2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

10 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I'm not in my 20's any more.  If I was, I would be looking so forward to Saturday that I would probably start drinking hard on Thursday.  As it is now, I'll be happy to make it through TX/OU without having to take a nap and making it through Astros Game 1 without having to go to bed.

in other words, it's a great time to be alive.

• Haha 1

Championships are not won or lost in April. 

So, in 2024, when Dusty hasn't ridden off into the sunset and Machete is still starting at C and batting .095, and Bregman is batting .202, and Yordan has middle finger tendinitis, and LMJ pitches three innings, y'all better be like Fonzy instead of Hunny Bunny. 

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Championships are not won or lost in April. 

So, in 2024, when Dusty hasn't ridden off into the sunset and Machete is still starting at C and batting .095, and Bregman is batting .202, and Yordan has middle finger tendinitis, and LMJ pitches three innings, y'all better be like Fonzy instead of Hunny Bunny. 

I can't argue with your premise. It's always a long road to a title. But on the surface, it's pretty hard to spin finishing the regular season 16 games worse than a year ago as a banner season. We're pretty fortunate to have overcome all the injuries and other obstacles and be in the position we're in. Of course, what lies ahead will ultimately define how we see 2023. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Kyle Tucker had a 30/30 season — until, 20 minutes later, he suddenly didn’t

PHOENIX — Astros outfielder Kyle Tucker’s quest for a 30/30 season ended on Sunday in an enigmatic fashion only befitting his team’s befuddling regular season.

The All-Star outfielder appeared to hit an inside-the-park home run during Houston’s 8-1 win against the Diamondbacks, but four different official scoring decisions finally deemed it a triple, denying Tucker entrance into an exclusive fraternity.

No Astro has struck 30 home runs and stolen 30 bases since Hall of Famer Jeff Bagwell did it in both 1997 and 1999. Tucker finished last season with 30 home runs and 25 stolen bases. He entered Sunday’s season finale sitting on 29 home runs and 30 stolen bases.

To start the fifth inning, Tucker struck a 309-foot missile toward fill-in right fielder Jake McCarthy. The baseball exited his bat at 104.2 mph but, according to Baseball Savant, would not have been a traditional home run in any of baseball’s 30 ballparks.

McCarthy started on Sunday in place of presumptive National League Rookie of the Year Corbin Carroll, who received a day off as part of Arizona’s hangover lineup following its postseason clinch party on Saturday.

Initially, McCarthy seemed to misjudge how hard Tucker hit the baseball. He took four steps in, then watched it sail over his head and bounce around the warning track.

“When I saw it get over his head (I was thinking home run). I knew I was going to get the triple out of it,” said Tucker, who finished the season with an American League-high 112 RBIs. “Rounding second I was like, ‘I’m going to at least try it.’ It worked out.”

Tucker reached third base before the relay throw reached shortstop Jordan Lawlar. Tucker raced home when Lawlar reacted with no urgency and started running toward the infield with the baseball.

Tucker made it home standing up. Lawlar’s throw did not reach the catcher, either. No one dropped the baseball or made an obvious error. Chase Field’s official scorer, Jack Magruder, initially deemed that Tucker tripled and scored on an error on McCarthy. A few minutes later, Magruder changed his call to a triple and a fielder’s choice.

Two innings later, Magruder announced that — after consulting with the Elias Sports Bureau — Tucker would be awarded a home run. In his announcement, Magruder cited Major League Baseball Rule 9.12a, which states, in part, that “slow handling of the ball that does not involve mechanical misplay shall not be construed as an error.”

Twenty minutes later, after more consultation with the Elias Sports Bureau, the call was changed back to a triple and a fielder’s choice. In making this final announcement, Magruder used rule 9.04c, which reads, “the official scorer’s judgment must determine whether a run batted in shall be credited for a run that scores when a fielder holds the ball or throws to a wrong base.

Ordinarily, if the runner keeps going, the official scorer should credit a run batted in; if the runner stops and takes off again when the runner notices the misplay, the official scorer should credit the run as scored on a fielder’s choice.”

Kyle Tucker no longer has a home run. It remains a triple. This is the fourth official scoring change of this thing. Incredible.

— Chandler Rome (@Chandler_Rome) October 1, 2023

Though he relished the team’s American League West title and subsequent celebration, Tucker did seem confused afterward in the Astros’ clubhouse. He said the team’s iPads still showed he hit a home run.

