Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Please elobrate on these "better" coaches by naming them.

I agree with you but I am pretty sure we enquired about several coaches besides Terry and none were interested.

I don't know of anything like that.  That's @closetojumping's thing and he rightfully wouldn't share that information.  

I have been one of the loudest RT advocates here honestly because I got tired of seeing him get dogged on a home site, but there are 100 coaches with a better resume than Rodney's, however, Rodney did win here even though the sample size is pretty small. 

Better than RT so far?  I mean where do I start?  NBA?  Just college?  Self, Calipari, Bennett, Hurley, Beard, Larrinaiga, etc.  There are way better resumes but as I've said repeatedly, RT did well enough to win this job.

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I don't know of anything like that.  That's @closetojumping's thing and he rightfully wouldn't share that information.  

I have been one of the loudest RT advocates here honestly because I got tired of seeing him get dogged on a home site, but there are 100 coaches with a better resume than Rodney's, however, Rodney did win here even though the sample size is pretty small. 

Better than RT so far?  I mean where do I start?  NBA?  Just college?  Self, Calipari, Bennett, Hurley, Beard, Larrinaiga, etc.  There are way better resumes but as I've said repeatedly, RT did well enough to win this job.

I agree. I think RT will do just fine.

I think that Eltife loves to be in front of the camera, and I believe that half the internet tales about his heavy involvement in coaching hires are started by Eltife himself.

All of the message board rumors and stories about him sound like they were written by his hype man. 

Essentially, "So everyone in the BOR was sitting around with their thumbs up their butts, and then Eltife charged in and said we have to move now and then it happened"

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Please elobrate on these "better" coaches by naming them.

I agree with you but I am pretty sure we enquired about several coaches besides Terry and none were interested.

It goes against my approach on this site to engage with dipshits I have put on ignore, but closetohumping quoted you and referenced me, so fuck it. 

You're nothing but a water carrier for the coaches at Texas, irrespective of who that coach is. It's why I gladly put you on ignore, years ago, and forgot about you. You put this exact type of post up regarding Shaka Smart numerous times, for the better part of a half decade. You were laughably wrong then and you're laughably wrong now.

"elobrate" on "better" coaches? This isn't a subjective topic where "I have my opinion and you can have yours, thank you very much." works as an approach. Objectively, there are a minimum of 75 coaches with a better resume for a major college basketball head coaching role than Rodney Terry. He was never a candidate for a HC job at Texas in prior periods, for good reason. He left a HC role to be an assistant at Texas because his HC career had stagnated into the backwaters of the sport. If you can't understand the absolute truth that there is a fucking panoply of better options, on paper, than Rodney Terry for the job, then there's nothing to "elobrate" on worth anyone's time.

Terry got the job at Texas because of a PR campaign by his players, former players - specifically TJ Ford made a ridiculous push, recruits, assistants, and the media. BTW, one of those recruits and several of the players who *had* to have Rodney Terry as the head coach have now headed elsewhere. Even these parties making the push used the term, repeatedly, about hiring Terry that Texas "had to", mostly, just, well, because they "had to."

Regarding "I am pretty sure we enquired about several coaches besides Terry and none were interested", no, you aren't "pretty sure" because what you stated is factually incorrect. They reached out to Donavan and Wright, and neither had any interest in leaving their current gigs. Wright claimed he wouldn't leave his studio gig unless it was a perfect NBA job. We'll see if that remains true. That's 2 guys. 

Beyond that, there weren't any hard no's. Calipari was pretty fucking overt in his interest if the money was right. Del Conte and Miller have a ton of network overlap, are the same age, and know each other relatively well. I'll stop there due to the absurdity of the rest of it. There was a ton of fucking interest in the role and those who have been inside of Moody this year for a game played a keen role in driving interest for the role. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I think that Eltife loves to be in front of the camera, and I believe that half the internet tales about his heavy involvement in coaching hires are started by Eltife himself.

All of the message board rumors and stories about him sound like they were written by his hype man. 

