The Official 118th Congress 2023-24 Thread

Bullneck

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

But McConnell and Cornyn are going to push for a standalone Israel/Ukraine/Taiwan bill, so feels like that is what will pass. 

Not that I would credit the Democratic leadership for pulling something off this complicated and risky, but it seems like this is something this is what they would have preferred in the first place, kind of a “Don’t throw me in the briar patch.” kind of maneuver.  

Immigration remains available as policy leverage with a the GOP for something that the Dems want more.  

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She’s so thirsty for that VP spot 

I have seen that speculation before, and I don't think Trump would pick someone that looks like her. She's not pretty enough for him to be photographed with all the time. I think it's the same reason why he would never pick Greg Abbott to be his VP, because he would never want to be seen with someone in a wheelchair. He's just too superficial to pick anyone with any visible imperfections like that. I expect someone like Kristi Noem to get the nod because she looks like an HGTV house flipper who knows how to polish a turd. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:

I have seen that speculation before, and I don't think Trump would pick someone that looks like her. She's not pretty enough for him to be photographed with all the time. I think it's the same reason why he would never pick Greg Abbott to be his VP, because he would never want to be seen with someone in a wheelchair. He's just too superficial to pick anyone with any visible imperfections like that. I expect someone like Kristi Noem to get the nod because she looks like an HGTV house flipper who knows how to polish a turd. 

Her total flip into MAGAtard screams "I'm auditioning for the VP spot" 

I don't think she'll get it.  But she's fucking trying.  She's done a total 180.   Someone told her Trump is going to pick a woman and she thinks she has a chance. 

Edited by Js1

5 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I have seen that speculation before, and I don't think Trump would pick someone that looks like her. She's not pretty enough for him to be photographed with all the time. I think it's the same reason why he would never pick Greg Abbott to be his VP, because he would never want to be seen with someone in a wheelchair. He's just too superficial to pick anyone with any visible imperfections like that. I expect someone like Kristi Noem to get the nod because she looks like an HGTV house flipper who knows how to polish a mushroom. 

fify

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Say what you will about Donald Trump, but I think the true record-holder for the largest gap between office held and ability to hold such office is Mike Johnson.  That guy is (maybe) qualified to be a clueless backbencher who does exactly what the party whip tells him to do.  He has absolutely no business being within a hundred miles of the speakership--a fact he confirms every day.

• Hook 'Em 6

Say what you will about Donald Trump, but I think the true record-holder for the largest gap between office held and ability to hold such office is Mike Johnson.  That guy is (maybe) qualified to be a clueless backbencher who does exactly what the party whip tells him to do.  He has absolutely no business being within a hundred miles of the speakership--a fact he confirms every day.
Sir, he has a direct line to an invisible man who lives in the sky. What other qualifications do you need in republican Jesus land?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Ronna McDaniel, R.N.C. Chairwoman, Plans to Step Down

Donald Trump is likely to back an election denier, Michael Whatley, the head of the North Carolina G.O.P., to replace her.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/06/us/politics/ronna-mcdaniel-rnc-trump.html?smid=nytcore-android-share

That sucks, she's a born loser.  

vs paint GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

lol, lmao even

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They are bringing it back up tomorrow once Scalise is back. Why they didn’t wait a day, idk. They just ended up looking stupid today 

I'm shocked it made it to the floor. All of Republican leadership is functionally retarded.

So with Scalise back it goes to 215-216. Still a loss. Maybe it'll take another 14 tries.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, berlinerbaer said:

I'm shocked it made it to the floor. All of Republican leadership is functionally retarded.

So with Scalise back it goes to 215-216. Still a loss. Maybe it'll take another 14 tries.

Actually they just clarified he will not be back tomorrow. Also Moore only switched so they could bring it back up again later

52 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Looking good Billy Ray 

image.thumb.jpeg.a185536580bbebe2368283d864b3a8b2.jpeg

I knew they weren't doing shit but seeing it like this is just fuckin amazing. Infuriating that all these congress critters are taking $200k or whatever from taxpayers, not even trying to look like they're doing jack shit for their constituents, all while whining about libs wasting taxpayer money. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I feel like there is insufficient appreciation for the nihilistic calculus that the House GOP is working by. First of all, Johnson and all of the Freedom Caucus and most of the party are incapable of being embarrassed and are performing for an audience of one. Donald Trump. All they need is his “good boy.” 

