2023 Thread of Racism in America

Horn Under a Bad Sign

28 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

"They'll never repeal Ro..., uh, The Civil Rights Act."

Republicans really are out to keep women and minorities down and they are very open about it.  Kirk is heavily involved with the Project 2025 bullshit as well.

Posted (edited)

What a weird fucking hill to die on.  Pissing away two more months of baseball that some of those Sophs and juniors need to be better next season to be in a position to get scholarship offers/drafted.  Because of a toddler outburst “no fair they get that word and we don’t!”

At the beginning of the story, I naively thought the beef was gonna be the lead off hitter, who usually hits in the bottom third, was put in the lead off spot due to pressure about giving black players more opportunities than whites.  I disagree, but I would get the rationale.  But no, it was not about that at all. 

here’s the twisted part.  The coach put them 1-2 in the lineup for the only time this season so they could both be abandoned on the field at the same time to watch the walkout occur alone.  And I’m thinking the other coach was told about the plan as well and had his pitcher throw away from anything contact ready.  

I get getting angry at a player in the heat of competition and calling some racial slur.  Ain’t right but it happens everyday in sports.  But this?  This took a year of planning and coordination.  That’s fucked up. 

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/39869353/fort-myers-high-school-baseball-racial-slur-walkout-boycott

What a fuckin mess.  A bunch of white grievance, but I can't help but think that none of the adults handled this very well.

No, the adults didn't behave properly at all. The weirdest but most predictable part of the article was the aggrieved walk out parents acting as if they were some sort of freedom fighters on behalf of their 'victim' status. Yeah, y'all get back to me when fire hoses and attack dogs are directed toward you as you exit the stadium.

That had to be one of the more stupid petty sports parent things I've read of late and it's not like there's not much material coast to coast when it comes to youth sports.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

It's just astonishing to me that it has to be explained like this, like teaching to a five year old. It's so obvious why it's different, but even with this explanation, the people who need to understand will intentionally go out of their way to push back.

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It's just astonishing to me that it has to be explained like this, like teaching to a five year old. It's so obvious why it's different, but even with this explanation, the people who need to understand will intentionally go out of their way to push back.

In my experience, though as a counterpoint, I saw exceptions made like all the time. And I know black people aren't a monolith, but it's extremely cringy to me when I hear Mexicans use the n-word, especially in mixed company. And black people don't bat an eye at it and are used to it, I guess. Maybe the Afro-latinos started it in NY or something and it slippery sloped to the Mexicans in Texas, but I always felt like they were violating when they did that but nobody ever checked them on it, so idk?

That said, back in my day we used to call white people who dressed and used urban slang so extremely and gratioustly that it was a caricature upon themselves as a word that is probably not PC today. Let's call it the W-word. It blew my mind even more when these guys were given a pass in mixed company to use the N-word. 

My son has always been a tall and gangly white kid, when he started getting older he would ask us to take him to the local rec center to play pick up games. He went to a lily-white private school and the culture schock was real for him. I remember once picking him up, he had to be almost 15 at the time, and he said, "Dad, these black guys all call me the n-word-- what's with that? Why do they do that? etc."

And I had no real good answer. I think I told it either means they like you or maybe it's just used like "dude". But it was a great teaching moment to a) never, ever, ever, ever, no matter what say or write that word and just pretend it doesn't exist and ignore it when you hear it..

YMMV

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

In my experience, though as a counterpoint, I saw exceptions made like all the time. And I know black people aren't a monolith, but it's extremely cringy to me when I hear Mexicans use the n-word, especially in mixed company. And black people don't bat an eye at it and are used to it, I guess. Maybe the Afro-latinos started it in NY or something and it slippery sloped to the Mexicans in Texas, but I always felt like they were violating when they did that but nobody ever checked them on it, so idk?

That said, back in my day we used to call white people who dressed and used urban slang so extremely and gratioustly that it was a caricature upon themselves as a word that is probably not PC today. Let's call it the W-word. It blew my mind even more when these guys were given a pass in mixed company to use the N-word. 

My son has always been a tall and gangly white kid, when he started getting older he would ask us to take him to the local rec center to play pick up games. He went to a lily-white private school and the culture schock was real for him. I remember once picking him up, he had to be almost 15 at the time, and he said, "Dad, these black guys all call me the n-word-- what's with that? Why do they do that? etc."

And I had no real good answer. I think I told it either means they like you or maybe it's just used like "dude". But it was a great teaching moment to a) never, ever, ever, ever, no matter what say or write that word and just pretend it doesn't exist and ignore it when you hear it..

YMMV

Part of my lecture on Language and Culture in my Into to Communications and Interpersonal Communications classes centered around reclaiming words. The n-word is a reclaiming word.  (As is bitch and the f word for gays)

My students really understood the lecture, asked questions, and the conversation in class was always cordial. I encourage those who weren’t apart of those communities, especially related to the n word, to ask questions if they had them as my class was an open classroom. The few Black students I had in those classes would also share their experiences and their thoughts, and overall during my years of teaching, this lecture was always positive. 

