Game #12 P.B. - #6 Texas @ Texas Tech, 8pm, ESPN (Tech's Second Super Bowl of the week)

Js1

16 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It’s only one game but I feel like Terrys chance to be coach just took a huge hit. That’s one you need to win.  

Meh. We should all be on the same page that the tournament is going to determine his fate, not where we finish in the Big 12 standings. 

I could give a rats ass who wins the regular conference title each year in any sport except football. Give me a deep postseason run as the 3rd place conference finisher vs conference champs and a round of 32 exit.

Edited by Hookem2147

I heard a baseball analogy once that I think pertains to basketball. As a baseball pitcher in the MLB you will get about 30 starts if you are healthy. In 10 of those starts you are going to have your A-type stuff, in 10 more you will have your average stuff and in the other 10 you are going to have your shit stuff and have to battle through. Your goal is to win 90% of your starts where you have your A-stuff, 60-65%% where you have your average stuff and find a way to steal a few when you have your shit stuff.

We had our shit stuff tonight and couldn’t overcome it. There was a few other games this year where we had our shit stuff and found a way (Rice, OSU on the road). 

Live and learn. We were due for one of these games with how frequently we’ve gotten behind and found a way to wiggle out of it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I heard a baseball analogy once that I think pertains to basketball. As a baseball pitcher in the MLB you will get about 30 starts if you are healthy. In 10 of those starts you are going to have your A-type stuff, in 10 more you will have your average stuff and in the other 10 you are going to have your shit stuff and have to battle through. Your goal is to win 90% of your starts where you have your A-stuff, 60-65%% where you have your average stuff and find a way to steal a few when you have your shit stuff.

We had our shit stuff tonight and couldn’t overcome it. There was a few other games this year where we had our shit stuff and found a way (Rice, OSU on the road). 

Live and learn. We were due for one of these games with how frequently we’ve gotten behind and found a way to wiggle out of it.

Now that you related this whole occurrence to pitching in baseball, I finally understand basketball.

Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I heard a baseball analogy once that I think pertains to basketball. As a baseball pitcher in the MLB you will get about 30 starts if you are healthy.

In 10 of those starts you are going to have your A-type stuff

Usually against the worst teams in the league

in 10 more you will have your average stuff

Usually against a team that is your equal

in the other 10 you are going to have your shit stuff and have to battle through.

Normally happens when playing the best teams in the league. Or the guys were out too late the night before and lost to a team they should have beat.

That's my take on great, average and poor performances. obviously not going to be accurate 100% of the time

7 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

If we had a good point guard, we'd have won. We might even be undefeated. But we have a broken shell of one, and we're paying the price for it. 

Doesn't seem he ever got over losing his coach. Guessing that's the only reason he came here and he didn't want to be here once that happened. Or he's been carrying a nagging injury. Only 2 reasons I can think of why a guy would start the season so well then turn to complete shit once his coach is fired. 

What a horrible loss to the conference cellar team. 

28 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This. Spinning this loss in any form or fashion is….. aggy

This.

Tired of hearing excuses.  They have good players, they're well coached, blah blah blah

We have good players.  We are well coached.  We laid a big fat egg on the road in Lubbock because we weren't prepared and didn't seem motivated at all.  Too many guys barely showed up. 

It's an abysmal loss.  Period. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Poor start, and Rice early foul trouble engaged Carr hero ball (because needed to stay in the game). I normally would never fuck with the starting rotation this deep into the season but changes are needed. Terry has no interest in developing a real role for mitchell to keep Ds honest and Hunter with zero confidence = 5 v 3 to start the game. 

So much bitching/doom and gloom in this thread.  It was a shitty regular season road performance against an average team that made bank shots representing the winning margin and otherwise got most of the breaks.  This happens to every single team in basketball over the course of a season.

• Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We have nothing for Mitchell besides offensive rebounds and put backs. We run more lobs for Bishop than we seemingly do for Mitchell

Well, we had to play Mitchell 9 minutes last night because of how bad he is defensively. 

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well, we had to play Mitchell 9 minutes last night because of how bad he is defensively. 

Then maybe, as someone said, we should stop starting the game 5 on 3 with Mitchell and Hunter.  No wonder we keep getting into big holes in the 1st half 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Yeah, Hunter and Mitchell are zeros right now.

Did we promise a starting spot to Mitchell while recruiting him?  He doesn't do anything.

I realize he only played 10 minutes, but I think those would be better served coming off the bench using his athleticism.

Start Carr, Rice, Cunningham, Allen, Disu

Second group: Mitchell, Bishop, Hunter and Morris

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Tylerocks said:

Yeah, Hunter and Mitchell are zeros right now.

Did we promise a starting spot to Mitchell while recruiting him?  He doesn't do anything.

