2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

I’ve expanded my territory this year, bare bones San Antonio analysis: 

Helobious Poll - SA Edition

1. Steele - knights of old have returned after a few down years

2. Smithson Valley - The best program in the state that has never and will never win a state championship, change my mind.

3. Brennan - Dubose twins are gone, but there’s still a lot of good players there. That’ll be $9.95.

4. Johnson - Who needs defense when you have a metric fuckton of offense?

5. Reagan - Transfer QB & country star Brad Jackson joins the team from Cypress Woods.

*look for Judson to not suck this year though

Players:

Ty Hawkins - QB, Johnson (JR): committed to TCU. Damn good baseball player too. On record as hyping up this kid since he was a freshman. More evidence of me not being wrong all the time. 

Freddie Dubose - WR, Smithson Valley (SR): committed to the good guys

Chad Warner - QB, Steele (JR): Leader of a finally reloaded Steele program. Also looks like Spencer Rattler 

James Peoples - RB, Vets Memorial (SR): Ohio State commit. Booooo

Jaden Perez - WR, Brandeis (JR): a blazer who I actually saw in person last month at the Aloha shaved ice in stone oak. Can confirm he’s 6’1. Has offers from TCU, Arkansas, Miami. Órale carnal.

Myles Davis - S, Judson (SR): A jazz pioneer  and one of the most innovative musicians of the 20th century, his influence can still be heard in many contemporary pieces.

Jordan Clay - WR, Madison (SO): a lot of great players have come through Madison, can’t recall any that were 1st team all district as a freshman like he was.

Michael Terry - QB/WR/KR/Football Jesus, Alamo Heights (JR): Scary Terry takes over under center (maybe) but he’s electric no matter where he lines up. All kinds of offers.

Keven Hernandez - QB, Burbank (JR): take Vince Young, but make him 5’9” and part hispanic. You’ll get this kid, wearing #10 and all. Put a moribund inner-city program on his shoulders as a sophomore and led them to a 7-4 record and the playoffs last year. Good for a few jaw-dropping plays a game, I think he’d shine as a WR or DB at the next level. Probably not a huge college prospect.

**Helo’s Homies** - highlighting some homie-american players from around the state that you’ll see on saturdays & even sundays maybe.

Devin Sanchez - CB, North Shore (JR): I don’t need to tell you about this guy. Only question about him is if he’ll be a Buckeye or a Crimson Tide in college.

Noah Lugo - QB, Eaton (SR): UTSA commit and high quality hurdler on the track. In my opinion the most underrated QB in the class, hopefully the Roadrunners hang on. He’s going to be a star.

Daniel Cruz - OL, Richland (SR): our center of the future.

Marcos Davila - QB, Midland Leegacy (SR): Purdue commit. Has legit NFL size. Gives me the opposite gut feeling from Lugo, because I think Davila will suck in college. What Purdue QB since Brees hasn’t sucked. 

Ryan Estrada - RB, El Paso El Dorado (SO): if I’m Sark I’m calling every 2026 top RB prospect and telling them to go fuck themselves. The guy I want plays for the El Dorado Aztecs. Probably my favorite player in the state, has offers from Baylor, Tech, UTEP, UTSA already, unheard of number of FBS offers for an El Paso freshman. Insert the “and he can pass!” gif from Friday Night Lights. The kid is a playmaker.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

Ask and you shall receive @956 Worldwide

New stuff: I’ll hopefully be doing a mid season & end of regular season update. After the season is entirely over I’ll name my valley team of the year & give out what I’ve dubbed the “Chingón Trophy”, basically an RGV Heisman. I’ll donate $100 to my personal savings account in that player’s name. 

Chingón Trophy Preseason Watchlist:

Ale Aparicio - QB, PSJA North (SR): Every so often a valley football star reaches local folk hero status, and that’s where Aparicio is now. 4 year starter that just has an “it” factor and charisma that goes beyond stats. People come out to see him. Has a preferred walk-on offer from UTRGV so far.

Fabian Garcia - RB, San Benito (SR): 2,000 yard rusher that shitfucked the SA Taft defense in the playoffs last year to lead the hounds to a 2nd round win. He’s a mighty mouse that just puts 100% into every play. Just give him the ball and get the fuck out the way.

Sterling Tomlin - LB, Harlingen (JR): next up in the line of great LBs we’ve had over the years, perhaps the best athlete out of all of them. Shined as a sophomore on varsity last season and was named all-district defensive newcomer of the year.

