2023 Dallas Cowboys "We Suck Again" Off-Season Thread

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Parsons is often winded, gasping, even asking for a timeout. Why? because he's out of position.  If the change is ever made back to roaming LB, you'll see how right I am. 

All DEs are constantly rotating in and out because the play-to-play demands of the position. You have no idea what you’re talking about. 

19 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Seems the first sentence is the right course of action if the unwritten piece is, "as long as he takes a significant pay cut and is cool with a vastly reduced role".  Then when they later cut him, it's easy to say they wanted him but in a different way.  The second sentence is mind bottling - of course Zeke sucked last year too, so no real drop off from then i guess. 

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

No penalty or cost for cutting him, so of course we should keep Zeke. Ugh 

They still take a dead-cap money hit of $11.9mil  though if they cut Zeke...

"Elliott is under contract through 2026 as part of his six-year, $90 million extension he signed in 2019, although the Cowboys could move him if needed. The team will save $4.9 million against the cap if he is traded or released before June 1, per Spotrac, leaving $11.9 million in dead-cap money."

Dallas Cowboys bring back ultra-veteran O-line coach Mike Solari

Eight head coaches later, Mike Solari is back in Dallas.

ZACH BARNETT         2 HOURS AGO

The Dallas Cowboys have a new offensive line coach, who isn't exactly a new offensive line coach.  Team management informed multiple writers at the Senior Bowl on Wednesday that the team is hiring Mike Solari as its offensive line coach, for what will be Solari's 48th year in coaching and his 33rd at the NFL level.

In fact, the 68-year-old Solari's first NFL job came in Dallas, as the Cowboys' assistant offensive line coach and special teams coach. That was way back in 1987-88, when Tom Landry was the head coach. Before Jerry Jones bought the team. 

Can you imagine a time when Jerry didn't own the Cowboys? Mike Solari can, and he's got the paystubs to prove it. 

A list of Cowboys head coaches in between Landry and McCarthy:

-- Jimmy Johnson
-- Barry Switzer
-- Chan Gailey
-- Dave Campo
-- Bill Parcells
-- Wade Phillips
-- Jason Garrett

In fact, Jones's 1989 purchase of the team set Solari on his way. Jones famously fired Landry upon purchasing the team, and Solari's next job came as the offensive line coach of the Cardinals. The Phoenix Cardinals.

After a 2-year stint at Alabama, Solari has coached offensive linemen for the 49ers, Chiefs (including two years as OC), Seahawks, 49ers again, Packers, Giants, and the Seahawks again. He was Seattle's offensive line coach for the past four seasons.

And now, eight head coaches later, he's back in Dallas.

They still take a dead-cap money hit of $11.9mil  though if they cut Zeke...
 "Elliott is under contract through 2026 as part of his six-year, $90 million extension he signed in 2019, although the Cowboys could move him if needed. The team will save $4.9 million against the cap if he is traded or released before June 1, per Spotrac, leaving $11.9 million in dead-cap money."

If you cut him it’s an $11.9 hit. If you keep his sorry ass it’s a $16.7 mil hit. So you save $5 mil. If you cut in 2024 it’s a $6 mil hit vs $14 mil in salary. I’m cutting him now.

So you cut him and get $5 back. If you franchise Pollard it’s going to be about $11m. Do you keep him or let him walk?

I’m thinking Jerry is going to redo Dak to a long term deal.

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’m thinking Jerry is going to redo Dak to a long term deal.

Yeah, there is a lot of talk about restructuring DAKs contract to free up money to help add players who will replace several of the current Cowboy players that will be lost in free agency.  Whenever a QB gets signed to the larger contracts like DAK's, you have to sign more younger less expensive players and have success in the NFL draft for a shot to win in the playoffs.

Even Kansas City is starting to have more roster problems due to the salary cap.  Brady knew this in New England, and was willing to take less money so the Patriots could sign other veterans to be able to keep returning to the Super Bowl.  Belichick constantly let a lot of more expensive veterans go just to help manage their salary cap effectively. (Of course Brady also made plenty of Ad money, and also had a highly compensated Super Model spouse. )

That's why Zeke's long term contract was so ridiculous and has been crippling Dallas for several years.  RB is no longer a position that you can afford to pay high dollars to and assemble the best roster with a QB that's getting paid $40mill+.  Jerruh & Stephen need to stop making dumb long-term contract decisions like Zeke's.

Edited by LTtxfan

Jerry and Stephen also could do a lot more to spend a lot more but they are actually among the lowest spending owners in the league. They have all the writers spitting the "no cap room" line perpetually but you look at teams like Buffalo, Philly, and the Rams seem to have an unlimited cap because they essentially do.

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I don’t know if I’d sign Jim Brown to a big $ second contract in this type environment. The pool of very good ones is huge coming each year; all your RBs should be on rookie deals or affordable journeyman contracts.

Which, brings up interesting questions right?