Until…

I always ended the lecture above with this question—what happens when another culture adopts the n word and they start saying it? My students would always look puzzled and ask “dr. Pancho, what do you mean?” And I’d have to explain that I, a Black man, have personally started to hear more Latinos use the n word than Black people. Then I asked my students, “should I be offended at that? Should I say something?”

I just always leave it there and allow the class to dictate the conversation. It’s very, very interesting. What’s more interesting is the amount of Latinos who start to realize that oh shit, they and their homies actually do use the n word and then they wonder if they should stop. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

You could set that story in Southlake or Allen and it wouldn't shock me in the least. 

Or in suburban Houston or Austin as well. Let’s keep it real.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Part of my lecture on Language and Culture in my Into to Communications and Interpersonal Communications classes centered around reclaiming words. The n-word is a reclaiming word.  (As is bitch and the f word for gays)

My students really understood the lecture, asked questions, and the conversation in class was always cordial. I encourage those who weren’t apart of those communities, especially related to the n word, to ask questions if they had them as my class was an open classroom. The few Black students I had in those classes would also share their experiences and their thoughts, and overall during my years of teaching, this lecture was always positive. 

Until…

I always ended the lecture above with this question—what happens when another culture adopts the n word and they start saying it? My students would always look puzzled and ask “dr. Pancho, what do you mean?” And I’d have to explain that I, a Black man, have personally started to hear more Latinos use the n word than Black people. Then I asked my students, “should I be offended at that? Should I say something?”

I just always leave it there and allow the class to dictate the conversation. It’s very, very interesting. What’s more interesting is the amount of Latinos who start to realize that oh shit, they and their homies actually do use the n word and then they wonder if they should stop. 

Are you?  Do you?

Is the n-word a term of endearment amongst homies, regardless of race, now? Does that mean the reclamation project was successful? Can I audit one of your classes?

2 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Are you?  Do you?

Is the n-word a term of endearment amongst homies, regardless of race, now? Does that mean the reclamation project was successful? Can I audit one of your classes?

Goes back to the idea that black people are not a monolith. Maybe it's a case by case basis. And how much of it is cultural? Rappers is obvious, but what about this as a relevant and topical example:

49 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Goes back to the idea that black people are not a monolith. Maybe it's a case by case basis. And how much of it is cultural? Rappers is obvious, but what about this as a relevant and topical example:

You can't be serious.png

• Haha 1

No one like to feel excluded, but reality is what it is. While I look forward to the day when folks of different races see no meaningful distinction standing between one another, (as was so eloquently stated by the visionary Marley) today is not that day.

White folks who chafe at the reality of the n word, forbidden to them, but not forbidden to black folks, can fuck off. Equality between races will not be achieved by denying that there are different races. I am willing to wager the Venn diagram of those who so chafe and those who denigrate the value of diversity describes a complete circle.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

Are you?  Do you?

Am I offended when I hear Latinos say the n word? No.

When I first heard it, I was in the locker room at the gym. I legit couldn’t start my workout for 15 minutes because I was thinking “should I be offended at that?” 

Other Black folk here may have a different opinion but for some reason, I’m just not offended.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

When I first heard it, I was in the locker room at the gym. I legit couldn’t start my workout for 15 minutes because I was thinking “should I be offended at that?” 

Other Black folk here may have a different opinion but for some reason, I’m just not offended.

You were an adult the first time it happened? So I guess you didn’t go to a public school in Texas anytime in the last 20 years. Wait until you see this haircut called “The Edgar” that Latinos love— will make the broccoli cut look downright professional.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Pancho said:

Out of curiosity, would the complexion of the Latino, saying this word, impact your reaction. Some Latinos have dark skin and others lighter. Comedians like Tom Segura and Louis CK are both Latino but look like they’re Irish due to mixed heritage.

as a white guy, I stay far far away from any non-African American using the word. Honesty I’m not a fan of hearing anyone use it. If I was at a happy hour with my African American friends or co-workers and it was used more than once, I’m quietly moving away from the conversation. Zero benefit, and potentially harm, in me being there. 

Ultimately it becomes impossible to universally decide who does and doesn’t get to use the n word.

• Hook 'Em 2

Context is the overriding factor, and while some may be complicated, most are not. My observation has been that there are Latinos from big cities raised in predominantly Black areas (or fairly even Black and Hispanic) and they have a shared culture, which can include Latinos using the n-word in a similar manner. There are also some areas where street gangs have created a divide and Latino street gangs use the term derogatively. Like the guy in the video says, if you're on the inside, its part of the culture, if your on the outside, it's offensive. I've been in plenty of circles of Black people who use the word referring to their inside circle, but I'm no where near the inside enough to ever use it, and I probably wouldn't anyway. It's pretty darn easy to know whether you can use it yourself, if it's even a close question, the answer is no, don't say the word.

