Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

Well, all in all, on paper this seems like a decent team. I’d say Terry did a good job of dealing with the curveballs of the high school recruits. 

Can’t wait to watch the season.  I have mixed feelings. He managed games down the stretch even better than Barnes or Beard, but had a few suboptimal substitution decisions at times, particularly in the tournament. Should be entertaining. 

the first month of the offseason went worse than i ever imagined it would, but everything that's happened since then has more than mad duo for it. RT has built a roster that should be highly competitive in both the league and the tourney. i'm still more cautious about our prospects than most here, but we've got a really talented and deep roster that should have everyone feeling optimistic heading into the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Somebody with more basketball savvy than me . . . which is basically everybody on this board . . . what is the point of not taking the layup but instead using the backboard to feed the trailing player for a dunk?

I mean, I get it, it's exciting and gets the crowd revved, but it's also higher risk for the same reward.

#getoffmylawn

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I mean, I get it, it's exciting and gets the crowd revved, but it's also higher risk for the same reward.

The main thing is that it is an unselfish play by the guard to give up points for himself to feed the trailing player.  After a play like that, I GUARANTEE that the trailing player will be playing harder for a while.  And the whole team also gets hyped up seeing the throw down AND the unselfish play is contagious. 

If you are in a visiting arena, the whole place quiets down.  If you are at home, the whole place erupts and you likely go on an extended run.

Well worth the risk, all things considered in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

There is going to be serious roster churn for the 2024 season. RT is going to earn his salary on the trail again. Here’s to a great campaign this year to propel it!

Likely have 4-5 guys returning plus what will be a really good HS recruiting class.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

There is going to be serious roster churn for the 2024 season. RT is going to earn his salary on the trail again. Here’s to a great campaign this year to propel it!

How do we get Brock back for a 7th year?

On 6/26/2023 at 7:55 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Lots of debating about experience, shooting, defending, height, coaching, etc., but for me, the key is going to be chemistry.

If these guys can come together like last year's squad did, then the sky's the limit. If they don't, then the 'Horns will be lucky to make it to the round of 32.

In that context, I feel like Rice is the biggest loss, but as long as Brock is on campus, there's plenty of glue to go around.

Chemistry is a fickle thing. It's impossible to predict or force. The 2022-23 North Carolina team is a great example of a group of ballers with a lot of talent but no cohesion.

So we can hyper-analyze every player and position (it's what off-seasons are for!), but we really won't know how things will play out until--drum roll, please--the lights come on**.

Where is my royalty check?

On 6/26/2023 at 7:55 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

**And for once, I am using that phrase seriously instead of as a sarcastic dig against our resident Grumpy Old Man.

W

4 hours ago, HookEm said:

Honestly though, I don't see the need to add anyone else.  Every minute this guy gets will be time that Hunter or Abmas likely spends on the bench.  I want those guys getting 32+ mpg. And I want Brock getting 20+ mpg.  And I want Johnson and Weaver getting plenty of minutes so that they can take over next year.

Shit happens, especially injuries.  I'd rather too few minutes to go around than players.  

22 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Shit happens, especially injuries.  I'd rather too few minutes to go around than players.  

This. Gerry mentioned Weaver sprained his wrist on a hard fall in workouts recently and is out for a bit. I’m happy it isn’t my job to decide the rotations, but it’s nice to have another guard on the level of Horton.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Somebody with more basketball savvy than me . . . which is basically everybody on this board . . . what is the point of not taking the layup but instead using the backboard to feed the trailing player for a dunk?

#getoffmylawn

You must be white

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

The main thing is that it is an unselfish play by the guard to give up points for himself to feed the trailing player.  After a play like that, I GUARANTEE that the trailing player will be playing harder for a while.  And the whole team also gets hyped up seeing the throw down AND the unselfish play is contagious. 

If you are in a visiting arena, the whole place quiets down.  If you are at home, the whole place erupts and you likely go on an extended run.

Well worth the risk, all things considered in my opinion.

I get all that, good points.  Thanks.

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

she's a known abusive alcoholic who followed him around the house as he tried to get away from her, and despite this she she still violently attacked him. he was sober and trying to get away, she was drunk and wouldn't let it go. if you switch their genders he's the abuse victim and she's a monster. that's facts. and you know that wasn't her first time to put hands on him; it was the time where he'd finally had enough so he retaliated. again, this is holier than thou bullshit. was he wrong to put his hands on her? absolutely. is he an abusive partner/woman beater? only when it benefits your argument. otherwise, no. factually, objectively, no. stop pushing that narrative.

