2023 Thread of Racism in America

Horn Under a Bad Sign

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yep. Looks like he's the first one to get arrested. The white hillbillies who started the entire thing wound up getting cuffed-and-stuffed, it appears though. We'll see if any of them get charged.

I just saw the one dude hit the lady over the head with a folding chair. That's going to be punished, no doubt. I think the rest of the women getting attacked came from other women.

I guess some of the people in the blue shirts were women that I initially thought were dudes

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/07/us/alabama-boat-dock-fight-warrants/index.html

Video has emerged of a fight between a man and a group of people who appear to be boaters on a riverfront dock in Montgomery, Alabama.

In one video posted to social media, a Black man, who a witness described as a cruise boat crew member, engages with a group of White men on the dock. Both sides appear to become increasingly agitated before punches are thrown.

Police were called to the area on Saturday around 7 p.m., the Montgomery Police Department said. It’s unclear what led to the confrontation.

When officers arrived, “they located a large group of subjects engaged in a physical altercation. Several subjects have been detained and charges are pending,” according to a news release from the police department.

Officers “acted swiftly to detain several reckless individuals for attacking a man who was doing his job,” Montgomery Mayor Steven Reed said in a tweet.

“This was an unfortunate incident which never should have occurred. As our police department investigates these intolerable actions, we should not become desensitized to violence of any kind in our community,” Reed added.

People can be seen in other videos coming to the first man’s aid and fighting with the group of apparent boaters.

Journalists from CNN affiliate WSFA at the scene “saw people in handcuffs,” the station reported.

“There are 4 active warrants at this time and there’s a possibility more will follow after the review of additional video,” Major Saba Coleman a spokesperson for the Montgomery Police department told CNN via email. The department said it planned to release more information about the incident later Monday.

“Those who choose violence will be held accountable by our criminal justice system,” Reed said.

Yeah there were a few too many women catching blows from grown men there. 
In a fit of anger, I can understand how it may be easy to mistake some of those gals for guys... especially when the females seemed determined to get into the mix.

The guy with the chair might have a problem, but then again you're not supposed to be hitting anyone with a chair. "I thought it was a dude" really only matters in the court of public opinion.

25 minutes ago, tchookem said:

In a fit of anger, I can understand how it may be easy to mistake some of those gals for guys... especially when the females seemed determined to get into the mix.

The guy with the chair might have a problem, but then again you're not supposed to be hitting anyone with a chair. "I thought it was a dude" really only matters in the court of public opinion.

It really pisses me off when women get involved and try to break up fights between two men. I hate that shit so much. I was very pleased when they got wailed on by the other women. They wanted to get in the mix shit got real for them fast. When keepin it real goes wrong, riverboat style.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, tchookem said:

guy with the chair has a felony level problem but goddam everything about that video made my day

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't understand what they keep pointing to originally. The dock guy said to move the boat because the dock is for the riverboat. Why do they keep arguing? Just move the goddamned boat asshole!

White entitlement and privilege is a hell of a drug. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Montgomery policy issue arrest warrants for three men who were central to the massive riverfront brawl.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/08/us/montgomery-boat-dock-fight/index.html

Richard Roberts, 48, was charged with two counts of third-degree assault, and Allen Todd, 23, and Zachary Shipman, 25, were each charged with one such count, Albert said. The chief described the three as White men who were connected to the private boat owner.

-------

Police also asked that a Black man who was seen in video swinging a folding chair to contact them for further questioning.

8 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Best part of the entire brawl is the black guy jumping off the boat before it docked and swimming across to get involved. Then he gets up on the dock and has the presence of mind to take his shoes off. 

8 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Some of the nicknames that have popped up for the guy that jumped in the water and swam over to the fight ere awesome:  L'll tilapia,  Kobe Kingfish,  Michael B. Phelps etc ..

7 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I don't know when I've laughed harder than I have at Twitter this morning over this Alabama brawl thing. Some of the parodies etc... are so creative/inventive. 

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The dude swimming up to join the party is the best part, lol. I hope the white family goes to jail for a long time for starting it, and it's fair if some of the others who went beyond self defense are charged as well. 

every single one of your racist mother fuckers had the exact same thought when you saw the black dude swimming across the harbor to the dock and you know exactly what it was...

77fb0ec58f5d66ceb2b2e42d8b1ac251cb53d629

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, sidis said:

every single one of your racist mother fuckers had the exact same thought when you saw the black dude swimming across the harbor to the dock and you know exactly what it was...

My thought was "Fuck, that dude is gonna be exhausted, he's going to get his ass kicked" 

Followed by seeing him haul himself out onto the dock and then kick his wet shoes off... "man, I'd have taken the shoes off before diving in, but I also wouldn't want to be in a fight barefooted"

After that, I was rooting for him, tired, barefoot, and soaking wet

Probably because I'm way more out of shape than I am a racist

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The dude swimming up to join the party is the best part, lol. I hope the white family goes to jail for a long time for starting it, and it's fair if some of the others who went beyond self defense are charged as well. 

If this was in the Banana Republic of Florida, You're allowed to defend others from bodily harm with deadly force.  So coming over and dotting someone's eye is A OK with me.  Although I guess the chair to the head was more of a crossing the T.

The first line of the Black National Anthem is; Lift every voice and sing…

We now have a new version that can be found on black social media along with other hilarious memes on The Riverboat Revolution:

Lift every chair and swing…  …folding chairs are now “freedom chairs” 

Black people have to find the humor in this kind of shit, because without it, we’d be the ones scaling the walls of the Capitol. I fully expect for there to be sermons on swimming as a metaphor for love preached in black churches across the country. We’ll all know the name of the 16 year old swimmer Sunday afternoon.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i’m dead…

I knew how it was gonna go down when I clicked it, though I had long forgotten the lyrics of a show we used to watch as kids.  And first ten seconds, I'm nodding along like it's a little clever when it's just another interwebs attempt at 15 minutes of fame.  And then "Keeping your head above water" as the dude's literally doing the breaststroke back to the dock.  OMFG, I almost pissed myself laughing.  Those lyrics have been waiting almost a half century for their big moment.  God bless.  

White people.  Bringing adirondacks to a folding chair fight.

17 hours ago, 'stache said:

They actually had an article about the brawl on NPR yesterday. That dude is 16 years old and now has a publicist ... no kidding.

I love America.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/8/2023 at 7:16 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Some of the nicknames that have popped up for the guy that jumped in the water and swam over to the fight ere awesome:  L'll tilapia,  Kobe Kingfish,  Michael B. Phelps etc ..

On 8/8/2023 at 8:37 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I don't know when I've laughed harder than I have at Twitter this morning over this Alabama brawl thing. Some of the parodies etc... are so creative/inventive. 

14 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i’m dead…

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

They actually had an article about the brawl on NPR yesterday. That dude is 16 years old and now has a publicist ... no kidding.

I love America.

I say this with zero irony: let there be no doubt that one of America's greatest treasures, one of the things that makes America truly great and brilliant, is "American black people."  The comedic genius that black Twitter/Reddit, and American black culture in general, bring to the table spans the spectrum from glorifying to self-deprecating, and is perfection.  You other countries have fine people/populations.  Good for you.  America also has Afro-American people and culture: game, America.

187145_ful.jpg

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I love America.

I’m pretty sure the publicist is his mom based on the message she put out. Things could have changed though. I’ve heard he has requested people stop sending him money.