the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

And yeah--there are going to be some Fox News watchers who are going to be all "but it's the Democrats who voted to shitcan Kevin McCarthy."  Whatever.  Let me tell you something about those assholes: they're in it for Team Red.  And you know what's not fun?  Watching Team Red fight amongst itself.  Sorry, my sweet fans of the Spring Game, but watching your team kick the shit out of itself isn't very entertaining.  And like it or not, a whole bunch of MAGAts care about politics solely for the team-sport aspect of it.  Take that away, and they go back to watching Dancing with the Stars.

This cannot be overemphasized. Most of us here are from Texas and know multiple otherwise okay people who only vote the way they do because they've been led to believe R=good and D=bad. End of any thought process. I suspect our friend, Dbeasy, is a victim of this kind of Pavlovian response. Something bad happened? Blame. The. Democrats. 

A majority of Texans don't pay attention to shit (if they notice something, they'll reflexively click the remote to FOX), don't understand shit about fuck, and don't think things through. Hell, the majority of adult Texans don't even fucking vote.

It's only a fucking team sport to them, built from years of social indoctrination, lack of civic education/engagement, and the comfort of privilege. Maybe an extended government shutdown would be good in the long-term as people might, perhaps, maybe grock that a little government ain't such a bad thing.

Right now, it's just another teevee show to them.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 2

44 minutes ago, Pods said:

Both sides is a loaded term, because it's always a bullshit copout that obfuscates the actual problem and dissuades us from attempting to fix the actual problem.

Our massive deficits are because the Republican solution to everything for over 40 years has been to cut taxes on corporations and the ultra-wealthy, while exploding spending using their 2 Santas philosophy.

https://www.salon.com/2018/02/12/thom-hartmann-how-the-gop-used-a-two-santa-clauses-tactic-to-con-america-for-nearly-40-years_partner/

Republicans have spent 4 decades intentionally, and systematically, underfunding the government and not paying for the huge amounts of spending THEY have authorized. It's blatant dishonesty and and shameless politics.

We only hear Republicans cry about spending when the President is a Democrat. Our deficits under Republicans explode, while the deficits contract under Democratic presidents. 

Both Sides

image.png.dfa9663f1d1723dd805c1d8f4b253117.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

He is very popular among the SECrant crowd. Tells me what I need to know

He’s my congressman, I’ve met him multiple times.  He’s a “christian conservative” that loves to talk about how his faith shapes his policy positions.  He’s very slick under questioning too.  

He’s along for the ride with Trumpism and not a crazy conspiracy theory guy like Gosar, Gohmert, or Jordan. 

• Hook 'Em 4

MAGA supporters have to be shown where the MAGA agenda leads.  They have to be forced to see that it’s not just poors and browns who benefit from a functioning government.

The Dems may be tempted to massively compromise to avoid the suffering that will result from the GOP implosion, but it’s absolutely necessary.

I cannot believe the seemingly otherwise sane Republicans in congress have not been able to find a way to save the party from traitorous extremism, but it’s clear they cannot.  The only way out is to show the rubes that the emperor has no clothes.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He’s my congressman, I’ve met him multiple times.  He’s a “christian conservative” that loves to talk about how his faith shapes his policy positions.  He’s very slick under questioning too.  

He’s along for the ride with Trumpism and not a crazy conspiracy theory guy like Gosar, Gohmert, or Jordan. 

A "Christian" that supports an adultering, lying, vulgar POS?

Sure Jan.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/live-blog/house-republicans-choose-new-speaker-nominee-live-updates-rcna121674#rcrd22879

Amid the impasse, McCarthy is floating a plan that would reinstall him as speaker and make Jordan, a conservative Trump ally, the assistant speaker, according to three sources familiar with McCarthy’s pitch.

Asked why the idea — which lacks key details, like how it would be enacted and whether it could even gain enough traction to happen — was being floated now, a GOP lawmaker replied: “We’re desperate.”

While the idea might seem far-fetched and it has not been pitched broadly within the GOP Conference, it is being discussed among some Republicans after Emmer, the third GOP nominee, dropped his bid. A source briefed on the idea likened it to the Speaker Nancy Pelosi/Assistant Speaker Katherine Clark arrangement that the Democrats had.

“Kevin speaker, Jordan assistant speaker,” the source said.

Two GOP lawmakers described McCarthy as having melted down in conference meetings today because, they said, he is losing his ability to handpick a new speaker. He had two “outbursts” behind closed doors today, the sources say, that were about his objections to quickly moving to a nominating vote for Rep. Mike Johnson, R-La., the runner-up to Emmer, the lawmakers said.

“This isn’t how you elect a speaker!” McCarthy said in the room, a lawmaker said.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

The Dems may be tempted to massively compromise to avoid the suffering that will result from the GOP implosion, but it’s absolutely necessary.

This is the crux of the problem.