Essentially, "So everyone in the BOR was sitting around with their thumbs up their butts, and then Eltife charged in and said we have to move now and then it happened"

I don't know many of the Internet stories about him, but I do know multiple people that consider the man a friend and talk to him regularly. The guy "gets" the importance of sports at Texas. I've never heard he was much of a meddler. I find it fucking idiotic that people on this board think the most pro-UT sports regent Texas has had since the Hicks brothers is actually a problem for us as fans. Anyone that finds themselves thinking that needs to get a fucking grip

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It goes against my approach on this site to engage with dipshits I have put on ignore, but closetohumping quoted you and referenced me, so fuck it. 

You're nothing but a water carrier for the coaches at Texas, irrespective of who that coach is. It's why I gladly put you on ignore, years ago, and forgot about you. You put this exact type of post up regarding Shaka Smart numerous times, for the better part of a half decade. You were laughably wrong then and you're laughably wrong now.

"elobrate" on "better" coaches? This isn't a subjective topic where "I have my opinion and you can have yours, thank you very much." works as an approach. Objectively, there are a minimum of 75 coaches with a better resume for a major college basketball head coaching role than Rodney Terry. He was never a candidate for a HC job at Texas in prior periods, for good reason. He left a HC role to be an assistant at Texas because his HC career had stagnated into the backwaters of the sport. If you can't understand the absolute truth that there is a fucking panoply of better options, on paper, than Rodney Terry for the job, then there's nothing to "elobrate" on worth anyone's time.

Terry got the job at Texas because of a PR campaign by his players, former players - specifically TJ Ford made a ridiculous push, recruits, assistants, and the media. BTW, one of those recruits and several of the players who *had* to have Rodney Terry as the head coach have now headed elsewhere. Even these parties making the push used the term, repeatedly, about hiring Terry that Texas "had to", mostly, just, well, because they "had to."

Regarding "I am pretty sure we enquired about several coaches besides Terry and none were interested", no, you aren't "pretty sure" because what you stated is factually incorrect. They reached out to Donavan and Wright, and neither had any interest in leaving their current gigs. Wright claimed he wouldn't leave his studio gig unless it was a perfect NBA job. We'll see if that remains true. That's 2 guys. 

Beyond that, there weren't any hard no's. Calipari was pretty fucking overt in his interest if the money was right. Del Conte and Miller have a ton of network overlap, are the same age, and know each other relatively well. I'll stop there due to the absurdity of the rest of it. There was a ton of fucking interest in the role and those who have been inside of Moody this year for a game played a keen role in driving interest for the role. 

Nothing enraged me more than seeing the uninformed Dick Vitales of the world demanding that Texas hire RT, and crying about the injustice of not doing so. It only made me more confident that he is not the guy. If he was "the guy", we would just know. You wouldn't have to tell us.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know many of the Internet stories about him, but I do know multiple people that consider the man a friend and talk to him regularly. The guy "gets" the importance of sports at Texas. I've never heard he was much of a meddler. I find it fucking idiotic that people on this board think the most pro-UT sports regent Texas has had since the Hicks brothers is actually a problem for us as fans. Anyone that finds themselves thinking that needs to get a fucking grip

people love shitting on potential problems before they are problems. remember last week when people had Campbell penciled into the portal because he wasn't playing in the Spring Game.

add in a level of complexity and lack of understanding that people have with Regents. he went to Texas. he is clearly pro Texas sports. he spent a bunch of time in politics, starting at the local level and finishing as a state senator. he isn't some dummy.

i know people who know him as well, and during his time as state senator they pretty universally  said he was a good dude if that matters.

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Depends on your perspective, who you hear things from and what you see and hear for yourself. 
Fully understand why that would be your perception. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

This is correct. Also, the reason so many of us were against the hire. None of it matters now but this is what happens when everything gets run through a PR filter. 
On paper, Tech may have gotten a better coach than us. Will be interesting to compare the actual results over three years or so. 
Has anyone seen anything concrete on whether Coach Bob is staying?  

19 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m so confused, if all the current players love RT why are they portaling out?

By 'they', you mean a guy who was asked to redshirt and a disgruntled guard who thought he should have played more this year? Two guys on a 12 man roster.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

By 'they', you mean a guy who was asked to redshirt and a disgruntled guard who thought he should have played more this year? Two guys on a 12 man roster.

