2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Anyway, stuck the digital meat thermometer under the cold water tap just now….

88 frickin’ degrees, Marty!

3E929A06-A412-430F-B69D-01DE4F811A73.jpeg

First, great pic.

Second, of all the things that piss me off about this never ending hell hole of heat we live in, the tap water temp may make me the most homicidal. 

25 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Visited Houston. Experienced the hottest day (tie) on record... then washed my car for the first time in one-and-a-half months and so it rained on my car 😐

Thank you for your sacrifice. We got a full 60 second downpour in my neighborhood. I remarked to my wife that we saved the grid.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, huge said:

10/beltway area got pounded, tons of tree limbs down and several inches of rain.  Yard is still wet this morning.

Hallelujah holy shit

Ah yes, my old hood.  My parents who are a little further west told me they got nailed.   One of my cowokers lost power when her neighbor's tree was struck by lightning and fell on the power lines.  

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Ah yes, my old hood.  My parents who are a little further west told me they got nailed.   One of my cowokers lost power when her neighbor's tree was struck by lightning and fell on the power lines.  

That's what I heard

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Weather.com app keeps popping up rain alerts every 15 minutes for my part of Austin, but nothing happens.

it’s just hilarious how it keeps saying that.

Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

Yeah my app has been telling me it's raining at my house since about 5.

It is not.

It is not raining.

There is no rain.  It is zero rain, nil, un-rain.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

Rain in the Woodlands.  Yasss

We finally got a little rain here. I think it’s the first rain since late June. It cooled off quite a bit though. This is the earliest it’s been below 90 degrees in weeks. It’s nice enough to sit on the porch and watch the Texans game.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Rain moved around San Marcos. Reformed in Caldwell. Guess I still need to water my plants and garden. 

The heat is one thing, but I grew up in the tropics. Lack of rain and watching (when the) rivers run dry ( a great book btw) makes me surly. 

Meanwhile fiancé is driving back to East Texas and getting rain where driving sucks. Her day tomorrow won't be fun. I got that going for me. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hate said:

We finally got a little rain here. I think it’s the first rain since late June. It cooled off quite a bit though. This is the earliest it’s been below 90 degrees in weeks. It’s nice enough to sit on the porch and watch the Texans game.

The last time it rained at my house was 6/21.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DougO said:

Got just enough to not have to water the plants this evening. About a tenth of an inch. Grass is still crunchy AF.

I gave up on the grass. Just keeping some of my expensive plants and a few foundation gardens going. Gave up on tomatoes and peppers. Cut them back and give them enough to keep the roots going. In a few weeks will fertilize with seaweed and see if I should start them back or compost the entire set up.

I work out in the yard until 100 degrees. Then I come into the office to keep the laptops cool. Today that was about 11:30. 

12 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Rain moved around San Marcos. Reformed in Caldwell. Guess I still need to water my plants and garden. 

The heat is one thing, but I grew up in the tropics. Lack of rain and watching (when the) rivers run dry ( a great book btw) makes me surly. 

Meanwhile fiancé is driving back to East Texas and getting rain where driving sucks. Her day tomorrow won't be fun. I got that going for me. 

Seeing things die and animals in stress is what gets me so yeah it’s the lack of water mostly for me too.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Hate said:

Yep, the showers last night were the first rain I remember since the big T-storm rolled through on June 21 that seriously fucked some shit up with the high winds.

Yep, the showers last night were the first rain I remember since the big T-storm rolled through on June 21 that seriously fucked some shit up with the high winds.

Yeah, I think that’s the last time as well. The winds kicked up a bit last night too and our power flickered twice. I thought we were about to get a repeat of that event when we were without power for around 48 hours.