The GQP is determined to crash the car in the ditch. We're sitting in the back, with the establishment GOP in the passenger seat pretending like they are driving.

Unless the establishment GOP grabs the wheel away, something they have been unwilling to do, the GQP is going to put the car in the ditch. 

Democrats didn't create the problem and Democrats cannot do anything about it until at least 5 people flip, or the next election, whichever comes first. 

The only thing the Dems can do is fasten our seat belts, brace ourselves for impact, and try to warn people from getting in the car with lunatics in the future. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

Hearing somebody say, “I’m a man/women of faith and it guides me” is always a giant red flag

Agreed. Same as the assholes that put a cross/fish on every sign and business card, while making sure to pull the cross out of their shirt so it's prominently visible. 

If you have to do this, it's because your actions clearly stamp you as a shitbag. 

image.png.4d6559e99b1e4e933e9e48e7f0c90dde.png

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

This cannot be overemphasized. Most of us here are from Texas and know multiple otherwise okay people who only vote the way they do because they've been led to believe R=good and D=bad. End of any thought process. I suspect our friend, Dbeasy, is a victim of this kind of Pavlovian response. Something bad happened? Blame. The. Democrats. 

A majority of Texans don't pay attention to shit (if they notice something, they'll reflexively click the remote to FOX), don't understand shit about fuck, and don't think things through. Hell, the majority of adult Texans don't even fucking vote.

It's only a fucking team sport to them, built from years of social indoctrination, lack of civic education/engagement, and the comfort of privilege. Maybe an extended government shutdown would be good in the long-term as people might, perhaps, maybe grock that a little government ain't such a bad thing.

Right now, it's just another teevee show to them.

Hey go fuck yourself. Nothing I said was blaming democrats. I simply pointed out that the Democrats may be making a tactical error, losing an opportunity to advance their agenda. That’s not blaming them. It’s criticism. 

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Hey go fuck yourself. Nothing I said was blaming democrats. I simply pointed out that the Democrats may be making a tactical error, losing an opportunity to advance their agenda. That’s not blaming them. It’s criticism. 

The GQP has offered nothing to Democrats. There is nothing to negotiate or be bipartisan over.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

"never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

abraham lincoln

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Have they been offered anything? 

I haven’t heard any of the moderate Rs actually make an offer to get some help from the Ds to elect a speaker. 

This is all McCarthy’s fault. He is an extremely weak individual who has been enabling the zealots in the far R ever since he got to Washington. He had an opportunity to effectively neuter them at the beginning of this Congress by agreeing to some sort of coalition/power-sharing arrangement. 

There are at least 5 members of the R caucus who will vote against anything reasonable/rational which meant he would always need D votes to pass any government funding bills or debt ceiling bills.

There is no reason for the Ds to help them at this point. At some point the damage will be enough that either the Rs get to 217 on their own or a speaker will be chosen with D votes/abstentions which means the Ds need to get something for that.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

The GQP has offered nothing to Democrats. There is nothing to negotiate or be bipartisan over.

As I said earlier you don’t know that. Nor do I. The only thing we know is that no cooperation has occurred.

If it’s true that all of the Republicans are refusing to do anything, then of course the Democrats aren’t making a mistake.  

But if the republicans aren’t offering anything at all, why not point that out to the American people. Get public opinion on your side.

And as far as what to get, I’m suggesting that maybe supporting Emmer or a more moderate Republican might be enough at this point.  

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

As I said earlier you don’t know that. Nor do I. The only thing we know is that no cooperation has occurred.

If it’s true that all of the Republicans are refusing to do anything, then of course the Democrats aren’t making a mistake.  

But if the republicans aren’t offering anything at all, why not point that out to the American people. Get public opinion on your side.

And as far as what to get, I’m suggesting that maybe supporting Emmer or a more moderate Republican might be enough at this point.  

When I tell you the Republicans aren’t offering anything, I mean they aren’t offering anything. Dude, Emmer didn’t even get a floor vote.

Edited by Zonahorn
Forgot a word
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Zonahorn said:

Because the public is fucking dumb, dude 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Any negotiation doesn't even matter really. In the end, Republicans can't get anything out of their own meetings. Nothing can happen without them making it happen. They have only brought 3 floor votes with a candidate that was DOA.

Moderate candidates haven't even been brought forward for a floor vote. So any discussion about negotiations is pointless.

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

I cannot believe the seemingly otherwise sane Republicans in congress have not been able to find a way to save the party from traitorous extremism, but it’s clear they cannot.  The only way out is to show the rubes that the emperor has no clothes.

Their last best chance was after January 6. They could have convicted Trump, thus disqualifying him from office forever and excising the cancer. They would have been completely justified in doing so and I think many of them wanted to at the time. But it would have been a little messy, a little painful in the short term, and required a tiny bit of courage. So they said fuck it and immediately jumped right back in line. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 2