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Out of curiosity, would the complexion of the Latino, saying this word, impact your reaction. Some Latinos have dark skin and others lighter. Comedians like Tom Segura and Louis CK are both Latino but look like they’re Irish due to mixed heritage.

as a white guy, I stay far far away from any non-African American using the word. Honesty I’m not a fan of hearing anyone use it. If I was at a happy hour with my African American friends or co-workers and it was used more than once, I’m quietly moving away from the conversation. Zero benefit, and potentially harm, in me being there. 

Ultimately it becomes impossible to universally decide who does and doesn’t get to use the n word.

Interesting question.  On my mother's side, all from Mexico & Iberia.  The shorter, darker relatives seem to be the most racist now that I think about it.  Must be something to it.  It goes that way for all her distant relatives as well.  Some of them married very white Anglos, including me.  But I still look quite Hispanic and Spanish was my first language.  Very dark brown eyes, probably 50th%ile colored skin, almost black and straight hair (only appears lighter now in contrast to all the grey coming in as I age).  I pride myself on not being racist, Lobo as you can tell just hates everybody the same.  

But yeah, in looking at our extended family and all of the family friends...the more "Hispanic" they look...yeah, the more outwardly racist they tend to be.  My oldest uncle was very light skinned and tall and went by an Anglo name despite his Spanish sounding birth name.  And he was the sweetest man I ever knew, not a mean bone in his body towards anybody.  Some of my shorter, darker relatives probably use the "N-word" on a daily basis. 

Never really thought of that until this post. /not-so-cool-story-bro  

What's the ruling on the n-word if you have black in you from a mom or dad? 1/4 to 1/8 it's maybe more case-by-case? I assume bi-racial (50/50) is auto, no review or replay necessary (e.g. Drake, J. Cole).

On 4/22/2024 at 12:23 PM, mdmost said:

You could set that story in Southlake or Allen and it wouldn't shock me in the least. 

Don’t fucking lump in Allen with Southlake. Lucas or Prosper though have at it.

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I do have some more insight into it but it’s honestly not worth it. Mike mike and his brother and his family said it happened and I’m gonna leave it at that. There were lots of rumors of ulterior motives behind the move though. I will say this I watched him play in elementary school and he was always the best athlete on the field.

My kids play sports in Allen and I will say that football and basketball are more diverse than baseball at the youth level.  Allen as a whole seems more diverse than those other places. Maybe it’s just what I’m around though.

23 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Maybe that's one rare example then. Then again, you got a lot of Jan 6 realtors up that way. 

I was just trying to say we’re not as rich and as assholeish as the southlakes of the world lol, never said we didn’t have our share of crazies…

My church is holding its Justice Revival next week and for the first time ever, one of the three preachers is white and the pastor of a very large, prominent church in Dallas. I think it’s past time for this kind of exchange to occur because white progressives need to be heard from when it comes to role the church should play in advancing the cause Biblically based social justice.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

right thread for this content? 

https://wvpublic.org/white-supremacist-group-marches-though-downtown-charleston-saturday/

White Supremacist Group Marches Though Downtown Charleston Saturday

On the same day the YWCA Charleston had a Race to End Racism in the capitol city, a group of men from the white supremacist group Patriot Front marched through the streets of downtown.

Witnesses reported the seeing the men unload two U-Haul trucks at Daniel Boone Park and marching to the Capitol in front of the statue of Confederate General Stonewall Jackson, on Kanawha Boulevard and California Street. They then marched down the boulevard and turned onto Capitol Street.

I still love the subtle commentary on Sicilians in that scene.  They can't shut up, they use violence when it's not necessary, they were easily frustrated and outwitted by a drunk night watchman.  And the kicker is, they went through all that trouble because they were too fucking stupid to thoroughly search Hopper's trailer for clues as to Clarence's whereabouts despite it being the size of a large walk-in closet?  They immediately go for incessant chatter and violence instead of doing their due diligence and not setting off alerts by talking to neighbors and blasting high caliber ammo.  The tacit theme is repeated again when Gandolfini risks alerting the police by starting a very loud and violent attempted murder of Alabama in a crowded hotel on a busy street instead of just looking around the room more thoroughly.  And the final kicker, they don't bother scoping out the hotel, they just bust in the producer's suite and start blasting in broad daylight not even sizing up the machine guns or the cops in there.  I love that movie and always loved those little, overlooked details.  

and as irony would have it, they have become one of the most racist groups of people on Earth.  

Back to racism in America.......the final UT DDCE event (our DEI office basically) is on 6 May at Thompson Conf. Center.  You can still register to attend for the Tower Awards.  It will be recipients of myriad awards for both students and staff/faculty alike.  Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Jewish, Muslim, et. al.  All peacefully breaking bread together in common purpose of advancing academic study and community inclusion.  So naturally, I expect some assholes to come along and fuck up this Swan Song.  

Why are we still like this?  

• Haha 1