2023 Thread of Racism in America

Horn Under a Bad Sign

• 2 weeks later...

https://apnews.com/article/oklahoma-newspaper-defamation-racist-comments-7a97e443a35097fa25617106ea20bafe

These last couple of reports/posts are a touch ambivalent.  Yes, the incidents stem from racism, but at least "the system" is neutral enough to provide redress.

Nonetheless, contrast the amount "awarded" to the actual victims of racism with the amount awarded to a white guy mistakenly or wrongly associated/accused of racism, in Oklahoma no less (in that place and context, you could see the guy getting 10 bucks and a pat on the back because he didn't say what he should have).

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s this guy. Same asshole who brought his band of neo-Nazis to Columbus and other cities in Ohio last year to protest drag shows.

IMG_9083.thumb.jpeg.6e8c922071665a098a05592e05a83a59.jpeg

Evangelical church working its way into a pretzel to support his work... 

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

There has got to be a "I hate Tennessee Nazis'' joke in here somewhere.  I'm losing my touch.  

More like ten-hundred-see Nazis. And you know who the leader was... You guessed it. 

• Haha 1

Remember the CROWN Act, meant to protect minority kids (typically black or native american) from school policies that discriminated against hairstyles that are a hallmark of their race/culture?  It don't mean shit.

Barbers Hill Independent School District Superintendent Greg Poole said the ruling “validated our position that the district’s dress code does not violate the CROWN Act and that the CROWN Act does not give students unlimited self-expression.”

“The U.S. Supreme Court recently ruled that affirmative action is a violation of the 14th Amendment and we believe the same reasoning will eventually be applied to the CROWN Act,” he said.

The court (Liberty County -- yes, exactly what you'd expect) ruled that EVEN THOUGH the law (Education Code) expressly says the following:

Sec. 25.902. PROHIBITION ON CERTAIN DISCRIMINATION IN STUDENT DRESS OR GROOMING POLICY. (a) In this section, "protective hairstyle" includes braids, locks, and twists.

(b) Any student dress or grooming policy adopted by a school district, including a student dress or grooming policy for any extracurricular activity, may not discriminate against a hair texture or protective hairstyle commonly or historically associated with race.

The court found that a policy that doesn't allow hair that extends beyond the eyebrows, earlobes, or collars, even if it's gathered on top of the student's head.....does not violate the CROWN act because it does not EXPRESSLY mention hair length, just "hairstyles."

Lawyers for Barbers Hill said lawmakers would have included explicit language about hair length had they intended the law to cover it. Allie Booker, representing Darryl George and his mother Darresha George, said protective styles are only possible with long hair.

“You need significant length to perform the style,” Booker said. “You can’t make braids with a crew cut. You can’t lock anything that isn’t long.”

Seriously.  The statute is not EXCLUSIVE, it defines "protective hairstyle" as one commonly or historically associated with race, and to be sure, it says it INCLUDES braids, locks, and twists.....which are literally impossible to create with short hair (the school absurdly says that on one hand, it "has always allowed braids, locs, or twists,".....but then has a policy that prohibits hair of the length necessary to create braids, locs, or twists).  The court's ruling is contrary to any rational reading of the statute, and violates two canons of statutory construction (the school's position is that "there can be no implied meaning with interpreting statutes," which is incorrect.  They are reading the word "including" as "including ONLY," which ignores the more open language of "hairstyle commonly or historically associated with race."  THAT is the defining language....and it just got chucked in the trash.)

But maybe even more disturbing was the quote from the jubilant racist school administrator:

“The Texas legal system has validated our position that the district's dress code does not violate the CROWN Act and that the CROWN Act does not give students unlimited self-expression,” Poole said.

Poole also suggested that a U.S. Supreme Court ruling on college admissions will have ramifications on Texas’ new CROWN Act.

“The U.S. Supreme Court recently ruled that affirmative action is a violation of the 14th Amendment, and we believe the same reasoning will eventually be applied to the CROWN Act,” Poole said.