If the ruling remained a triple, Tucker said he planned to petition the ruling in hopes of being awarded a home run and reaching the coveted milestone.

https://theathletic.com/4920029/2023/10/02/kyle-tucker-no-30-30-season/

Wouldn't a Fielder's Choice to not bother trying to throw out the runner be an error?  Or maybe the guy who misjudged the hit off the bat, and royally fucked up fielding the ball.  If there is no error, it should be a homer. 

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

https://theathletic.com/4920029/2023/10/02/kyle-tucker-no-30-30-season/

Wouldn't a Fielder's Choice to not bother trying to throw out the runner be an error?  Or maybe the guy who misjudged the hit off the bat, and royally fucked up fielding the ball.  If there is no error, it should be a homer. 

yeah really don't get how it can be not a home run and also not an error...gotta pick one

• Like 1

And here's the Tucker triple/HR video.  I didn't realize that the cutoff man did make a throw, but it was a short flip to the pitcher and not a real throw to the catcher. I'm guessing the umps did not call for the end of the play yet, so Tucker took advantage of their laziness. I don't think that should count as a homerun though. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

And here's the Tucker triple/HR video.  I didn't realize that the cutoff man did make a throw, but it was a short flip to the pitcher and not a real throw to the catcher. I'm guessing the umps did not call for the end of the play yet, so Tucker took advantage of their laziness. I don't think that should count as a homerun though. 

You of course have to account for all the bases advanced. Clearly it began as a hit. Nobody committed an error by the usual definition. Can't call it a fielder's choice with the bases empty. No can we say he stole home. Thus, it has to be ruled a 4-base hit...so give him #30. I doubt anyone would be making a big deal over it if it had happened in May. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

You of course have to account for all the bases advanced. Clearly it began as a hit. Nobody committed an error by the usual definition. Can't call it a fielder's choice with the bases empty. No can we say he stole home. Thus, it has to be ruled a 4-base hit...so give him #30. I doubt anyone would be making a big deal over it if it had happened in May. 

He made it to third, slowed down while watching the second baseman with the ball, then took off when he saw the weak lob to the pitcher. I think it could be an error on the RF for misjudging the initial hit, but also on the 2b for not holding the runner at third as anyone with a pulse would do in that situation. 

41 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

teams appeal errors / hit rulings all season 

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Next someone will argue it was "defensive indifference." Or maybe every steal of home because the defense is asleep we now should call a "fielder's choice." 

I hope Tucker now gets 10 HRs and 10 steals in October to give the pundits a 40-40 to further quibble about. 

Defensive indifference is the only way I know of to account for an extra base earned that doesn't come from a hit, error, fielders choice, wild pitch, balk, stolen base, etc.  I've never seen defensive indifference for home plate- or for a play in action, but I guess you could call it that.  Error's are always physical miscues (see- pitchers bitching when a pop fly falls in between 3 fielders with their thumbs up their ass so I don't see how that would work.  Advance on the throw always implies someone moving from 1st to second or something because the throw comes home or to another base with a play in progress- which also didn't happen here.  Weird ass play. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Defensive indifference is the only way I know of to account for an extra base earned that doesn't come from a hit, error, fielders choice, wild pitch, balk, stolen base, etc.  I've never seen defensive indifference for home plate- or for a play in action, but I guess you could call it that.  Error's are always physical miscues (see- pitchers bitching when a pop fly falls in between 3 fielders with their thumbs up their ass so I don't see how that would work.  Advance on the throw always implies someone moving from 1st to second or something because the throw comes home or to another base with a play in progress- which also didn't happen here.  Weird ass play. 

I think the only reference to DI in the rulebook is for a stolen base.

Doesn't apply to a ball that hasn't even been returned to the pitcher.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2008/official_rules/10_the_official_scorer.pdf

• Hook 'Em 1

You may be surprised to find out that hater Keith Law has the Rays then Orioles as his AL picks.  No mention of the Astros.

https://theathletic.com/4919191/2023/10/01/full-mlb-playoff-bracket/

Who should be the World Series favorite?

I have my concerns about the Braves rotation, but I have my concerns about the Dodgers’ rotation, and Atlanta had the best offense in baseball, so I think they’re the most rational pick in the NL. The Orioles led the majors in wins this year but were actually behind the Rays in runs scored and runs allowed, and now the O’s are without their All-Star closer in Félix Bautista, so I’ll give the slight edge to Tampa Bay, and would go Atlanta over Tampa for the ring. — Law

• Haha 3