They as in “current players”. Most graduated. Your job as a coach is to recruit guys back. He was a for sure starter moving forward. 

31 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

They as in “current players”. Most graduated. Your job as a coach is to recruit guys back. He was a for sure starter moving forward. 

You said "if the all the current players love RT, why are they portaling out?" when there has been 2 guys enter their name in the portal.

The job of the head coach of the University of Texas goes a hell of a lot deeper than convincing Arterio Morris and Rowan Brumbaugh to return for their second seasons.

What if recruiting Arterio Morris back required a promise that you wouldn't recruit a portal guard? Or if he and his circle demanded a certain role? Or a certain number of minutes? Or NIL demands that would have hindered the ability to address other parts of the roster? There a million moving pieces to the portal and constructing a roster.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

You said "if the all the current players love RT, why are they portaling out?" when there has been 2 guys enter their name in the portal.

The job of the head coach of the University of Texas goes a hell of a lot deeper than convincing Arterio Morris and Rowan Brumbaugh to return for their second seasons.

What if recruiting Arterio Morris back required a promise that you wouldn't recruit a portal guard? Or if he and his circle demanded a certain role? Or a certain number of minutes? Or NIL demands that would have hindered the ability to address other parts of the roster? There a million moving pieces to the portal and constructing a roster.

Lol we have 4 returning players. 2 of 4. Not 2 of 14. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol we have 4 returning players. 2 of 4. Not 2 of 14. 

We have 7 scholarship players with eligibility remaining. Two (one of which never played a minute here and redshirted) decided to leave and two decided to enter the NBA draft while maintaining college eligibility.

So to confirm, you believe all 4 of those decisions are an indictment of the head coach?

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We have 7 scholarship players with eligibility remaining. Two (one of which never played a minute here and redshirted) decided to leave and two decided to enter the NBA draft while maintaining college eligibility.

So to confirm, you believe all 4 of those decisions are an indictment of the head coach?

False. You’re counting scrubs to make your point more valid. We have 4 legit guys returning.

dylan, tyrese, Brock, and Alex.

mitchell gone, morris gone, brumbaugh gone.

19 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

homer-simpson-the-simpsons.gif

I need a portal commit bad ok. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol. Sorry I don’t include Cole bott and perryman. Guys that will Never sniff the fucking floor. 

Tyrese Hunter, Arterio Morris, Brumbaugh, Dylan Disu, Dillon Mitchell, Cunningham and Anamekwe is 7 guys, all with eligibility remaining. Two chose to enter the portal. Welcome to college basketball.

This conversation is over. I'm sorry you can't count to 7.

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Tyrese Hunter, Arterio Morris, Brumbaugh, Dylan Disu, Dillon Mitchell, Cunningham and Anamekwe is 7 guys, all with eligibility remaining. Two chose to enter the portal. Welcome to college basketball.

This conversation is over. I'm sorry you can't count to 7.

Lmao. Yes welcome to RT not being able to convince a 5 star Pg with no incoming competition to stay on as the starter. That was my point. Beard convinced an entire group to stay so we could do what we did which was go to the EE. That’s gone now and we’re about to get 2-3 years of shit.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lmao. Yes welcome to RT not being able to convince a 5 star Pg with no incoming competition to stay on as the starter. That was my point. Beard convinced an entire group to stay so we could do what we did which was go to the EE. That’s gone now and we’re about to get 2-3 years of shit.

Lmao at thinking he’s a pg

4 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lmao. Yes welcome to RT not being able to convince a 5 star Pg with no incoming competition to stay on as the starter. That was my point. Beard convinced an entire group to stay so we could do what we did which was go to the EE.

5-star PG you say?  Lol. 

NCAA Basketball: NCAA Tournament Second Round-Purdue vs Texas

I guess I missed Beard convincing Askew, Courney Ramey, Tre Mitchel and Jaylon Tyson to stay.  Not to mention the year before.

What a terrible post.

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

5-star PG you say?  Lol. 

