The Official 118th Congress 2023-24 Thread

Bullneck

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

What a bunch of dumb, evil fucks. 

The bad thing is, this isn’t Three-toes and Handjob Lauren and Matt Gaetz - some of these are more mainstream types, and they are clearly trying to help Trump any way they can.

1 hour ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

I like to think a Gunderson is finding work in all of this.

If they manage to fuck up my Federal Duck Stamp (so that I get a grace period when I pay for it, but the original hasn't yet arrived), I'ma fuck some shit UP.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, BamaATL said:

In tragic news, Chuck Grassley is the hospital with an infection.  

Go to the light Chuck, go to the light.  

I wish it was more serious so that he would at least have to retire. Sick of looking at that guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Has hell frozen over? Congress working together in a bipartisan way to achieve a win/win for their respective parties and constituents?

We don’t want to get too excited and spook the lawmakers, but Congress might actually be on the verge of agreeing to do something. A House Republican and a Senate Democrat who chair important committees announced yesterday that they’ve come to an agreement on a $78 billion plan that would implement a new version of the child tax credit and provide corporate America with tax breaks through 2025.

What’s in the potential bill?

Something for the Ds: The bill would help lower-income families get more refundable child tax credit, even if it exceeds their tax bill. Right now, most lower-income families aren’t able to claim even close to the $2,000 per child credit most middle- and upper-income families can. The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (which leans left) said the proposed tax credit could lift 400,000 children above the poverty line in the first year of the program.

Something for the Rs: It includes $33 billion in corporate tax breaks (that businesses can also take retroactively) related to costs for interest payments and research and development.

And for both: The whole bill would be paid for by sunsetting a fraud-ridden Employee Retention Credit.

unnamed(7).png.3f9b44420d1a6a4b46bbef91fa9b4ee9.png

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/congress-announces-tax-deal-expand-child-tax-credit-business-breaks-rcna134067

Continuing resolution passes the House with 207 R and 107 R.

Mike, you in danger, girl. 4th time a CR passed this congress with more Dem than GOP votes in a chamber controlled by the GOP 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Gaetz or January 6 seems to be the main speculation.  

I read also that it's entirely unrelated and about someone's finances.  Lots of wild speculation, no idea when this might come out, if ever.  

30 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I read also that it's entirely unrelated and about someone's finances.  Lots of wild speculation, no idea when this might come out, if ever.  

I thought I saw that it was a Democrat who was alleged to be misappropriating his security allowance.

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Ken Buck is a no on the Mayorkas impeachment.  This may not even end up on the floor. 

This whole thing is yet another reminder of the double standard in politics.

The Democrats attempt to do something against the norm: "Will they open Pandora's Box?  Have they thought about how this could end up hurting them down the road?"

Republicans attempt to impeach a Cabinet member for the first time in 150 years: "Yes, of course they are doing this."  Not a single mention of the new standard this would/could create.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 3

Don't know if this nugget got missed but seriously, wtf:  

"The Capitol Visitor Center has reported Rep. Rich McCormick to the House sergeant at arms, according to an email reviewed by POLITICO, accusing him of “unsafe actions” while on a tour of the Capitol’s dome Tuesday and doing pull-ups on railings suspended hundreds of feet above the ground.

The Georgia Republican went beyond a posted sign reading “no person permitted above this platform under any circumstances,” according to the email, and went over a safety railing at the “Tholos level” of the Capitol dome, more than 200 feet in the air. Staff photographed him straddling the railing and pretending to fall or slide over, the email said, and recorded him bypassing the safety signage.

He also reached up above the Tholos level to grab a crossbar and do multiple pull ups while his staff filmed, according to the account. McCormick told reporters Wednesday that he "didn't do anything dangerous.

'I used to get paid to jump out of perfectly good aircraft — this is nothing dangerous," McCormick said. He added that he has been in touch with House security personnel but maintained that "nothing unsafe was done."'

...Tour guides in the Capitol Visitor Center don’t have the authority to intervene in any actions by members of Congress, but the guide leading McCormick’s tour did pass along his and his staff’s behavior to superiors, who then alerted the House sergeant at arms. It’s unclear what punitive steps the sergeant at arms could take against McCormick."