And just like that, the fascist end-game is revealed.  They are going to take their reading of the 14th amendment as prohibiting affirmative action....to mean that the 14th amendment ALSO prohibits any law or regulation that....prohibits racial discrimination (because after all, prohibiting racial discrimination is just providing EXTRA protection, not EQUAL protection, to those races we want to discriminate against, amirite?)

Name a retrograde belief -- it is ascendant, and soon to be triumphant.  We are a broken fucking country.

For fuck's sake, why is it important for a fucking school to prohibit a student from wearing locks?  WTF is wrong with these people?

Here's the administrator's previous statement.  See if you can find the openly fascist and racist concepts laid out for you:

Earlier this month, Poole placed a full page ad in the Houston Chronicle, arguing that “being an American requires conformity with the positive benefit of unity.”

“The criticism from the Chronicle and other media is based upon assumptions that the school district is clinging to outdated values or social norms but academic excellence never goes out of style,” Poole wrote.

“The litigation is not about what is best for students. Barbers Hill ISD will continue to make decisions to protect and fight for the rights of its community to set the standards and expectations for our school district even if that path takes us to the U.S. Supreme Court.”

"Conformity with the positive benefit of unity."

Not about what is best for students.  Instead, it's to protect and fight for the rights of the community to set standards.  Standards like "you n-words shouldn't look so n-wordy."  For fuck's sake, fuck these people.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...

In their ongoing effort to outlaw black history in Florida, the GOP wants to make sure you know that some enslaved people were paid for their work:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/florida-republican-alex-andrade-slaves-paid-1234979351/

Florida state Rep. Alex Andrade forcefully argued the point that some slaves were paid during a discussion of an anti-CRT bill the House passed on Friday. The overwhelming majority of slaves were, of course, not paid for their labor. Moreover, slaves were treated as property, without basic rights.

• 2 weeks later...

What the NBC clip doesn’t cover is the predictable actions of the local butter biscuit politician, who got up in a public session and advocated on behalf of this racist. Disgusting:

• 2 weeks later...

It’ll be interesting to see what comes out. They tried to have a press conference today about this but it was interrupted by someone from the Idaho freedom foundation. Apparently IC-Irvine’s team had incidents as well

• Rage+1 5

9 hours ago, mchookem said:

the UTAH team was subjected to this?? damn...look out LSU lol

Actually, I think LSU, led by Angel Reese probably just gets the side eyes and looks. They are the NCAAW version of this meme:

image.thumb.png.a6b4be1481c14734819a9d750221fdf2.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

20 hours ago, Pancho said:

It’ll be interesting to see what comes out. They tried to have a press conference today about this but it was interrupted by someone from the Idaho freedom foundation. Apparently IC-Irvine’s team had incidents as well

For a quick minute I thought about Coeur d’Alene as a spot to move to to get away from the heat. That was based on one picture. I spent sometime googling it and realized very quick it is NOT a spot to move to. Frankly I concluded it rather dangerous for us. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, troph said:

For a quick minute I thought about Coeur d’Alene as a spot to move to to get away from the heat. That was based on one picture. I spent sometime googling it and realized very quick it is NOT a spot to move to. Frankly I concluded it rather dangerous for us. 

Subconsciously the European name probably made it sound progressive and liberal too, probably.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Subconsciously the European name probably made it sound progressive and liberal too, probably.

100% plus these kinds of pictures made me say fuck yeah then oh hell no. 

IMG_4476.jpeg

IMG_4477.png

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Black twitter has taken control 

Sequences like this, and the ones that followed the Montgomery riverfront brawl, just make it clear that if the MAGAts would ever get the stick out of their ass, they'd realize that black people are one of the key treasures that actually DO "Make America Great."  Come on, just counting the quick wit alone, America is fucking funnier than other countries because we have a sizable black population.  They make this place fucking WAY BETTER.  Hey MAGAts, just accept that black Americans are a fucking ASSET, not a liability, and this whole thing looks a whole lot better.  AND, bonus - you won't be fucking assholes.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, troph said:

Yeah, it's hard to imagine a worse place in America for you to move to right now. 

