2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

21 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Raining again in Hyde park!

Watch dem pecan limbs, my friend. 

11 minutes ago, troph said:

Brilliance !!  

first fall rain, cool weather behind it, nice celebratory Bordeaux to sip on and the melancholic sounds of SRV Tin Pan Alley among other songs mixing with the sound of the rain splashing on the pool. Letting that summer go… 

hell yeah.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Holy shit, I walked outside and my sidewalk was wet.  My "lawn" was still 100% fried (need recs for drought-resistant grass and when to plant), but I swear I felt a raindrop.

Drought resistant still won’t stay green it’ll just look like a plate shoe string fries in these summers.

• Haha 1

My zoysia has held up exceptionally well. I have a mix of bermuda and augustine in some places. SA is a cancer on society and needs to be smote. The bermuda is in struggle mode. So at least based on my experience ZP is the way to go and pretty resilient. I will resod the whole place with Z after the pool install ruins my whole shit. 

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think I have zoysia, but it's essentially straw at this point.  If it comes back it needs to be tested for performance enhancing drugs.

Zoysia is drought resistant … gray is dead, tasty looking crispy fries is dormant. Nothing you can do except cheat the earth and your fellow man if you want to keep the grass green. Learn to appreciate the gold color. I’m actually not kidding.

Edited by troph

Been raining almost all morning here in Waco, and it's rained a ton last night and this morning in the Bosque Rivershed as well.  Finally...

Although my soon to be 2 year old wasn't pleased while I was trying to put her in the car to take her to 'school' this morning in a full on thunderstorm.  I bet we've had at least an inch of rain so far.   

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

My zoysia has held up exceptionally well. I have a mix of bermuda and augustine in some places. SA is a cancer on society and needs to be smote. The bermuda is in struggle mode. So at least based on my experience ZP is the way to go and pretty resilient. I will resod the whole place with Z after the pool install ruins my whole shit. 

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think I have zoysia, but it's essentially straw at this point.  If it comes back it needs to be tested for performance enhancing drugs.

11 hours ago, troph said:

Zoysia is drought resistant … gray is dead, tasty looking crispy fries is dormant. Nothing you can do except cheat the earth and your fellow man if you want to keep the grass green. Learn to appreciate the gold color. I’m actually not kidding.

I've been told that the best grass you can lay down is a hybrid of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and California Sinsamilla. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Out in West Texas, again, in 79720. I didn't want to mention it when it happened because karma, whatnot, and it hadn't cooled down in Austin yet. But the high on Tuesday was 69, which is nice. Then, that night, we got a couple of inches. Wednesday and this morning have been off and on again showers. Currently, it's 72.

Edited by bolverk
I don't care if it's 30 minutes later. A missing 'S' is not acceptable.
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Out in West Texas, again, in 79720. I didn't want to mention it when it happened because karma, whatnot, and it hadn't cooled down in Austin yet. But the high on Tuesday was 69, which is nice. Then, that night, we got a couple of inches. Wednesday and this morning have been off and on again shower. Currently, it's 72.

Note to all those Blastfurnace and Rain thread posters who like to talk about "Oh, it's a high of 78 here!"   This is how you do it.

Don't bring that shit when we are in the middle of 108 degrees.