Robert Pineda - QB, Los Fresnos (SO): first team all-district as a freshman last year. I can only describe him as a Mexican Michael Vick, hopefully no dogfighting. I think he’s got a shot to be the best player to ever come through there. 

Braxton Speights - RB/LB, McAllen Memorial (FR)- The last of the Speights boys reaches high school. Allegedly not as good a football player as his brothers were, but maybe he’ll surprise and join the two of them in the top 20 of Texas high school career rushing leaders.

Honorable mentions:

Jaime Lopez - QB, PSJA (SR)

Aiden Flores - WR, Harlingen (SO)

Jaxson Shupe - WR, Edinburg Vela (SR)

Leroy Palacios - DB/WR, PSJA North (SR)

Joe Derek Vecchio - OL, PSJA North (SR)

Tyler Ruiz - QB/WR, Edinburg North (SO)

Helobious Power Rankings

1. PSJA North - Here’s your bold prediction… Ale Aparicio and The Alphabets will make the 5A state title game. You look me in the eye and tell me a team returning 20 of 22 starters from a 13-1 regional finalist squad has no shot. They’re legitimately big in the trenches, not just valley big. They’re an extreme run heavy team yet they were two wins shy of a 7on7 state title over the summer, going 4-2 at the state tourney. They can sling it if they need to and if they open up the playbook watch out. If you need any more reason to cheer for them they take the field with a flag that just says “PPR” on it. Puro Pinche Raiders, bitch.

2. Edinburg Vela - it’s gutcheck time for the Sabercats. A solid 6 or 7 year run where they were the unquestioned class of the RGV, and they were thoroughly unseated by the alphabets last year. Rotated 3 QBs, each one worse than the last. They’ll need that figured out to improve this year. On top of that it sounds like Edinburg North is becoming the trendy school for young edinburg athletes. Has the sun set on the Vela empire? 

3. Harlingen - had one of our best years ever last year, 12-1 with a playoff win over an SA school. But most of those guys are gone now. We’ll see how the 4 new OL starters gel with returning QB Randy Morales. Defense will be led by DL Garza and LB Tomlin. Multiple people (2) have told me soph WR Flores will be our best WR since Randy Bermea.

4. San Benito - solid core returning, including bellcow Fabian Garcia. Battle of the Arroyo will decide the 32-6A champion.

5. Los Fresnos - A lot of teams could’ve gone here. PSJA, Weslaco, Edinburg North… but those teams don’t have Robert Pineda and the Falcons do. That’s how good I think he is.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I’ve expanded my territory this year, bare bones San Antonio analysis: 

Helobious Poll - SA Edition

1. Steele - knights of old have returned after a few down years

2. Smithson Valley - The best program in the state that has never and will never win a state championship, change my mind.

3. Brennan - Dubose twins are gone, but there’s still a lot of good players there. That’ll be $9.95.

4. Johnson - Who needs defense when you have a metric fuckton of offense?

5. Reagan - Transfer QB & country star Brad Jackson joins the team from Cypress Woods.

*look for Judson to not suck this year though

Players:

Ty Hawkins - QB, Johnson (JR): committed to TCU. Damn good baseball player too. On record as hyping up this kid since he was a freshman. More evidence of me not being wrong all the time. 

Freddie Dubose - WR, Smithson Valley (SR): committed to the good guys

Chad Warner - QB, Steele (JR): Leader of a finally reloaded Steele program. Also looks like Spencer Rattler 

James Peoples - RB, Vets Memorial (SR): Ohio State commit. Booooo

Jaden Perez - WR, Brandeis (JR): a blazer who I actually saw in person last month at the Aloha shaved ice in stone oak. Can confirm he’s 6’1. Has offers from TCU, Arkansas, Miami. Órale carnal.

Myles Davis - S, Judson (SR): A jazz pioneer  and one of the most innovative musicians of the 20th century, his influence can still be heard in many contemporary pieces.

Jordan Clay - WR, Madison (SO): a lot of great players have come through Madison, can’t recall any that were 1st team all district as a freshman like he was.

Michael Terry - QB/WR/KR/Football Jesus, Alamo Heights (JR): Scary Terry takes over under center (maybe) but he’s electric no matter where he lines up. All kinds of offers.

