The Official 118th Congress 2023-24 Thread

Bullneck

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

It’s that time of the year

“The debt ceiling! It’s our #1 issue! Besides blaming trannies and protecting the rights to shoot kids,we have to stop this debt problem! Can’t we think of the future! It’s debt! The libs!”

Funny how they never have a problem with raising the debt ceiling when a Republican is in the White House running up record deficits and debt. It really is depressing that their supporters are too fucking stupid to see the hypocrisy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Reminder—under the Debt Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution, the United States cannot default on the debt. Any law purporting to allow a debt default, such as the debt ceiling, is explicitly unconstitutional. For the US to default, the Constitution must be amended. The debt ceiling crisis is theater. Always has been. 

Section 4 of the Fourteenth Amendment:

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

If Congress will not act to pay the public debt, the Executive must act to pay the bills. If Congress and the President will not act, the Court must compel payment of the debt. 

Threatening a default is an empty threat. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2023 at 4:09 PM, Fastbreak said:

It’s that time of the year

“The debt ceiling! It’s our #1 issue! Besides blaming trannies and protecting the rights to shoot kids,we have to stop this debt problem! Can’t we think of the future! It’s debt! The libs!”

Clinton years: GOP threatens default and shutdown.

W years: GOP triples the National debt.

Obama years: GOP threatens default and shutdowns.

Trump years: GOP adds another $7 trillion in debt.

Biden years: GOP threatens defa…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

We’re gonna default aren’t we?

Yep.
Because one of our political parties is literally a terrorist organization. I’m serious. If you took away some of the identifying info, and described their actions and their platform in action as well as their violent rhetoric and acts to match, most everyone would ask “why haven’t you taken those terrorist fuckers out?”
  • Hook 'Em 2

Biden needs to utilize the power of his office. Call a national, primetime address. Lay out for the American people the lose-lose position presented to him by the GOP. Most of the country has no idea what a debt ceiling is, but will blame the administration of shit goes to hell (and Republicans know this.) He can accurately frame this for the electorate, but it will require the battle to be fought outside of Twitter and CNBC.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Biden needs to utilize the power of his office. Call a national, primetime address. Lay out for the American people the lose-lose position presented to him by the GOP. Most of the country has no idea what a debt ceiling is, but will blame the administration of shit goes to hell (and Republicans know this.) He can accurately frame this for the electorate, but it will require the battle to be fought outside of Twitter and CNBC.

This.

As Brisket has pointed out, the Republicans are terrorists and we don't negotiate with them.  The only solution is to go over their heads to the American people. 

It's so fucking annoying to read the lies of McCarthy and Boobert et al.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Biden / Dems need to step up the PR war

they need to publicly ask why the R’s want to cut VA funding 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.
Because one of our political parties is literally a terrorist organization. I’m serious. If you took away some of the identifying info, and described their actions and their platform in action as well as their violent rhetoric and acts to match, most everyone would ask “why haven’t you taken those terrorist fuckers out?”

Agree. 

Because of a stupid law passed by Congress in 1917, Congress has to pass legislation to raise the debt ceiling. If I were Biden, I would put out this statement 

“It the responsibility of the Republican controlled Congress to raise the debt ceiling. Every single congress before them has raised the debt ceiling, if the Republicans don’t follow suit, it is their fault. This has nothing to do with me.” 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

We’re gonna default aren’t we?

2 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

We’re not defaulting.  We are however about to not pay a lot of “discretionary” money.  It’s not the same but it’s going to be a shitshow.  Debt holders get paid.  

Like I been saying all along - it's a coin flip. 

34 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Biden / Dems need to step up the PR war

they need to publicly ask why the R’s want to cut VA funding 

This.

But considering most Americans think the president controls gas prices, it's going to be tough.

• Rage+1 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The deets on the Swalwell-McCarthy pissing contest:

BREAKING: Democratic Congressman Eric Swalwell gets into a volcanic, profanity-riddled fight with Speaker Kevin McCarthy — and the details are just too juicy to pass up. Buckle up, because this showdown was even more explosive than the Lauren Boebert VS. Marjorie Taylor Greene fight... According to a new report, on June 21st, the day Republicans voted on their sham censure of Representative Adam Schiff, Democrats stood up on the House floor to yell "Shame!" Swalwell was standing near the Speaker's podium and let loose on McCarthy— "This is pathetic. You’re weak. You're a weak man," Swalwell said to him, giving voice to the opinion that most Americans share of McCarthy.