First and foremost as a young athlete, wouldn't you change your specialization to something that isn't a commodity with the lowest value? Young RB's are going to convert to different positions you'd think, just like people don't study COBOL anymore but are studying Python or whatever coding language pays.

Next, what (if anything) should the NFL do about protecting the position from being a devalued commodity that uses and abuses people and gives a short shelf life?

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I don’t know if I’d sign Jim Brown to a big $ second contract in this type environment. The pool of very good ones is huge coming each year; all your RBs should be on rookie deals or affordable journeyman contracts.

I don't know about big money but someone like Pollard who is a receiving threat add much as a running threat is way more valuable than someone like Zeke. The higher percentage you use him as a receiver the longer he'll last as well.

I'm cool with Bijan at the end of the first especially if they franchise Pollard. That's a ton of versatility and the new OC could do crazy stuff like go to a big 22 personnel package with them both to force DCs to either stay small or matchup with size. If they stay small run on them. If they run their base 3 LB packages in then you can motion one or both of Bijan and Pollard and essentially have a legit 3 receiver set against a base defense and TEs like Ferguson and Hendershott that can beat most LBs in routes. Matchup nightmares can be created. 

If not that then if a legit first round corner is available I'd look there. Then try to get a back on day 2. What is the free agent WR crop this year? They really need a guy or 2 with experience to come in.  

7 hours ago, 'stache said:

I thought he already said he was willing to redo the contract? Keep him if the money works.

no reason at all to keep him.  malik davis gives you more.  a UDFA gives you more.  zeke is used up and done.  he is not a good football player and not worthy of a roster spot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know about big money but someone like Pollard who is a receiving threat add much as a running threat is way more valuable than someone like Zeke. The higher percentage you use him as a receiver the longer he'll last as well.
I'm cool with Bijan at the end of the first especially if they franchise Pollard. That's a ton of versatility and the new OC could do crazy stuff like go to a big 22 personnel package with them both to force DCs to either stay small or matchup with size. If they stay small run on them. If they run their base 3 LB packages in then you can motion one or both of Bijan and Pollard and essentially have a legit 3 receiver set against a base defense and TEs like Ferguson and Hendershott that can beat most LBs in routes. Matchup nightmares can be created. 
If not that then if a legit first round corner is available I'd look there. Then try to get a back on day 2. What is the free agent WR crop this year? They really need a guy or 2 with experience to come in.  

If zeke plays for league min I think he still might cost more than cutting him saves unless he pays back some bonus. I want him gone so there is no pressure from upstairs to use him. He needs to fucking retire as he’s useless.

If you cut zeke and franchise Pollard that’s $18 mil in cap for 23. If you keep zeke and franchise Pollard it’s about $30 mil in cap. Pollard is too expensive old and fragile to sign to a long term deal. One more season at the most and let him go.

I don’t believe in taking a RB in the first round. A solid OL will give you 12 - 16 years vs a RB you should use up in four. A CB or edge will give you 8-12. Otherwise trade back and get more picks.

The reason RBs are cheap with short careers is they get hurt and there are a jillion coming out of college that could run in the nfl. There will continue to be great RBs as they get the glory in high school and college. The league doesn’t need to do anything about the short careers of RBs. The cowboys should draft one in lower rounds and sign a few udfas and cheap FAs each season to find one or two.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I don’t believe in taking a RB in the first round. A solid OL will give you 12 - 16 years vs a RB you should use up in four. A CB or edge will give you 8-12. Otherwise trade back and get more picks.

The reason RBs are cheap with short careers is they get hurt and there are a jillion coming out of college that could run in the nfl. There will continue to be great RBs as they get the glory in high school and college. The league doesn’t need to do anything about the short careers of RBs. The cowboys should draft one in lower rounds and sign a few udfas and cheap FAs each season to find one or two.

I wouldn't take one high in the first but at the end of the first for this team that has about a 2-3 year window to win a Super Bowl and needs instant playmakers on offense I 100 percent would take Bijan. Mainly because he's just as much of a receiver as he is a RB and the likelihood of getting a receiver with that end of 1st pick who can come in and produce year 1 is very low. Their offensive line is adequate and not the reason they lost. They didn't go to Philly for the title game because they didn't have any playmakers once Pollard went down and they had a QB who made 2 really stupid reads and throws.

The new OC and QB coach are coming to hopefully fix that but they need new juice on offense. I'd look for receivers in free agency or trade and look to bolster the defense with guys on expiring deals who teams are willing to trade who can be fit under the cap. 

To use a tired metaphor, we're arranging deck chairs on the Titanic, and on this voyage, instead of Jack and Rose we've got Dak and Jane Fonda.

I'm glad Moore's gone.  I don't have an issue with McCarthy calling plays.  Even when Rodgers wasn't doing his Superman thing, McCarthy called some great offenses in GB .

The problem is he's calling plays for Dak.  Maybe I'm 100% wrong and once we go into meaningful games when the opposing defense doesn't know our playbook better than our own offense, Dak won't be 'forced' into as many mistakes.   Possible?