Keven Hernandez - QB, Burbank (JR): take Vince Young, but make him 5’9” and part hispanic. You’ll get this kid, wearing #10 and all. Put a moribund inner-city program on his shoulders as a sophomore and led them to a 7-4 record and the playoffs last year. Good for a few jaw-dropping plays a game, I think he’d shine as a WR or DB at the next level. Probably not a huge college prospect.

**Helo’s Homies** - highlighting some homie-american players from around the state that you’ll see on saturdays & even sundays maybe.

Devin Sanchez - CB, North Shore (JR): I don’t need to tell you about this guy. Only question about him is if he’ll be a Buckeye or a Crimson Tide in college.

Noah Lugo - QB, Eaton (SR): UTSA commit and high quality hurdler on the track. In my opinion the most underrated QB in the class, hopefully the Roadrunners hang on. He’s going to be a star.

Daniel Cruz - OL, Richland (SR): our center of the future.

Marcos Davila - QB, Midland Leegacy (SR): Purdue commit. Has legit NFL size. Gives me the opposite gut feeling from Lugo, because I think Davila will suck in college. What Purdue QB since Brees hasn’t sucked. 

Ryan Estrada - RB, El Paso El Dorado (SO): if I’m Sark I’m calling every 2026 top RB prospect and telling them to go fuck themselves. The guy I want plays for the El Dorado Aztecs. Probably my favorite player in the state, has offers from Baylor, Tech, UTEP, UTSA already, unheard of number of FBS offers for an El Paso freshman. Insert the “and he can pass!” gif from Friday Night Lights. The kid is a playmaker.

About Lugo...

On 8/11/2023 at 9:09 PM, markstanco said:

Let’s take a look at the DUMBEST stadium layout in all of texas HS football. Texarkana Pleasant Grove:

d6bcecc42cf650400c71e3e0f17f23fa.jpg

Enjoy the shade visitor fans and visitor team while the home team and fans bake.

Was that a morning practice or scrimmage?   Then most home stands will be facing the east and the sun.  Most games are played in the evening and the sun will be blasting visitors side if it faces west until October when usually the majority of the game is played without the sun still being up if at all.   

Thanks, @Helobious.  You’ve done a lot more research than me, but a few thoughts. I’m ready to bite on PSJN as a semifinalist. They’ll have to then get past your SV program or whomever emerges out of the College Station/Cedar Park district most likely and that’s a different deal than getting past the CC hump. I do think realignment has made 5ADI the best path for a 956 team going forward.

Harlingen-San Benito is going to be the 956 game to watch every year. SB has more returning, we thumped them last year. It’s in SB and we no longer have an automatic coaching and mental edge. I think this comes down to how well we replace last year’s big (for Harlingen OL). We will be set on defense. 

I’d enjoy a long beer-fueled discussion on whether Smithson Valley or CC Calallen is the best program that will never win state. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

13 hours ago, Helobious said:

Makes me feel good about UTs chances.

Edited by Post Oak

9 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Was that a morning practice or scrimmage?   Then most home stands will be facing the east and the sun.  Most games are played in the evening and the sun will be blasting visitors side if it faces west until October when usually the majority of the game is played without the sun still being up if at all.   

That would be a scrimmage vs Mt Pleasant. About 6:15 PM.  Brilliant layout huh? 

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Thanks, @Helobious.  You’ve done a lot more research than me, but a few thoughts. I’m ready to bite on PSJN as a semifinalist. They’ll have to then get past your SV program or whomever emerges out of the College Station/Cedar Park district most likely and that’s a different deal than getting past the CC hump. I do think realignment has made 5ADI the best path for a 956 team going forward.

Harlingen-San Benito is going to be the 956 game to watch every year. SB has more returning, we thumped them last year. It’s in SB and we no longer have an automatic coaching and mental edge. I think this comes down to how well we replace last year’s big (for Harlingen OL). We will be set on defense. 

I’d enjoy a long beer-fueled discussion on whether Smithson Valley or CC Calallen is the best program that will never win state. 

I know we moved a DL to be the new center, we’ll see how he does. Biggest thing is we no longer have Bell to hand the ball to. He put the team on his back plenty the past 3 years. Nathan Huerta’s little brother will be a sophomore and part of the RB rotation. Dude is tiny right now though.