I can’t believe you have made up more fantasy stories in your mind and one involves Chris beard being an innocent victim 

Amazing 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3
  • Drool 1

Here is an updated guess at our minutes breakdown once we get to conference.  It is hard to find enough minutes for everyone.  The addition of Horton and Johnson actually makes us deeper than last year's team. We can go 10 deep with very little drop off.  If Anemekwe improves, it could be 11.

image.png.288dd022143dc6e55f9bb37634370f34.png

I'm assuming that we are going to start big with Mitchell, Disu and Shedrick.  However, it wouldn't surprise me for one of the guards to step up and we end up closing with a 3-guard lineup plus Mitchell and Disu.  

No matter how you slice it, there will be numerous players who are used to getting 30-35 mpg who are going to be getting more like 15.  Horton has started 83 games and may end up being our 10th best player.  It will be another test for Terry to keep everyone happy.  A huge benefit to having this level of depth is that practices will be VERY competitive.  The talent difference between the starters and the bench isn't going to be very big.  

For reference, here were last year's minutes once we hit conference with our crunch time lineup in orange.  We were basically an 8-man rotation plus ~9 minutes carved out for Arterio Morris.  

image.png.c90ea8e4cf76dfbd983b9efe001ffc28.png

• Hook 'Em 4

Disu and Mitchell will get more minutes than that. Disu is arguably the best player on the team. 

There's no way Weaver gets 20 mpg. Hes played one season in the WAC and he scored 9 ppg. He might get half that. The bottom 3 guys (on your list) most likely get less minutes as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Weaver is the biggest wildcard on the team. When I was reading the Ole Miss boards, there were reports that Beard thought Weaver was one of the top players in the portal. 

The 40.2% from 3 stat really pops as a FR when you expect Texas to have 2 guards that can really create in Abmas and Hunter. Can Weaver sit on the wing and hit open 3s? 

I have no clue how minutes distribution shakes out but Weaver seems to be the big wildcard. 

On 7/5/2023 at 1:44 PM, MotownHorn said:

Donewald joining huge piece of shit and alleged woman abuser Chris Beard at Ole Miss 

Stop with your motherfucking virtue signaling that you are 100% aware is going to trigger Derka and derail the thread.  You're every bit as messed up as he is.  You're co-dependent. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Stop with your motherfucking virtue signaling that you are 100% aware is going to trigger Derka and derail the thread.  You're every bit as messed up as he is.  You're co-dependent. 

Derka already responded relatively softly.  Maybe he’s finally taking the high road

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

For real; Derka can’t stop, he’s fucked up in the head. The rest of you have no excuse….

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

Disu and Mitchell will get more minutes than that. Disu is arguably the best player on the team. 

There's no way Weaver gets 20 mpg. Hes played one season in the WAC and he scored 9 ppg. He might get half that. The bottom 3 guys (on your list) most likely get less minutes as well.

14 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I wouldn't either as Horton has A) more size and B) more experience. 

Yeah after thinking about it, my numbers are probably off. 

Horton is a grown assed man at 24.  As a freshman, he had a similar year at Delaware to Weaver at UTA (40%+ from 3 and All Freshman team).  But since then he played 3 years in the ACC and another year for UCF scoring 12.3 ppg.  Apparently he is also a good defender.  My only real concern is his bad efficiency, but maybe that is more of a reflection of his role on less talented teams.

I think we will start with Mitchell at SF like last year, but he will play a lot of his minutes at PF when we go to smaller lineups. I also think Disu will get a ton of minutes as our small-ball center.  I also probably had too many minutes going to Onyema. 

Chris Johnson also may not be ready for more than 10 mpg.  He only averaged 6 ppg for Monteverde last year (but almost 20 ppg in a different school the year before).  Hopefully he will be ok with fewer minutes this year and a larger role next year.  He has better size than Morris though, so he may slot in well as our small-ball SF.

image.png.c49edb9eab22a763d8cb79eda61d7b45.png

It will be interesting to see what the crunch time lineup looks like.  It wouldn't surprise me at all for it to be Hunter, Abmas, Cunningham, Disu and Shedrick.  That would be an elite free throw shooting group.  Or swap Shedrick or Brock for Mitchell if he improves a lot. 

• Like 1