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2024/01/31/congress/republican-reported-for-unsafe-actions-00138833

These people are unhinged.  

• Fuck Around and Find Out 3
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

Don't know if this nugget got missed but seriously, wtf:  

"The Capitol Visitor Center has reported Rep. Rich McCormick to the House sergeant at arms, according to an email reviewed by POLITICO, accusing him of “unsafe actions” while on a tour of the Capitol’s dome Tuesday and doing pull-ups on railings suspended hundreds of feet above the ground.

The Georgia Republican went beyond a posted sign reading “no person permitted above this platform under any circumstances,” according to the email, and went over a safety railing at the “Tholos level” of the Capitol dome, more than 200 feet in the air. Staff photographed him straddling the railing and pretending to fall or slide over, the email said, and recorded him bypassing the safety signage.

He also reached up above the Tholos level to grab a crossbar and do multiple pull ups while his staff filmed, according to the account. McCormick told reporters Wednesday that he "didn't do anything dangerous.

'I used to get paid to jump out of perfectly good aircraft — this is nothing dangerous," McCormick said. He added that he has been in touch with House security personnel but maintained that "nothing unsafe was done."'

...Tour guides in the Capitol Visitor Center don’t have the authority to intervene in any actions by members of Congress, but the guide leading McCormick’s tour did pass along his and his staff’s behavior to superiors, who then alerted the House sergeant at arms. It’s unclear what punitive steps the sergeant at arms could take against McCormick."

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2024/01/31/congress/republican-reported-for-unsafe-actions-00138833

These people are unhinged.  

Grease those crossbars. Don’t tell him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

On 1/31/2024 at 1:10 PM, HenryJames said:

d85557e4-bddc-4d18-8db0-97cb1bdc93ab.png

You know, Google maps says Singapore is 61 hours away by car (about 2000 miles) from China.

I also noticed the crescent on the S'pore flag.  

image.thumb.png.7dfec06ea9065f74847eded801f8dc1d.png

Edited by Bullneck

I think the bill is bad policy and I am not losing any sleep over it not being passed.

Republicans are also committing a huge political blunder with this whole saga and I am not losing any sleep over that either. They are passing up the chance to be able to claim they forced Biden/Democrats into doing something, and will now be painted as the party who dropped their own bill because Trump told them he wants to run on the issue. They've said the quiet part out loud and removed all pretense that they are anything but puppets for Trump's whims. The MAGA base will be as thrilled as ever but this is the first reminder of what I'm sure will be many for the small bloc of persuadable independents/moderates that these people are dysfunctional, cynical lunatics that cannot govern.

The irony is that Republicans couldn't get this bill or a similar bill passed with a trifecta. It will be the best chance they have to enact anything like this. For one they simply aren't competent enough to get the party united behind a single bill and pass it on their own, and they also wouldn't get any Democratic support as opposition like they are now; no way it would get 60 votes in the Senate when Democrats have nothing to gain by making concessions. Best case scenario they'd have to walk the plank and kill the fillibuster.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Republicans are also committing a huge political blunder with this whole saga and I am not losing any sleep over that either. They are passing up the chance to be able to claim they forced Biden/Democrats into doing something, and will now be painted as the party who dropped their own bill because Trump told them he wants to run on the issue

As Chip Roy said "give us something to run on, please!" 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/1/2024 at 3:15 PM, Js1 said:

Ken Buck is a no on the Mayorkas impeachment.  This may not even end up on the floor. 

Tom McClintock is also a no.  One more no and this will fail on the floor. 

They aren't going to impeach anybody.

• Hook 'Em 1

Border bill is dead in the Senate.

But McConnell and Cornyn are going to push for a standalone Israel/Ukraine/Taiwan bill, so feels like that is what will pass. 

So we wasted 5 months for nothing? This bill could have been done last year. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

"The government doesn't work anymore, nobody will compromise! Everything is too extreme! It's all political!!!"

Then a bipartisan border bill + funding for Israel, Ukraine and Taiwan comes through, and it's torpedoed by a small group of alt-right Trumpists.  

"But BOTH SIDES can't get anything done! They are all the same!!!"

Sure...

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1