Speaking of Huerta, he’s actually at Texas State as a walk-on right now, made the fall roster. He played at Southwestern last year and had a decent showing. Hope he does well and gets to see the field some. I don’t know the last time we had someone make an FBS team even as a walk on. Probably Omar Hunter at Notre Dame.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Helobious said:

Ask and you shall receive @956 Worldwide

New stuff: I’ll hopefully be doing a mid season & end of regular season update. After the season is entirely over I’ll name my valley team of the year & give out what I’ve dubbed the “Chingón Trophy”, basically an RGV Heisman. I’ll donate $100 to my personal savings account in that player’s name. 

Chingón Trophy Preseason Watchlist:

Ale Aparicio - QB, PSJA North (SR): Every so often a valley football star reaches local folk hero status, and that’s where Aparicio is now. 4 year starter that just has an “it” factor and charisma that goes beyond stats. People come out to see him. Has a preferred walk-on offer from UTRGV so far.

Fabian Garcia - RB, San Benito (SR): 2,000 yard rusher that shitfucked the SA Taft defense in the playoffs last year to lead the hounds to a 2nd round win. He’s a mighty mouse that just puts 100% into every play. Just give him the ball and get the fuck out the way.

Sterling Tomlin - LB, Harlingen (JR): next up in the line of great LBs we’ve had over the years, perhaps the best athlete out of all of them. Shined as a sophomore on varsity last season and was named all-district defensive newcomer of the year.

Robert Pineda - QB, Los Fresnos (SO): first team all-district as a freshman last year. I can only describe him as a Mexican Michael Vick, hopefully no dogfighting. I think he’s got a shot to be the best player to ever come through there. 

Braxton Speights - RB/LB, McAllen Memorial (FR)- The last of the Speights boys reaches high school. Allegedly not as good a football player as his brothers were, but maybe he’ll surprise and join the two of them in the top 20 of Texas high school career rushing leaders.

Honorable mentions:

Jaime Lopez - QB, PSJA (SR)

Aiden Flores - WR, Harlingen (SO)

Jaxson Shupe - WR, Edinburg Vela (SR)

Leroy Palacios - DB/WR, PSJA North (SR)

Joe Derek Vecchio - OL, PSJA North (SR)

Tyler Ruiz - QB/WR, Edinburg North (SO)

Helobious Power Rankings

1. PSJA North - Here’s your bold prediction… Ale Aparicio and The Alphabets will make the 5A state title game. You look me in the eye and tell me a team returning 20 of 22 starters from a 13-1 regional finalist squad has no shot. They’re legitimately big in the trenches, not just valley big. They’re an extreme run heavy team yet they were two wins shy of a 7on7 state title over the summer, going 4-2 at the state tourney. They can sling it if they need to and if they open up the playbook watch out. If you need any more reason to cheer for them they take the field with a flag that just says “PPR” on it. Puro Pinche Raiders, bitch.

2. Edinburg Vela - it’s gutcheck time for the Sabercats. A solid 6 or 7 year run where they were the unquestioned class of the RGV, and they were thoroughly unseated by the alphabets last year. Rotated 3 QBs, each one worse than the last. They’ll need that figured out to improve this year. On top of that it sounds like Edinburg North is becoming the trendy school for young edinburg athletes. Has the sun set on the Vela empire? 

3. Harlingen - had one of our best years ever last year, 12-1 with a playoff win over an SA school. But most of those guys are gone now. We’ll see how the 4 new OL starters gel with returning QB Randy Morales. Defense will be led by DL Garza and LB Tomlin. Multiple people (2) have told me soph WR Flores will be our best WR since Randy Bermea.

4. San Benito - solid core returning, including bellcow Fabian Garcia. Battle of the Arroyo will decide the 32-6A champion.

5. Los Fresnos - A lot of teams could’ve gone here. PSJA, Weslaco, Edinburg North… but those teams don’t have Robert Pineda and the Falcons do. That’s how good I think he is.

Ale is out, if I’m not mistaken its a shoulder injury. 

14 minutes ago, ChingoHorns said:

Ale is out, if I’m not mistaken its a shoulder injury. 

I just saw that, happened in practice. Wonder if it was on one of those stupid toss plays where he turns into a blocker. Looks like he’s done for the year too.

Is my curse thing actually real

Just now, Helobious said:

I just saw that, happened in practice. Wonder if it was on one of those stupid toss plays where he turns into a blocker. Looks like he’s done for the year too.

Is my curse thing actually real

Practice injury but I wouldn’t doubt that it has to do with the QB lead block. Raymondville and PI do the same thing with their QBs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My goodness where did Vandergrift come from? Obscurity to playing for a state title game.