They might prefer getting their maximalist aims but losing and not doing anything is almost as good.  Better in some ways, and always better that not getting every crazy thing you demand. Because if you lose, you can blame it on the Dems and RINOs.  And this gets you elected, fighting the Dems and RINOs. 

This explains why Trump spent two years acting like an opposition President while he controlled both houses. There has to be a powerful opponent to fight and you prove that by failing, over and over again. MAGA wanted to impeach Mayorkas but the Dems and RINOs stopped them!  MAGA tried to fund Israel but Dems and RINOs stopped them!  So vote more MAGA! 

I would bet that over 50 percent of the GOP electorate can’t tell you which party controls the House and Senate. Of the ones who can, most of them would still respond that the libs, RINOs, and Deep State “control DC” so of course MAGA can’t pass a gotdam bill. 

Democrats and some Senate Republicans keep behaving as if this group wants to do something and none of them or the media can grasp that not doing anything forever is a solid 1b where 1a is “Trump as God-Emperor.” 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Democrats and some Senate Republicans keep behaving as if this group wants to do something and none of them or the media can grasp that not doing anything forever is a solid 1b where 1a is “Trump as God-Emperor.” 

It's a nice little warmup act too for if/when takes office, they can rubberstamp anything he wants just like in fake democracies like Hungary or Russia and all glory goes to Trump for getting shit done.

• Rage+1 1

I know the focus has been on the Mayorkas shit show, but can we discuss the Israel bill for a moment?

The entire purpose of bringing the bill to a vote was to try and trap vulnerable Democrats.  But because of how it was brought to the floor it needed 2/3 vote to pass, thus giving endangered Democrats the ability to vote "Yes" without repercussion. 

Just incredible stuff.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I know the focus has been on the Mayorkas shit show, but can we focus on the Israel bill for a moment?

The entire purpose of bringing the bill to a vote was to try and trap vulnerable Democrats.  But because of how it was brought to the floor it needed 2/3 vote to pass, thus giving endangered Democrats the ability to vote "Yes" without repercussion. 

Just incredible stuff.

Johnson is a fucking moron of the highest order.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Not that I would credit the Democratic leadership for pulling something off this complicated and risky, but it seems like this is something this is what they would have preferred in the first place, kind of a “Don’t throw me in the briar patch.” kind of maneuver.  

Immigration remains available as policy leverage with a the GOP for something that the Dems want more.  

It’s not like Schumer, being the majority leader in the Senate, has just been twiddling his thumbs through all of this. It’s almost like people have forgotten that Mitch isn’t controlling what comes up for a vote anymore. 

18 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s not like Schumer, being the majority leader in the Senate, has just been twiddling his thumbs through all of this. It’s almost like people have forgotten that Mitch isn’t controlling what comes up for a vote anymore. 

Yeah, but with the filibuster, he is controlling what passes.

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah, but with the filibuster, he is controlling what passes.

It is certainly not Schumer's fault that he/the White House had a fucking bipartisan deal and then Daddy MAGA threw a tantrum and the Senate GOP derailed it.  Prior to Trump's flip out, they were estimating 15-20 GOP supporting the border/Ukraine/Taiwan/Israel deal. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Johnson is a fucking moron of the highest order.

It s pretty hilarious how ducking incompetent the Republicans are when it comes to this stuff.  Pelosi would never have allowed this shitshow to happen. 

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And Schumer is going to dare him to side with Putin on Ukraine aide. Then who’s controlling what passes? McConnell? Or Trump?

Mitch got what he wanted with the courts and Trump openly hates him, so I’m guessing Mitch.

I assume that Trump and Johnson will eventually apply enough pressure to get Mayorkas impeached. Trump wants Biden's border security on trial in the Senate.

Schumer should follow the McConnell Doctrine. We shouldn't hold a trial for a Cabinet member in an election year. It's unprecedented to do so just like holding a vote for a SCOTUS nominee from the other party.

Set the trial for the day after the election. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I assume that Trump and Johnson will eventually apply enough pressure to get Mayorkas impeached. Trump wants Biden's border security on trial in the Senate.

Even though they have the option to try again, I don’t know if they want to risk it again, because it was humiliating.  Republicans almost need a distraction from this distraction because it’s just making them look incompetent.