2" for NW Austin, less as you go south.

image.png.887e9e0b1c6b4cca0b4712345504abb3.png

KXAN shows rain, but not major chances each day:

image.png.ec0f0140d6be37c3e39e2f40200bba34.png

Wunderground showing less than 1/2":

image.thumb.png.00cb81550bd4fe6290edbfed3834c58d.png

I take this to mean we get 0.25" and call it a week.

Still holding steading with 1-2" in my neck of the woods in Austin. But if it's just a few miles off, it could be half that. This 7-day precip forecast however looks great for the lakes. 
image.png.e8a7616597c2d8b45e990623196e6049.png

Some nice numbers out in the basins this morning:

image.png.87accd036ec5fc3629883c02a82a068a.png

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't know how many inches - I just said it was big and my wife disagreed. Still it made getting to work hard this morning. The car was all over the road and it was wet everywhere.

Tell your wife it's not the depth of the precipitation it's the force with which it pounds down ... or something.

There was a surprising lack of terrible traffic this morning but I also left early, not because of the rain since I had no idea, but thankful for small favors.

1 minute ago, gofuckyourself said:

Tell your wife it's not the depth of the precipitation it's the force with which it pounds down ... or something.

There was a surprising lack of terrible traffic this morning but I also left early, not because of the rain since I had no idea, but thankful for small favors.

Well, you could tell it has been awhile. It just smelled different when the door opened. It was like spring.

Woke up to "pretty good" rain chances around 50% in Houston today, but those have already petered out to around 30% or so. Tomorrow and Friday are our best shots at getting some legit storms, but even those are less ironclad than they were as of last night. 90%->65%.

Latest NOAA expected precipitation for my neck of the woods is around 2.5 inches between today and Saturday night. I'm taking the under.

wpc-houston-total_precip_inch-4930400-2.

Rain chances in Austin going up for tomorrow.  Oh I know is that the rain has worked absolutely magic in Austin and it feels fantastic right now. 

Edit: taking a lunch time walk and my phone is not telling me that it needs to cool down. Finally 

Edited by texasdago