They've been good for a minute.  

2018  12-1, lost to State Champ Longview
2019  11-1
2020  10-3, lost to Hays in Regional Finals
2021  12-2, Lost to State Champ Westlake in Regional Finals
2022  14-2, Lost to DeSoto in State Finals

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Last matchup between Old High and Rider will kick off the regular season, Aug 25.  Still seems surreal.   Loved getting to play in this rivalry and experience the associated traditions. The Happening.  Mum Day, and whatever the hell the  other kids in red & black did.  It'll never be the same.

RIDER-VS-OLD-HIGH-2023.jpg?strip=1

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Last matchup between Old High and Rider will kick off the regular season, Aug 25.  Still seems surreal.   Loved getting to play in this rivalry and experience the associated traditions. The Happening.  Mum Day, and whatever the hell the  other kids in red & black did.  It'll never be the same.

RIDER-VS-OLD-HIGH-2023.jpg?strip=1

My kids played against those schools...why is this the last matchup?

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Krivacs said:

My kids played against those schools...why is this the last matchup?

building two new campuses.  Riveting names:  Legacy and Memorial.   I hate the lazy shit with the names, regardless of the actual improvements.

Hirschi, Rider, and Old High all in their last seasons in 2023.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

building two new campuses.  Riveting names:  Legacy and Memorial.   I hate the lazy shit with the names, regardless of the actual improvements.

Memorial is cool enough. Legacy.... oof. Safe bland meaningless focus group shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Pretty soon every school in the state is going to be called Legacy or Memorial.

Seems super unnecessary to me, they’re dropping down to two high schools, so one has to go, but why not just keep two of the three existing names and colors

• Hook 'Em 1

There are 4 “Veterans Memorial” high schools in South Texas alone. All called the Patriots or Eagles. I’d almost rather go to a school named after a racist. 

Shoutout to New Braunfels ISD. Somehow they’ve been a one high school district for 170 years (NB Canyon is in a different district). They just broke ground on their second high school, which will be called Long Creek HS and the mascot will be the Dragons. NBHS famously has the Unicorns as a mascot.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

There are 4 “Veterans Memorial” high schools in South Texas alone. All called the Patriots or Eagles. I’d almost rather go to a school named after a racist. 

Shoutout to New Braunfels ISD. Somehow they’ve been a one high school district for 170 years (NB Canyon is in a different district). They just broke ground on their second high school, which will be called Long Creek HS and the mascot will be the Dragons. NBHS famously has the Unicorns as a mascot.

It was pretty stupid that all the "Lee" schools essentially changed it to "Legacy"

Like come on, at least be unique.

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Sheesh, they've got history teachers, go find something interesting in American history or better yet your district's history.

The NB one is excellent.

A possible future Helo Homie to look out for: Caleb Cruz. He’s going to be a varsity starting cornerback for Permian this year as a freshman. I guess he tore up the camp circuit as he’s already been invited to the FBU Freshman All-American game. Sucks that mojo hasn’t been mojo in a long ass time though.

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

I heard the runner up mascot choice for NBISD's new school was another mythical creature, The Helobious Correct Prediction but they decided it was to lengthy 

• Drool 1

Thinking about taking the boy to the Duncanville game next Fri since Garland plays on Sat.  Anything I need to know?  Specifically, will I be able to walk up and purchase tickets?  I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I drove to a random HS game a few years ago, and was unable to get in.

I've tried using the DCTF high school app on my phone for following games and getting score updates the last couple of years, but it's a shit app that doesn't update as quickly as it should and I have to frequently reload it.  Anybody with a suggestion for an app that does update scores in a timely and reliable fashion?

On 8/17/2023 at 7:29 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

It was pretty stupid that all the "Lee" schools essentially changed it to "Legacy"

Like come on, at least be unique.

Even worse, SA Lee changed the whole name to an acronym L.E.E. (Legacy of Educational Excellence), of which there is no excellence neither in education nor athletics. Whoever came up with the idea should be tarred and feathered, there's plenty of SA born heroes to name your school after.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Even worse, SA Lee changed the whole name to an acronym L.E.E. (Legacy of Educational Excellence), of which there is no excellence neither in education nor athletics. Whoever came up with the idea should be tarred and feathered, there's plenty of SA born heroes to name your school after.

Somebody in SA should become the "Chili Queens"