But I still think we're closing the barn door after the horses are out.  And instead of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans...

Edited by Augustus

Cowboys' Jerry Jones: Eagles, Rams 'bet it all for a year' for Super Bowl; Cowboys prefer long-term approach

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-jerry-jones-eagles-rams-bet-it-all-for-a-year-for-super-bowl-cowboys-prefer-long-term-approach/

Don’t care if already posted…Too depressing to keep up in these.  I used to think, ‘fuck my old man may die without seeing Dallas win another SB’.  Now I’m like, I’ll definitely die without Dallas ever reaching another NFC championship game.  Thank God I barely give a shit - but deep down I care a little.  And I hate that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Well God knows we've taken the "long term" approach.

I've said this before but I don't care, I'll whine about it again.

The Cowboys advanced to their first Super Bowl when I was 5.  Won their first Super Bowl when I was 6.  They made it 6 more and won 4 more over the next 24 years, so the first 30 years of my life were a lot of fun being a Cowboys fan, and I expected it would be that way my whole life.

And it really should've been.  

Edited by Augustus

8 hours ago, Augustus said:

Well God knows we've taken the "long term" approach.

I've said this before but I don't care, I'll whine about it again.

The Cowboys advanced to their first Super Bowl when I was 5.  Won their first Super Bowl when I was 6.  They made it 6 more and won 4 more over the next 24 years, so the first 30 years of my life were a lot of fun being a Cowboys fan, and I expected it would be that way my whole life.

And it really should've been.  

You just watch! Even in 2030 cowboys will still be limping into the playoffs and winning one or less playoff games! 

Long term mediocrity and the excuse is the other guys bet the farm to win the SB now lol

Listening to a recent podcast (can't remember exact one) a long time Cowboy reporter stated that many around the league don't respect McCarthy as a playcaller.  It is a common belief that a large part of why McCarthy lost the Packers job is because his players didn't respect him running the offense.

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Cowboys' Jerry Jones: Eagles, Rams 'bet it all for a year' for Super Bowl; Cowboys prefer long-term approach

Dallas, Washington and Detroit: the only teams in the conference not to appear in the NFC Championship Game in the last, what, 27 years?

Excellent strategy Jerruh, and you are executing it flawlessly.

Also, and I know the fallacy of expecting an Arkie dumbass to comprehend this, but the Eagles and Rams have both been to more than one Super Bowl in the past few years, so maybe 'ol Jerruh ought to pay attention to their systems.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Dallas, Washington and Detroit: the only teams in the conference not to appear in the NFC Championship Game in the last, what, 27 years?

Excellent strategy Jerruh, and you are executing it flawlessly.

Also, and I know the fallacy of expecting an Arkie dumbass to comprehend this, but the Eagles and Rams have both been to more than one Super Bowl in the past few years, so maybe 'ol Jerruh ought to pay attention to their systems.

+rep because I had completely forgot about the Rams laying an egg in a 13-3 stinker in 2019.

• Hook 'Em 1

Screenshot_20230204-163647_kindlephoto-4975969.thumb.png.0b023535be038de7ee6fdbb2a444b440.png

By SportsDay Staff      Feb 4, 2023

The Cowboys on Saturday afternoon announced that Brian Schottenheimer will be the team’s new offensive coordinator, replacing Kellen Moore.

“I am very happy to have Brian take on this key role with our team. He has been an important part of our staff already and has a great grasp of where we are and where we want to go,” Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said in a news release.

Schottenheimer, a veteran coach and son of former NFL coach Marty Schottenheimer, served as a consultant for the Cowboys during the 2022-23 season.

The Dallas Morning News reported last weekend that Moore and the organization had mutually agreed to part ways and that McCarthy would call the offensive plays for the Cowboys in 2023. It didn’t take long for Moore to find a new home, as the Los Angeles Chargers named him their offensive coordinator on Monday.

The organization had interviewed others for the role this week, including Vikings tight ends/passing game coordinator Brian Angelichio on Thursday, according to ESPN, and Carolina running backs coach Jeff Nixon and Los Angeles Rams tight ends coach Thomas Brown.

Schottenheimer’s last stint as an offensive coordinator was with the Seattle Seahawks from 2018 to 2020. He also served as the quarterbacks coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2021 before joining the Cowboys in 2022.

C’mon Jerry this is boring. We know this bullshit retread ain’t gonna work.

I mean if in a world where this was even possible if Jerry got Pat and Andy to leave KC and come here next year you just know the week before the Divisional Round Pat’s brother would get like 4 key players caught in some dumbass incident out partying on his brothers name and Andy’s kid would kill some Dallas socialite in a drunk driving accident. The team would be shorthanded/distracted and lose. It would be the same result but at least the journey would be entertaining.

If you’re gonna suck at least make it a shitshow trainwreck to watch.

Fucking Schottenheimer

giphy.gif