NCAA Basketball: NCAA Tournament Second Round-Purdue vs Texas

I guess I missed Beard convincing Askew, Courney Ramey, Tre Mitchel and Jaylon Tyson to stay.  Not to mention the year before.

What a terrible post.

Yea beard kept guys around and got rid of the trash and built a bad ass roster. Let’s see what RT builds which as of now isn’t much. Still waiting for a portal commit as his targets go elsewhere. 

the recruits all know that RT got the job because he happened to be the assistant on a senior laden team when the dumbass HC decided to be a dumbass.  he kept the ship from running aground, to his credit.

Normally you'd be ready for these types of scenarios if you are an A1 Athletic Director.  We probably called a few guys who passed but we decided to say "fuck it, I guess we'll see what happens and at least no one will yell at us".

maybe the SEC move helps a bit but gonna be tough 3 years methinks.

It is clear now that RT isn't inheriting much from this year and will basically be building from scratch.  How many wins next year will be a success for RT? 

If he builds a team that makes the tourney?  Makes it past the first weekend? 

It would be nice to establish the goalpost right now when things look the bleakest.  I predict that once the commits start rolling in, some people will be like "well with THIS team of course he should make the Sweet 16". 

14 minutes ago, HookEm said:

How many wins next year will be a success for RT? 

Won’t know until the roster is set. We’ll see. If we landed Shedrick, Abmas, Dunn, and Disu and Hunter both come back, things would look a lot better and he’d have to make the tournament with that + Holland

17 minutes ago, HookEm said:

It is clear now that RT isn't inheriting much from this year and will basically be building from scratch.  How many wins next year will be a success for RT? 

It would be nice to establish the goalpost right now when things look the bleakest.  I predict that once the commits start rolling in, some people will be like "well with THIS team of course he should make the Sweet 16". 

Compete for conference and conference tourney championship.  1-4 seeding in conference tournament.  Win at least one in the tournament. 

I would call this next season as being the minimum. 

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

i don't care nearly as much about results next year as i do about RT establishing a culture. as cliche as it sounds, championship programs have a culture that they recruit to, and guys either buy in or gtfo. all of the fat gets trimmed, and while the faces change year to year, the culture stays the same. 

to be clear, culture isn't hanging out with your favorite players at their dorm, or texting them hollow platitudes and "quote of the day" messages at 6am, it's establishing what type of player you want, both physically and personality wise, to fit both your style of play as well as your off court philosophies and practices. i want to see RT *clearly* establish who we are going to be, and the type of guy who fits our brand.

Tom Penders: We're going to run and gun and try to outshoot our opponents. bring on travis mays, lance blanks, terrence rencher, etc.

Rick Barnes: we're going to defend, get offensive rebounds, and be the toughest team in the league: fredie williams, royal ivey, pj tucker, james thomas; mentally tough elite players eg tj ford, kd, aj abrams, dj augustin, etc.

shaka smart: more better tomorrows + navy seal training: we recruit track athletes and ask them to run an nba offense heavily involving iso situations and three point shooting. LOLOLOLOLOL

beard: we defend first, everyone can switch, and we get high basketball iq players. he turns down keyonte george (shaka would have signed him) and takes jabari rice (shaka would have spurned him). the culture comes first, the recruits have to fit the culture.

i want to see RT establish exactly what Texas Basketball is going to be under his watch. this is our philosophy, and this is the type of player who fits that philosophy and can help us win. i want to see his players buy in to the point where they all want to return to Texas before prematurely jumping ship because a)they believe they can win it all at Texas, and b)it matters to them to be a Texas Longhorn. the year one results matter way less to me than RT establishing his own identity/culture at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 8

Compete for conference and conference tourney championship.  1-4 seeding in conference tournament.  Win at least one in the tournament. 

I would call this next season as being the minimum. 

That’s a wet dream until we see what is on the roster. Even with a couple decent to good portal transfers this team won’t sniff a 1-4 seed … way too much turnover… with maybe three strong portal transfers (if they even exist) and Hunter and Disu back, we might have a shot at a 4 seed and top 3 conference finish … but right now a tourney 8 seed and top 1/2 conference finish would be a success