I realize he only played 10 minutes, but I think those would be better served coming off the bench using his athleticism.

Start Carr, Rice, Cunningham, Allen, Disu

Second group: Mitchell, Bishop, Hunter and Morris

I’d keep Rice off the bench because he just picks up those 2 first half fouls so quickly. Maybe Morris for a change over Hunter to start? Idk 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Outside of 1 good game against West Virginia, Morris has been worse than Hunter. Their +/- isn’t close.

He is not ready to run an offense for 15-20 minutes a game and I don’t want Carr playing on the ball for that long either.

So it’s Rice, who gets into foul trouble too quickly, or stick with a black hole on offense

Day Valentine GIF

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So it’s Rice, who gets into foul trouble too quickly, or stick with a black hole on offense

Day Valentine GIF

If there was an easy fix, it would have happened. There are trade offs to every decision. It's mid-February with 5 games left. It's probably time to accept that we are who we are, both the good and the bad. Our floor and ceiling are still relatively high 

The bottom line from the way I see it is Morris is not playing close to a level to take meaningful minutes from anyone and I don't want to take Carr away from playing off the ball or prevent Rice from playing off the ball/attacking from the wings.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

It's mid-February with 5 games left. It's probably time to accept that we are who we are, both the good and the bad. Our floor and ceiling are still relatively high 

Pretty much. Same goes for those who think Hunter will find it. There’s 5 games left. It’s been gone since December. It ain’t coming back. 

Just now, Js1 said:

Pretty much. Same goes for those who think Hunter will find it. There’s 5 games left. It’s been gone since December. It ain’t coming back. 

Is he gone? Or is this who he is? His 3point %, FT% and turnover numbers are better than last year and his FG% is pretty much the same as last year. His assist numbers are down and he's averaging 1 point less a game, but maybe I got my hopes too high based on what he did in 1 tournament game, which inflated his already mediocre offensive numbers last year dramatically.

Now, as a defensive player I'm not sure what to think but je obviously doesn't seem like the guy from Iowa State. He has struggled with the quicker guards in the league but he doesn't seem to be alone in that. Harmon/Nowell/George/Cryer are good players. He seemed much more active last year and earlier this year but I'm not going to pretend that I watched a bunch of Iowa State last year.

Carr and Disu were good enough … Hunter and Allen sucked this game on both ends of the court and I hold them accountable with the coaches for the loss.

Tech basically used its size to bully and beat Texas, and that will be the MO for teams from here on out to the extent that refs allow really physical play (which seems to be the norm when Texas is playing)

Allen was particularly disappointing…
Hunter has been a persistent issue and needs to sit when he can’t seem to make simple plays or play decent defense (which was supposed to be his forte)

It’s just one game, but a particularly painful one

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Yes in the big picture it's only one game from a team  that has an aggyesque hard on for Texas however, Tech's tactics will be used by other teams and we could just easily get bounced round 1.

We may very well get bounced early if we play shitty, but would much prefer playing through and learning via conference games like last night compared to UH, for example, who can play their D game and still win by double digits in that shitty league.

Why do people think going deep in the tournament is all that matter? We can both be good in conference play and go deep in the tournament. Those things are not mutually exclusive.  If we are consistently good in conference play (like KU has been), the odds of doing well in the tournament also probably go up. I rather be like KU than VCU.

On 2/14/2023 at 5:02 AM, Rockethorn1978 said:

I missed the game completely with being sick all day and asleep so I’m up at 4:30 watching replay. This shows how good the big 12 is and the difference between a last place team from any other conference and tech. 

You must have listened to Fran Fraschila say this about 25,000 times during the broadcast.

God damn, that dude is such a fucking beating. He has three or four talking points that he just repeats all fucking game long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

You must have listened to Fran Fraschila say this about 25,000 times during the broadcast.

God damn, that dude is such a fucking beating. He has three or four talking points that he just repeats all fucking game long.

I’m fairly certain he is an AI chatbot at this point.

• Haha 2

Why do people think going deep in the tournament is all that matter? We can both be good in conference play and go deep in the tournament. Those things are not mutually exclusive.  If we are consistently good in conference play (like KU has been), the odds of doing well in the tournament also probably go up. I rather be like KU than VCU.

Texas is not a participation ribbon level program … and it’s implied that going deep in the tourney means you did pretty well in the conference … I don’t think anyone sober would prefer Texas be like VCU rather than Kansas

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i don't know, but that's how it's been for at least 20 years, probably longer. 

My point being if we are good in conference play, we will get awarded a lower seed, which helps in advancing deeper in the tourney. Sure there are upsets but that's my preferred path rather than limping into the toruney and making a surprise deep run.