McCarthy grew so visibly upset that he had a "vein popping out of his forehead" and he stared down Swalwell for "about 10 seconds before walking away." Things heated back up the next day. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the Capitol for a joint address to Congress. Right before he stepped up to the Speaker's podium, McCarthy spotted Swallwell and confronted him— "If you ever say something like that to me again, I’m gonna kick the shit out of you," McCarthy said to Swalwell.

The two men got up "in each other's faces" so that they were "basically nose-to-nose" and Swalwell said "Are we really gonna do this?" The two argued back and forth until finally McCarthy puffed up his chest and threatened physical violence again— "Call me a pussy again, and I’ll kick your ass," said McCarthy. Swallwell, never afraid to stand up to fascist bullies, looked him dead in the eye and clearly enunciated his response: "You. Are. A. Pussy."

The two men stared each other down until McCarthy caved like a coward and stepped aside to let Swalwell pass. Yet again, we see that McCarthy is a craven, yellow-bellied, spineless, cowardly jellyfish masquerading as a man. He's scared to stand up to Donald Trump and he's not even a tenth of the man that Eric Swalwell is.

• Hook 'Em 4

The two argued back and forth until finally McCarthy puffed up his chest and threatened physical violence again— "Call me a pussy again, and I’ll kick your ass," said McCarthy. Swallwell, never afraid to stand up to fascist bullies, looked him dead in the eye and clearly enunciated his response: "You. Are. A. Pussy."

Thats fucking great. Calls his bluff and McCarthy slinks away. You can tell McCarthy is an insecure pussy just by looking at him. 

Mccarthy.png.59b3483940427156fb3a0501f1f4bbff.png

• Haha 1

https://thehill.com/homenews/4123626-gop-congressman-curses-out-teenage-senate-pages/

Rep. Derrick Van Orden (R-Wis.) is in hot water after he cursed out a group of teenage Senate pages in the Capitol rotunda early Thursday morning. 

According to a transcript written by a page minutes after the incident and obtained by The Hill, Van Orden called the pages “jackasses” and “pieces of s‑‑‑,” and told them he didn’t “give a f‑‑‑ who you are.”

The pages are a group of 16- and 17-year-olds who assist Senate operations, and when the Senate works late — as it did Wednesday night on National Defense Authorization Act amendments — pages generally rest nearby in the rotunda. 

“Wake the f‑‑‑ up you little s‑‑‑‑. … What the f‑‑‑ are you all doing? Get the f‑‑‑ out of here. You are defiling the space you [pieces of s‑‑‑],” Van Orden said, according to the account provided by the page.

“Who the f‑‑‑ are you?” Van Orden asked, to which one person said they were Senate pages. “I don’t give a f‑‑‑ who you are, get out.”

“You jackasses, get out,” he added.

The incident, which occurred just after midnight, outraged members of the upper chamber, with one calling the string of remarks “horrible.”

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) later on Thursday took to the Senate floor to defend the pages.

“I understand that late last night, a member of the House majority thought it appropriate to curse at some of these young people — these teenagers — in the rotunda. I was shocked when I heard about it, and I am further shocked at his refusal to apologize to these young people,” he said.

“I can’t speak for the House of Representatives, but I do not think that one member’s disrespect is shared by this body, by [Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.)] and myself.”

Van Orden did not dispute the exchange and defended his actions when asked by The Hill. 

“The history of the United States Capitol Rotunda, that during the Civil War it was used as a field hospital and countless Union soldiers died on that floor, and they died because they were fighting the Civil War to end slavery. And I think that place should be treated with a tremendous amount of respect for the dead,” he said.

“If anyone had been laying a series of graves in Arlington National Cemetery, what do you think people would say?”

Punchbowl News was the first outlet to report the incident.

This is not the first time Van Orden has flashed his temper. Van Orden reportedly threatened a 17-year-old library page in his home state over a gay pride display and demanded to know who set it up. The page in question had set the display up, and she told her parents she did not feel safe to return to the library for work. 

Just a wholesome piece of shit.

Congressman_dvo_(1).jpg

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Js1 said:

It’s going to happen and they will, as usual, take the blame 

Yeah, but they're trying already to cast it in a different light of course.

“I’m probably going to do a press release and name every one of them and say these five members voted with the Democrats to not fund our military, defense, and not give a pay raise to our military personnel,” said Representative Mike Simpson, Republican of Idaho and a senior member of the Appropriations Committee.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/19/us/politics/pentagon-gop-bill.html

• 1 month later...