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, it's hard to imagine a worse place in America for you to move to right now. 

this was like 2 years ago but still yeah fuck that place.

Edited by troph

I'm on a CEO search committee and the search firm called a candidate a "diverse candidate" and another the "DEI candidate" and me and a guy that I've become friends with fucking face palmed right there on zoom together. what the fuck is wrong with people. 

11 minutes ago, troph said:

I'm on a CEO search committee and the search firm called a candidate a "diverse candidate" and another the "DEI candidate" and me and a guy that I've become friends with fucking face palmed right there on zoom together. what the fuck is wrong with people. 

Is your companies DEI program a forced program?  I was asked more than one DEI related question during a fucking recorded video interview within the last year. 2 out of 5 or 6 questions.  Was for one of the O&G majors. 

59 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Is your companies DEI program a forced program?  I was asked more than one DEI related question during a fucking recorded video interview within the last year. 2 out of 5 or 6 questions.  Was for one of the O&G majors. 

Nah they just looked at you and knew you’d eventually say some shit that HR would have to deal with.

Also lol at “ DEI program a forced program” like companies are forced against their will to do this, that just what your shitty supervisor says when they can’t articulate why.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Will you share an example of a kind of DEI question you were asked? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Satchel said:

Will you share an example of a kind of DEI question you were asked? Thanks.

Can you recall an example where having a diverse peer group helped you execute a project, and what were the benefits to the project?  Can you recall a project that would have benefitted from a team that had diversity, etc etc. Same type of stuff for the equitable and inclusive.   Wasn’t a big deal, I’ve worked all over the world with many different types of local content.  But it was really, really heavy on their “DEI initiative”, which they had 10 different hipster looking fucks explain in short videos.  I was told that going in, just didn’t think it’d make up a third of the questions.  

3 hours ago, Covri said:

Nah they just looked at you and knew you’d eventually say some shit that HR would have to deal with.

Maybe. Was already consulting for them so doubt it.

3 hours ago, Covri said:

Also lol at “ DEI program a forced program” like companies are forced against their will to do this, that just what your shitty supervisor says when they can’t articulate why

Lots of them weren’t doing ESG and DEI movements until their lenders that fund them said they had to.  Now, it’s super duper important. I’m sure it’s because they really really want to, though.  

13 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

What lender wouldn’t give your company a loan without you demonstrating your dei bona fides

That was ESG driven, and it was all the major lenders, and well reported. I feel like you know this and are just being a dick?  I couldn’t give a single fuck if you care to believe it or not. Another item in the tremendously long list that doesn’t affect me in any appreciable way.  But the memes are 🔥

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

That was ESG driven, and it was all the major lenders, and well reported. I feel like you know this and are just being a dick?  I couldn’t give a single fuck if you care to believe it or not. Another item in the tremendously long list that doesn’t affect me in any appreciable way.  But the memes are 🔥

I’m part of a group that just got approval for 25M and the only questions we were asked were to ascertain our ability to pay it back. We looked at several large banks including Truist BoA and Chase and a couple of regional banks so I want to know the lenders you have personal knowledge of who require that kind of documentation before approval 

20 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m part of a group that just got approval for 25M and the only questions we were asked were to ascertain our ability to pay it back. We looked at several large banks including Truist BoA and Chase and a couple of regional banks so I want to know the lenders you have personal knowledge of who require that kind of documentation before approval 

Literally Google it, or be ignorant on it, I couldn’t gaf. Conflating your 25m with large publicly traded oil co’s has got to feel like something, tho.  

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Literally Google it, or be ignorant on it, I couldn’t gaf. Conflating your 25m with large publicly traded oil co’s has got to feel like something, tho.  

Maybe I’m just bad at google but I don’t see anything about a company being required to demonstrate dei in order to obtain a loan. Are you talking about accessing funds guaranteed by tax dollars or something? Seriously just post a link