2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

4 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Is this the appropriate thread to mention that Lake Travis is down over 3.5 feet in the last month? The recent rains provided us with a brief reprieve from the drops but did not increase the water level at all. 

Hey, it's almost to 40% of its full volume!

https://isthelakefullyet.com/#volume

Is this the appropriate thread to mention that Lake Travis is down over 3.5 feet in the last month? The recent rains provided us with a brief reprieve from the drops but did not increase the water level at all. 

Developers are purportedly already eyeing the sometimes islands for a new Carlos and Charlie’s

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I completely forgot we used to have one of those.  

Starting tomorrow, several days in a row at 100* on the dot with the heat index.  And not a drop of rain.  Really glad we got so much late last week, it's gonna have to last us another hot spell or two. 

Who's this "we?"  Some folks in Austin got a lot, some got almost none.  

Sorry, we got lucky for once in our little neck of the woods.  Between Tue-Sat of last week, almost 3".  We missed out on most of the other (extremely intermittent and rare) rains some other patches of Austin got earlier this month and that 48 hour window back in August.  We got a lotta days in the mid to high 90's with no rain in sight to close out this weekend, for all of Austin.  It may feel better out to us, but the trees are still looking really fucking rough.  I have to put in a call to CoA to get some distressed oaks about 20-25' up before they fall into the powerlines.  And have to queue up now since it'll take 'em that long to get to me before the first freeze.  

You want 3 linear miles of those plastic divider things between the vehicular lanes and the bike lane?  City can do that overnight.  Want cracked tree limbs to ice over and fall over and over again onto power lines?  Best we can do is 2025.  

• Hook 'Em 1

IMG_1722.thumb.png.128decbc64f1ba8c9570caf07a70c203.png

The middle graph is precipitation in New Orleans this past August. The top blue line is the average rainfall in New Orleans in August - somewhere between 4 and 5 inches generally. it always rains a lot in the summer in New Orleans, with thunderstorms, almost every freaking day.

The bottom blue line is what we actually received.  So far, September is worse than August.

IMG_1722.thumb.png.128decbc64f1ba8c9570caf07a70c203.png
The middle graph is precipitation in New Orleans this past August. The top blue line is the average rainfall in New Orleans in August - somewhere between 4 and 5 inches generally. it always rains a lot in the summer in New Orleans, with thunderstorms, almost every freaking day.
The bottom blue line is what we actually received.  So far, September is worse than August.

You can blame me for last week. I brought the drought with me. Sorry about that.

On 9/18/2023 at 11:47 AM, YGIFS said:

Sorry, we got lucky for once in our little neck of the woods.  Between Tue-Sat of last week, almost 3".  We missed out on most of the other (extremely intermittent and rare) rains some other patches of Austin got earlier this month and that 48 hour window back in August.  We got a lotta days in the mid to high 90's with no rain in sight to close out this weekend, for all of Austin.  It may feel better out to us, but the trees are still looking really fucking rough.  I have to put in a call to CoA to get some distressed oaks about 20-25' up before they fall into the powerlines.  And have to queue up now since it'll take 'em that long to get to me before the first freeze.  

You want 3 linear miles of those plastic divider things between the vehicular lanes and the bike lane?  City can do that overnight.  Want cracked tree limbs to ice over and fall over and over again onto power lines?  Best we can do is 2025.  

Tell the COA the limbs might fall in the bike lane.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

You seem to have forgotten that we have a fucking DISASTER SCIENTIST on the Council and ready to act. Nothing to worry about.

Sadly she's proven to be one of the smartest and most capable members of the city council.  Low bar, obviously.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1