2023 NCAA Tournament - Elite 8

Pancho

Just now, Captain Obvious said:

History repeating itself indeed.  Gonzaga beats UCLA on a miracle/bad shot, the media starts saying this might be their year, then they promptly gets the shit kicked out of them the next game.

The way this game is trending, "getting the shit kicked out of them" is not going to describe the result well enough.

For all the pub, highlights and whatnot Gonzaga has generated over the past decade, playing in their conference has done them no favors come tourney time.  The rumors of them possibly moving to the Big 12 for basketball only, if they come to fruition, would do them more good in the long run.  However, that might take years, and who knows how long Few sticks around.

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

For all the pub, highlights and whatnot Gonzaga has generated over the past decade, playing in their conference has done them no favors come tourney time.  The rumors of them possibly moving to the Big 12 for basketball only, if they come to fruition, would do them more good in the long run.  However, that might take years, and who knows how long Few sticks around.

Come on... they played Texas,  Michigan state,  Xavier,  Purdue, Kentucky, Baylor and Alabama in the preseason. Yeah,  their league sucks but they schedule a tougher preseason than anyone in the country. Big time games don't scare them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

cougar high says hello.

So after tonight, there will be one team left from the top 12 teams entering the tournament.

I've been to a number of forums for different basketball schools. The most overused statement I see is, "if only we could have won that game our path was wide open!" No fucking shit, sherlock. EVERYONE'S path is wide open!

I mean- I’d love to think we are the favorites to win it all but this UConn team has been fucking awesome all tournament and if they play like this I don’t give us any more than 1 shot in 10 to beat these guys. 
And I say that as someone who filled out Texas to win it all and bet them at 22-1 to win the tournament before the tournament started.  They are fucking scary good. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- I’d love to think we are the favorites to win it all but this UConn team has been fucking awesome all tournament and if they play like this I don’t give us any more than 1 shot in 10 to beat these guys. 
And I say that as someone who filled out Texas to win it all and bet them at 22-1 to win the tournament before the tournament started.  They are fucking scary good. 

If you want to crown them, then crown their ass

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

UConn is scary, maybe the favorite right now

Clear cut favorite. You'll see it from Vegas in an hour or so once this pillaging of Gonzaga is done. Even money, probably less, to win the title. 

But the tournament is a game 7 every time out. Off night shooting, someone twists an ankle, whatever. We've seen it. Teams that are clear cut become victims.

And it's the beauty of the event and why it's the greatest that sport has to offer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

Clear cut favorite. You'll see it from Vegas in an hour or so once this pillaging of Gonzaga is done. Even money, probably less, to win the title. 

But the tournament is a game 7 every time out. Off night shooting, someone twists an ankle, whatever. We've seen it. Teams that are clear cut become victims.

And it's the beauty of the event and why it's the greatest that sport has to offer. 

The winner of the UConn/Texas Miami game cruises in the final

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

E342E9CF-5B1A-48DA-B417-6D426939B885.thumb.jpeg.8aa074af663702c0438a3de2396b4802.jpeg

they found people and turn the ball over a little toto much. that's it. that's all of their weaknesses. they can win any way you want to. they're for sure the scariest team remaining. last night we took terrible shots for most of the 1H, we got no second chance points, we missed a bunch of FTs, we had serious foul trouble, and we had no disu, and we still just punked a good xavier team. that's how this uconn team is. they can have a below average game and still beat you comfortably.

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

The winner of the UConn/Texas Miami game cruises in the final

Not really. Not even close.

Alabama is the closest this tournament has to a pro team. San Diego State just beat that team into submission. FAU is the best-coached team in the tournament and just took care of the mighty SEC and Big 12, in succession. 

Nothing's a done deal. Again, every game is a game 7 and cruising doesn't exist at this point. Nor on the first day of the tournament. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Pathetic showing by Zags

No surprise. They should have lost to TCU if not for some shitty reffing. UCLA didn't score a FG for 11min and still almost won.

But these dorks will be back here next year with a high seed because they play in a shit ass conference where the #2 team is levels below them. And they will get smashed a few rounds in.

• Hook 'Em 1

this gonzaga team was not the gonzaga of old.

We can take UConn.  we owe those bitches anyway.  just like we owe Miami.  We owe FAU for hiring Herman.  I'm not sure we owe Creighton, SDSU but we will owe them if we face them.

All your base-ketball are belong to us.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

No surprise. They should have lost to TCU if not for some shitty reffing. UCLA didn't score a FG for 11min and still almost won.

But these dorks will be back here next year with a high seed because they play in a shit ass conference where the #2 team is levels below them. And they will get smashed a few rounds in.

I mean, they went to the elite eight as a 3 seed. That’s pretty good. 

26 minutes ago, pops said:

Come on... they played Texas,  Michigan state,  Xavier,  Purdue, Kentucky, Baylor and Alabama in the preseason. Yeah,  their league sucks but they schedule a tougher preseason than anyone in the country. Big time games don't scare them. 

They have to do that in the non-conference because, like you said, their conference sucks. Didn’t Huggins weigh in on Gonzaga this year and how they would do in the Big-12? I don’t hate Gonzaga but, I do tire of the consistent love fest that builds each season.

• Pancho unpinned this topic